• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tengai Makyou ZIRIA (Far East Eden) Xbox 360 images

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whoa, are we sure that's 360? That doesn't impress. At least it won't have hours of loading to deal with...

Hopefully the music will be as good as Tengai III, though.

873_0009.jpg

News_Tengai_Makyou_III_Namida_010.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think it has an interesting look - somewhat reminiscent of cartoon characters drawn against live action backdrops

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Er, I'd say this definitely looks like generational jump over Hudson's last Tengai remake on PS2/GC...
Yikes, that's ugly.

It does not really look much better than Tengai III. Of course, it hardly matters in that case since you spend so many hours waiting for the thing to load.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
jarrod said:
Er, I'd say this definitely looks like generational jump over Hudson's last Tengai remake on PS2/GC...

ss-004.jpg
ss-002.jpg
ss-003.jpg

At least the characters have blob shadows and thus don't look like they're floating :p

Zer0

Banned
the game looks horrid for a next gen tittle,cmon i have seen better cell shading on ps2

thats why i like occidental developers to work on 360

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
It does not really look much better than Tengai III. Of course, it hardly matters in that case since you spend so many hours waiting for the thing to load.
Yeah, it does actually look rather close to Tengai 3 PS2...

far-east-of-eden-iii-namida-20040928044447042.jpg
far-east-of-eden-iii-namida-20040928044442948.jpg
far-east-of-eden-iii-namida-20040928044444182.jpg

... I bet 2 months ago, this probably was a PS2 project. Guess we'll have to wait for Tengai 4 on 360/PS3 for the "real" next generation Tengai Makyo. :)

vireland

.. I bet 2 months ago, this probably was a PS2 project. Guess we'll have to wait for Tengai 4 on 360/PS3 for the "real" next generation Tengai Makyo.

Considering that Tengai III:Namida took like 12 years to follow up Tengai II:Manjimaru, you might be waiting a LONG time. Yes, there were gaidens and fighting games and whatnot in-between, but aside from 4th Apocalypse on Saturn, none of those were very good.

Tengai is all about the story. The graphics were only cutting-edge/mind blowing on Tengai II in the early nineties when it was the first mega-game to have a budget of like 5 million dollars. All that money was worth it when the first huge animation happened and the flower monster broke out from beneath the parade procession. There's a lack of direction with all these ports and new releases spread over all the platforms with none of them getting the whole series (I don't care about Fuun Kabuki Den, so no loss there). I wouldn't have any hesitation about doing these. Graphics aside, you'd have a good time with them if we did them, but the translation would have to be done just right because there's a TON of goofy and Japanese-specific humor in most of them.

Mrbob

Rogue Galaxy looks better. This is pathetic. Yeah, it is not all about the graphics but when you have a next gen system at least have it look better than PS2 games, mmmkay.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
kaching:
I think it has an interesting look - somewhat reminiscent of cartoon characters drawn against live action backdrops
873_0007.jpg

The image brings back the memory of several old Ultra64 conceptual mock-up photos with the cartoonish Mario Bros. cast standing in front of real backdrops, presented to illustrate the possibilities of N64's SGI graphics.

PC Gaijin

dark10x said:

So did you finally pick up Tengai Makyou III? If you've got it please post some impressions. :D

jarrod said:
Yeah, it does actually look rather close to Tengai 3 PS2...

Yeah, when the first screens from the trailer showed up here I thought it looked very much like a higher-res version of the PS2 engine.

And what's with calling Hudson some small developer? That's like Doom Bringer the other day not knowing who Taito is :lol Reading some of the responses to this thread have reminded me why I mostly just scan this board for news headlines.

vireland

Tengai Makyo:Ziria for the PC-Engine was a fabulous game, really huge by 1989 standards, and then Tengai II:Manjimaru blew it away in terms of size and graphics (but not story). Both games have a strong sense of time and place and are amongst my favorite RPG experiences. I was disappointed that the PS2 remake didn't really go far enough in the updating department, but it would still be a worthwhile experience in English.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I agree that this doesn't look like a next-gen game at all....

I think that if this would have been done on the PS2, I would probably have looked pretty similar....

IMO, it is not an ugly game by any means....and I happen to like the art on this game too....

It just doesn't look like what I envisioned X360 games would look like, thats all....

stone128

KH2 on the PS2 looks better than this! I'm sure the graphics will be better than this come launch, but it's gonna be interesting...

Top Bottom