• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sonic 2017 and Sonic Mania (release date?) info March 16

Falk

that puzzling face
If it isnt I will riot
I mean come on Sega. You had a right ides. It worked stop experimenting that much.
Generation 2 is the answer

Think there are two diverging discussions here. Generations setting and Generations gameplay. SEGA's answers could be in reference to one or the other. Or both. Or none and they're trolling you. :V

Think there are two diverging discussions here. Generations setting and Generations gameplay. SEGA's answers could be in reference to one or the other. Or both. Or none and they're trolling you. :V
I'm talking generations gameplay of course.
They were still experimenting with lost worlds and IMO that experiment failed big time.

It's time to go back to a gameplay system that will satisfy people..
Something generations clearly achieved

jax

Banned

TRUE! That's exactly what I thought when they were so adamant about people not referring to it as Generations 2. SEGA is so cryptic that's why I love them. ❤️

I'd like to see an evolved form of Generations. Generations is great but ultimately is a 6 year old game. I want to see how far SEGA can push Sonic in our modern console generation.

It would be amazing to see a more open world Sonic, for example. But with heavy elements from how he controls in Generations.

Something like this could really stand out, and it might need to considering its competing head to head with the Plumber.

Mawile

Banned
I'm 99.99999999999% certain it'll be Generations styled or inspired gameplay so I have faith on that regard at least.

cireza

Great, really looking forward to those two games. Will buy day 1, love Sonic games.

I am particularly interested by how different the Switch version of Sonic 2017 will be, when compared to PS4One.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Sonic Mania could be positioned just right for Sega to have massive success with it. Especially if they do have a physical release. With the Switch having such a massive drought of games, Sonic Mania could well be the right game coming at just the right time for it.

ckaneo

I wish Sonic 2017 went to adventure style control instead of the boost mechanic. Also with Sonic Mania there is no need to pander to the 2D crowd with what is sure to be awkward controls and out of place gameplay.

jax

Banned
Great, really looking forward to those two games. Will buy day 1, love Sonic games.

I am particularly interested by how different the Switch version of Sonic 2017 will be, when compared to PS4One.

Haha, knowing me I'll end up triple dipping. XB1/Switch/PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I remember seeing the budget somewhere.. but that does seem high. Regardless, I'm sure they're pouring more money into it than the Smurf movies, since Sonic is way more popular and a more global brand.

I wouldn't expect it to be much higher given the budgets SPA has been given to work with over the past decade (~$100m seems to be the ceiling) and the fact that while the Sonic/Mario crossovers gave the brand a much-needed boost, it remains an unknown quantity as far as film drawcards are concerned. SPA has proven it can product solid work within a relatively modest budget, though, so I don't think the film receiving a budget that's in line with history would be detrimental -- spending money for the sake of spending money is just throwing it away.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I wish Sonic 2017 went to adventure style control instead of the boost mechanic. Also with Sonic Mania there is no need to pander to the 2D crowd with what is sure to be awkward controls and out of place gameplay.
As much shit as I give the Adventure games for many reasons, the core movement and jumping controls in 3D are lightyears ahead of the modern games and I agree I'd love a return to that style of control over the boost formula. Lost World was a step in the right direction but brought a whole new set of problems.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No Chao Garden?! You monster!

Chao garden is tedious busy work with no interesting challenge and no speed either. I don't have a problem with it being included if it is 100% strictly optional and unlocks absolutely nothing, not even an achievement or a star on the save game select file. Otherwise, I don't want to ever see those horrible boring nuisances ever again. They sucked hard in Sonic Adventure, where they blocked access to Metal Sonic in the DX version (and had emblems associated to them), they sucked equally as much in Sonic Adventure 2, where they blocked access to Green Hill. I have spent numerous hours with redundant tasks that have no connection whatsoever to fast-paced platforming gameplay in SA1 and 2 and I can never forget them for all the time they took from me.

jax

Banned
Chao garden is tedious busy work with no interesting challenge and no speed either. I don't have a problem with it being included if it is 100% strictly optional and unlocks absolutely nothing, not even an achievement or a star on the save game select file. Otherwise, I don't want to ever see those horrible boring nuisances ever again. They sucked hard in Sonic Adventure, where they blocked access to Metal Sonic in the DX version (and had emblems associated to them), they sucked equally as much in Sonic Adventure 2, where they blocked access to Green Hill. I have spent numerous hours with redundant tasks that have no connection whatsoever to fast-paced platforming gameplay in SA1 and 2 and I can never forget them for all the time they took from me.

That's.. actually a really fair point. How bout a Chao Garden mobile app that optionally connects to 2017? Might be a fun way to bridge the various platforms as well.

I personally loved raising the little guys but I could see the tedious aspects of it for sure. I just really enjoyed how the animals you save during the adventure can be specifically farmed and used for the Chao.. as well as their connection to
Chaos

jax

Banned
I'm still betting on Boom Sonic being announced as the third playable character for Project Sonic...
Eh. They know Boom isn't popular with mainline fans. They wouldn't screw the pooch to promote what is essentially a distraction sub-franchise, a way to say "look over here" since the Colors/LW flip side of Sonic Team is all working on 2017.

Case in point: SatAM had nothing to do with any Sonic game.

NotLiquid

Sonic Generations style game play (even if they explicitly say it isn't a sequel) sounds about what I'd expect from the game, which would be disappointing. Generations proved to me that years of manpower to render insane stretches of levels only for a 2 hour long game with some incredibly perfunctory stop-and-go design is probably not worth it.

Then again 2017 already disappointed me right out the gate by confirming Classic Sonic's return. What was once a surprising "holy shit" level reveal now feels like a crutch to hold up the current foundation of Sonic that's becoming increasingly clear is something they lack confidence in.

jax

Banned
Sonic Generations style game play (even if they explicitly say it isn't a sequel) sounds about what I'd expect from the game, which would be disappointing. Generations proved to me that years of manpower to render insane stretches of levels only for a 2 hour long game with some incredibly perfunctory stop-and-go design is probably not worth it.

Then again 2017 already disappointed me right out the gate by confirming Classic Sonic's return. What was once a surprising "holy shit" level reveal now feels like a crutch to hold up the current foundation of Sonic that's becoming increasingly clear is something they lack confidence in.
I mean, Classic Sonic is a main character in the Modern Sonic universe now.. but I agree with you in that I hope if there are 2D levels in 2017, they perform closer to the Genesis classics than the clunky Classic levels in Generations. But I don't see Classic Sonic as a crutch at all. MSonic needs a partner that isn't "shit I always mess things up" Tails and "WOHA EGGMAN SAID YOURE NOT MY FRIEND" Knuckles. I'd also prefer Classic than some new friend they come up with.

ckaneo

As much shit as I give the Adventure games for many reasons, the core movement and jumping controls in 3D are lightyears ahead of the modern games and I agree I'd love a return to that style of control over the boost formula. Lost World was a step in the right direction but brought a whole new set of problems.

Easily. Like just give us a steady dose of Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic/Shadow gameplay. And give it a half assesd story about interdimensional travel so that the developers are free to creatively make levels and ignore the plot which they are sure to fuck up on/

Also give us back Chao Garden.

On a side note, sometimes I wish the Mario Galaxy team made Sonic Lost World. Holy shit that would have been excellent.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It would be amazing to see a more open world Sonic, for example. But with heavy elements from how he controls in Generations.

Open world and extreme speed do not mesh at all, it just sucks, because you have to learn your ways through the levels or the game always has to point in the right direction, in which case the open world is useless extra work for the developers. Also, every time they tried open environments, be it SA1's overworld, S06's overworld or the entirety of Boom, I really don't see how a more open world would be any useful in a Sonic game. Moreover, with Mario moving to a more open world and Yooka being out soon, being more linear would be giving more variety anyway.

jax

Banned
Open world and extreme speed do not mesh at all, it just sucks, because you have to learn your ways through the levels or the game always has to point in the right direction, in which case the open world is useless extra work for the developers. Also, every time they tried open environments, be it SA1's overworld, S06's overworld or the entirety of Boom, I really don't see how a more open world would be any useful in a Sonic game. Moreover, with Mario moving to a more open world and Yooka being out soon, being more linear would be giving more variety anyway.

I dunno. They've been working and working on it.. there are fun aspects of Lost World too.. I think if they made tons of Boost paths it could feel more open world while simultaneously being linear. Kind of like the originals.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Yeah pretty much.

Honestly I want to see Sonic Team do an open world lite Sonic game. Like, a game with levels that are basically open Sonic playgrounds in 3D. Just encourage running around and exploring an open environment using Sonic's abilities. Have a real parkour system and give me that open free feeling of controlling Sonic in a 3D environment. Basically something like Sonic Utopia but with more focused level design.

jax

Banned
Yeah pretty much.

Honestly I want to see Sonic Team do an open world lite Sonic game. Like, a game with levels that are basically open Sonic playgrounds in 3D. Just encourage running around and exploring an open environment using Sonic's abilities. Have a real parkour system and give me that open free feeling of controlling Sonic in a 3D environment. Basically something like Sonic Utopia but with more focused level design.
Yes! Sonic Utopia is a good example of high speed open world comes closer to how I imagine it could be in 2017 with cityscapes and amazing graphics. Somewhere in the middle of Utopia and Boost. If anyone could make it happen, it's Sonic Team.

Regiruler

Why would they make another Sonic Boom game when the first one is so notoriously awful?

Do you mean "make a 3rd game when the first two range from painfully mediocre to ok"?

They don't acknowledge the wii u game.
I'm talking generations gameplay of course.
They were still experimenting with lost worlds and IMO that experiment failed big time.

It's a shame people think this. Lost World, despite it's failings, was a lot more skill based than generations was.

RocknRola

No open world crap please >.> We have Ubisoft for "Everything is Now Open World" games!

Generations 2.0 (gameplay) would be awesome. Lost World kiiiiiinnnnnda worked, but it would need a lot of refinement and much, much better level design and structure (aka, drop the thin corridors and make more wide and vertical levels to make use of it's peculiar movement system) to become good instead of just okay.

Neoxon

It'll be another Sonic Boom game. The TV series is still popular, so you might as well throw another game at it.
You know I respect you Tripon, but that was a terrible first post.

I mean, Boom Sonic could be in the game, but did you not see the initial trailer?

jax

Banned
BlueParax said:
So apparently the new issue of Nintendo Dream says that in Sonic 2017 Modern & Classic Sonic have to save the World from Eggman once again
source

BIG SUPRISE. But hey, news is news.

Do you mean "make a 3rd game when the first two range from painfully mediocre to ok"?

It's a shame people think this. Lost World, despite it's failings, was a lot more skill based than generations was.
Lost world introduced way too much unnecessary things in the formula.
Not a bad game but not great IMO.
I feel that the level design in lost world suffered by introducing so many mecanics and it stopped being fun.
It was a nice experiment but we need, they need to acknowledge what worked and what didn't.
From the mecanics TO the level design.
It was so uneven in lost worlds

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Then explain why Sonic Utopia is so damn fun to play. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it cant be done and cant be done well.

ar4757

Mania is a known product so I'm *morbidly* curious for Project 2017. Just kidding, I'm pretty sure it should be good at the very least

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I would LOVE to see a game that took the good ideas of Lost World and refined them in to a more focused, coherent, consistent high quality package. Would rather see that than another boost game any day of the week. Lost World had a lot of problems. A lot. But it also did some really good things and I wish Sonic Team would build on it and refine it.

Tripon

Well, I mean, no it isn't, judging from what they've shown.

The tiny bits of footage suggest generations 2.

Why would they make another Sonic Boom game when the first one is so notoriously awful?

The game was already announced months ago with a teaser trailer. It's a mainline Sonic game.

Conaidering what we saw in the teaser, I don't know how you've come to this conclusion.

You know I respect you Tripon, but that was a terrible first post.

I mean, Boom Sonic could be in the game, but did you not see the initial trailer?

Check the last bullet point in the image in the OP.

Indigo Rush

Neo Member
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that the "surprise" is news on seldom-discussed Sonic film that's been in the works for a while.

As for Mania, just a release date or a minor teaser please; I want to see as little as possible before game comes out. I want to go through this one wide-eyed and innocent like I did in 1994.

I don't care what they reveal about Project 2017.

Awesome. So we're finally getting more news. Sounds good. Mania is looking spectacular with the talent behind it and breaking the silence on Project Sonic 2017 is more than welcome. It has had the longest development time of any Sonic game ever echoing Sega's new strategy to delay games to focus on quality so I have faith that it'll be great. It's not Generations 2 in that it features all new levels but design-wise it mirrors the same core formula which worked incredibly well for Generations 1.

So I'm optimistic and confident this time. Both games will be excellent IMO. Roll on March.

Toa Axis

Will certainly be interesting to see what they talk about. Hopefully they'll reveal a new stage for Mania, at the very least. As for Project 2017, I don't think we'll see much. If I were to guess, we might get an official title and a brief teaser, but they'll want to keep the focus on Mania until it releases. Then they can go nuts.

This is certainly an interesting year for Sonic. I'm not really worried for Mania, but it'll be up to Sonic Team to follow through, and we know they can be...sporadic. So we'll see.

TreIII

Echoing the desire for a Mania physical release. Need that for my Switch~!

Project 2017 can almost do whatever the hell it wants, in comparison. If it's good, I'll buy. If not, I at least got Mania!

Piers

Wasn't there a slide in last year's Japan show that said Sonic 2017 was beginning production?
Like...literally only now actually in production. For a 2017 release.
Edit:
Sonic-2017.jpg

It just feels weird to pull Classic Sonic back out for another new game that, seemingly, doesn't have any classic levels or anniversary tie-ins. Sonic is his own shitty friend now.

Berordn

Wasn't there a slide in last year's Japan show that said Sonic 2017 was beginning production?
Like…literally only now actually in production. For a 2017 release.
Edit:
Sonic-2017.jpg

I'd be very surprised if they hadn't been doing engine work and concepts before that, though the project probably hadn't been finalized until we got the trailer.

It probably doesn't mean much.

Mr Swine

Banned
It just feels weird to pull Classic Sonic back out for another new game that, seemingly, doesn't have any classic levels or anniversary tie-ins. Sonic is his own shitty friend now.

Could be the aftermath after the Time Eater screwing up With classic Eggman trying to prevent more losses and probably is a split timeline from the main series

J@hranimo

Banned
Echoing the desire for a Mania physical release. Need that for my Switch~!

Project 2017 can almost do whatever the hell it wants, in comparison. If it's good, I'll buy. If not, I at least got Mania!

Lol yup this is me. I need to know which classic zones are coming back!

Piers

That's just it, really. Sonic 4 sticking to the modern design was suppose to be Sonic Team maintaining confidence in Sonic as he is at present to keep the revenue healthy. Generations was a celebration of old and new, and now it's unsurprisingly turned into a crutch for Sega to anxiously generate more profit out of.

People hope it's 'Generations 2', but that soon after the last game? There's only been Lost World that distinctly spaces the two.

Toa Axis

Like…literally only now actually in production. For a 2017 release.
Edit:
Sonic-2017.jpg
Oh, this bodes quite badly. I'm far more worried now.

Have they been twiddling their thumbs since Lost World released?

They've flat out denied that it's Generations 2, despite the inclusion of Classic Sonic.
The title won't be generations 2 but it clearly is the next game in the line of Sonic Colors & Sonic Generations, and will probably build on the gameplay from those games. And if not-- they are dumb. Generations was awesome but being 30FPS on consoles held it back from being great unless you played it on PC. Plus I know a lot of people who are fans of sonic but got burned too many times didn't even try playing it (like Drew, Jeff and Dan on Giant Bomb)

Falchion

I'm actually really looking forward to all the new Sonic games. I just bought a ton of the good ones from the Xbox digital sale a few weeks ago and I'm in the mood for new ones.

Top Bottom