• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SSX: Deadly Descents news from Official Xbox Magazine (WoW on a snowboard!!!)

slider

Fuck SSX if it's departing so far from the spirit of the originals. But someone should step up and, umm, re-introduce it. Online would be awesome. I used to fuck my brother up playing split screen.

LevityNYC

Banned
"Batty says he's got a unique way of including the score-multiplier feature from the old games without resorting to large neon-colored snowflakes that ruin the feeling of reality."

I DONT WANT REALITY!!!

I WANT TO SNOWBOARD IN A GIANT FUCKING PINBALL MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol I watched some gameplay and then rewatched the trailer, now I understand why people are so pissed. It's like to set Fallout sequel on a lush green island somewhere in Oceania.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ICallItFutile said:
Powering up an ice axe in a snowboarding game is incredibly, incredibly dumb.

Well there goes any hope of a real SSX sequel.

But leveling up ice picks is like so realistic man. Unlike colors or big jumps.

Minamu

If they have 15 months to go, I think it's a bit early to be super raging over this, especially when we've only seen a CG trailer and like 3 screenshots. I agree that things are looking extremely grim for SSX fans at the moment but come on. We're getting tiny bread crumbs of information at this point.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
subversus said:
lol I watched some gameplay and then rewatched the trailer, now I understand why people are so pissed. It's like to set Fallout sequel on a lush green island somewhere in Oceania.
I see... what you did there?

Lijik

"Batty says he's got a unique way of including the score-multiplier feature from the old games without resorting to large neon-colored snowflakes that ruin the feeling of reality."
For the love of god, if it involves shit bordering the edge of the screen like darkening the edges and blurring the rest to show how intense your trick is, I will flip a teatable.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Minamu said:
If they have 15 months to go, I think it's a bit early to be super raging over this, especially when we've only seen a CG trailer and like 3 screenshots. I agree that things are looking extremely grim for SSX fans at the moment but come on. We're getting tiny bread crumbs of information at this point.

This info is very straightforward. There is nothing to misinterpret

Forkball

The "gamer types" quote is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard a developer say. I just pray to god no one at Square Enix reads that line. They will latch on to that idea more than "appealing to a Western audience."

Teetris said:
Opposed? Gritty, Intense and Dudebro games can't be fun?

I'm talking purely visually, not about the experience of playing the game.
The point is colorful graphics like SSX used to have were inviting, fun, playful, etc.

I have faith the game could be good, as I don't need it to be old style SSX to have fun. But...

Creative director Todd Batty says everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games. He says that there are 10 "gamer types" for video games including "Explorers" who love big open worlds, "Managers" who love bartering and trading goods, and "Monsters" who mess people up. He says World of Warcraft hits nine of these types, and SSX DD currently hits 8, which is 2 more than SSX 3.

FUCK THIS. The fact that anyone in gaming, let alone someone in charge of actually making games thinks, and goes onto say this is maddening.

Surprised people are so upset about the "gamer types" thing. I think you guys would be horrified to know how many developers you know and love refer to it.

Minamu

HK-47 said:
This info is very straightforward. There is nothing to misinterpret
Maybe, maybe not. I'm just saying that I'm still in the wait and see phase. We need more people over here :) It's kinda lonely :p

Lijik

timetokill said:
Surprised people are so upset about the "gamer types" thing. I think you guys would be horrified to know how many developers you know and love refer to it.
You wouldnt happen to know the other 7 would you?

Minamu said:
Maybe, maybe not. I'm just saying that I'm still in the wait and see phase. We need more people over here :) It's kinda lonely :p

I guess SSX believes you are a cross between the "Hopeful" and "Lonley" Gamertype then.

They have hit two types! Someone give Todd Batty a fucking medal!

Mrbob

I'm hoping this SSX revival splits up the series into different camps like with Need for Speed. You get Hot Pursuit for the arcade racer fan and then Shift for the realistic racer fan. This can be the Shift SSX and we need the Hot Pursuit version incoming.

graywolf323

subversus said:

Fallout: Far Cry?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
gondee said:
Creative director Todd Batty says everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games.

This could be because a) "everyone" is a fucking moron, or b) SSX games don't look like 360 and PS3 games because they are, in fact, a generation old.

I don't usually get angry about what video game directors say, but holy shit what a fucking asshole.

"I think if we take that family dynamic that we have in 'The Fighter,' and put that in terms of a grander stage, with an SSX team that metes out justice in the world of snowboarding," he said. "If you're the head of a mountain, or head of state, you've got to deal with them, and they're badass. ...They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great skills, and they have a sense of justice."

David O. Russell on SSX.

Google tells me Todd Batty's previous, and only other game is FaceBreaker :/

...that's it. all faith gone. Guy can fuck off with his gamer types.

1700206-screen_shot_2011_02_03_at_3.49.48_pm.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mrbob said:
I'm hoping this SSX revival splits up the series into different camps like with Need for Speed. You get Hot Pursuit for the arcade racer fan and then Shift for the realistic racer fan. This can be the Shift SSX and we need the Hot Pursuit version incoming.
well lbh all that's gonna happen is that this will fail and people at ea will say SEE nobody wanted ssx back; stupid hardcores. and ssx will go the way of everything else in the ea vault

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
MarshMellow96 said:
"I think if we take that family dynamic that we have in 'The Fighter,' and put that in terms of a grander stage, with an SSX team that metes out justice in the world of snowboarding," he said. "If you're the head of a mountain, or head of state, you've got to deal with them, and they're badass. ...They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great skills, and they have a sense of justice."

David O. Russell on SSX.

Please tell me this is fake. Please.

"An SSX team that metes out justice in the world of snowboarding."

I'm speechless.

Edit: It's fake--thankfully.

gokieks

Plinko said:

I'm speechless.

That's a quote on the Uncharted movie with the subject matter replaced.

: People look at SSX Tricky and SSX3 and think they are Wii games. Thats bad.

: Lets use the SSX name

If my fantasies were reality then this game would bomb while some other company would make an SSX Tricky clone that sells 4 to 5 million units.

Unfortunately that is not how the world ever works. That means SSX: DudeBro will probably sell 9 million copies.

Keyser Soze said:
Google tells me Todd Batty's previous, and only other game is FaceBreaker :/

Which had a cartoony artstyle

facebreaker-20080820041831519.jpg

I get the feeling that he sees that artstyle choice as one of the reasons why that game failed.

Plinko said:

I'm speechless.

Haha. Yeah, sorry - it's definitely fake.

It's just whatever this guy says about what SSX reminds me of O. Russell spouting bollocks about Uncharted.

SolidSnakex - is that a Wii game? Ergh..

Lijik said:
You wouldnt happen to know the other 7 would you?

Not everybody uses the same classifications. At any rate, it's supposed to be something of a psychological evaluation of players and what things they enjoy in their games. Some lists have 4-5, others have up to 10. As an example of what they could be, if I had to guess at his list of 10:

1. Explorers -- gamers that like to explore environments and have fun finding areas and mapping them out

2. Managers -- people that love trading and marketplace systems

3. Griefers -- what he's calling "monsters," it's people that get most of their enjoyment out of messing up the play experience for others

4. Collectors -- people who want to collect everything in a game, whether it's items or whatever, and never get rid of them/spend them (hoarding)

5. Achievers -- people who are driven by getting the top ranks or top scores

6. Socializers -- people are playing mainly to have a social, fun experience with other people

7. Storyteller -- people who are invested in the lore, frequently are roleplayers, etc.

8. Builders -- people who like creating content or creating things within the game space

9. Killers -- people that just want to kill stuff in the game

10. Nurturers -- people that want to level up/cultivate things or help other players do so

Anyway, like I said I've seen tons of variations on this around the industry, so I don't know which ones he's using exactly.

SolidSnakex said:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/900/900453/facebreaker-20080820041831519.jpg[img]

I get the feeling that he sees that artstyle choice as one of the reasons why that game failed.[/QUOTE]

Looks Like A Wii Game

RyuHayate

When this was first announced, I was optimistic that the only major change would be the visual style and the gameplay would remain familiar.

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case here. It's like, why bother?

That is *NOT* SSX. Fuck you EA.

Leveling up equipment? Seriously?! It's kind of hilarious how accurate the other threads title ended up being.

timetokill said:
Perhaps I'm just speaking for myself here, but I know I would be. The entire thing screams cynical businessman speak that is less about actually creating something artistic or interesting and more about something that will sell upwards of two or three million units.

And that's the problem with this game: it's so fucking cynical it's not to be believed. To be fair, it's not like SSX wasn't always kind of Poochie in its presentation - I mean, let's be honest here, Eddie, Moby, Psymon and all these characters we look back on as these great things were just as manufactured and faux-cool as anything we've seen for Deadly Descent - but at least they had fun with the tropes and took the game to ridiculous levels. Every single time they say a damn thing about this game I can hear the marketing person emphasizing how this is going to reach X demographic and I just get furious.

SolidSnakex said:

I get the feeling that he sees that artstyle choice as one of the reasons why that game failed.
I'm sure. It had nothing to do with the fact that Facebreaker was just a really shitty game and had less depth than many XBLA/PSN titles. Nope.

sneaky77

I still think people jumping to all sorts of conclusions before any gameplay is kinda jumping the gun.. i'll wait for a demo.. or till anything close to final game appears before deciding much of anything..

I AM JOHN! said:
Perhaps I'm just speaking for myself here, but I know I would be. The entire thing screams cynical businessman speak that is less about actually creating something artistic or interesting and more about something that will sell upwards of two or three million units.

And that's the problem with this game: it's so fucking cynical it's not to be believed. To be fair, it's not like SSX wasn't always kind of Poochie in its presentation - I mean, let's be honest here, Eddie, Moby, Psymon and all these characters we look back on as these great things were just as manufactured and faux-cool as anything we've seen for Deadly Descent - but at least they had fun with the tropes and took the game to ridiculous levels. Every single time they say a damn thing about this game I can hear the marketing person emphasizing how this is going to reach X demographic and I just get furious.

That's fine, and I'm not surprised that people would have that reaction. But this is a business after all, and it's this guy's job to make a product that will sell. It's not something you might like as a consumer (and he can certainly be making the wrong decisions, which I believe he is) -- but it is calculated and yes, perhaps cynical.

I think the thing is, a lot of people here think they are buying things made by a bunch of people who are all artists doing what they want. But at the end of the day, unless you're a self-published indie title, chances are you've got investors and businessmen wanting a return, and you've got publishers and lead designers who are under the gun to deliver those returns.

I guess all I'm saying is it's not just this game. This kind of thinking has been behind a ton of games, and certainly behind some of GAF's favorites.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think this game sounds pretty cool.

Actually I think it sounds really awesome. If they can pull off what they talk about in the OP this will be like GOTF material.

sneaky77 said:
I still think people jumping to all sorts of conclusions before any gameplay is kinda jumping the gun.. i'll wait for a demo.. or till anything close to final game appears before deciding much of anything..

Almost everything we've heard about this game seems to go as far as possible from SSX without leaving the snowboarding genre that even if it turns out to to be a solid game on its own rights, it won't truly be SSX. Sure they're bringing some characters back and you're on a snowboard, but it sounds like that's where it stops.

twinturbo2 said:
Well, after bringing the greatness back to Need for Speed, they had to balance it out somewhere.

No, CRITERION brought greatness back to NFS, not EA.

Yoboman said:
Stick input made Skate a far superior game to Tony Hawk. I have no objections with this change

No, being great games made Skate superior to Tony Hawk, the stick controls were just a breath of fresh air in a dying genre. Nobody asked for Skate controls in SSX, and nobody asked for realism either.

timetokill said:
That's fine, and I'm not surprised that people would have that reaction. But this is a business after all, and it's this guy's job to make a product that will sell...

I guess all I'm saying is it's not just this game. This kind of thinking has been behind a ton of games, and certainly behind some of GAF's favorites.
Said GAF favorites usually don't push this kind of cynicism in selling the game to the enthusiast press. For all the meetings I'm sure they had about making Uncharted a third-person cover-based shooter with platforming because shooters are hot and that would differentiate the game, that's not what they sold the game on, instead focusing on how gorgeous it is, how good the acting is and how fun the gameplay is. Why would they ever think that selling a game on its marketing bullet points would make me or many people say "yeah okay, this sounds like a game made to appeal to the demographic I consider myself a part of and therefore I will buy this"? How fucking stupid do they think people are?

Every single measure they have made with this game - especially selling it on the "we appeal to eight of the ten types of gamers!!" point - strikes me as being completely insulting to your potential audience in saying "this game is going to be awesome because we made it to appeal to your stupid ass." If that's what your strong selling point is, how much more creatively fucking bankrupt could you get?

Jtwo said:
I think this game sounds pretty cool.

Actually I think it sounds really awesome. If they can pull off what they talk about in the OP this will be like GOTF material.
What is your favorite SSX game and why?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I AM JOHN! said:
What is your favorite SSX game and why?
The SSX Tricky demo that game with OPM back in the day.
Played that fuck out of that demo. Never got the actual game though.

I think this game sounds cool and actually kind of unique. The idea of a sweet snowboarding game that also has crazy Split Second style world events and probably some awesome snow mobile chases sounds really fun to me.

Top Bottom