• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sakaguchi RPG for Xbox One? [Up: Nope]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faustek

I absolutely agree, Sony supposedly have a FF killer in development. Sakaguchi overseeing that would be insane.

Think SE can manage to kill themselves without Sony.

Keep telling yourself that, but the argument truthfully is piss poor as everything was influenced by something else. So if you want to play that game it will be a non stop run around the block.

Point still stands that its still the From Software style.

People are weird that way. Wanting to label everything even if the closest they can come is "because a looks similar to b they both are c"

What the fuck? Above me it lives two old people(80+) and from the sound of it they have been screwing the latest effing hour! Sorry have to share this but man, kudos to them!

Oh man, if this happens I will pee my pants in front of everyone!

LO was such a great journey for me and even if it's not LO I can't wait for a next gen JRPG from the same creator if properly funded by Microsoft.

Fbh

Its not just about selling in Japan. A good RPG for Xbox One could sell fairly well this early in the consoles lifespan, especially without any major competition.

Maybe we are all just wishing on a fresh new LO game and getting our hype up a bit too much.

Jrpg's still don't sell that well when made just for the western market-

Lost Odysey came out when the Xbox 360 had a much bigger install base than the X1 right now and last I heard it didn't even manage to sell 1 Million units, partially because it being a X360 exclusive ment that it good truly poor sales in japan.

Also, JRPG might not have much competition on next gen but RPG on general do. This year alone the Witcher 3 and Dragon Age are going to be heavy hitters

The bar is really that low eh? It's called begging, my friend. Shameless begging. Kinda like what I've been doing for quite some time via twitter in hopes of getting some kind of response from Phil, and maybe he finally decided to have a little fun with the subject lol. If this somehow ends up being true, and that in turn makes me a shill, then I will wear the label like a badge of honor. Sakaguchi is my favorite developer, and so to borrow a bit from TLC, I ain't too proud to beg for another one of his amazing games. :D

Also, Tuesday, if this is accurate doesn't have to be this coming Tuesday, which I'm sure is part of the joke here. Microsoft's E3 press conference last year was June 10th. June 10th this year falls on... a Tuesday! So, that's what I'm quietly clinging my hopes to right now. There's no way I actually believe we're going to hear about a potential new Sakaguchi JRPG this coming Tuesday, but I would sure love to be wrong. Please, please be wrong. And, hey, Phil could have just been telling me exactly what I wanted to hear, because I've been nagging about it so much. But it's a lot better than an outright dismissal of the idea, that's for sure. :)

In other words...

58669-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Sm9B.gif

I only own a xbox 360 now because of blue dragon and lost odyssey. There's no other reason that I purchased one, those two games are it. Sure it stung not seeing follow ups, but I was still never disappointed with my purchase, because they they were absolutely worth it in my eyes.

What would you do if it was announced to be multiplatform, and with PS4 getting exclusive content?

Verendus. He didn't said 'FF killer' I think. Just a JRPG similar to the FF style.

Yeah, he said a first party JRPG and a spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls in tandem with MIyazaki and From Software.

The former certainly jibes with Kotaku's article about Sony reorienting Japan Studio towards large scale development projects, making it more like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, and its other western studios.

Edit:

Forgot about the whole JRPG1 and JRPG2 distinction from verendus' post. Hm.

Jrpg's still don't sell that well when made just for the western market-

Lost Odysey came out when the Xbox 360 had a much bigger install base than the X1 right now and last I heard it didn't even manage to sell 1 Million units, partially because it being a X360 exclusive ment that it good truly poor sales in japan.

Also, JRPG might not have much competition on next gen but RPG on general do. This year alone the Witcher 3 and Dragon Age are going to be heavy hitters

LO released about two years after the 360 was released. Any sequel revealed on Tuesday won't be out until sometime in 2015. XB1 is already selling a lot bettter than the 360 was.

Faustek

Verendus. He didn't said 'FF killer' I think. Just a JRPG similar to the FF style.

About that, where is he? Haven't seen him around since his DQ tease.

Anyway, on topic.

Mistwalker really oughta do something new. I personally never gave LO a chance, it was like FFXIII. It didn't hold up to my expectations and I left it somewhere...probably at the same place as my 360..wherever that is.

Gestault

Lost Odyssey 2 is on my "five of these games will make me buy an XB1 within a year" list.

So far Killer Instinct is one. Hold me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
make sure you install the game, greatly cuts down on random battles loading time.

done! is there a good OT I should dig up, or a noteworthy LTTP thread? or should I just go in raw? I literally know nothing about this game, haven't even read the back of the box.

Caronte

Mistwalker really oughta do something new. I personally never gave LO a chance, it was like FFXIII. It didn't hold up to my expectations and I left it somewhere...probably at the same place as my 360..wherever that is.

I was disappointed too (I bought a 360 just for that game, I was REALLY hyped). It wasn't perfect, but still pretty good. You should give it a second chance.

I couldn't finish Blue Dragon though, my 360 died before I could finish it and I didn't bother buying another one. But I liked it too, even if the story and characters where a little stupid it is one of the few JRPGs this generation with good exploration.

Stimpack

I'm going to be so pissed if this happens =( Half of the reason for owning a PS4 is hoping that they'll get back to RPGs.

Tex117

Banned
Is he trying to make the same mistake as last gen?

Going with Xbox when there is a lot more interest in JRPGs with the playstation crowd?

Goodness. Now I see why Spirits Within failed.

I wouldn't care. I'll take big Sakaguchi game releases however I can get them, even PS4 or Wii-U exclusive.

Hah, I love my Wii U, but that would be all kinds of worrying to me with the current state of the platform (Sakaguchi & Mistwalker wouldn't get the kind of sales they deserve). I suppose it could make sense if it were a sequel to The Last Story. Admittedly, it would be hilarious to watch a quarter of Neogaf end up banned in the aftermath of an announcement like that. It'd be like a ten-fold Bayonetta 2 announcement.

harSon

Banned
Is he trying to make the same mistake as last gen?

Going with Xbox when there is a lot more interest in JRPGs with the playstation crowd?

Goodness. Now I see why Spirits Within failed.

What mistake? Mistalker can't develop a game themselves. They're an extremely small studio that is more of a concept studio than a proper development studio. If it weren't for Microsoft bankrolling their games, helping to set up FeelPlus, etc. then Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon would not have existed. They're one of the few RPG centric developers that will work with Microsoft, primarily because they're so publisher reliant. Sony has a wide range of Japanese developers to choose from. There's no barrier in that regard. So why work with Mistwalker who has a history of releasing games that don't set the charts on fire, and have to drop a large sum of cash to make that happen, when Level5, Atlus, etc. are going to release RPG's exclusively on your console regardless.

FF killer? Is there any source for that?

I know Verendus claimed this was a thing but I don't believe it for a second to be honest (I haven't seen anything he's claimed pan out as yet in fact).

I'm not seeing the PS4 doing majorly better than Xbone in Japan, and Sony are bound to be aware of the state of that market at this point. I don't see them funding a major JRPG either when it's biggest target market are likely to take no notice.

I could believe the 'Demons Souls 2' talk as that would have a shot at real international success, but not a 'proper' JRPG.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I know Verendus claimed this was a thing but I don't believe it for a second to be honest (I haven't seen anything he's claimed pan out as yet in fact).

I'm not seeing the PS4 doing majorly better than Xbone in Japan, and Sony are bound to be aware of the state of that market at this point. I don't see them funding a major JRPG either when it's biggest target market are likely to take no notice.

I could believe the 'Demons Souls 2' talk as that would have a shot at real international success, but not a 'proper' JRPG.

Is the console market in Japan that bad?

FuturusX

I was doing so well holding out on an Xbox One too. It was relatively easy too - the launch has been less than stellar. JRPG on the other hand....fuuuuuuucccckkkk.

Would a LO2 on XBO mean that PS4 won't have RPGs?

No, the success of TitanFall, COD and BF will make it so we don't get RPGs. Market trends..*sigh*

TriGen

June 10th is a Tuesday and that's the likely date for Microsoft's E3 conference. Wouldn't shock me if this was true.

Don't forget Infinite Undiscovery!

-________-

Blue Dragon and Tales are not AAA lol. Also you do know the PS3 has gotten 4 Tales game's this gen with another coming this year while 360 has got 1.

Is the console market in Japan that bad?

Lol no. PS4 will walk past XB1's lifetime sales in that country in a year......and the PS4 isn't even going to be selling well. Thats how bad Xbox does in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom