• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome story trailer [new footage]

RayMaker

Banned
It's the armor that gives the bulky Gears vibes I think.

Gears-of-War-Glitch.jpg

2011-05-20_-_Gameplay_Reveal.jpg

and also the arms being at least 20 inches

Vire

Who cares if the characters are idealized/big?...

This is a Roman/Greek setting, it makes sense.

jem0208

You could be right ya. I can see that for sure.
And now that we are speaking of armor...mother of god it looks good:)

The armour looks bloody fantastic. The way it moves as Marius runs is brilliant. I also really like the face models. To be honest, the entire game looks incredible. If this is what the next gen consoles can produce on day one, then I have no worries about this generation; Underpowered hardware or not.

Most of the scenes in this trailer are realtime cutscenes. Gameplay shares the same rigs/character models as cutscenes (ie same quality assets).

quote from the GS article

We spent hours working with Martin on the animations, we try to make as fluid an experience as we could going from the gameplay to the cinematics. The visual fidelity in the cinematics and the gameplay is completely identical. You have facial expressions throughout the whole game, right? It's not like we have, 'oh, now we have a new game character that doesn't react, doesn't have emotions, and then we cut to the cinematic and it's a whole different level of fidelity.' We have it consistent through the whole game."

pr0cs

Marius totally reminds me of Clive Owen in the movie King Arthur.
Agreed, it's clear they took a lot of concept ideas from King Arthur and Gladiator, which I am totally okay as I loved both movies.

Discussing this with our history professors it sounds like that is probably mostly right with many weeks of 100 pounds and then some weeks with less depending on travel time. Also looking at historic breastplate sizes and other armor fits it looks like Ryse is very close for body size. Makes sense..
I agree, they wouldn't be overly muscular but they would be pretty scary to tangle with, dat lean muscle strength.. lol

I think it is what makes the game interesting to me, I'm a sucker for period type games and movies so Ryse in concept sounds awesome, and the trailer made that hype even greater to me as I thought the voice acting was very reminiscent of the movies mentioned earlier.

Sadly I'll probably miss the game at launch as money is tight and I already have a large backlog but the trailer and the recent content from DR3 make these threads unbearable knowing I won't get to play the game on day one.

Leewan

Unless the army is malnourished I'd find it hard to believe These guys wouldn't have any muscle definition.

When I was a kid, My dad loaded and unloaded barrels off a truck all day and looked built without working out and he looked about the size of the guys in these videos and I'm sure their workload was much bigger considering they train to battle in armor and the workload of that period his higher in general.

Chumpion

I made the Gears comment and I stand by it. In the E3 gameplay I thought "Gears of Rome" and I was happy about this. It's more than just the size of the characters being a bit pronounced, but also the FoV and running animations (or at least what I imagined it to be in mind). Of course the Gears guys are bigger, but I think the comparison is valid.

I agree but I don't think Crytek can be blamed for it. The general public expects buffed up Romans these days. Realistically, legionnaires would be wiry and strong, but these guys look like bodybuilders: slabs of beef with no real function.

G_Berry

Banned
Someone took my one post and decided to debate on it. You decided to jump in at the end and call me a troll.

Argument is done, I'm not fighting in this ring no more.

One more point, yes compared to Gears of War, the roid game of the century, the models don't look big. Compared to what people would look like in history, they are much thicker than they should be.
Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

ref

Pre-order cancelled, characters are too thick.

Really, who cares?

Pretty sure it's been said many times Ryse isn't trying to be 100% historically accurate.

Chumpion

Having a hard time seeing this flat lighting considering it is universally known that crytek uses their GI plus helper probes to pump it up in volume.

I really doubt they are just using single bounce LPV injection. Rather they are doing what they always have done: LPV bounce plus other hand placed bounces. As they did for Crysis 2 and they did not for Crysis 3. Why wouldn't they here?

WTH is a helper probe / hand placed bounce?

wtf that looks insane. No lie i thought it was a gif of real person and you responding with it to him.

I forwarded to this gif (along with the other of this guy) to a friend and his response was pretty much the same. Although he's not a seasoned gamer by any measure. It was fun to see his reaction when I told him it was from a game.

I agree but I don't think Crytek can be blamed for it. The general public expects buffed up Romans these days. Realistically, legionnaires would be wiry and strong, but these guys look like bodybuilders: slabs of beef with no real function.

Oh I think they are smart for doing it. Like it or not, Gears of War has an aesthetic that goes hand in hand with the Xbox brand. Crytek heading in that direction makes the games look like an Xbox game, and I like that, actually.

TriGen

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards picking this up. I've been thinking about what game to swap my Watch Dogs pre-order for -- and since nothing seems like an obvious choice, I think I might go with Ryse. If there's ever a time to take a gamble on a game mainly because of its presentation, it's at a console launch.

Chumpion

You know... a hand placed light entity...

Right. Movies can get away with that because they can optimize every scene with a zillion light sources to achieve the look they want.

Here the end result is an impoverished light field. There's not enough meat for BRDFs to shine. Even on characters, often when they are in motion the subsurface shading looks fine, but then on other occasions it looks totally flat.

Chumpion

Oh I think they are smart for doing it. Like it or not, Gears of War has an aesthetic that goes hand in hand with the Xbox brand. Crytek heading in that direction makes the games look like an Xbox game, and I like that, actually.

I think the source is actually movies like 300 and TV shows like Spartacus. It's just not possible for a random actor to achieve the kind of conditioning a legionnaire would have. Steroids and weight lifting are a much more economical solution.

2011-05-20_-_Gameplay_Reveal.jpg

Has anyone ever pointed out that the front of Marcus's armor looks like ET's face?

The two big circles being the eyes and the little circle in the middle the nose and it's also smiling, maybe I'm just crazy lol.

Chumpion

Has anyone ever pointed out that the front of Marcus's armor looks like ET's face?

The two big circles being the eyes and the little circle in the middle the nose and it's also smiling, maybe I'm just crazy lol.

I think it's accidental. Those round things are clearly hatches that open when they need to tweak their nipples.

Incredible visuals really, not much else to say about that. Story already looks like it sucks though, men yelling about warfare and shit basically.

Broank

Looks freaking amazing graphically. Probably the bast looking of the 'next gen' games I have seen. Not sure I trust crytek to make a real well paced compelling game though.

gbvgbv

Neo Member

Not just you! uncanny. I cannot "unsee" this now.

ironcreed

Banned
That slow motion effect just works with this game. It really adds that 'epic' factor that the game itself is just dripping with.

3q7HfLU.gif

Forget shaders or texture resolution, I really do think we will see the biggest leap in animation with the coming next-gen.

I mean come on this game looks..well stunning. SO glad I Got this for my X1 launch machine along with DR3/BF4 and AC4.. I think this will be my First Next Gen game plan to complete in the week till my Ps4 arrives and it should help keep me of Gaf and the net so I can experience my PS4 in unblemished joy from the scourge of internet haters and general destroyers of fun (what games are all about).

Job well done Crytek and nary a mention of 900p no-one can tell (ducks for incoming correction!!)

Biggzy

I mean come on this game looks..well stunning. SO glad I Got this for my X1 launch machine along with DR3/BF4 and AC4.. I think this will be my First Next Gen game plan to complete in the week till my Ps4 arrives and it should help keep me of Gaf and the net so I can experience my PS4 in unblemished joy from the scourge of internet haters and general destroyers of fun (what games are all about).

Job well done Crytek and nary a mention of 900p no-one can tell (ducks for incoming correction!!)

I was actually making a comment over how good that facial animation is. ;)

This game looks amazing, at times. The cutscenes certainly do.

I'm sure I'm gonna get jumped for this, but:
The gameplay portion of the trailer doesn't look as good as the cutscenes shown, in terms of graphical quality (to me).

But the facial animations and the look of the skin look great.

Top Bottom