• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Tales of games ( Wii , DS , PSP , PS2 ) scan

All I know is that the artstyle is a million times better than this shit

tales_of_the_tempest_artwork_20051220.jpg
\
mr skunk says "omg Innocence looks hot"

legend166

From that horrible writer over at IGN who writes the Virtual Console reviews:

Don't get too hyped over this one just yet. You'll find out why.

In reference to Tales Wii.

Sagitario

legend166 said:

Hometek? Dimps? Tose? :(

Shouta said:
It's really a Dragon Quest Swords style game I bet!

Free Run LMBS was already confirmed...

legend166 said:

Shitty on-rails 1st person dungeon crawler confirmed! With Free Run LMBS!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kinda strange that he'd tell fans not to get excited unless kiryogi's speculation earlier could be right then, that's the only reason for fans not hype this to oblivion (ignoring ToI in the process :(). This could be Sword of Legendia taken in a new direction to appeal to all the people who bought ToS on GCN, it would explain why they aren't calling this ToS 2 as well. That doesn't make sense either though since the battle system has already been confirmed to be free roam LMB, weird. Maybe it's the developer... oh well it's all useless speculation until we hear more about the game.

Sagitario

Shouta said:
Done in first person! ;)

160fs319111.jpg

Now I can't sleep from the excitement and the fear of disappointment... and it's raining outside :D [which is pretty rare where I live... a desert]... so... the lights will go off any minute...

ivysaur12 said:
Was Tales of the Tempest really that horrible? I know it was short, but did it even play well?

My main gripes were:

- Lack of hi-ougis
- Too short (I best it in 14 hrs even when I messed around with side-quests and deliberately fought many battles)
- Too easy
- No grades so basically zero replay value
- No map in the dungeons makes it confusing and too maze like
- The overworld is too freaking big and empty with little towns and such

Other than that it looks, feels and plays like a Tales game, just minus the budget. I enjoyed it.

up11535.jpg

It looks as if the character designs for Tales of Symphonia -Ratatosuku no Kishi- (Tales of Symphonia -The Knight of Ratatosuku) aren't done by Kosuke Fujishima (Oh My Goddess!).

I have taken the liberty of providing a translation of the article on Tales of Symphonia -Ratatosuku no Kishi-.

Romanji Transliteration

[TOS} Sono go o egaita
Shinsaku ga wii ni

Tsui ni Wii de [TO] ga asoberu hi ga yatte kuru!!

Sousahou ya shisutemu nado, kore made ni nai mono ni naru?!

English Translation

The afterward of Tales of Symphonia is depicted.
The new project heads to Wii!!

Finally, the day that you can play the Tales of games on the Wii has come!!
Will there be a new control method / system / etc. (one that up until now, has never been done before)?!

English Translation w/ Localization

Here is comes mother******s! The sequel to Tales of Symphpnia is here! And it's headed to the Nintendo mother******* Wii, bitches!

Alas, the day when ye can play the Tales of games on the Wii has cometh.
Will there be game-ruining waggle controls? Or shall there be it game-enchancing waggle controls? For this, ye must wait until next month, for we hadth run out of space for the article.

Man, Tales of rebirth is my favourite Tales game (tied with Abyss). To play it on portable is freaking awesome. I can't wait. Best battle system in the series. Hopefully it's ported well, and runs just as well as it does on PS2.

Hmmm, Alpha system have done a great job with the Narikiri Dungeon games and Radiant Mythology... ToI is in good hands, I reckon -- would be nice to seem tham work on a real Tales game for a change. Though I'd still have preferred Tales Stuido, but oh well.

Sagitario

I wish I had waited to import at least ToR [playing it on a region free PSP next to my PC where I'd be able to read import FAQs while playing >>>>>>>> not playing it at all on a PS2 incapable of playing imports away from the PC room]...

ToDrDC... well, it doesn't bother me that much since the updates are mostly story related and the language is definitely a big barrier...

kiryogi said:
For the final time, Symphonia wii is NOT SYMPHONIA 2.

I missed this... Do you say it because there is not a 2 in the title but a subtitle instead? I mean, it takes place 2 years after the original ToS and all main Symphonia characters will appear [as you said it]...

Farore said:
I missed this... Do you say it because there is not a 2 in the title but a subtitle instead? I mean, it takes place 2 years after the original ToS and all main Symphonia characters will appear [as you said it]...
We still don't know if it's the real thing, because details are thin. For now, it definitely doesn't seem like ToS2 to me.

SantaC

OMG ToS 2 GAME FOR Wii! This is the biggest news ever for me beating the zeldas, marios, metroids and final fantasies, YEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

rakka

SantaC said:
OMG ToS 2 GAME FOR Wii! This is the biggest news ever for me beating the zeldas, marios, metroids and final fantasies, YEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

congrats :lol

(neutral) SantaC
I want SOA2, bitches!
NOW.

khan

Tales of Innocence seems to be using the same engine as used in TOT, may be updated. man that game stunk in every department.

Here's hopig this one turns out well.

SantaC

DarknessTear said:
The problem is if the Symphonia team is working on ToS2 the game will probably have the same system which is a total downgrade compared to Abyss. After playing Abyss I can't even enjoy Symphonia anymore because Abyss eclipses it in every aspect. I really want the ToS/TotA team to make something else.

wtf? Abyss is a great game but it had its share of problems. poor graphics and slowdown on worldmap, horrible loadingtimes and the special attacks were lacking compared to ToS. Sure Abyss is overall a better game, but you're kidding if you think ToA eclipses ToS in every way.

SantaC said:
wtf? Abyss was a great game but it had its share of problems. poor graphics on worldmap, horrible loadingtimes and the special attacks were lacking compared to ToS. Sure Abyss is overall a better game, but you're kidding if you think ToA eclipses ToS in every way.
Yeah, Symphonia had its advantages, especially in the replay value dept. But Abyss was still vastly superior. If it was on GC, issues like load times, world map would evaporate. It was a bit limited by the system it was on.

khan said:
Tales of Innocence seems to be using the same engine as used in TOT, may be updated. man that game stunk in every department.

Here's hopig this one turns out well.

Tempest was 3 on 3 LMBS, this is Dimension Stride LMBS.

SantaC

Magicpaint said:
Yeah, Symphonia had its advantages, especially in the replay value dept. But Abyss was still vastly superior. If it was on GC, issues like load times, world map would evaporate. It was a bit limited by the system it was on.

Yes Abyss is superior, but not in every way. One could argue against the OST also. The music is maybe a bit more memorable on ToS.

SantaC said:
Yes Abyss is superior, but not in every way. One could argue against the OST also. The music is maybe a bit more memorable on ToS.
Really? I thought ToS had a REALLY bland soundtrack. TotA had some great tunes on the other hand.

But Legendia pisses on both, neither have a soundtrack worth caring about. :p

CaVaYeRo said:
sory, whats LMB?

thx.

Linear Motion Battles.

SantaC

Magicpaint said:
Really? I thought ToS had a REALLY bland soundtrack. TotA had some great tunes on the other hand.

Well it's all subjective opinion I guess

Magicpaint said:

Sadly the worst game have the best music yes :/

CaVaYeRo

Magicpaint said:

Linear Motion Battles.

thanks!

The Wii game looks very bland, bad capture perhaps?

I don't like how they're reusing Abyss models in Innocence, but it looks a definite step up from tempest visually. Which is great because I thought Tempest looked nice.

Rebirth PSP. :D

Dascu

Graphically, the Wii game doesn't look that great. But, at least we've got confirmation it won't be a first-person slashing spin-off or anything.

SantaC

legend166 said:
Oh hey the PSP game looks better than the Wii game fancy that.

lol no it doesn't...

Graphically, the Wii game doesn't look that great. But, at least we've got confirmation it won't be a first-person slashing spin-off or anything.

looks to be Abyss quality and that is fine with me as long as the game is good

rakka

Graphically the Wii version is quite disappointing. (I'd say at about GC launch levels -- maybe not even that)

It's like the DS version (which looks great for the system) but at higher resolutions.

Still better than the static-bg PSP one however.

IceIpor

legend166 said:

I only hope that he meant that the main focus will be on the DS Tales for now, and it isn't an indicator of the treatment the TOS sequel will get because of it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
is it just me or the innoncent looks better than ToS:KoR...at least at those screens :eek:

Link1110

khan said:
ToT wasn't all bad. Add sound effects when you hit an enemy, and make the menus more standard Tales-like, and don't have any Tilkis style trannys (Why did that girl just get the onii-san title? That can't be a guy.) and it should be fine.

Durante

king zell said:
Wow, that's a really really damning shot. I hope it's just a really bad scene. The round shadows and completely indistinct textures make it look like a higher resolution N64 game.
Yes, I know the Wii is capable of more, it's a platform nearly twice as fast as the one that ran Rogue Leader.

I'm playing Tales of the World on PSP right now and it sure doesn't look worse than this shot.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Meh. Another high volume, low quality Tales announcement. I would love to see a full blown PS3/360 Tales game sometime in the future...

Man, Tales of rebirth is my favourite Tales game (tied with Abyss). To play it on portable is freaking awesome. I can't wait. Best battle system in the series. Hopefully it's ported well, and runs just as well as it does on PS2.
TOD2 (also a PS2 game) ran perfectly on PSP and looked fantastic. Rebirth should be no different.

Link1110 said:
ToT wasn't all bad. Add sound effects when you hit an enemy, and make the menus more standard Tales-like, and don't have any Tilkis style trannys (Why did that girl just get the onii-san title? That can't be a guy.) and it should be fine.

Tilkis just joins people like Jay, Zelos, Mao, Ion and the rest. Every Tales game demands a male character that looks positively feminine. :p

But I agree with you, TotT was decent! It's the worst in the series, but it's not all that bad. It's playable! And like you said, those additions, along with a good grade system and a lengthier quest would have made it an adequate entry.

dark10x said:
I would love to see a full blown PS3/360 Tales game sometime in the future...

So would I actually, even if it's a one-off like Symphonia GC was.

dark10x said:
TOD2 (also a PS2 game) ran perfectly on PSP and looked fantastic. Rebirth should be no different.

ToR is far more chaotic though, and looks a lot better than ToD2. The three-line system and tons of enemies make the battles by far the most chaotic in the series. The PS2 version had some slowdown in the latter parts of the game, I just hope it's ported well. They've been great thus far with Eternia, Phantasia FVE and Destiny 2 though, so I'm optimistic.

ToR PSP is actually the one I'm most excited about for now.

IceIpor

Are those enemies for the TOS new? Hopefully it's being developed by an experienced Tales team that isn't just reusing old assets.

I really want confirmation on the developing studio/team...

(I don't want to call the new game TOS2 without confirmation... but I don't want to call it TOS:KOR either... hmm.)

rakka

Soul4ger said:
The guy from IGN is probably just upset that ToS Wii has circle shadows.

It's not just the spot shadows:
e.g

star fox adventures, 60fps on gamecube (only a year after launch)
starfoxadfin_092202_35.jpg

starfoxad_091302_3.jpg

tos2 on wii
h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

SFA an early gamecube game has better lighting, textures, models, proper shadows, nearly everything is superior visually.

I have no idea what the devs are doing on the wii.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Look at the environment, it's done in a more realistic style. I doubt they're gonna have the characters celshaded and the environments realistic!
I wouldn't say "Realistic", more like something closer to the Abyss style.

I'll still buy this but that picture is hi-larious. Even the DS shot looks better.

Top Bottom