• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Series of Adult-Themed Independent Games That are "Legitimate" Games?

Bluecondor

Before I start this thread, please let me first say that, if this topic is off-limits, please close it - and please accept my apologies.

That said - as an adult who is a fan of gaming, I have found various adult-themed games online over the years, and they have mostly been scams, or very poorly made games by our typical gaming standards. I can't even think of a single one of these games that was as good as say the Hot Coffee mod on GTA: SA from 2004.

Over the past year or though, I have found a few really well-made adult-themed games that have been developed using the Ren'Py platform, which is free and has been available for years (since 2006 I believe) to make story-based games that emphasize player choices, branching story lines and animations. Because they are made on the Ren'Py platform, small developers (most of these seem to be independent individual designers) can put out really well-made games that are in the "choose-your-adventure"/visual novel genre.

I've got to say that the storylines, character development and even the quality of the renders in some cases are quite good.

There is a game "Acting Lessons" in which you are a 30-something year old guy with a best friend named Liam. You fall for a woman who is in her mid-20s, and there is this intricate story with several choices and different branches. Now, to be fair, it is an adult game, so several of these choices lead to explicit adult scenes, etc. But - the story and the characters have some depth and the animations are really immersive (even the regular story animations, etc.). And, your best friend Liam in this game actually feels like a real person and he responds to your choices, etc. The game is on episode 4 of 8 right now, and the designer seems really committed to making a good game.

There is another one called "Twists of My Life" - which is a twenty-something year old "student of a law school" (LOL) trying to establish himself at a new school. It is far-fetched and over the top explicit at times, but again, great characters and an interesting story. There was another demo of a game "Jessica O'Neill's Hard News" about a 25 year old female news reporter who is trying to make it in the newspaper industry, which really makes you feel like the woman is trying to start out her career as a journalist.

Now, to be honest, it is clear that these games are hardcore and cater to adults. But - I had never seen games like this before - adult-themes and images, with many great features of "legitimate" games. It in many ways reminds me of when I first started watching Sopranos on HBO - some very intense adult themes and explicit portrayals in certain scenes, but interesting characters and storylines that hold your attention.

Anyone else, or am I "that" guy?

Last edited:

Bluecondor

No "adult-themed" game has got even close to the 1995 game True Love.

I saw this on the Wikipedia entry for True Love: "The game is played through a series of virtual days, consecutively spanning three months. At the start of each morning, players designate an activity to pursue for evening, night, and in the case of weekends or vacation, daytime: studying, practicing art, exercising, grooming, recreation, taking a break, going to work, shopping or fulfilling a promise. Each choice affects the overall being of the player at the conclusion of the day, and points are distributed among stats for passion, appearance, fatigue, scholarship, strength and art. Depending on the level of these stats, and the order of schedules made during particular days, the player will shift their romantic focus and possibly trigger nonlinear events and encounters over time. In addition, working generates income and shopping allows the player to voluntarily spend their money on items for themselves or to give as gifts."

LOL! Wow - so is this what inspired games like Persona 5? Or was it the other way around?

Persona 5 was my first Persona game, so I honestly don't know the answer.

Airola

LOL! Wow - so is this what inspired games like Persona 5? Or was it the other way around?

It's a dating/life simulator with hentai content. There were dating and life simulators before True Love. Tokimeki Memorial is a dating simulator that came in 1994 and Jones in the Fast Lane is a life simulator that came in 1990. And Alter Ego came in 1986. In most of these types of games you are not controlling any 2D or 3D characters but you make decisions on what to do via menu screens and discussion choices and choosing places to visit.

I haven't played Persona games and I think their genre is very much different from this kinds of games. Aren't they full on RPGs? I think the first Persona game came around 1996 or so. So if it had some life simulation type of gameplay it possibly has taken inspiration from games like Jones in the Fast Lane. I doubt they were looking at True Love when they made Persona but who knows.

One new dating simulator that has been released in recent years is Sunrider Academy (2015). It's really hard and very frustrating though. Really hard to succeed. It's like the Dark Souls of the dating simulator / visual novel genre :D And it becomes pretty monotonous after some time and takes ages to finish. But other than that it's really good take on the genre.

Bluecondor

I haven't played Persona games and I think their genre is very much different from this kinds of games. Aren't they full on RPGs? I think the first Persona game came around 1996 or so. So if it had some life simulation type of gameplay it possibly has taken inspiration from games like Jones in the Fast Lane. I doubt they were looking at True Love when they made Persona but who knows.

Ya - Persona 5 is a full on RPG with a detailed battle system, etc. But, this RPG is mixed with a high school life/dating sim that is almost exactly what is described in the paragraph from Wikipedia on True Love - a defined period of time in which days are divided and your character can perform tasks. The point system for various character attributes advances slowly, which then makes the player more attractive for dating various characters, and then a series of nonlinear events that allows you to change your focus from one girl to another, etc.

Airola

It is a shame no one released an English version of this game

Wow, well that's an obscure game licence. Back in my teen years I remember oogling the covers of Milo Manara comics in comic catalogs. Had no idea an official Milo Manara game existed.

e0n

It's basically westerners trying to take a crack at the VN genre. Patreon is just a hotbed for them since games with romantic and taboo subjects aren't being made. I haven't looked too deeply, but I would say that a lot have immature writing or bland characters, like most visual novels.

Bluecondor

It's basically westerners trying to take a crack at the VN genre. Patreon is just a hotbed for them since games with romantic and taboo subjects aren't being made. I haven't looked too deeply, but I would say that a lot have immature writing or bland characters, like most visual novels.

Ya - I definitely see how the VN genre is far more developed in Japan. But - at least from what I have seen, this is a new trend for Western adult-themed games. They use Patreon for support and sites like F95zone to test their games and get feedback from players, etc.

I agree that a lot of these are limited with respect to writing, but like anything else, the developers who really want to put in the time and effort through iterative releases stand apart from those who just make little more than a one time demo.

Dunki

There are some really good Adult visual novels out there. Kara no Shoujo is proably one of the best in terms of story but also very disturbing.

Set in post-war Japan (1956 to be exact), Kara no Shojo follows Reiji Tokisaka, a private detective specializing in catching serial killers. When girls from several local high schools are found dismembered, Reiji is hired to enter one of the schools and, posing as a teacher, find the killer.

If you can endure it in terms of violence and terror it is a fantastic story and the evelopment of Reiji is truly something to remember.

But ecen on steam are great visual novels like the Grisaia series which in the first game deals with several girls suffering from different psychologicalproblems.. And the Steam version even removed the sex scenes if this is something people holding back. (But yes there are also Steam patches to uncensor them.

I just witsh you could buy them straigt on Steam uncensored.

And since someone mentioned True Love yeah I really miss these kind of games. They are now mostly done for women and non adult version like the tokimeki memorial girls side series.

Also if you want a decent JRPG with eroge content you should try Kamidori which is also a very good game besides the few sex scenes it has to offer^^

But yeah these kind of games seem to be very popular right now even on steam and also by many women. So lets see if western VN can get close to japanese ones.

Last edited:

Isa

I like them, I recall my first adult VN was from the late 90's, though I can't remember the name of it. It sort of launched my love of hentai and ecchi stuff, in part due to the surpisingly well written stories and characters. Though I won't lie, nowadays I stick to the cruder end of the spectrum with full on hentai/pr0n games. There are some great titles out there, and stuff with their own internet drama as well. I personally enjoy my metroidvanias old the adult side.

Bluecondor

There are some great titles out there, and stuff with their own internet drama as well. I personally enjoy my metroidvanias old the adult side.

Interesting - I wasn't aware that there were adult-themed metroidvanias, although when you think about it, that would make perfect sense, given the emphasis on world-building in these types of games.

Bluecondor

I have to admit - when I first wrote the original post, I had feared that this thread would quickly devolve into some XXX-rated discussion that would be shut down. Instead, NeoGAF has some very refined tastes when it comes to adult gaming. Impressive!

Isa

Yeah its nice to see, it'd be a shame if a real part of the scene is hidden in discussion due to its content when there a those who enjoy these types of titles. The stuff I enjoy does go far beyond most acceptable norms I'd wager, with topics and art most would scoff at. But I love it. Hell the animated sprite stuff is amazing, if derogatory, art.

petran79

Banned
Interesting. I've never heard of that game. Is the main character the woman?

So it seems, though havent played it. It is based on an erotic comic by the famous Milo Manara. There was another game based on his comics, called Giuliveriana (female version of Gulliver) but it is more narrative based instead of a text adventure

Bluecondor

Yeah its nice to see, it'd be a shame if a real part of the scene is hidden in discussion due to its content when there a those who enjoy these types of titles. The stuff I enjoy does go far beyond most acceptable norms I'd wager, with topics and art most would scoff at. But I love it. Hell the animated sprite stuff is amazing, if derogatory, art.

Ya - I can see that a lot of the fans enjoy the intense themes and make the same point that games allow you to explore these issues through "animated sprites" as you nicely described it. Again - it reminds me a lot of how I used to enjoy organized crime through the Sopranos. It's also nice because the creators are pretty straightforward about which themes are in their games. For example, there is a genre of fans who is really into wives and cheating, so if a game has this as a keyword in the description and it's not your thing, you can move on to something else.

Dunki

Wow - thanks for posting these! The "Kara no Shojo" game in particular sounds like it would be a memorable game.
Given that there is not much which came out here in the west another great detective one is ECE Burst Error which is part of the EVE series and Chain ~ The Lost Footprints both are again Detective visual novels. But eve has a very interestng mechanic which lets you switch whenever you want to one of the two main characters which also can give you a lot of replayability

edit: The chain opening has nudity so I removed it but if you want to watch it its on youtube XD

They are quite old but have a really cool style imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom