• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ryse: Son of Rome story trailer [new footage]

It's sounding more and more like the god gameplay elements are just in MP, and not the SP.

And, reconfirmation that you can turn off the prompts for the executions.

Then once you're up to those levels, you can remove the prompts that come up for the animations as well, which makes it harder as you have to rely on what you know about the execution. You have to remember the execution and get the timing right with the sound effects and that takes a lot to master. Then with multiplayer, that's taken a lot from the single-player in terms of the combat, but put it into a multiplayer environment in an arena, and changed some of the systems. So you choose gods for instance, and are able to buy potions and customise and so on. So there's two sides to it, I think most people will probably play through one and then jump over and play the other. We have pretty solid replayability with both single-player and the multiplayer.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Crytek-produ...8/articleID/318848/Default.aspx#ixzz2ihmXEGkS

Yeah, some people get into it. When you start the animation of the actual execution itself, there's no failure condition associated with that. Basically, you've done the work to put them into the execution state. Now it's up to you to get those button presses, to nail the timing of them that's associated with the flow of combat. The closer and more accurately you get those button presses, the bigger the bonus you're going to get back - based on, in single-player, what you selected on the D-pad, or in multiplayer what god you've selected.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Crytek-produ...8/articleID/318848/Default.aspx#ixzz2ihnBmdOd

I wouldn't mind a surprise or two in the SP, but I like that it sounds like they're keeping things more grounded and normal in the singleplayer.

Interesting interview: I've read it and two parts caught my attention

1) The reporter asks this question

Where did the reporter get that? will be there some puzzle and exploration? I remember seeing parts where Marius were climbing.

2) And this One

WTF??! I know for sure there's the oracle and she's a female.

He means none that you are fighting against, with, or alongside on the battlefield, I'm sure. During those times only the men were the soldiers.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I need to watch more gameplay, but of what I took to be gameplay v cutscenes in the video (and then trying to ignoring cutscenes), the gameplay graphics look amazing of what is in there.

i agree. the faces/mouths in particular are extremely well done.

Chobel

Yeah lol it's kind of confusing but i'm pretty sure he's talking about the online multiplayer mode.

I don't think so, The reporter and Michael Read would mention if they're talking about MP.

He means none that you are fighting against, with, or alongside on the battlefield, I'm sure. During those times only the men were the soldiers.

The question was straight, the reporter said there's no female characters not soldiers/fighters.

I don't think so, The reporter and Michael Read would mention if they're talking about MP.

The question was straight, the reporter said there's no female characters not soldiers/fighters.

Well that would be a strange/weird mistake since there are already two female characters confirmed:

Oracle?
iO6nqfPhyuU8L.png

and Boudica:
iHFA6frQxMMxq.png

I know, but Mread likely interpreted his question as meaning the ones involved in combat or in the army related stuff, I don't know.

The newest impression from the last couple days has basically made me stop even second guessing this anymore. It appears to have the chops. Super excited.

yup, i rewatched the behind the scenes vid (From the mo cap images above), man i just want to see the tech in motion. Very hyped for sure.

I played this last night and I wasn't that impressed. It was the multiplayer mode, and it was clear that it was an old version, like months old. Animations jerked for Britain, combat didn't really flow and it was just a button mash. Its a shame they're touring with the game at such low quality, its only because I know this is such an old build, and have seen the huge graphical upgrades and polish on the newer builds that Ill keep my preorder, anyone who didn't know this though would leave that event very unimpressed, tbh it felt like I was playing Ryse: Aliasing of Rome, more than Son of Rome last night.

Oh a side note, its absolutely hilarious when you see your partner in slow motion execution mode next to you, they're just floating and moving very slowly.

I played this last night and I wasn't that impressed. It was the multiplayer mode, and it was clear that it was an old version, like months old. Animations jerked for Britain, combat didn't really flow and it was just a button mash. Its a shame they're touring with the game at such low quality, its only because I know this is such an old build, and have seen the huge graphical upgrades and polish on the newer builds that Ill keep my preorder, anyone who didn't know this though would leave that event very unimpressed, tbh it felt like I was playing Ryse: Aliasing of Rome, more than Son of Rome last night.

Oh a side note, its absolutely hilarious when you see your partner in slow motion execution mode next to you, they're just floating and moving very slowly.

Did you encounter any of these old build glitches?

i15QOxxi7txT1.gif

ibhnBoJCvrvTRV.gif

i4h6NHo9L9T8G.gif

Karak

yup, i rewatched the behind the scenes vid (From the mo cap images above), man i just want to see the tech in motion. Very hyped for sure.

Ya hearing so many good impressions on the newest version and a bit of digging I don't have any of the smaller worries anymore. So its fully on the excitement radar for a new game on a new system.

If there is supernatural stuff then why in CVG interview Crytek said this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, the hair is the best I've seen in next generation consoles, it's even better than Quantum Break and The order: 1886

I think it's exactly like it sounds friend, there won't be any fighting with fantasy creatures but that doesn't mean that there won't be any supernatural/fantasy elements in the game outside of the combat.

Did you encounter any of these old build glitches?

I played it today -going to post in the XBO impression thread, co-op mode (but I played it by myself) and didn't notice any glitches. It didn't say "Gamescom" build on it so I have no idea when it was done, but no glitches or bugs, played well. I played it twice and loved it.

The executions are completely optional btw to the point where I had to ask someone how to do them looool. When you attack an enemy, X/Y slashing them you can finish them off without executing they just die as normal but they get a skull above their head. You can press Right Trigger and it will start the execution, the outline of the enemy glows the colour you need to be (blue for X, yellow for Y, etc etc) if you do the execution you get the reward of the god you have chosen (multiplayer remember) which mine was health if you don't it goes slow mo and he kills them anyway.

bud

Interesting interview: I've read it and two parts caught my attention

1) The reporter asks this question

Where did the reporter get that? will be there some puzzle and exploration? I remember seeing parts where Marius were climbing.

2) And this One

WTF??! I know for sure there's the oracle and she's a female.

what the hell, dude? there were no women back then.

Heretic

I'm not gonna lie, it was the artwork that sold me on this game. I absolutely love it. The fact that the graphics are amazing leads me to believe the artwork will come to life in the game. I cannot wait.

I'm so glad this game took a turn for the best. I'll give multiplayer a try but it's the single player that I'm interested in.

I'm not gonna lie, it was the artwork that sold me on this game. I absolutely love it. The fact that the graphics are amazing leads me to believe the artwork will come to life in the game. I cannot wait.

I'm so glad this game took a turn for the best. I'll give multiplayer a try but it's the single player that I'm interested in.

Same here, can't wait to see more of the campaign.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crytek-the-next-generation

Great interview with Crytek CEO, and he reveals some interesting stuff about Ryse, even the kind of antialiasing they're using, and some info on the Xbox One itself.

On animation and physics

Cevat Yerli: We have many new features in Ryse. On the rendering side the main focus was on moving to more physically-based paradigms but we have a lot of improvements for animation and physics as well. For example, all the cloth and armour parts are moving dynamically but we can also pre-bake complex simulations now and replay them in real-time.

Interesting part regarding pre-baking more complex simulations and then running them in real-time. Meaning even some of the more impressive animation or physics stuff shown may not be a direct tip off that it isn't real-time.

On AA solution being used.

Digital Foundry: Very few - if any - of the next-gen games we've seen target multi-sampling anti-aliasing. What's your solution for Ryse? Do you think that MSAA is now a thing of the past in console game development?

Cevat Yerli: MSAA is quickly getting bandwidth-bound and thus expensive. With a deferred shading based renderer the bandwidth consumption is getting prohibitively high. For Ryse we developed our custom SMAA 1TX, in essence it is a combo of morphological AA with smarter temporal anti-aliasing. It's a new robust and fairly efficient technique which we shared some details about at Siggraph this year. It's a solution which deals with any signal input changes in order to smooth out potential shimmering during movement, while masking out any potential ghosting, and together with shading aliasing solutions it provides a more filmic image quality overall.

I was always wondering about this. Game looks really damn clean. They really did come up with their own little solution, which sounds like a mix of an improved version of the temporal antialiasing technique that Nvidia put out.

On lighting used in Ryse.

Digital Foundry: We saw Unreal Engine 4 demonstrate real-time global illumination before reverting to a specced-up Lightmass solution. What's your approach to GI in Ryse, and do you think we'll see a full real-time solution this generation?

Cevat Yerli: In Ryse we are using light probes (image-based lighting) as these work very well with physically based rendering, and, on top of that, our artists wanted to have full control over a cinematic look, so we developed a manually placed bounce lighting technique. We also have much improved solutions for ambient occlusion (our fifth generation) and local, real-time reflections. With the limited power of the new consoles, 100 per cent real-time GI remains a challenge, but we think it might be feasible. The more important question is whether art directors wish to lose their control. Top production designers working on high-end CG animation usually apply a very artistically controlled lighting system. If the desire is to light a scene to be photo-realistic, then this may be a choice. If you want a cinematic experience or lighting style, full GI might not be desirable.

The work they've done in this area definitely shows. Game looks awesome.

On how quickly they were able to get Ryse up and running on the Xbox One.

Digital Foundry: Xbox One is DX11-based. How useful was your CryEngine 3 DX11 work on PC in giving you a head start on XO development?

Cevat Yerli: The core technologies of the next generation are DX11 and 64-bit. CryEngine has been fully supporting both since Crysis 2. Because of that, getting the first version of Ryse running on early Xbox One kits was relatively easy and took us less than a week of focused work. Again, the fact Ryse was probably the only next-gen game running on a commercially licensable engine at E3 2013 is proof of how easy it was to use CryEngine was for the next generation.

On the move engines

Digital Foundry: Xbox One has its data move engines, dedicated audio hardware etc that should free up CPU resources. Are we seeing a situation almost like the reverse of 360/PS3 - this time with Sony having less CPU resource but more GPU power?

Cevat Yerli: Xbox One's move engine has proven to be quite useful to us by accelerating streaming of texture data, etc. How well that fares overall and compares to the prowess of PS4's compute engines remains to be seen and likely depends on the specific type of game you want to build.

On ESRAM

Digital Foundry: What is your experience with the ESRAM on Xbox One? How do you utilise it in Ryse? Is 32MB really enough for the high-bandwidth rendering elements you'd want to utilise? How important is allocating graphics between DDR3 and ESRAM for Xbox One development?

Cevat Yerli: We put our most accessed render targets like the G-Buffer targets into ESRAM. Writing to ESRAM yields a considerable speed-up. While 32MB may not be enough to use something like MSAA to the fullest, with a smart memory management strategy it is possible to deal with that.

On audio hardware in Ryse.

Cevat Yerli: Essentially the hardware is performing calculations on audio data, handling the decode of audio that is encoded in XMA, Microsoft's proprietary, designed-for-game-audio, encode/decode compression algorithm. It takes weight off the main processing cores by using this optimised processor, which is approximately twice as powerful as the 360's, which means we can have higher voice counts, that is more sounds playing simultaneously. Also it supports the 7.1 surround sound architecture, which vastly improves the 3D localisation of sounds and the immersive audio environments we have created for Ryse.

May be some other stuff I missed, too.

DeltaJay

Banned
No problem, man. I'm just so excited about this game. I'm about ready to explode at this point.

Ageed. Between the game and the rumored web series it looks to be well supported. I know the multiplayer on the game is getting less hype, but I hope that comes together too.

Eoin

Did that new footage from that MMA/UFC or whatever it was surface yet? I remember a poster talking about it, but haven't seen anything yet.

Did that new footage from that MMA/UFC or whatever it was surface yet? I remember a poster talking about it, but haven't seen anything yet.

Nope, it hasn't showed up online yet. I unfortunately only managed to catch it on my dvr while on the SD version of spike. It will most likely show up again next Saturday, since that's the next broadcast.

All of them unfortunately, i do think this was a very old build though.

Pretty strange since all the latest builds people have played have been flawless. Where did you play this again? Which event?

Nope, it hasn't showed up online yet. I unfortunately only managed to catch it on my dvr while on the SD version of spike. It will most likely show up again next Saturday, since that's the next broadcast.

Pretty strange since all the latest builds people have played have been flawless. Where did you play this again? Which event?

Was a lock in at game in the UK, again, I do think it was a very old build.

So upload the SD version for now.

Well, I'd be doing this thing a massive disservice by recording it this way. My phone is damaged, and the only other alternative, I guess, would be my friend's cell phone here, which doesn't have the best camera, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

I warn you, however, the quality probably won't be anything spectacular. Bad cell phone recording of an SD broadcast seems like a recipe for disaster, but here goes lol.

Well, I'd be doing this thing a massive disservice by recording it this way. My phone is damaged, and the only other alternative, I guess, would be my friend's cell phone here, which doesn't have the best camera, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

I warn you, however, the quality probably won't be anything spectacular. Bad cell phone recording of an SD broadcast seems like a recipe for disaster, but here goes lol.
Doesn't really matter if it's sd, at least we will see something new.

aQXng.gif

Why are leaks always like that :'(

Top Bottom