• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sakaguchi RPG for Xbox One? [Up: Nope]

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like obvious joking to me......

Seriously. Have you all gotten so completely in love with disappointment that you are taking an obvious joke as though it could ever be serious in any way?

Tell me this is just an intense new form of ironic posting. This is like a parody of NeoGAF.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Not many Japanese RPGs sell anywhere near 1 million in NA.

Also, a Sakaguchi game might change word of mouth for Xbox One within hardcore gaming circles. Something that would actually help the Xbox One at this point. It's probably a good investment for Microsoft now at least.

Oregano

This would be nice but I am not sure he is serious. i don't think he would just let the cat out of the bag like that.

FrankCaron

Goddamnit. Don't make me buy an Xbox again just for a Mistwalker game again.

Here's hoping it ends up being Last Story II, with an HD-remake of the original.

Yaoibot

Even if this does not help MS in the long run, it hurts Sony in the short run. I think that logic did work to some extent last gen with the plethora of moneyhats thrown at Japanese devs. Sony missed out on a shit-ton of J-RPGs, in some cases permanently.

That's my way of saying this news does not surprise me.

Infinite Undiscovery, LO, BD, Last Remnant. Everything was average except LO. Rest went multiplat - Star Ocean, Vesperia. And regardless of all that money-hatting, PS3 ended up with far, far more JRPGs and that will be pretty much the only genre on it from 2014 onwards. So it didn't really serve MS all that well, or the developers who threw their IPs all over (Tales) before figuring out where the fanbase was and had been all along.

A LO 2 however, would actually make me consider an X1 though, and that's saying a lot.

adixon

I'm not falling for this one again.

Very few JRPGs would sell me on a platform, and as much as I liked Vesperia and Lost Odyssey, the subsequent abandonment by developers stung, even if it wasn't unexpected.

This -- I'm pretty wary of the "We'll give you lots of cool different games for the first 24 months" approach that Microsoft took last generation. I probably won't be buying a One until we're two years in and there are still games I'm interested in being announced for it.

Hopefully itll be multiplat. Hate to see Sakaguchi games sell poorly like LO and Last Story.

You might be hoping his new RPG is multiplat so sorry if I'm confusing what you're saying, but LO multiplat won't happen, Microsoft own it (and Blue Dragon/Nighty-Nine Nights if anyone else was wondering)

Edit: They also own Infinite Undiscovery

watership

this post is a taste of whats to come next tuesday

the tears will be annoying

A whole bunch of 'single-console per generation' types abandoned Xbox to buy a Ps4. If a game comes for the x1 that looks amazing, there will be bellyaching. Look for the money hat, the what-a-waste, lolz and hate posts.

Buy all of the top platforms, get the games you want. Worry not for wonderful gaming gems that may pass you by because you are a console warrior.

Grisby

NPBBjE9.gif

Is it time?

Not many Japanese RPGs sell anywhere near 1 million in NA.

Since when did Lost Oddysey sell anywhere close to 1mil?

JP numbers was about 100k. NPD trackings for LO topped around 400k, if I remember correctly.

Taking worldwide sales into consideration, it's unlikely that LO sold over 800k, much less 1mil.

kick51

Banned
A whole bunch of 'single-console per generation' types abandoned Xbox to buy a Ps4. If a game comes for the x1 that looks amazing, there will be bellyaching. Look for the money hat, the what-a-waste, lolz and hate posts.

Buy all of the top platforms, get the games you want. Worry not for wonderful gaming gems that may pass you by because you are a console warrior.

thanks for the spoilers

I feel like we're going to see the same thing as the previous generation.

By that I mean Xbone gets a bunch of exclusive JRPGs causing some to buy just for those games early on.

Then support for the Xbone drops off a cliff followed by everyone just re-releasing updated versions for the PS4 and just straight out making PS4 exclusives like what see now.

I'd consider picking up an Xbone if they offer a kinectless version as well as having some really strong games that I develop a strong desire for. What I'm worried about is spending that money to get those games then seeing all that support move over to the PS4 which I already have.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

As a PS4 owner, the only thing that can tempt me to buy a Xbox One now is top notch exclusives. And this would be one of those. Don't be messin' Phil.

0% chance of happening.

The poor sales of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey basically kicked Mistwalker out of the console generation last time around. No way they make the same mistake twice.

Unless they think having cost of development handled is the only true thing with meaning, and in that case if they do think that they may as well hang up their coats anyway, they are done. Word of mouth, actual game purchases, market saturation is how you build a product, not just having its creation costs handled.

You really think Mistwalker, Sakaguchi thought 400K total sales of Lost Odyssey or 200K total sales for Blue Dragon, was just a fantastic thing? Hitting that percentage of the market basically means your game ... a game from freakin Sakaguchi himself, was just a small drop in the bucket overall.

You have to get market saturation, get people to spread news about a game themselves, along with proper marketing to have any sort of chance with a RPG series.

Aeana

JP numbers was about 100k. NPD trackings for LO topped around 400k, if I remember correctly.

Taking worldwide sales into consideration, it's unlikely that LO sold over 800k, much less 1mil.
My post was not about LO, it was about the assertion that half a million is a "bomba" for an RPG. Not sure if you read the post I quoted and the one he quoted or not.

New Mistwalker JRPG and Platinum Game announced on Tuesday together with Japan Xbox One Launch Date. That would be something right? GAF would be dead immediatly

Who's actually making it though?

Both Feelplus (LO) and Artoon (Blue Dragon) were closed by AQ (Last Story), who themselves don't exist now.

DJIzana

I thought Mistwalker/Sakaguchi expressed interest in making more RPG's on the Wii U?

I guess even the poor sales are making them reconsider and go back to the Xbox One.

If this is true though... I'll be sad. ='(

Qblivion

People really love LO huh? I just remember it being archaic snes gameplay with a fancy paint job. The visual novel bits were good though.

Dark_castle

With Blue Dragon, Tales and Lost Odyssey plus ports of FFXIII 360 ironically had the most AAA RPGs last gen.

360 had a surprisingly solid amount of localized JRPG, perhaps even more so than PS3 in the earlier years. MS sure pushed hard to promote 360 in Japan and please the western audience who came from the Japanese dominant PS2 era.

Blue Dragon
Enchanted Arms
Eternal Sonata
Final Fantasy XIII
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey
Magna Carta 2
Nier
Resonance of Fate
Star Ocean 4
Tales of Vesperia
The Last Remnant

If by some unprecedented miracle that they're doing it again with X1, it looks like I need to get one of them.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis

What? The last time I saw number for LO on NPD it was over 700k. That was after release I believe. It sold well.

Edit: Hmm actually think that was worldwide.

Guymelef

0% chance of happening.

The poor sales of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey basically kicked Mistwalker out of the console generation last time around. No way they make the same mistake twice.

Unless they think having cost of development handled is the only true thing with meaning, and in that case if they do think that they may as well hang up their coats anyway, they are done. Word of mouth, actual game purchases, market saturation is how you build a product, not just having its creation costs handled.

You really think Mistwalker, Sakaguchi thought 400K total sales of Lost Odyssey or 200K total sales for Blue Dragon, was just a fantastic thing? Hitting that percentage of the market basically means your game ... a game from freakin Sakaguchi himself, was just a small drop in the bucket overall.

You have to get market saturation, get people to spread news about a game themselves, along with proper marketing to have any sort of chance with a RPG series.

But it was Microsoft's money, not Mistwalker.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Who's actually making it though?

Both Feelplus (LO) and Artoon (Blue Dragon) were closed by AQ (Last Story), who themselves don't exist now.

I seriously, seriously doubt this but Microsoft could have an internal studio handle it.

What if Mistwalker was the internal studio?

With Blue Dragon, Tales and Lost Odyssey plus ports of FFXIII 360 ironically had the most AAA RPGs last gen.

Are you sure about that?

I can list more than three PS3 exclusive JRPG's. Demon Souls, Tales of Xilia, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, Tales of Xilia 2, Tales of Graces F, Final Fantasy X HD and I am sure there are more.

Takao

Banned
New Mistwalker JRPG and Platinum Game announced on Tuesday together with Japan Xbox One Launch Date. That would be something right? GAF would be dead immediatly

Give it a few years, and those developers will probably join GAF's servers ...

Iwata is desperate, so I can see why Nintendo would fund another Sakaguchi flop, but Microsoft? The company's actions with Xbox One have been so focused on the Anglosphere that I don't under why they'd bother with this. Japan isn't going to care, and I kind of doubt a large amount of western JRPG players will either. It also goes against what they're funding in that country. Over the past four or so years, they've only been picking up really low budget stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom