• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Graces f English Screenshots

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good review, kayos... just one question: did you rewrite bits of it?

Plot: Abyss
Theme: Vesperia
Characters: Vesperia
I like Abyss's theme over Vesperia's theme, tbh. Vesperia still probably has one of the better plots outside of it falling off the path in the latter bit of the game. I have a rather soft spot for Symphonia, though. I'm not sure where to place that one without having some sort of bias attached to it, so I generally don't try to rank it.

Rebirth probably has the worst plot.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Good review, kayos... just one question: did you rewrite bits of it?

I like Abyss's theme over Vesperia's theme, tbh. Vesperia still probably has one of the better plots outside of it falling off the path in the latter bit of the game. I have a rather soft spot for Symphonia, though. I'm not sure where to place that one without having some sort of bias attached to it, so I generally don't try to rank it.

Rebirth probably has the worst plot.

I revamped the entirety of the gameplay section. I read it like 2 times and said, "I wrote this a few months ago and it reads like ass. What the hell?" So I changed it.

To me the theme in Vesperia and Abyss were neck and neck. I really like them both but in the end, the idea of Justice resontes with me better than meaning of birth. I like Symphonia for nostalgic purposes, just like FFVII.

EDIT: This was the Original Review: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/604158-tales-of-graces-f/reviews/review-149396

This was the revised reivew. I like the revised much better. : http://kayos90.blogspot.com/2012/03/tales-of-grace-f-import-review.html

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I revamped the entirety of the gameplay section. I read it like 2 times and said, "I wrote this a few months ago and it reads like ass. What the hell?" So I changed it.

To me the theme in Vesperia and Abyss were neck and neck. I really like them both but in the end, the idea of Justice resontes with me better than meaning of birth. I like Symphonia for nostalgic purposes, just like FFVII.
lol, yeah, that was the bit I noticed was a little different from the rest of the body. Edit: The revamped version is better than the crammed combat section of the original.

Abyss's theme probably resonated more with me than Vesperia's did, as much as I like Vesperia's theme. I guess it's a philosophical thing, and I ended up enjoying it a lot, lol. But on the other hand, there is a lot in Abyss that I dislike in terms of character interaction/characterization, what its LMBS version introduced, pacing, backtracking, etc.

Because of my bias towards Symphonia, I'm unlikely to say that I dislike it. It has its issues, and it has some bits I don't like, but I love the game overall.

kayos90

lol, yeah, that was the bit I noticed was a little different from the rest of the body. Edit: The revamped version is better than the crammed combat section of the original.

Abyss's theme probably resonated more with me than Vesperia's did, as much as I like Vesperia's theme. I guess it's a philosophical thing, and I ended up enjoying it a lot, lol. But on the other hand, there is a lot in Abyss that I dislike in terms of character interaction/characterization, what its LMBS version introduced, pacing, backtracking, etc.

Because of my bias towards Symphonia, I'm unlikely to say that I dislike it. It has its issues, and it has some bits I don't like, but I love the game overall.

The games I like overall as a package goes from:

Graces, Vesperia, Symphonia, Xillia, Abyss, Hearts.

Actually, this list is inconsistent with my other posts. Aw hell with it. Rofl. Regardless, I like all of the Tales game that I've played.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The games I like overall as a package goes from:

Graces, Vesperia, Symphonia, Xillia, Abyss, Hearts.

Actually, this list is inconsistent with my other posts. Aw hell with it. Rofl. Regardless, I like all of the Tales game that I've played.
I wish I could say the same. :(

At least I got VS and Tempest at discount pricing... Can't say the same about Phantasia GBA, though. *sigh*

I'm not sure what my ranking for overall package would be. For Tales games, it's either:
- I really like the battle system and don't care much for the narrative
- I care a lot about the narrative but the battle system isn't as good as other systems in the series

That's why I like to separate them into categories, much like I do with FF games, Sonic, or Zelda.

kayos90

I wish I could say the same. :(

At least I got VS and Tempest at discount pricing... Can't say the same about Phantasia GBA, though. *sigh*

I'm not sure what my ranking for overall package would be. For Tales games, it's either:
- I really like the battle system and don't care much for the narrative
- I care a lot about the narrative but the battle system isn't as good as other systems in the series

That's why I like to separate them into categories, much like I do with FF games, Sonic, or Zelda.

Actually now that I think about it, I take back my statement. Phantasia GBA was bad and so was VS. Rofl. Forgot about those.

TEJ

Actually now that I think about it, I take back my statement. Phantasia GBA was bad and so was VS. Rofl. Forgot about those.

I enjoyed ToP GBA.....probably because it was the only genuine english release it got. I haven't played the ps1/snes/psp versions because they never got brought over and I don't understand a lick of Japanese outside of "kawaii baka desu" stuff.

kayos90

I enjoyed ToP GBA.....probably because it was the only genuine english release it got. I haven't played the ps1/snes/psp versions because they never got brought over and I don't understand a lick of Japanese outside of "kawaii baka desu" stuff.

Phantasia GBA is the reason I checked out Symphonia. Thank gosh that I was a kid and believed that Symphonia is better. Rofl, so much more cynical now.

TEJ

Phantasia GBA is the reason I checked out Symphonia. Thank gosh that I was a kid and believed that Symphonia is better. Rofl, so much more cynical now.

I don't know if I would like ToP's battle system that much if it got a faithful port in English. I feel that action rpg battle systems improve dramatically each gen and that's why I am so hyped for tales of graces.

kayos90

I love Namco Bandai!

Sarcasm, right? Cuz all Schala and I do on the |OT| google doc is complain about NB. rofl.

I don't know if I would like ToP's battle system that much if it got a faithful port in English. I feel that action rpg battle systems improve dramatically each gen and that's why I am so hyped for tales of graces.

Well, the jump from SNES gen to PS1 gen to PS2 gen was pretty big. Not sure about this gen. Though, AC was one of the first games to put so much AI and people on the screen.

TEJ

Sarcasm, right? Cuz all Schala and I do on the |OT| google doc is complain about NB. rofl.

Well, the jump from SNES gen to PS1 gen to PS2 gen was pretty big. Not sure about this gen. Though, AC was one of the first games to put so much AI and people on the screen.

well, if you're going to talk about assassins creed i just have to mention that the leap from ps1 action game combat systems to devil may cry was large, and the leap from dmc1 to bayonetta was fairly large.

i liked how in bayonetta you were just so agile. I liked how in ninja gaiden on the xbox I felt that I was very agile. the reason why I want this game so much is that based on the videos your character is agile.

kayos90

well, if you're going to talk about assassins creed i just have to mention that the leap from ps1 action game combat systems to devil may cry was large, and the leap from dmc1 to bayonetta was fairly large.

i liked how in bayonetta you were just so agile. I liked how in ninja gaiden on the xbox I felt that I was very agile. the reason why I want this game so much is that based on the videos your character is agile.

I wouldn't say agile moreso the pace is just so much different compared to Abyss and Vesperia.

TEJ

I wouldn't say agile moreso the pace is just so much different compared to Abyss and Vesperia.

i guess i'll see in a week from now. I plan on trying to play this game twice before april when heroes of ruin, xenoblade, and the witcher 2 xbox 360. I also want mass effect 3 but that will wait.

It just so feels so odd. In a few month period including kingdoms of amalur at the very least 5 quality console rpgs will have been released. This hasn't happened since the ps2/xbox/gamecube gen.

kayos90

i guess i'll see in a week from now. I plan on trying to play this game twice before april when heroes of ruin, xenoblade, and the witcher 2 xbox 360. I also want mass effect 3 but that will wait.

It just so feels so odd. In a few month period including kingdoms of amalur at the very least 5 quality console rpgs will have been released. This hasn't happened since the ps2/xbox/gamecube gen.

I want to play Xeno and Witcher 2. I'll be playing ME3 next week. So busy next week though.... ugh.

Sarcasm, right? Cuz all Schala and I do on the |OT| google doc is complain about NB. rofl

Lol, I remember before Abyss and Graces F were announced for America, I made a promise that, if Namco released two Tales games here, that I would like them.

So now I like Namco Bandai. lol. (though it helps I've recently gotten into Ridge Racer and Pac Man CE DX...)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I'm currently trudging my way through ff13.

I know plot and characters arent that good here, but they can't be worse than ff13... Right?

The premise and concept of FFXIII's mythology is pretty good in my opinion, the execution of the story wasn't good thus can be seen as a bad and convoluted story.

As far as I know, Graces' story is generic but it isn't stupid or convoluted. The Game Informer reviewer enjoyed the story though.

So I'm currently trudging my way through ff13.

I know plot and characters arent that good here, but they can't be worse than ff13... Right?

Every aspect in a Final Fantasy game is bound to be better than a Tales game, no matter how much I love the series.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. Finally gonna play the first console Tales game in a while since Vesperia. I just wish Xillia would come here...

RPGCrazied

Nice review Kayos. Text boxes don't bother me. Since I started playing jRPG's on the SNES, I'm use to them. Does the game not have many cutscenes? I don't mind if the story is ho hum, I've loved every single Tales of story. Hell, Tales of Legendia and Vesperia are my favorite Tales game. :)

TEJ

Nice review Kayos. Text boxes don't bother me. Since I started playing jRPG's on the SNES, I'm use to them. Does the game not have many cutscenes? I don't mind if the story is ho hum, I've loved every single Tales of story. Hell, Tales of Legendia and Vesperia are my favorite Tales game. :)

I don't know about him, but I don't equate more story with being better stories. Sometimes minimalism can be a fantastic way to tell a story.

However, i'd take more Yuri Lowell quality characters. He's easily my favorite jrpg lead. I wouldn't say that the way they wrote him was flawless but it's leagues better than the "edge mavericks" of the genre.

I don't know about him, but I don't equate more story with being better stories. Sometimes minimalism can be a fantastic way to tell a story.

However, i'd take more Yuri Lowell quality characters. He's easily my favorite jrpg lead. I wouldn't say that the way they wrote him was flawless but it's leagues better than the "edge mavericks" of the genre.

There really is no excuse for Edge Maverick-types after the debut of Yuri, especially in his home series.

Zabuza

Banned

Yeah, it's sarcasm. But I do appreciate that they're bringing this to the West.

kayos90

Asbel is no Yuri. In fact I dislike Asbel for most of the game. It isn't until the last major cutscene that I like him.

The game has quite a bit of cutscenes.

There really is no excuse for Edge Maverick-types after the debut of Yuri, especially in his home series.

Rofl, that sucks cuz Jude in Xillia might as well be Edge.

Ties

Banned
So I was surfing through Gamestop's website earlier this morning and apparently Graces if the fifth best seller for the PS3 right now.

Maybe it won't bomb after all? :O

kayos90

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Total buzz kill for ToX, then.

It's really funny cuz Jude's storyline is better than Milla's.

So I was surfing through Gamestop's website earlier this morning and apparently Graces if the fifth best seller for the PS3 right now.

Gosh I hope it doesn't.

On another note: I made the import review official, rofl. It's on N4G and TGV by the way.

http://n4g.com/news/953679/import-review-tales-of-graces-f

The blog review is on the top of this page.

Beats

Gamestop Canada (EB Games) has it listed first for PS3 best seller, and number three for most anticipated behind Xenoblade and Mass Effect 3 (360 Version). I hope it doesn't bomb. :|

Zabuza

Banned
Gamestop Canada (EB Games) has it listed first for PS3 best seller, and number three for most anticipated behind Xenoblade and Mass Effect 3 (360 Version). I hope it doesn't bomb. :|
Sold out day one!!
Wave of reprints follow?
Namco announces localization of Xillia!

kayos90

Not surprised about Xeno being on there. Surprised that ME3 isn't first.

Sold out day one!!
Wave of reprints follow?
Namco announces localization of Xillia!

Gosh you're hopeful. Rofl.

kayos90

Most Western reviewer-journalist types have no business reviewing JRPGs.
From what I can tell, in many cases, they just simply don't understand them, the nuances and difference of culture and difference of story & gameplay styles.

For better on point reviews of JRPGs, you should visit SPECIALIZED sites like RPG GAMER or RPG FAN.

No offence to them, but I get the impression that 'thegamingvault' just isn't really up to the specialized task here......not really.

Most discouraging comment I got on my review. Ever. He makes it sound like I've never reviewed JRPGs and I don't like the genre. So sad. Also really funny that he mentions the RPGFan review. That one barely talks about the combat and gameplay.... So Sad...

Source: http://n4g.com/news/953679/import-review-tales-of-graces-f/com

Asbel is no Yuri. In fact I dislike Asbel for most of the game. It isn't until the last major cutscene that I like him.

Rofl, that sucks cuz Jude in Xillia might as well be Edge.

What's wrong with wanting to MAMORU everything!

I never really got the hate for Jude. Is it something he does in Xillia that would require me to actually play it to understand?

Top Bottom