• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome story trailer [new footage]

MormaPope

Banned
The way he brutally sticks his head in the helmet makes me think he's secretly a Lego figure and has to somewhat plug his skull into his head gear. :p (seriously, it looks cool, but nobody puts on a helmet like that !)

You also gotta love how most of the soldiers have the body type of a football player from the NFL. 68 AD was the year of beef cakes and juicers.

In Ryse they should allow you to scream your name into the mic and then during the MP they can announce you or something like a taunt or something. I wish they would do more of this kind of little stuff in games.

Been looking at this gif. The collision and overall movement is amazing.

ibw6vQyQPUz3Nm.gif

The leather straps. So good. I think the strap on his chest moves too.

Karak

You also gotta love how most of the soldiers have the body type of a football player from the NFL. 68 AD was the year of beef cakes and juicers.

100+ pounds of equipment + forced marches for 24 hours, variations on food, consistently battling for 8+ hours, and variations of movement that involve a good deal of insane athletic ability. I don't see them being too big for career warriors.

I will keep an eye out for that though too because I see what you mean if guys look odd. So far haven't noticed.

shandy706

Btw. Is it just because it's an XB1 exclusive and PS4 fans are elsewhere that people around here seem to warm up a bit to XB1?

People like games. Having more exclusives at launch certainly helps for those that buy consoles for games and not just potential or specs.

Not to mention it looks incredible. (This is coming from a PC gamer that sports SLI for his graphix whoring)

The leather straps. So good. I think the strap on his chest moves too.

Hah...I didn't even notice the strap moving earlier. Nice.

Would be awesome if they can come back from their E3 showing. It wouldn't be unprecedented, the original Halo had a rough E3 before launch too. I really hope the combat is there.

Gammacide

Seeing that fat guy reminds of when we first saw footage of Andy Serkis as the King in Heavenly Sword. Incredibly impressive. I'm not making any other comparisons between those games (yet), but it just struck me as that kind of moment.

Karak

bluesashed dude

I would not put it passed them to have that in there on purpose. Since you don't fall off the cliff maybe that's when the use of the barbarian weapons comes into play that they hinted about the show floor?

I will be the first to smile when I smash some dudes heads in with a fucking stick with a rock on its end that someone decided they were going to call a mace.

Would be awesome if they can come back from their E3 showing. It wouldn't be unprecedented, the original Halo had a rough E3 before launch too. I really hope the combat is there.
As someone else said maybe Jeff Cannata was onto something.

MormaPope

Banned
100+ pounds of equipment forced marches for 24 hours, variations on food. I don't see them being too big for career warriors.

Endurance and physical discipline would be the biggest factors for a soldier in those times. They wouldn't have or need the NFL/beef cake body type. I'm also positive the actual armor and weaponry for a roman soldier wouldn't amount to being over a hundred pounds.

If the game is 900p they shouldn't be showing heavily downsampled footage in their trailers (they did it with the 'direct feed' trailer too)

There is a huge amount of AA in this trailer

But hey the deceit works, lots of 'looks greats'

Endurance and physical discipline would be the biggest factors for a soldier in those times. They wouldn't have or need the NFL/beef cake body type. I'm also positive the actual armor and weaponry for a roman soldier would amount to being over a hundred pounds.

probably something like 25-25KG. Probably even less.

Karak

Endurance and physical discipline would be the biggest factors for a soldier in those times. They wouldn't have or need the NFL/beef cake body type. I'm also positive the actual armor and weaponry for a roman soldier would amount to being over a hundred pounds.
Correct but none of them, so far are that big. Could be though. Ya it is.

100+ pounds of equipment + forced marches for 24 hours, variations on food, consistently battling for 8+ hours, and variations of movement that involve a good deal of insane athletic ability. I don't see them being too big for career warriors.

I will keep an eye out for that though too because I see what you mean if guys look odd. So far haven't noticed.

To increase muscle mass you have to have a higher intake of energy than you loose from training. Everything you mentioned would rather lead to the body consuming itself including muscles.

It's fiction. I think Crytek is smart to buff up the characters as it gives the game a Gears of War vibe. Even the animations and FoV when running seem similar to Gears. People like familiar elements in their games and these things make the game feel like an Xbox title.

I found the dialog to be good for a game like Ryse and the story seems to be exciting. For the people who are criticizing the dialog and the story, what do you really expect from a game like Ryse? The game is trying to give the players an epic feel similar to movies like 300 and the TV show Spartacus. So the shouting and this is Sparta dialog is to be expected and it really works here.

I found the dialog to be good for game like Ryse and the story seems to be exciting. For the people who are criticizing the dialog and the story, what do you really expect from a game like Ryse? The game is trying to give the players an epic feel similar to movies like 300 and the TV show Spartacus. So the shouting and this is Sparta dialog is to be expected and it really works here.

Agreed. It's kinda like complaining about explosions in an action film.

pr0cs

Endurance and physical discipline would be the biggest factors for a soldier in those times. They wouldn't have or need the NFL/beef cake body type. I'm also positive the actual armor and weaponry for a roman soldier wouldn't amount to being over a hundred pounds.

http://www.unrv.com/military/legionary-weapons-equipment.php
It's been estimated that a Legionary could carry anywhere from 66 lbs. (30 kgs) to over 100 lbs. (45 kgs) of gear and weapons.

MormaPope

Banned
probably something like 25-25KG. Probably even less.

I meant "wouldn't" over "would" in the context of how heavy their equipment would be. Could definitely see their equipment being 30-55 pounds.

It's fiction. I think Crytek is smart to buff up the characters as it gives the game a Gears of War vibe. Even the animations and FoV when running seem similar to Gears. People like familiar elements in their games and these things make the game feel like an Xbox title.

I know, I wasn't really knocking Ryse for these facts. I was only chiming in on how the game is styled and such.

Nah man more like +- 21kg so about 45 pounds. That is body armor +- 10kg a shield +-10kg and a roman sword +-1kg.

KKRT00

Crytek bounces: 1
KKRT00 credibility: 0

Its funny, when people working in CG industry compliment lighting in CryEngine, but You are constantly bashing it. Especially funny when most off-line GI renderers are also single bounces.

But continue that good fight.

pr0cs

From your same source as well:

you can complain about the gameplay because for some people it is a mixed bag and hasn't shown well but to complain about the character models being too 'beefy' is just crazy.
These were career soldiers, shorter and more squat than people of current time. Living a life that was extremely difficult and physically taxing. To me the models are perfect and represent what a top tier elite soldier would look like (if we're looking at the commander / main character models).
complaining about the models is whining for the sake of making noise.

Crytek bounces: 1
KKRT00 credibility: 0

Having a hard time seeing this flat lighting considering it is universally known that crytek uses their GI plus helper probes to pump it up in volume.

I really doubt they are just using single bounce LPV injection. Rather they are doing what they always have done: LPV bounce plus other hand placed bounces. As they did for Crysis 2 and they did not for Crysis 3. Why wouldn't they here?

ironcreed

Banned
I found the dialog to be good for a game like Ryse and the story seems to be exciting. For the people who are criticizing the dialog and the story, what do you really expect from a game like Ryse? The game is trying to give the players an epic feel similar to movies like 300 and the TV show Spartacus. So the shouting and this is Sparta dialog is to be expected and it really works here.

Pretty much. I personally eat shit like that up, though, so it's no wonder that I am finally interested. I guess it was only a matter of time before this game really grabbed my attention. It's actually making me want an Xbox One.

MormaPope

Banned
Agreed. It's kinda like complaining about explosions in an action film.

Sorry, but when Crytek releases story trailers and emphasizes the story in their own game, and that story looks boring and uninspired, I'm going to criticize the dialog and such displayed. Action movies that have boring or uninspired stories are usually called out for having those weak elements.

Action movies and games don't need smart and intelligent stories, they need engaging ones. I don't like the movie 300, nor do I really like the show Spartacus, So I guess the "jock spartan" tropes aren't really appealing to me.

you can complain about the gameplay because for some people it is a mixed bag and hasn't shown well but to complain about the character models being too 'beefy' is just crazy.
These were career soldiers, shorter and more squat than people of current time. Living a life that was extremely difficult and physically taxing. To me the models are perfect and represent what a top tier elite soldier would look like (if we're looking at the commander / main character models).
complaining about the models is whining for the sake of making noise.

I see you're equating endurance and strength with muscle mass and muscle size. Roman soldiers did not have American football player bodies, they were incredibly fit and had a metric shit ton of endurance. You don't need to be a beef cake to be a solider of any kind.

I'm not even complaining about the character models, I pointed them out and you seem to be offended that I think beef cakes en masse in 68 AD is hilarious.

nynt9

OT as hell but all the talk about waiting for a price drop got me thinking about those 15 exclusives Phil Spencer talked about at the May reveal. I came up with these 15 with the bold being launch:

Ryse
Dead Rising 3

Quantum Break
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Killer Instinct
Forza 5
Kinect Sports Rivals
Crimson Dragon
Powerstar Golf

D4
Project Spark
Zoo Tycoon
Fable Legends
Below

Does this sound about right?

I'm fairly certain Below was confirmed not exclusive. Proof: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-below-is-only-a-timed-exclusive-for-xbox-one

Sorry, but when Crytek releases story trailers and emphasizes the story in their own game, and that story looks boring and uninspired, I'm going to criticize the dialog and such displayed. Action movies that have boring or uninspired stories are usually called out for having those weak elements.

Action movies and games don't need smart and intelligent stories, they need engaging ones. I don't like the movie 300, nor do I really like the show Spartacus, So I guess the "jock spartan" tropes aren't really appealing to me.

300 is awesome. I hated Spartacus at first but it REALLY grew on me. If the game has a story even half as engaging as those two movies I'll be pretty happy, actually.

Gestault

If the game is 900p they shouldn't be showing heavily downsampled footage in their trailers (they did it with the 'direct feed' trailer too)

I'm under the impression that part of the reason for the resolution they're using is that their upscaling process results in basically free mid-quality AA without an obvious drop in detail. The realistically "soft" look of the image here could be the result of that (I wouldn't know for sure though).

teraMEL0S

Definitely here to echo the sentiment that the game looks gorgeous. I hope it is fun to play through, though. Definitely has to prove itself if Crytek wants a franchise.

I'm under the impression that part of the reason for the resolution they're using is that their upscaling process results in basically free mid-quality AA without an obvious drop in detail. The realistically "soft" look of the image here could be the result of that (I wouldn't know for sure though).

Yeah, I wonder if it'll give it that cinematic look that TXAA gives. That would be really nice. Maybe that's what could give Xbox One games a "flat" look, though.

KKRT00

Its not downsampled, just look at distant geometry at 1:09.

Heavy DoF and blocky geometry of ancient roman times are very good for post-AA. Thats one of the reasons why God of War 3 had so great IQ.

shandy706

Well write a script and send it in. See if they decide to take you on as a writer. If you can come up with something better for a game, before we even know what it is, surely they'll hire you.

MormaPope

Banned
Well write a script and send it in. See if they decide to take you on as a writer. If you can come up with something better for a game, before we even know what it is, surely they'll hire you.

C'mon dude. You're really doing the "don't like it, do it yourself" bullshit. You posting this makes you a hypocrite by default, because everyone in this thread has cast judgement on some sort of aspect of game before that specific game is released.

I might even be wrong with my judgement, but go right ahead, pretend to be some sort of pure poster that never criticizes something before release.

Exactly, this game isn't for you.

Perspective is still a good thing, is it not? I've written detailed enough posts where my points have some sort of merit.

Giggzy

How profitable is crytek? For some reason I've always felt that they would be bought out by Microsoft someday. Is that even a possibility?

Top Bottom