• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

Kevin

This game looks incredible. Nintendo stays winning! Do we have any idea or estimate as to how many Kingdoms are in the game yet?

sleepnaught

Nintendo is just crushing it this year. I can't believe I doubted them a few months back, I was so wrong and Im glad I was. This is very much the sequel Super Mario 64 never truly got. That world map looks absolutely beautiful.

Do we know if each kingdom has one location or multiple ones?

trixx

the movement part where he does the flips and jumping on his hat, Mario doing the 64 jump-dive.

Very excited.

this shit though

giphy.gif

I'm not deep into Donkey Kong lore but is this going to retcon Donkey Kong into being named after the Donk city?
It could be a bit of a chuckie & egg situation.

The game looks awesome and i really wanna play it, the creepy/cringe inducing guy at the beginning and end of the video is not cool though. I skipped him to get to the actual gameplay and ended the video once he returned. I guess he's cool in the Nintendo bubble.

Koizumi is the mastermind behind the best game of all time, Majora's Mask. Not just some guy. He also is the head of the Switch team I think.

feel

Portable Skyrim, Portable DOOM, Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Splatoon 2 all in the same year.
Rocket League and Minecraft too. Crazy first year library.

Edit- FiFA and Nba2k also

Yukinari

Can we talk about Dorrie being back, thats a shock.

Dorrie and Pauline in the same game. Are we gonna get King Goomba too?

Shinypogs

Mario swimming as a fish is pretty much the cutest thing ever.

I don't even have an interest in this game and I want it just to swim around as a fishy, gives me vibes of morphing into a pollywog in threads of fate. Back on topic I really like breaking up the air bubble into smaller ones, cute little stuff like that shows up much detail they really put into this game.

Ok so uh what exactly is this outfit:

A friend of mine and I have been trying to figure it out for like 6 hours already.

Visor
Purple t-shirt
Belt
Jeans
White cloth-textured short sleeved trench coat? Robe? Long jacket?
Spats on shoes? Or is that skin, making them slippers?

Like what the fuck kind of outfit is this!?

ffdgh

A friend of mine and I have been trying to figure it out for like 6 hours already.

Visor
Purple t-shirt
Belt
Jeans

Wood kingdom takes place in a green house dome right? I'd say a botanist.

Visor
Purple t-shirt
Belt
Jeans

It's Dr. Mario, you see him wearing it in the footage.

Edit: actually maybe not. Kinda weird to have two white coat Marios though.

NKnight7

Neo Member
I'm still feeling a little 'wowed' over the footage today, but definitely my excitement for this game increased tenfold after today. This game might very well challenge Zelda for my personal GOTY.

Zubz

Banned
Daisy's been in every Mario spinoff game ever.

Maybe if/when a new Luigi's Mansion game comes out, they could have Daisy be a support character for Luigi.

The fact she wasn't in the last one was extremely disappointing. If we're ignoring spin-offs, Daisy is absolutely an acceptable choice for a revival.

Visor
Purple t-shirt
Belt
Jeans

These are all apart of different outfit sets. The white trench coat is the Doctor Mario outfit we have seen Mario wear. The belt is the Explorer outfit.

Edit: nevermind not the Dr. Mario coat. I don't think.

Also like someone else said, I hope Pauline becomes the new Rosalina. SNES era had Yoshi. Game Boy/Advance era had Wario. Wii/U era had Rosalina. Pauline could be the next new mascot that appears everywhere and is apart of the main cast.

Spinluck

I didn't think they would top Galaxy 1-2 but here we are.

They make it look easy.

I haven't played a second of this game but I know a winner, this here is a real one.

It's been a good year for Nintendo between this and BoTW. Which one will take GOTY? This just looks incredible. I almost wish I hadn't watched this so I could go in fresh.

Wood kingdom takes place in a green house dome right? I'd say a botanist.
Oooo that's a good guess!

It's Dr. Mario, you see him wearing it in the footage.

Edit: actually maybe not. Kinda weird to have two white coat Marios though.
Yeah it's confusing especially since he looks like "casual Mario" under the coat.

These are all apart of different outfit sets. The white trench coat is the Doctor Mario outfit we have seen Mario wear. The belt is the Explorer outfit.

That isn't how it works. Each outfit comes in two parts: the hat and the body. Also the Explorer Outfit is literally right next to it and the belts are different.

Edit: Just caught your edit - yeah the Dr Mario outfit is shown moments later in the trailer and it's also totally different - the coat is buttoned shut, white pants, standard brown shoes, and the stethoscope around the neck.

Visor
Purple t-shirt
Belt
Jeans

the closes thing i found is that it's a reference to a old Super Gameboy Commercial

AdanVC

The game looks awesome and i really wanna play it, the creepy/cringe inducing guy at the beginning and end of the video is not cool though. I skipped him to get to the actual gameplay and ended the video once he returned. I guess he's cool in the Nintendo bubble.

Yoooo, wat?? That guy might become the next CEO of Nintendo, come on! He has been involved on the development of the best and most iconic Nintendo games since the SNES era.

nbraun80

Visor
Purple t-shirt
Belt
Jeans

the visor could be some reference to mario golf, don't know if he ever wore one in those games, but quite a few characters did.

Elixist

ive been on blackout . i think i can still make it till next year to rebuy a switch, (scalped a couple of em) but this these posts are making it harder.

GCX

This game just oozes creativity. The core gameplay mechanic gives a trillion different possibilities and the developers just decided to throw them all in the game.

Top Bottom