• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Trailer for Ghostbusters: Afterlife

ManaByte

Oh no, they turned it into a frikkin' kids movie.
See they managed to tick all the requisite Twitter boxes—diversity, girl power—while not coming off as completely woke, pandering shit. Could actually be half-decent. I kinda like the smaller tower, family tone and feel of what I saw.
They're Egon's grandchildren and all of the surviving Ghostbusters + Dana and Janine are in it (and Bill Murray says they wear proton packs). It's written and directed by Ivan Reitman's son (who was in Ghostbusters II).

The rumor of the story is:
Egon buried the old containment unit from New York in a mine in Oklahoma and now it's failing, which is why ghosts from the first two movies show up in the trailers. They're all escaping. The mine was the Shandor mine where they got the metal for the skyscraper in the first movie.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

They're Egon's grandchildren and all of the surviving Ghostbusters + Dana and Janine are in it (and Bill Murray says they wear proton packs). It's written and directed by Ivan Reitman's son (who was in Ghostbusters II).

Egon buried the old containment unit from New York in a mine in Oklahoma and now it's failing, which is why ghosts from the first two movies show up in the trailers. They're all escaping. The mine was the Shandor mine where they got the metal for the skyscraper in the first movie.

That's... actually a really decent plot idea.

Cravis

Oh no, they turned it into a frikkin' kids movie.
Go Away GIF

fuck yeah

Looks pretty good! The last film set the bar so low that this one could trip and fall over it.
Bummer they couldn't get Moranis, but everyone else returning is fantastic.

Fret Runner

Huh, Didn't expect to actually see Gozer in its original form (climbing out of the hole)
Mini Pufts merging together to form proper Staypuft vs new destroyer form final fight? lol

Not what I personally wanted from a GB3 but that dream died with Ramis.
Still, Looking like it might be a fun decent movie.

2016 crap can stay lodged up satans asshole.

longdi

Banned
seems a bit too 'dark' but everything else looks better than 2016 easily

the original GB success was down to the casts bouncing off each other imo

Im not sure the kids are good enough for that. At least we have antman to bounce of ray and peter? 🤷‍♀️

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Looks really good. Handing it over to a new generation is right and proper after all these years, and making them kids its a great way to give continuity without trying to replace what was originally so appealing about the original its cast and setup.

In simple terms its a sequel, not a replacement.

Fret Runner

Place ya bets. Will this happen in the movie.

Gozer: Are you a god?
Ray:.......Yes!
Gozer: Then die! *fires hand beams and throws the OG guys across the room*
Ray: Ahhh!......I knew it! after all these years. it WAS a trick question.

EruditeHobo

Tone looks all wrong. Ghostbusters does not feel even a little bit like this. Take the NY out of Ghostbusters -- literally and figuratively -- and you're missing the point, somewhat... a reverential, saccharine Anytown, USA movie it ain't.

Still could be fun, though. I do like seeing Janine, and love the idea of Ray still toiling away in some version of Ray's Occult.

Davey Cakes

Listening to Jason Reitman's trailer commentary makes me think that this really is a labor of love. I mean, the filmmakers studied the first movie in particular. They tried to use practical effects as much as possible and avoided making anything look too clean. Reitman said that they used some "old filming techniques" which is something I always like to hear. They even went back and scanned some of the SFX from the original movie to give this new one a more authentic feel.

No reason to be pessimistic about this. It's not like 2016 where the concept sounded okay and the cast was promising but the trailers were giant red flags.

Last edited:

JCK75

While on paper there are some warning signs, everything about it just feels right to me... and I want to see this badly.

Kev Kev

It feels different, but I’m digging it. And that reveal at the end! I had no idea they were bringing them back. I really want this to be good

Atrus

Gold Member
Looks like a true sequel to the story given how much time has past and certain actors are too old or dead to return in full

The change from urban to rural setting obviously carries a shift in tone but the key to success is what it constructs rather than deconstructs.

It looks like all of previous elements remain so that’s a good start, and the approach builds toward the Ghostbusters as something positive that they’ll build up rather than tear down.

Kenpachii

feels nothing like ghostbusters

Ghostbusters always felt to me like a bunch of guys trying to get some company going with humor and struggle after there study with ghosts involved and then move on to doing some epic ghost hunting.

This just looks like a kid movie trying to be cool and hunting some jumanji creatures.

Last edited:
Look this is kind of a good way to make a sequel...as long as the snappy sarcastic humour is in it....as long as you have an ass like bill murray.

You cant make a sequel to Ghostbusters and have it be the same tone and exact feel as ghostbusters....it was lightning in a bottle..it was never made to have a sequel. You try to do that you get Ghostbusters 2.....

The Skull

Loving it. It was never gonna be Ghostbusters 3 with the originals running around New York busting ghosts. 2 did that and whilst I love it, the movie was a retread of the first. Different can be good as long as it respects what came before and this does seem to be doing so. Also love Rays occults is still a thing.

Mato

I still don't like the setting. They should have stuck with downtown NY. As for a villain, I would have gone with Sigourney Weaver's evil baby boy, all grown up now, still semi-possessed by Vigo and ready bring chaos upon the world. I'd love to see Sigourney's character back for one more sequel. My expectations for Afterlife are fairly low.

Top Bottom