• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Tales of games ( Wii , DS , PSP , PS2 ) scan

Cygnus X-1

dark10x said:
Rare is a pretty talented developer when it comes to technology implementation. At this time, I'd say that SFA is technically superior to every single game currently available on Nintendo Wii.

I still can't believe Namco released such a terrible shot for the new Wii game, though. I'm sure the game will look much better, but it certainly gives a bad first impression.

Mmmmmmmm. It is easy to output great graphics when the framerate is really BAD. F-zero is more impressive because of its speed. Twilight Princess because of both graphics and framerate. RE4 too. Starfox has some nice effects, but only that.

dark10x said:
Not surprised, really. I'll probably just ignore the DS installments. I wouldn't mind playing the Wii game, really, but I'll be stuck with the US release thanks to the lack of region free gaming on the Wii.

I'm just teasing you; I know I'd be more interested in a DS Tales game that was 2D anyway. (3D on the DS, even when impressive is nowhere as nice as DS 2D.)

One thing I really don't understand is the lack of cel-shading for the Wii game. Even if it's a "port up" of the Abyss engine, how hard can it be to reinstate the shading? It really made Symphonia look far superior (in my opinion).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well, IGN calls ToS a "direct sequel". No mention of the developer though... *cue ominous music"

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/806/806799p1.html

"Then you'll want to check out Tales of Symphonia: Ratatoskr no Kishi. A direct sequel to Symphonia, this Wii-only title takes place in the same world, but two years later. A Japanese release is set for Spring 2008."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cygnus X-1 said:
Mmmmmmmm. It is easy to output great graphics when the framerate is really BAD. F-zero is more impressive because of its speed. Twilight Princess because of both graphics and framerate. RE4 too. Starfox has some nice effects, but only that.
What?! Bad framerate? Starfox Adventures runs at 60 fps and supports 16:9. F-Zero GX also runs at 60, but TP and RE4 both run at 30 fps in 4:3.

SantaC

schuelma said:
Well, IGN calls ToS a "direct sequel". No mention of the developer though... *cue ominous music"

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/806/806799p1.html

"Then you'll want to check out Tales of Symphonia: Ratatoskr no Kishi. A direct sequel to Symphonia, this Wii-only title takes place in the same world, but two years later. A Japanese release is set for Spring 2008."

It seems that Tales of Symphonia: Ratatoskr no Kish is like Baten Kaitos. Same places just altered a bit. That's fine for me since I love the BK games.

dark10x, it would surprise me if you're not interested in Tales of Symphonia: Ratatoskr no Kishi because of the visuals since you said Abyss in your favorite Tales game and it sure looks horrible. (for 2005 playstation2 visuals)

king zell said:
DS

h-103_75629_300.jpg.jpg

Wii

h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

PSP

h-103_75629_5001.jpg.jpg

So, Matt was right at the end: ToS2 looks like crap. Ocarina of Time looks much better then this.

Cygnus X-1

dark10x said:
What?! Bad framerate? Starfox Adventures runs at 60 fps and supports 16:9. F-Zero GX also runs at 60, but TP and RE4 both run at 30 fps in 4:3.

Well, then it's the PAL version, because when I switched the game to 16:9 a lot of slowing down came out. it was just horrible. I coulnd't turn a little fast without seeing the game slowing down.

dark10x

dark10x, it would surprise me if you're not interested in Tales of Symphonia: Ratatoskr no Kishi because of the visuals since you said Abyss in your favorite Tales game and it sure looks horrible.
I already stated that I was interested in the game and I do believe it will look fine by release. I have no interest in the DS games.

The only disappointing aspect of ToS2 is the fact that Wii is not region free and I do not own a Japanese Wii. This would force me to play the gimped US version (the only US Tales release I've played to date is the original Symphonia, however, so I suppose it would make sense).

Well, then it's the PAL version, because when I switched the game to 16:9 a lot of slowing down came out. it was just horrible. I coulnd't turn a little fast without seeing the game slowing down.
Clearly an issue with the PAL version. The game is very smooth in NTSC (minor frame drops here and there, but overall very solid). The cutscenes use an odd framerate (intentionally), but the gameplay is 60 fps at almost all times. Twilight Princess slows down more often AND maxes out at 30 fps (it also looks significantly worse).

SantaC

dark10x said:
I already stated that I was interested in the game and I do believe it will look fine by release. I have no interest in the DS games.

Well I dont have any interest in the DS games either :p

Comon now. Abyss US port was awesome except for non-voiced skits...

dark10x

SantaC said:
Well I dont have any interest in the DS games either :p

Comon now. Abyss US port was awesome except for non-voiced skits...
I wouldn't know, as I've never heard it, but previous efforts seemed questionable. The Japanese VA is typically very good. I certainly wouldn't skip the game for this reason, of course. If I am stuck with the US verison, so be it.

SantaC

dark10x said:
I wouldn't know, as I've never heard it, but previous efforts seemed questionable. The Japanese VA is typically very good. I certainly wouldn't skip the game for this reason, of course. If I am stuck with the US verison, so be it.

Well you have checked around right, and people has said that the voice acting for Abyss is top notch which I agree with.

john tv

I agree the Wii screenshot was a poor choice but don't send it off to die just yet -- that enemy (or enemy type, at least) looks like that in Abyss as well. Very blocky and jagged and polygonal, whereas other enemies (like the one posted above) look very nice.

dark10x -- the US Tales games have had solid voice acting (Abyss especially was very good IMO), but of course they can't compare to the Japanese voices. Different market, different talent, different budgets... It's way easier to do a high quality performance like that in Japan, unfortunately.

TOA JP has one of the best voice performances of any game I've ever played. The cast they put together for that one was phenomenal.

SantaC

john tv said:
TOA JP has one of the best voice performances of any game I've ever played. The cast they put together for that one was phenomenal.

yeah good thing that ToA US actually sounds very good as well.

John Ricardi, Do you know any more info about ToS:RnK? Someone at IGN mentioned that we will be disappointed, does he talk about the developer, graphics or something else you think?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I really really want the new Symphonia game to be good.

But without a word from who the developer is, I can't be totally excited yet.

What the heck is Team Symphonia doing right now?

SantaC

ZealousD said:
I really really want the new Symphonia game to be good.

But without a word from who the developer is, I can't be totally excited yet.

What the heck is Team Symphonia doing right now?

that's what I am thinking too. The disappointment is probably the team behind this game. ToT team? UGH :(

Durante

john tv said:
Regarding that, it should be mentioned that there is an undubbing patch for the US version somewhere on the internets. I have no idea how legal that is, so I won't link it, but I know that it increased my enjoyment of the game at least fivefold. I have to disagree with anyone saying the US VA is anything more than mediocre.

I guess it's time for me to again reiterate that next-gen US JRPG localizations should be required to have dual audio. If NISA can do it for their low-budget stuff then anyone can.

SantaC

Durante said:
Regarding that, it should be mentioned that there is an undubbing patch for the US version somewhere on the internets. I have no idea how legal that is, so I won't link it, but I know that it increased my enjoyment of the game at least fivefold. I have to disagree with anyone saying the US VA is anything more than mediocre.

I guess it's time for me to again reiterate that next-gen US JRPG localizations should be required to have dual audio. If NISA can do it for their low-budget stuff then anyone can.

um yeah but does that come with english subtitles as well? As much as I want Japanese Audio, I want to know the story also...

john tv

SantaC -- I know nothing, sorry. Hope it's good tho!

According to Famitsu, in Symphonia Wii, you'll be able to capture monsters and them have them fight in your party. Weird.

Also, Tales of Innocence's battle system is called "Dimension Slide LMBS" and is a mix of Abyss's Flex Range LMBS and Destiny Remake's Aerial LMBS.

Anyway, Alfa System is good so I have hope for Innocence. They're putting up the first promo movie on July 23, so we'll have a better idea soon!

radcliff

john tv said:
I agree the Wii screenshot was a poor choice but don't send it off to die just yet -- that enemy (or enemy type, at least) looks like that in Abyss as well. Very blocky and jagged and polygonal, whereas other enemies (like the one posted above) look very nice.

Wait, what screens are you talking about? I'm under the impression the top 2 screens are from the DS game and that the only screen from TOS Wii is the town in the bottom left (next to TOD). There are no enemies in the Wii screen.

john tv

radcliff said:
Wait, what screens are you talking about? I'm under the impression the top 2 screens are from the DS game and that the only screen from TOS Wii is the town in the bottom left (next to TOD). There are no enemies in the Wii screen.
Nah, this is the Wii game:

h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

zurra

john tv said:
Also, Tales of Innocence's battle system is called "Dimension Slide LMBS" and is a mix of Abyss's Flex Range LMBS and Destiny Remake's Aerial LMBS.
omgomgomg whatdog.gif

Dies Iræ

I swear some third party efforts look two generations behind what Nintendo's managed to accomplish with Wii graphically.

Fix it or no buy.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
really excited about this. ToS has always been the only JRPG that i could ever really get into, so i'm excited for the sequil. the initial shot doesnt look so hot though. all i can say is i really really really hope the final product is cel shaded. if theyr gonna make a graphically sub-par game, at least port the original ToS engine.

on another note, i hope they make the in game cutscenes less clunky, because the original's cutscenes were terrible and awkward. that was my biggest complaint on the whole series.

jarrod

Banned
Link1110 said:
It may still be main series. Tales of Destiny 2 is main series and a direct sequel.
Sure, but this isn't exactly "Tales of Symphonia 2" either... I wouldn't be surprised either way honestly, hell if Alfa System's behind it it may just be a dungeon crawl.

jarrod

Banned
I just guessed Alfa System due to the visual similarity to Radiant Mythology... could easily be another team though.

SantaC

No buy if it is a dungeon crawler. I mean comon, I hope the game aims higher than that. I doubt Namco plans to bring this to the west if it is just a dungeon crawler

Johntv said:
SantaC -- I know nothing, sorry. Hope it's good tho!

According to Famitsu, in Symphonia Wii, you'll be able to capture monsters and them have them fight in your party. Weird.

I'd say that is very interesting. Pokemon-esque even :p

SantaC

john tv said:
The other TOS Wii screen looks a lot better IMO (even if it is tiny):

toswii.jpg

Looks like Palma costa from ToS1. Atleast there will be towns.

This game has so much potential if Namco plays their cards right. I love the way Baten Kaitos continued the story from game to game. It seems that ToS is taking the same approach (I hope) and I'd love to see the results from it. Revisiting areas worked for BKO.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tales by Degrees :lol

Oh ethelred, you slay me.

I find it hard to believe they would even keep that team whole.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Aokage said:
At today's Tales press conference, the series producer announced that the Nintendo DS will be the lead platform for the Tales series going forward.

Why? Because the Tales series means:

- "A drama containing deep themes"
- "Sounds and visuals that showcase anime FMV, theme songs and voice"
- "The unique Linear Motion Battle System"

...and the DS is "more than capable of this Tales-ness" :lol

This could be summed up so much easier with "the DS sold a lot lol".

But seriously, Tales of the Tempest only sold ~100,000 on DS. What makes them think a new one will do any differently (and yes, I know ToT was crap?)

Edit: Link of justice (http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/gemaga1985/13655183.html)

Hell yeah, the DS continues to be the best console ever.

Bebpo

Banned
h-103_75629_5002.jpg.jpg

This shot would be fine if it wasn't for the awful jaggies on the sword and on the monster. It basically looks like Abyss but jaggier.

Hcoregamer00

Kuran said:
They need to STOP making Tales games for a long while!!!

This is just stupid. By churning them out at this great speed it just lowers my expectations on each game..

Yes because a two year timeframe between Abyss and Symphonia is SUCH a long time. This new symphonia game will be at least 2 years after abyss.

Oh please, stop the milking!!! :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes because a two year timeframe between Abyss and Symphonia is SUCH a long time. This new symphonia game will be at least 2 years after abyss.

You forgot Rebirth which was between Symphonia/Abyss and Destiny remake, which was between Abyss and this. There's still pretty close to a yearly console "main" one :p

Hcoregamer00

SantaC said:
Yes Abyss is superior, but not in every way. One could argue against the OST also. The music is maybe a bit more memorable on ToS.

I disagree, the Soundtrack in Abyss was more memorable.

The music is Grand Chokmah, Baticul, and the song "meaning of birth" brings a tear to my eye to this day. The only song I really liked was the town theme of Meltokio from ToS.

Bebpo said:
You forgot Rebirth which was between Symphonia/Abyss and Destiny remake, which was between Abyss and this. There's still pretty close to a yearly console "main" one :p

I consider the "main" tales games the stuff made be Tales Studio. The PSP games don't count because I don't see a USA release.

Cygnus X-1

SantaC said:
Looks like Palma costa from ToS1. Atleast there will be towns.

This game has so much potential if Namco plays their cards right. I love the way Baten Kaitos continued the story from game to game. It seems that ToS is taking the same approach (I hope) and I'd love to see the results from it. Revisiting areas worked for BKO.

Yeah, but don't forget that Baten Kaitos was developed by Monolith Soft (music by Tri-Crescendo).

Still no word on the developer? Well I've pretty much written TOS2 off now :(

Team Symphonia or I'm not paying any more interest in this game, crappy sub TOTA level graphics (I mean for ****'s sake you have the TOS engine that can run natively on the Wii and that didn't even push the GCN!) and bad art are not a good sign at all!

Bebpo

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I consider the "main" tales games the stuff made be Tales Studio. The PSP games don't count because I don't see a USA release.

Those are main games made by Tales Studio and they are PS2, not PSP games. But I guess you don't count them because they aren't in English.

Hcoregamer00

Nuclear Muffin said:
Still no word on the developer? Well I've pretty much written TOS2 off now :(

Team Symphonia or I'm not paying any more interest in this game, crappy sub TOTA level graphics (I mean for ****'s sake you have the TOS engine that can run natively on the Wii and that didn't even push the GCN!) and bad art are not a good sign at all!

Stop with this, the team that did Symphonia was the Tales Studio.

There is NO SUCH THING as Team Symphonia.

SantaC

Hcoregamer00 said:

exactly, ToS and ToA are the high profile Tales games while the other new ones are mostly fillers. Abyss came out in 2005, so that's 3 years until next one. Not milking at all.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Stop with this, the team that did Symphonia was the Tales Studio.

There is NO SUCH THING as Team Symphonia.
Ugh. THERE ARE TWO MAIN TEAMS IN THE STUDIO! Geez, I told you this in the first page.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm surprised people aren't lambasting Namco like they do to Square any time a Final Fantasy outside the main series is announced:p

I'll pick up all but Symphonia 2 probably myself. Although "Dimension Slide" LMBS probably means it'll be a 2-D battle system with just multiple lines.

Hcoregamer00

SantaC said:
exactly, ToS and ToA are the high profile Tales games while the other new ones are mostly fillers. Abyss came out in 2005, so that's 3 years until next one. Not milking at all.

Exactly, they are the only high profile ones and if you got those two games along with the other "main games" like Phantasia, Destiny, Destiny 2 (and probably some other games I am missing at the moment) you come to the conclusion that they are not mikling the series. Especially to Final Fantasy levels.

Top Bottom