• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RPG Maker (RPG Maker MV) revealed by Famitsu

massoluk

Banned
I must admit, leisurely working on your own RPG while in the subway sounds like a good draw instead of parking your butt in front of the pc. (Unless it's only for playing)

Kyuur

Being able to deploy to things other than Windows is a great step, as is the resolution bump. I also kind of laugh at the fact they finally added sideview battle support natively when it's been solved by scripts for so long, but hey, lots of people ask for it!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is it only classic RPGs or can you make SRPG maps too?

With heavy scripting you can make SRPGs, yeah. In any of the engines AFAIK. You can even do non-RPG games in them with scripting.

I doubt they'll jump from Ruby since Ruby seems to be a close "plain English" coding language for people to pick up.

Finally, the side-view battles are back. I loved 2003 because of that, worked out so many tricks back in the day to make the sprites animate more like Breath of Fire 2. Good times.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Didnt know RPG maker was full on product you pay for, I thought it was similar to the tool software you would download for mario hacks and what not like lunar.

I wish there were a lot more options for the way battles are handled, such as on-map battles like in Chrono Trigger.

RPG Maker in general is nice, but I've always been slightly put off by the inherent limitations, and I'm not sure if having to trove and implement various scripts might be worth it, not to mention generally being locked into a single style.

If there's any interest i plan to create a contest thread once this hits the west.

I'm positive there will be a trial version so everyone can try so basically. 30 day contest sounds good right? suggestions (theme? Prizes? rules? etc.) would be good Also, for prize obviously one of the prizes would be winning a copy of the program ;P

KHlover

Banned
Not surprising, but good to have confirmed. Due to RPG Maker gaining a lot of popularity in the West within the last three and a half years, it's sensible.

That recently only? Damn I remember making shitty maps with boss fights and an overpowered party in RPG Maker 2003 back in 2006 or 2007 with a (shame on young me lol) pirated version. Even got simple stuff like changing maps down.

Also remember trying to make a Pokemon fangame in RPG Maker XP and failing because I had no idea how transparency worked, so I saved all sprites in .jpg and wondered why I always ended up with the Pokemon being surrounded by a white box lol

Good times :D

The Finest Brew

Neo Member
...Huh. Lord knows I haven't worked on anything substantial since I was like 16, buuuut...well, I could see myself getting into this again. Side view battles too? Hoo damn.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That recently only? Damn I remember making shitty maps with boss fights and an overpowered party in RPG Maker 2003 back in 2006 or 2007 with a (shame on young me lol) pirated version. Even got simple stuff like changing maps down.

Also remember trying to make a Pokemon fangame in RPG Maker XP and failing because I had no idea how transparency worked, so I saved all sprites in .jpg and wondered why I always ended up with the Pokemon being surrounded by a white box lol

Good times :D

It's been around much longer and hasn't had no attention, but it's become a lot more popular recently in the West because of the rise of indie games, YouTubers playing games from it, and a few games rising in popularity made or originally from the engine.

I wish there were a lot more options for the way battles are handled, such as on-map battles like in Chrono Trigger.

RPG Maker in general is nice, but I've always been slightly put off by the inherent limitations, and I'm not sure if having to trove and implement various scripts might be worth it, not to mention generally being locked into a single style.

Embrace the limits of the tool. If people really want to make things outside of the capacities of the RPG maker then they should just learn java.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just occurred to me that the Mac version was a necessity, it'll be required for compiling for iOS. Hopefully there's no issue transferring projects between OSes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just occurred to me that the Mac version was a necessity, it'll be required for compiling for iOS. Hopefully there's no issue transferring projects between OSes.

Outside of file structures, I don't think there's anything OS specific for the engine to need.

ZeroX03

Banned
Outside of file structures, I don't think there's anything OS specific for the engine to need.

Technically there should be no issues. But RPG Maker is an odd beast, it's always two steps forward, one step back with each iteration. Can never be quite sure what oddball decisions they'll make.

ZeroX03

Banned
Official website has been updated with more information.
http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-mv

You can now create your own RPG Maker games on Macintosh. It will be released at the same time as the Windows version. RPG Maker MV users will be able to build games for the following platforms:

Windows/EXE
MacOSX/APP
Android/APK
iOS/IPA
HTML 5 for Web Browsers

Mouse & Touch Input Support
Tired of doing all actions via the keyboard? You can now play your RPG with your finger on touch devices, and mouse on computers.

Large Database
Support for twice as many items as VX Ace for a grand total of 2,000!

Battle System Modes
With a tick of a checkbox, you can switch from the classic Front View Battle to Side View.

Three Map Layers
It has an automated upper layer to make it easy to create and edit elaborate maps!

Higher Screen Resolution
The previous RPG Maker's screen resolution was 544x416 pixels. RPG Maker MV's screen resolution is now 816x624 pixels. The size of all graphical assets (including animations) are now 1.5 times the previous versions of RPG Maker. For example, characters used to be 32x32, and now they are 48x48.

Resolution bit has me worried. We should be able to specify any resolution we want without scripts or tinkering with files. Android and iOS support is obviously huge.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Trailer and details here:
http://gematsu.com/2015/08/rpg-maker-mv-first-details-trailer-screenshots

816x624? 48x48? 2000 limit for all the items, skills, equipment, monsters, characters, groups etc?

pWZ-hg.jpg

Seriously guys am i the only one to find this EXTREMELY disappointing? We are approaching the 4k resolution and this is still 624k with a sort of 4:3 aspect ratio? Games require dozens of gigabytes and this has a 2000 limit for everything?!?!

ZeroX03

Banned
Trailer and details here:
http://gematsu.com/2015/08/rpg-maker-mv-first-details-trailer-screenshots

816x624? 48x48? 2000 limit for all the items, skills, equipment, monsters, characters, groups etc?

Seriously guys am i the only one that find this EXTREMELY disappointing? We are approaching the 4k resolution and this is still 624k with a sort of 4:3 aspect ratio? Games require dozens of gigabytes and this has a 2000 limit for everything?!?!

Seeing as the mobile photos are showing the game in native phone resolution, there's probably going to be different resolutions and aspect ratios. But the series has been like this for over two decades. It's kind of to be expected at this point.

The 2000 limit doesn't mean much to me, I've never used anything close to that many. I can't think of a game that does.

Sigh ): that's a Lil disappointing ):

AFAIK you need a Mac to compile for iOS for every engine.

kevm3

Makes me wonder if they will allow Javascript since it will allow you to make games for the browser. I doubt it, but it'd be interesting. Sounds like an excellent way to beta test games too. Export to browser and let people play it there and get feedback.

Makes me wonder if they will allow Javascript since it will allow you to make games for the browser. I doubt it, but it'd be interesting. Sounds like an excellent way to beta test games too. Export to browser and let people play it there and get feedback.

•Javascript to create complex games
RPG Maker MV uses the well known JavaScript, in combination with HTML5 export.
there

anyway, OP was updated with features mentioned in the official website.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Seeing as the mobile photos are showing the game in native phone resolution, there's probably going to be different resolutions and aspect ratios. But the series has been like this for over two decades. It's kind of to be expected at this point.

The 2000 limit doesn't mean much to me, I've never used anything close to that many. I can't think of a game that does.

When rpg maker 95 was released jrpgs looked like these:
ChronoTriggerInside.PNG
MD_Phantasy_Star_4.png

Now i don't expect rpg maker games to look like ffxv but this new version of rpg maker should have been released at least 10 years ago to be generous.

kevm3

there

anyway, OP was updated with features mentioned in the official website.

Very interesting. Javascript was the first language that I learned seriously, and I'm actually learning Ruby now. I wonder how the community will react to having to learn a new language since Javascript is quite different than Ruby.

Niosai

The plugin system is what's exciting me most. Site is down at the moment, so I'm gonna ask. Is this using ruby at all?

ZeroX03

Banned
When rpg maker 95 was released jrpgs looked like these:
ChronoTriggerInside.PNG
MD_Phantasy_Star_4.png

Now i don't expect rpg maker games to look like ffxv but this new version of rpg maker should have been released at least 10 years ago to be generous.

iOS and Android didn't exist 10 years ago, and that's clearly the biggest draw for this release.

Graphically the engine hasn't changed. In fact it's regressed in places between iterations, VX's original release notably. They clearly don't intend to move forward too far. It's why it hasn't changed. And we also don't know if that resolution and aspect ratio can be changed, it could be slightly in VX ACE and there's evidence that 16:9 at the very least will be supported too.

Looking at the features, it looks more like it should have been a free patch, or a 5 bucks expansion at best. They made what seem to be minor adjustments to the engine and called it a day. Seems like a moneygrab to me.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm in the camp where I'm tentatively excited, but also agree that this is looking like a bare minimum upgrade. We're a long, long, long way from 16 bit RPGs. They could at least be matching the possible resolutions to modern expectations. I dunno. I'm hoping more features are announced between now and release.

Top Bottom