• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raiders screenshots - You'll want to protect her

Sanctuary

I agree but i would also understand why some people might see simalirities between the two series if they have only played Crystal's TR games.

I've played four TR games, and three UC games, so it has nothing to do with unfamiliarity. They are thematically extremely similar; and while UC obviously has more of a narrative and uses the PS3 to emphasize it, it's simply a more modern take on what TR was doing. If anything, it's TR with less of a focus on challenging platforming and exploration and a heavier emphasis on the shootouts.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/1...from-uncharted-according-to-crystal-dynamics/

“Well, naturally, they’re action-adventure, OK, so there’s going to be some comparison. I don’t think we can get away with that. And there are certain things the Uncharted series has done, which is borrowed heavily from Tomb Raiders [of] old. So, again, there’s gonna be some crossover. That said, I think when we show the game as a whole—when you get to experience it, start to finish—we believe there’s a lot of differences between the two.

Nizz

I'm anticipating the PS3 version will run like shit and they'll map aiming and shooting to L2/R2 like they did in Underworld with no option to change it. :/

I'd love to be proven wrong though on both counts.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I want to protect her from all that aliasing, does that count?

Those jaggies look sharp and dangerous.

JordanN

Banned
How is this a Tomb Raider game again? Whenever I look at new media for the game, I just see some kind of Uncharted wannabe, which is pretty ironic considering who came first.

sublimit

Banned
I've played four TR games, and three UC games, so it has nothing to do with unfamiliarity. They are thematically extremely similar; and while UC obviously has more of a narrative and uses the PS3 to emphasize it, it's simply a more modern take on what TR was doing. If anything, it's TR with less of a focus on challenging platforming and exploration and a heavier emphasis on the shootouts.

May i ask which Tomb Raider games you have played?
And as you said yourself they are thematically similar.Just not in terms of gameplay.

The original TR games had their focus on gameplay (platforming,environment hazzards,puzzles) while Crystal's games were emphasizing (just like Uncharted) on story,character and some light puzzles with magnetic platforming.In Crystal's games the gameplay was build around Lara while in the classic TR Lara was just a "tool" to make the gameplay shine.Combat was never a big focus even in the most heavy combat TR games.Even in TR2 (probably the TR with the most combat) the platforming,exploration and puzzles far outweighted the shooting parts.

The only similarities Uncharted has with Crystal's TR games is that they both share the same light platforming and casual puzzles as well as the emphasis on story and character.
However Tomb Raider existed (and thrived) long before Crystal took over and its fundamentals are vastly different than Crystal's games and more so than Uncharted.

Fantasmo

For these shots:
When the fuck is foliage going to become higher resolution and become pushable? Atari 2600 BLOCKS everywhere my damn eyes.
What the hell happened to color. I like colors. The world has lots of colors. Give me a few more colors. Is there a new continent on Earth I'm not aware of that has no colors besides brown and dirt. The fuck.

For all games, may not be relevant to this one:
When are bushes going to become an impediment?
Who the fuck walks right through bushes.

ohlawd

tombraidermultiediteur0.jpg
yum.

I love it when girls are on the ground and covered in dirt.

I've definitely spent my time making fun of the marketing and other elements, but I'm also optimistic and looking forward to it.

UrbanRats

Anyway, to say something positive about it: They gave her a quiver, that was something that really bugged me during the E3 demo.
You can't make a linear game so focused on the bow, and not give your character a damn quiver.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wow, somehow they made the game look worse. Looks like an early gen game smeared in tons of filters.

Lime

I'm kind of wondering honestly.

This picture in particular is horrid beyond belief:

Perhaps they should consider Square Enix's group UE4 license going forward.

It looks to be the same as the earlier shots from E3, so I don't think the game has been downgraded as such:

Anyway, to say something positive about it: They gave her a quiver, that was something that really bugged me during the E3 demo.
You can't make a linear game so focused on the bow, and not give your character a damn quiver.

I like your sense of optimism.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So this game is now basically a full-blown action game? Doesn't look like there's much exploration to be had from those screens.

Wow, somehow they made the game look worse. Looks like an early gen game smeared in tons of filters.

Does this have something to do with Eidos' tech? They just seem to be a tad behind the big studios and end up relying more on filters to try to make their games look good.

dan2026

I heard rumors they bowed to public bitching and took the attempted rape scene out.

I really hope this isn't true, because it makes them seem incredibly weak.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Does this have something to do with Eidos' tech? They just seem to be a tad behind the big studios and end up relying more on filters to try to make their games look good.
Tomb Raider Underworld looked incredible at release and didn't rely on shitty filters so that may be why this is a bit surprising to people.

omonimo

Banned
Because Hitman is fair solid? It's not the same team, but Underworld was pretty dated game & at the time was the normality shitty porting on ps3. I doubt this game will run that bad. But of course, if someone has seen the later build in action run so bad, I can retract.

rvy

Banned
Because Hitman is fair solid? It's not the same team, but Underworld was pretty dated game & at the time was the normality shitty porting on ps3. I doubt this game will run that bad. But of course, if someone has seen the later build in action run so bad, I can retract.

Oh... right. A couple of multiplats run better on PS3 than 360. Yeah, I'm down with your logic.

omonimo

Banned
Oh... right. A couple of multiplats run better on PS3 than 360. Yeah, I'm down with your logic.

I don't follow you. :/ Most of the multiplat are good enough on ps3, lately; could be 360 could lead with a slight advantage, but now all multiplat automatically become horrible on ps3 because 360 has some edges? It's not 2008 again.

Top Bottom