• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sakaguchi RPG for Xbox One? [Up: Nope]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Releasing a JRPG only on Xbone?

That'd end well. I'd be surprised if this is something actually happening though. I wouldn't expect to see Mistwalker working on home consoles again to be honest.

Mistwalker would get paid for the development, not the sales and who else is going to fund a console Mistwalker JRPG besides MS? Maybe Nintendo but tha's it.

He dislikes the PS3 annoyingly tricky environment from a dev point and he disliked crazy Ken.

Anyway this thread is hilarious, me? I've already lost hope for anything Mistwalker outside of iOS/Android.
At best I expect something for 3DS if MS Japan haven't tricked big daddy in the states with lies and false promises :/

Mistwalker doesn't even develop games iirc, so why would this be a reason?

Which studio could develop? MAQL?

Yeah, I mean they have Feelplus and Artoon and I think they helped co develop Soul Sacrifice so it's not like they are against developing for another publisher.they don't publish may games either iirc, so opportunity cost won't be a ting either.

Raide

Why would they do that? Xbone won't sell in Japan regardless, they're bound to have realised this for themselves.

Its not just about selling in Japan. A good RPG for Xbox One could sell fairly well this early in the consoles lifespan, especially without any major competition.

Maybe we are all just wishing on a fresh new LO game and getting our hype up a bit too much.

Mistwalker would get paid for the development, not the sales and who else is going to fund a console Mistwalker JRPG besides MS? Maybe Nintendo but tha's it.

Who would fund a JRPG by the creator of Final Fantasy?

Boy that is a tough one!

Really?

Last generation the 360 was the easier platform to develop for. Had the, technically, better GPU structure and MS probably paid for development + some of both titles so absolutely no risk involved. And it sounds like Sakaguchi did not like the PS3 architecture at all or Ken. So, the deck was stacked in MS favor.

Which could be the problem. When Sakaguchi and company had the company on the line, they were able to put their hearts into Final Fantasy and made it what it is today, because otherwise they were out of jobs and the company was dead. With everything being risk free for them, who knows what occurs during development that otherwise wouldn't if everything was on the line.

Why would they do that? Xbone won't sell in Japan regardless, they're bound to have realised this for themselves.

Token exclusives, the same reason why they did it last time. Sony will have Japanese games, Nintendo will have Japanese games. So MS will have them too, not a lot but some just to say they have them. It could also be a Japanese game designed with western appeal in mind. Something like Dark Souls. I'm sure that Platinum's game is some sort of shooter or action game and it'll be aimed at western audiences but will be "Japanese" enough so they can say, "look, we haven't giving up on Japan".

Caronte

Which could be the problem. When Sakaguchi and company had the company on the line, they were able to put their hearts into Final Fantasy and made it what it is today, because otherwise they were out of jobs and the company was dead. With everything being risk free for them, who knows what occurs during development that otherwise wouldn't if everything was on the line.

Urban legend.

Yaoibot

Mistwalker is already on Mobile and isn't making any money from it. The games that Platinum make aren't suited for mobile either. Phil Spencer does not fuck around, even when he does, there is always something behind it. MS have said that they will have token Japanese exclusives this gen, a Sakaguchi JRPG makes sense. Especially if it's a game designed to have loads of Western appeal like Dark Souls(which is something I could see happening).

I never said he wasn't. But to my knowledge, he's only been dipping his toe into the pool with piddly projects (that bladeball and surfer thing), and never a large scale (yes, mobile has those) RPG. The cost and risk of which would be microscopic compared to a console title. Unless MS is footing the bill, I don't see who would be sourced for development. Marvelous AQL are doing their own shit now, and expanding their own brands and studios. He doesn't have the cash. Senjitsu's tweet has now gone viral and is spreading to news on various sites. One has to wonder if that wasn't the intended effect, and if nothing materializes Tuesday, I guess I can just add another piece of tin-foil to the hat.

Who would fund a JRPG by the creator of Final Fantasy?

Boy that is a tough one!

Really?

Last generation the 360 was the easier platform to develop for. Had the, technically, better GPU structure and MS probably paid for development + some of both titles so absolutely no risk involved. And it sounds like Sakaguchi did not like the PS3 architecture at all or Ken. So, the deck was stacked in MS favor.

Uuuum yes it is, so outside of MS and Nintendo, who is going to fund it? Console JRPGS don't mean shit anymore unless you aim it at th west like Dark Souls or unless you already established like FF.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Uuuum yes it is, so outside of MS and Nintendo, who is going to fund it? Console JRPGS don't mean shit anymore unless you aim it at th west like Dark Souls or unless you already established like FF.

The Souls series wasnt aimed at the West. It was just From Software doing what From Software does best basically. They just got lucky with a title that actually resonated there past the usual niche following.

Teknoman

If they could find some of that persona magic maybe.

The Souls series wasnt aimed at the West. It was just From Software doing what From Software does best basically. They just got lucky with a title that actually resonated there past the usual niche following.

This. They've been doing stuff like that for awhile with Kings Field (albeit first person). Souls almost didnt make it if everyone hadnt have latched onto Demon's Souls bringing welcome methodical challenge back in a fresh way.

I never said he wasn't. But to my knowledge, he's only been dipping his toe into the pool with piddly projects (that bladeball and surfer thing), and never a large scale (yes, mobile has those) RPG. The cost and risk of which would be microscopic compared to a console title. Unless MS is footing the bill, I don't see who would be sourced for development. Marvelous AQL are doing their own shit now, and expanding their own brands and studios. He doesn't have the cash. Senjitsu's tweet has now gone viral and is spreading to news on various sites. One has to wonder if that wasn't the intended effect, and if nothing materializes Tuesday, I guess I can just add another piece of tin-foil to the hat.

Yes MS would be footing the bill and I think AQL helped co develop soul sacrifice, so they obviously don't have a problem with developing games for other publishers. they aren't really big in the retail game anyway, and I haven't really seen any signs of them wanting to jump into AAA console development. They just do small 3DS and Vita stuff. The staff of Artoon and Feel plus are still there and I doubt all staff is is bust with the small 3DS/Vita stuff they do.

Mistwalker doesn't actually develop games iirc so there is no reason why MS and Nintendo can't be getting stuff from MS. Although a new Mistwalker game would most likely be on 3DS if they work with Nintendo again.
Why?

The Wii U is in the shape it's in partially because Nintendo invested too many development resources into 3DS, leading to the WIi U's gargantuan first year drought.

They're probably greenlighting Wii U projects like mad.

Between this and the following:

Uuuum yes it is, so outside of MS and Nintendo, who is going to fund it?

It seems like you're coming up with really sketchy reasons as to why other publishers wouldn't be interested in working with Sakaguchi in this current climate. Even other console manufactures for whom the declining Japanese market makes up a significant portion of their global marketshare, and for whom salvaging that market is of pivotal importance.

MrMephistoX

This -- I'm pretty wary of the "We'll give you lots of cool different games for the first 24 months" approach that Microsoft took last generation. I probably won't be buying a One until we're two years in and there are still games I'm interested in being announced for it.

I'm definitely wary of it too...can't really say PS3 filled the void though as the types of exclusives in those first 24 months were really varied. I think mist walker probably screwed themselves out of an audience by going with MS last gen but that's more Sonys lack of willingness to buy exclusives than anything.

I don't like you.
It's the truth
If they could find some of that persona magic maybe.
Persona has a vocal fanbase it doesn't mean shit outside of Japan

True but it's appeal over here is undeniable. I could see Sakaguchi making something like that, and I could see MS pushing it hard.

charsace

Why would people be surprised by this? I thought MS helped Sak get mistwalker off the ground. Why are people acting like they don't have a good relationship?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Surely he's not revealing a bombshell like that to SenjutsuSage on Twitter.

Tuesday will be entertaining either way. Well done Phil.

Well, apparently Microsoft got after him for putting that Gears of War picture as his avatar on twitter before the announcement. I think Spencer gets genuinely excited about games and he may sometimes have trouble being subtle about upcoming announcements.

It's one of the reasons I like Spencer - he seems genuine.

Reveirg

Maybe this factors in:

"I think we'll be announcing these titles once the Xbox One release date draws closer. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360 were wonderful experiences, and I'm looking forward to forming partnerships with new developers for this system as well. I feel it's going well, that we'll be able to respond to the 'love' Japan games fans have for Xbox One."

Why?

The Wii U is in the shape it's in partially because Nintendo invested too many development resources into 3DS, leading to the WIi U's gargantuan first year drought.

They're probably greenlighting Wii U projects like mad.
Because Nintendo is tired of loosing Money and they are most likely gearing up for the 3DS successor. I think Zelda and that new Miyamoto IP will be the and big Wii U games before they over to 4DS. If a Sakaguchi JRPG is coming to WiiU, it was most likely funded a long time ago, probably before WiiU launched.

Between this and the following:

It seems like you're coming up with really sketchy reasons as to why other publishers wouldn't be interested in working with Sakaguchi in this current climate. Even other console manufactures for whom the declining Japanese market makes up a significant portion of their global marketshare, and for whom salvaging that market is of pivotal importance.
I just don't see too many publishers willing to fund a console JRPG. Sony is trying to salvage SCEJ and make their own JRPG, not to mention they are distancing themselves form second party stuff because they have a massive amount of first party studios.

Faustek

It's the truth.

I really should add that I hate to agree and its the sentence I dislike. I'm certain you're a person of great morals and with the capacity to say no to injustice.

I still won't like you for a few minutes more though.

Why would people be surprised by this? I thought MS helped Sak get mistwalker off the ground. Why are people acting like they don't have a good relationship?
Seen as a wasted effort? And the "considering bow many 360's sold in Japan" is not a valid defence. Its more of a phyrhic victory, nothing anyone should strive for.

He's going to be remaking his FFVII game exclusively for XBO/PC. I predict.

Driving by?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I just don't see too many publishers willing to fund a console JRPG. Sony is trying to salvage SCEJ and make their own JRPG, not to mention they are distancing themselves form second party stuff because they have a massive amount of first party studios.

Even though I doubt a Sony Mistwalker game is coming, it's funny because Mistwalker seemingly would be an ideal partner for a Sony JRPG series since Mistwalker's role in development is overseeing it but they always give the technical aspects to another developer (in this case, SCEJ).

charsace

From Software RPG's have always been western influenced with a Japanese twist.

Even though I doubt a Sony Mistwalker game is coming, it's funny because Mistwalker seemingly would be an ideal partner for a Sony JRPG series since Mistwalker's role in development is overseeing it but they always give the technical aspects to another developer (in this case, SCEJ).

I absolutely agree, Sony supposedly have a FF killer in development. Sakaguchi overseeing that would be insane.

Nif

I thought Microsoft dumped Mistwalker before Cry On. It hasn't seemed like they've had a close relationship since, anyway. I'd love to see more next-gen turn-based RPGs, though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
From Software RPG's have always been western influenced with a Japanese twist.

Keep telling yourself that, but the argument truthfully is piss poor as everything was influenced by something else. So if you want to play that game it will be a non stop run around the block.

Point still stands that its still the From Software style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom