• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii U Firmware (12/04/2012)

Fox Mulder

Going from the eshop, miiverse and friend list back to the main menu immediately isn't my imagination. Before it took 5-10 seconds to return.
Closing software still takes awhile, though.

Anything seems faster after waiting through that awful download and install time. Going through different apps certainly isn't immediate, and takes as long as it always has.

Unless my WiiU just decided to not benefit from the update.

Anything seems faster after waiting through that awful download and install time. Going through different apps certainly isn't immediate, and takes as long as it always has.

Does anybody want to film a before and after? You know, for science?

It's actually bricking consoles? Christ.

I have no reason to update, I'll wait til Nintendo gets their shit together.

They truly go out of their way to copy Microsoft on this one. The memories of pretty much all XBL updates being preceded and followed by news of bricked consoles, accusations of said consoles being modded/hacked...

btw, slow poke connection on my end, downloaded the update in less than 10 minutes... now unto installing.

Goodlife

So the console will brick if it's turned off during the download????

Surely not, that is proper shite design if true.

Understand it causing problems if turned off during the instal stage, but why would it make any difference during the download?

cochese

Mine bricked. Won't turn on now. Had no idea it was downloading an update. Was logging on to Miiverse and it froze. First Nintendo console that fails me.

As long as there's no random lock-ups, you should be fine. No different than it was on the Day 1 update.

being at the mercy of random lock ups isn't exactly acceptable. a console shouldn't brick because of a lock up during the download of an update. ideally, you should be able to cancel the download of an update at any time before it starts to install.

I'll download the update when I get home, but two big updates in just 5 days? if that doesn't scream undercooked / rushed, I don't know what does.

So the console will brick if it's turned off during the download????

Surely not, that is proper shite design if true.

Understand it causing problems if turned off during the instal stage, but why would it make any difference during the download?

It doesn't. If it bricks during download, it bricks because of another flaw (entirely possible)

sfried

Because it doesn't do anything you will notice. Just a giant patch to fix stability issues, like hard locks that some people had.

People seeing os speed increases are most likely imagining things.
Ehh, not me. Miiverse loads faster and so does the Nintendo Network ID settings page. No more stuck on the splash screen like before. If there's anything, it's that it's stable enough that I don't have to fear exiting to the menu screen and getting stuck. A.K.A. its as stable as 3DS's OS launch release.

qq more

being at the mercy of random lock ups isn't exactly acceptable. a console shouldn't brick because of a lock up during the download of an update. ideally, you should be able to cancel the download of an update at any time before it starts to install.

I'll download the update when I get home, but two big updates in just 5 days? if that doesn't scream undercooked / rushed, I don't know what does.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this bullshit. It is indeed unacceptable. I really don't understand why a download would brick a console either... it makes no sense :/

Astra

I didn't say going through apps was immediate. Actually opening software and closing it still takes awhile. I'm talking about going through the OS level features (friend list, miiverse) being faster, and returning to the main menu from these being immediate, rather than having to wait upwards of 10 seconds to return.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this bullshit. It is indeed unacceptable. I really don't understand why a download would brick a console either... it makes no sense :/

I highly doubt that the download itself bricks the console (if not for a fatal flaw in the OS to begin with) and seen as how the console needs a full restart before even applying the update, it is most likely that it's not related to the update data itself, but rather an allready existing fatal flaw in the systems OS.

It isn't bricking consoles if you shut if off during the download. I shut my Wii U off as it downloaded the update and I turned it one 3 hrs later to let it finish. Works just fine.

I know, just tried it myself. Turned it off after 8 minutes of download, turned back on and 2 minutes later, the update was downloaded, restarted console and now the install begins.

it is strange. I wonder if the way it downloads the update is causing issues with firmware? whatever the issue is, it's something nintendo need to look into urgently. the report of background downloading the patch causing the console to brick is even more worrying.

I was lucky last time, but I might just forego this update until it becomes more clear if the patch is stable.

Tyeforce

I had my system freeze on me while downloading the update in the background, too. Didn't get bricked, though... But isn't bricking only caused if you pull the plug while installing the update, not downloading it? That's what I've heard, at least. Does it even do background installs, or do you have to manually choose to install after the download? I haven't reached that point yet in my update (stupidly slow DSL here ._.).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
US Wii Us updated to PALs Wii U?
I mean, here in the old Europe there weren't so many complaints about stability, freezes and hard locks...

Astra

I had my system freeze on me while downloading the update in the background, too. Didn't get bricked, though... But isn't bricking only caused if you pull the plug while installing the update, not downloading it? That's what I've heard, at least. Does it even do background installs, or do you have to manually choose to install after the download? I haven't reached that point yet in my update (stupidly slow DSL here ._.).

After it downloaded, it said to restart the system to begin the installation process. So I had to turn it off then back on, at which point it said it was preparing the update. Then said something like "Ready to begin installing update" where I had to hit OK (didn't have an option to decline). It then started the install, and nothing else could be done while doing so.

AzaK

True, but it still can be fixed. I just hope they try.

Not necessarily, it could be shit slow Flash storage.

I am just apalled that there's a number of people here getting their consoles bricked during downloads. Normally Nintendo is pretty anal about there software.

Seik

Banned
One cool thing too, for people who aren't going in the OT frequently: The Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed patch is up as well! :D

bh7812

Banned
For loading. Been messing around with Nintendo Land though, and it seems much more stable so far.

My download took about an hour and a half and about 5 minutes to install. At least the install was far faster this time. Download time was expected with my connection. Some days it cooperates and I can do 500 MB in an hour, others that takes a little longer.

I will really check Nintendo Land tomorrow to see if it did fix the hard locking, which I hope it did. But, if you're fixing hard locks, wouldn't that require a separate Nintendo Land patch along with this OS update? Or not necessarily? My understanding has always been that in order to fix any kind of hard locking that requires both an update at the OS level plus a game patch. But if they were able to stop the hard locking with the OS update tonight good on them. We'll see tomorrow. I'm honestly afraid to try Nintendo Land again, since that's the only game that hard locked on me but I suppose I have to try it again at some point.

they REALLY need to work on their servers.

Updates are horrendously slow , even the zombiu 23 mb update took me 15 mins.

I mean wtf.

They're not their servers. They use the same cloud data provider as PSN etc according to a thread the other day.

I got the first update in about 20-25 minutes + a little extra to install, I get a feeling people's DNS or ISPs are causing consoles to look up the wrong update server or something, I get great speeds in the UK.

qq more

But there are random lockups quite often it seems?

I guess it varies on systems. For example mines only got a lock up once. Meanwhile some have a ton of lock ups... I wish Nintendo hasn't rushed the system :/

By the way, all the update did was increase the speed of loading up some apps? Really underwhelming for something that's nearly 600MB or is there something I'm missing?

i dont know how long it took to dl because it had done it in the background, i had no idea it was doing so.

I basically only found out because of this thread. Read there was an update here, went to download manager to do the update check and there it was @ 100%. Nice to know it fetches updates for you.

Tank jeebus i didnt get bricked, tho.

I've pulled the power cord out several times while downloading due do it taking many hours to update. I have had zero freezes/lockups.

I guess it varies on systems. For example mines only got a lock up once. Meanwhile some have a ton of lock ups... I wish Nintendo hasn't rushed the system :/

By the way, all the update did was increase the speed of loading up some apps? Really underwhelming for something that's nearly 600MB or is there something I'm missing?

Didn't even do that. Measurements I took of before and after all were within a margin of error of about 1-2 seconds plus and minus. I see a lot of people claiming it helped, but unless they actually measured it with a stop watch (I did) I wouldn't give them too much credence.

jonno394

Nintendo could be pulling off a stealth update to unveil something during Nintendo direct. Reggie says “TVii, available on your Wii U….right now!!” Nintendo flick the switch and bam, Tvii available…..obviously that’s not gonna happen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They're not their servers. They use the same cloud data provider as PSN etc according to a thread the other day.

It's may be one of Akamai's managed private/third party CDNs. Which Nintendo would have control over in terms of resources and capacity and where servers are etc.

Or not.

I haven't seen anyone compare speeds to other services on public clouds so we can't say for sure, but it's not necessarily same provider = same quality of service. Depends what approach Nintendo's taking.

Eusis

Nintendo could be pulling off a stealth update to unveil something during Nintendo direct. Reggie says “TVii, available on your Wii U….right now!!” Nintendo flick the switch and bam, Tvii available…..obviously that’s not gonna happen.
On the other hand it WOULD be arbitrarily blocking just added functionality for a convenient reveal, so that sounds like something Nintendo (... or Sony or Microsoft) might pull.

-PXG-

Apps load much faster for me. Still slow, much much improved from before. No connection or system errors yet. I'm pleased.

Does definitely seem a little nippier since the update nothing drastic but definitely not imagining it, web browser also seems a bit quicker but I could be imagining that?

NeoRausch

something seems to be terrible wrong with my WiiU.
Not only that i had no problem connecting it to my router and none of those fine lockups, noooooo now i've downloaded and installed the update in 30 mins.

GAF, i'm getting anxious here!!

:(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ehh, not me. Miiverse loads faster and so does the Nintendo Network ID settings page. No more stuck on the splash screen like before. If there's anything, it's that it's stable enough that I don't have to fear exiting to the menu screen and getting stuck. A.K.A. its as stable as 3DS's OS launch release.

miiverse has been more responsive since yesterday for me. Perhaps they've just beefed up the servers on that end?

something seems to be terrible wrong with my WiiU.
Not only that i had no problem connecting it to my router and none of those fine lockups, noooooo now i've downloaded and installed the update in 30 mins.

GAF, i'm getting anxious here!!

:(

Me too, I know quite scary ain't it

beje

Banned
For the looks of it, I think the day 1 patch was something they had prepared for Miiverse and eShop to go live at launch since a month or two ago and today's patch is what they've been working in until the last minute. It's the only rational explanation for such a huge patch so soon.

bomma_man

My Wii had an OS failure within a week, completely bricked. Sounds like their OS QA hasn't improved in the intervening six years.

deleted

For the looks of it, I think the day 1 patch was something they had prepared for Miiverse and eShop to go live at launch since a month or two ago and today's patch is what they've been working in until the last minute. It's the only rational explanation for such a huge patch so soon.

As it's been said before - maybe you cannot update the firmware, but have to replace it each time you do an update.

Top Bottom