• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Uncharted Drake Fortune PS3 Game Scans

spwolf

SolidSnakex said:
Lair really is a good example, all you need to do is go into that recent big Lair thread where IGN had a big update and the game got crushed by just about everyone and then we started seeing footage from the event F5 held and people turned completely around on the game.

which is why you need games close to finish that can show you best they have.

Besides, we are seeing a lot of Lair and Warhawk because they are going to start sales 1-2 months sooner than Uncharted...

You dont want to hype games that are 6 months away, when you have games that are 2 months away...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
SolidSnakex said:
SoTC and ICO stand up to that (i'd say they're better actually), but then again they're last gen games also. :/
Let's not forget GoW and GoW2. Those two are miracles of animation if you consider the hardware they are on. The fat Medusa in GoW2, to name but one thing, was *really* quite a sight to behold.

szaromir said:
I saw a demo with Indiana fighting his opponents on a tram - very glitchy to say the least.
Yeah, it was really nothing special, sub-par actually, but that was really early so I hope they will do something about it.

Marconelly said:
Let's not forget GoW and GoW2. Those two are miracles of animation if you consider the hardware they are on. The fat Medusa in GoW2, to name but one thing, was *really* quite a sight to behold.

I just mention SoTC and ICO because they use momentum based animation which just makes it look totally different from everything else. But yeah GoW and GoW2 animate beautifully for a last generation game, and animate better than anything so far released on next gen systems. Can't wait to see what SSM is going to do with GoW3.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I thought the 2006 trailer of Uncharted was stated to be realtime? Ugh, but of course not...

Thunderbear said:
I thought the 2006 trailer of Uncharted was stated to be realtime? Ugh, but of course not...

It was real time. They downgraded the shaders though! But that was because RSX was downclocked

The game should look great and animate just like it did in the older trailer. Naughty Dog is an amazing developer

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I just mention SoTC and ICO because they use momentum based animation which just makes it look totally different from everything else. But yeah GoW and GoW2 animate beautifully for a last generation game, and animate better than anything so far released on next gen systems. Can't wait to see what SSM is going to do with GoW3.

Were SotC and ICO hand-animated? Team Fumito Ueda/Kenji Kaido just has really awesome animators.

Kittonwy said:
Were SotC and ICO hand-animated? Team Fumito Ueda/Kenji Kaido just has really awesome animators.

I know ICO was hand animated, i'm not completely sure about SoTC though. I'd imagine so since they animate in a similar way (the main characters). The colossus feature the best in game animation i've seen in any game. The games concept would've failed had it not been for how well they animated and how they moved like they look. And Agro animates better than any animal in a game.

SolidSnakex said:
I know ICO was hand animated, i'm not completely sure about SoTC though. I'd imagine so since they animate in a similar way (the main characters). The colossus feature the best in game animation i've seen in any game. The games concept would've failed had it not been for how well they animated and how they moved like they look. And Agro animates better than any animal in a game.

Not sure about the humans, but I seem to remember seeing something in the SotC end credits about horse motion capture. Even still, the mocap's only gonna get you half way there; you still have to turn that motion into something usable in a game engine. And all the colossi were definitely hand animated. Very impressive stuff.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Doom_Bringer said:
It was real time. They downgraded the shaders though! But that was because RSX was downclocked

The game should look great and animate just like it did in the older trailer. Naughty Dog is an amazing developer

Ah ok, just odd that he's so proud of achieving the same quality of the character as the trailer, if the trailer was realtime then I don't understand the accomplishment.

Anyway, definitely very interested in this game. This weekend (square party) and next week (gamers day) should be awesome.

Thunderbear said:
Ah ok, just odd that he's so proud of achieving the same quality of the character as the trailer, if the trailer was realtime then I don't understand the accomplishment.

He wasn't referring to the models looking like the trailer model, I think he's referring to achieving a similar quality to the photo of Drake and Elenas and faces posted earlier

fb29b2438e.jpg

540dae2c82.jpg

Here's his full response about the models

so to answer your question, the new image is a render in mental ray. It is not an in game asset. It was made as a benchmark to see what we could achieve in real time. obviously you guys have seen the real time versions and will be seeing more soon.

The render uses the high res model made from scratch in zbrush. there was no scanning of a head or texture maps. The mesh is probably around 500k polys in the render. the in game version is no where near that. However, the in game version uses the same size maps as the render and is based off the same geometry obviously.

ICO and SotC (SotC particularly) use a special animation system that's a blend of inverse kinematics, physics, and brute-force hand animation (with mocap for the horse, I think). It's momentum/physics driven with a huge amount of key-framed animations that are triggered by certain physical conditions. The system Naughty Dog are using sounds very similar - tons of custom animations laid over the top of a Euphoria-esque physics platform.

Tieno

buckfutter said:
ICO and SotC (SotC particularly) use a special animation system that's a blend of inverse kinematics, physics, and brute-force hand animation (with mocap for the horse, I think). It's momentum/physics driven with a huge amount of key-framed animations that are triggered by certain physical conditions. The system Naughty Dog are using sounds very similar - tons of custom animations laid over the top of a Euphoria-esque physics platform.
Interesting! I loved the sense of weight and gravity/physics in ICO and SOTC animation.

spwolf

Thunderbear said:

i predict that we will go through this every time thread is bumped... my advice, read the ****ing thread, there are at least 10 posts that quote developers response to your question.

deepbrown

SolidSnakex said:
He won't confirm that its even going to be at GD, but if it is then its going to have gameplay in it.

Yeah it was a rumour. n4g.com didn't frame it very well. And I hope it doesn't get Rich into trouble.

Insomniac podcast said uncharted would be at GD

Wollan

The days are crawling. It will be almost Tuesday here in Aussie before the news start dropping in. And yeah, the store update was most likely for instant PSN releases of whatever..

I think it's great that the Need for Speed High Stake's level designer is designing the levels for this game. Need for Speed HS has some of the best and most memorable tracks in a racing game EVER!!

deepbrown

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-38680.aspx

" A rumour was reported yesterday about Uncharted perhaps making a showing at Sony Gamer's Day. The rumour originated from B3d forums, from the lead character artist.

This is just a rumour. And to put this into context, they do not know when there will be gameplay footage of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, as this is all down to Sony's maretting. Richard Diament made this very clear in his posts, stating that although the marketting train had started for Uncharted, when or whether footage was to be shown is not in their hands.

Sony Gamer's Day was hinted at for exciting news on upcoming games from Sony, but whether there will be footage of Uncharted is unknown."

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
deepbrown said:

" A rumour was reported yesterday about Uncharted perhaps making a showing at Sony Gamer's Day. The rumour originated from B3d forums, from the lead character artist.

This is just a rumour. And to put this into context, they do not know when there will be gameplay footage of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, as this is all down to Sony's maretting. Richard Diament made this very clear in his posts, stating that although the marketting train had started for Uncharted, when or whether footage was to be shown is not in their hands.

Sony Gamer's Day was hinted at for exciting news on upcoming games from Sony, but whether there will be footage of Uncharted is unknown."

Well of course they wont show any...

its gonna be Killzone 2 ALLLL DAY :O

deepbrown

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Well of course they wont show any...

its gonna be Killzone 2 ALLLL DAY :O

lol you wish. Wouldn't it be funny if they played the same sequence, but this time ingame. Everybody would think it was just the cg trailer again...but then they'd play them side by side and there'd be differences in movement and stuff... that would rock lol

Busty

Banned
deepbrown said:

Though I know Sony will be saving most of the good stuff for their Son of E3 press conference (please stream over the net...!!!) but does anyone have any idea of what we can expect from this event on Monday?

IIRC the last Gamer's Day just before the PS3 launched really only had a few PSN game announcements rather than some big reveal. What's the general school of thought?

Apart from the usual suspects, what can we expect?

deepbrown

Busty said:
Though I know Sony will be saving most of the good stuff for their Son of E3 press conference (please stream over the net...!!!) but does anyone have any idea of what we can expect from this event on Monday?

IIRC the last Gamer's Day just before the PS3 launched really only had a few PSN game announcements rather than some big reveal. What's the general school of thought?

Apart from the usual suspects, what can we expect?

I think some psn games (as hinted by threespeech) Little Big Planet, Warhawk, and SOE MMO. And showing of some games we know about. And some psn games announced. I think that's all

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Doom_Bringer said:

Joke post? I thought that word was bannable nowadays.

Busty

Banned
deepbrown said:
I think some psn games (as hinted by threespeech) Little Big Planet, Warhawk, and SOE MMO. And showing of some games we know about. And some psn games announced. I think that's all

Interesting. Do we know this for sure? I know that they were planning to show a few projects at E3. I've been curious to see what SOE's MMO for the PS3 looks like. Apparently it's a modern warfare/mercenary based FPS MMO. It was apparently, supposed to be a launch title, not sure what happened.....

Seeing as SOE are sort of the red headed offspring of SCEWW I'm intrigued to see what they come up with. Along with their DC Comics MMO I hope they managed to pull off a few great games... if only because they've been striking out an awful lot lately.

But I've been hearing good things about SOE's MMO from their Austin studio, the Spy themed one..... could be interesting.

jiggle said:
When is that?

Not sure to be honest. I think it's the day before Son of E3 begins. Which is the..... 12 of July?

I'm sure someone will know the exact time and date.

Paging Aisenharz?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
buckfutter said:
Yeah, SotC was really the first game (to my knowledge) that do this kind of AI-Physics-Keyframing linkup, and it worked really well. Ico probably did it as well, but not to that degree. I don't think Ico had the AI component at least (in SotC, your character would try to restore his balance when the surface he was running on would start tilting).

As for the horse, I think they said they did a mocap but then just made hand-animation based on that mocap, as they couldn't actually use mocap due to some problems.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I think we'll see Uncharted at Gamers Day. Along with Warhawk and Burnout Paradise. Probably not much else..... but I'd be happy with just seeing Uncharted.

deepbrown

Busty said:
Interesting. Do we know this for sure? I know that they were planning to show a few projects at E3. I've been curious to see what SOE's MMO for the PS3 looks like. Apparently it's a modern warfare/mercenary based FPS MMO. It was apparently, supposed to be a launch title, not sure what happened.....

Seeing as SOE are sort of the red headed offspring of SCEWW I'm intrigued to see what they come up with. Along with their DC Comics MMO I hope they managed to pull off a few great games... if only because they've been striking out an awful lot lately.

But I've been hearing good things about SOE's MMO from their Austin studio, the Spy themed one..... could be interesting.

Not sure to be honest. I think it's the day before Son of E3 begins. Which is the..... 12 of July?

I'm sure someone will know the exact time and date.

Paging Aisenharz?

I dont know for sure...but it's a guess definately. Just seems like the kind of thing they'd announce there.

ANd I believe it's next week.

I think we'll see previously announced/shown games as well as some new announcements for PSN games. The big game announcements will be kept for E3.

bud

is the event for 1st/2nd party titles or only or is there a chance that kojima might show a new mgs4 teaser/trailer?

Top Bottom