• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii U Firmware (12/04/2012)

Revven

Wonder if this stops wii mode home brew. Doubt it, but I dunno.

It wouldn't. They would need to issue a Wii firmware update to do that. It's literally a Wii on there. And even if they could patch it, they can't fix the games that have the exploits in them because... guess what! Nintendo can't patch games on the Wii! The Wii does not have the necessary bits and pieces to do that. And since this is literally just a Wii, version 4.3, it still lacks that capability. Nintendo updated nothing about it when they put it on the Wii U before shipping the console.

I believe they don't care about the Wii mode at all. They gave up on blocking homebrew two years ago. They'll start to care, however, when it leads to the Wii U becoming the next victim.

It wouldn't. They would need to issue a Wii firmware update to do that. It's literally a Wii on there. And even if they could patch it, they can't fix the games that have the exploits in them because... guess what! Nintendo can't patch games on the Wii! The Wii does not have the necessary bits and pieces to do that. And since this is literally just a Wii, version 4.3, it still lacks that capability. Nintendo updated nothing about it when they put it on the Wii U before shipping the console.

I believe they don't care about the Wii mode at all. They gave up on blocking homebrew two years ago. They'll start to care, however, when it leads to the Wii U becoming the next victim.

A little bit of misinformation here... Nintendo could EASILY patch the Wii mode inside the wii U from within the Wii U menu. They could easily remove the homebrew channel once/if it's installed, they did it with Wii updates in the past... if they actually put forth the effort to whack-a-mole all the exploits down they could at least put up a token resistance (like Sony did with the PSP for ages).

They couldn't keep people from running homebrew via Smash Bros, but proper updates to the Wii mode could prevent modifying any of the "kernel" or installing channels (and thus any form of pirating) but it would be a lot of work and I agree, I don't think Nintendo is up for fighting that battle anymore.

Ok, using a stopwatch: no improvement for Netflix loading for me 30 seconds from load to selecting titles/ 27 seconds back to home screen.

Miiverse loads quicker, about 8 seconds in (previously 15 seconds)- back to home screen is instant!!

From home screen web browser loads in 10.2 seconds, closes instantly!

So I see improvements!!!

baby steps, par for the nintendo course. im not complaining, but anyone hoping for instant improvement to lightning OS speeds kind of has their head in the clouds

also download, install, and reboot took somewhere b/t 15-20 min (last night around 1:30 AM EST). not sure what's up with y'all

OctoWara289

Neo Member
baby steps, par for the nintendo course. im not complaining, but anyone hoping for instant improvement to lightning OS speeds kind of has their head in the clouds

It's unfortunate that that is our reality. However, I really hope that they do fix it. I miss the days where my game would just load upon clicking it. This is next-gen hardware, and to be sacrificing load times is not good... :(

Miiverse loads quicker, about 8 seconds in (previously 15 seconds)- back to home screen is instant!!

Did you do the test on a freshly started Wii U? You can't test the load by restarting miiverse multiple times in the same power session since it leaves Miiverse in ram after the first time (much faster loading)

Cosmozone

Interesting. When I came home today, the update was ready to install. But I turned off WLAN before going to work. The console must have downloaded it last night. Installing now...

just started the update but first made sure my connection was stable and there were no issues with seed. speed test came back as expected, 13mb download. start the update and it's going to take 3 fucking hours. what the fucking fuck is this shit? is they release just one more update before the end of the year, I'm trading this pos in and will actively discourage everyone I know from buying one.

this is fucking ridiculous. no damn excuse for this poor level of speed with downloading. invest in some proper online infrastructure if you're going to push so many updates, you backward, ancient pieces of shit.

scratch that, it's not 3 hours and 42 minutes. fucking marvellous.

Did you do the test on a freshly started Wii U? You can't test the load by restarting miiverse multiple times in the same power session since it leaves Miiverse in ram after the first time (much faster loading)

Yes, I was meticulous about that, shame I didn't check my Hulu and YouTube apps prior to the update. Oh we'll, not huge improvements, them again I've been lucky not having a lot of the issues most complained about. No hard locks for me.

pulsemyne

The COD bug whereby you had to switch off your console to get out of the game has disappeared as has the inability to get into the home screen.

Berg

The COD bug whereby you had to switch off your console to get out of the game has disappeared as has the inability to get into the home screen.

All as you had to do was go to the campaign page, then you could close the software.
But yea no Home button during mulitplayer is stupid

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm noticing a clear difference when logging into/out of Miiverse.

gah, now it's 4hrs, 16mins. bar hasn't moved in over 5 minutes.

is there a website where you can download the patch like for the playstation 3? this is seriously pissing me off now.

atbigelow

My Wuu refuses to sit on the download page and manually download the update. It can't stay connected for more than a minute. I have to just let it sit there and download in the background.

I did end up finishing the update last night, though, after just letting my Wuu sit there for hours.

I give up, my download stopped nearly 20 mins ago. I've turned off the console and I don't really care if it's bricked. I'll try again in a few days. terrible, not even the early days of playstation 3 online were as bad as this. this isn't even amateurish, it's downright pathetic.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Sucks for people having so much trouble. My download automatically started and finished without me knowing, and then started installing automatically when I went to the main menu. It took no more than five minutes. Totally brilliant.

While I guess some people are having trouble (which sucks), I've personally never had a less-annoying update for any device ever. I hope they can keep it up like this.

Fularu

Banned
I give up, my download stopped nearly 20 mins ago. I've turned off the console and I don't really care if it's bricked. I'll try again in a few days. terrible, not even the early days of playstation 3 online were as bad as this. this isn't even amateurish, it's downright pathetic.
Reset your modem because the problem is clearly on your end. Update took 30 minutes here, from starting the download to finishing the install and that seems in line with what other people are experiencing.

60mb broadband and its taking forever. I wish Nintendo had a community like Major Nelson and PSBlog, somewhere official to talk about these real world issues.

Crom

I wonder what the problem is? This one only took 15-20 minutes for me.

Jeez man, sounds horrible :/

You'd think after all the dollars Nintendo has made from the Wii they could have spent a bit more on preventing a user experience like this in 2012.

Rich!

I wonder what the problem is? This one only took 15-20 minutes for me.

Yep, same. And it all occured without me even knowing during a quick game of Zombi U.

Must be his internet connection. And if he's bricked it...well, that's just tough luck I guess.

Shouldn't be happening anyway. Should be my experience for everyone and Nintendo should ensure that...but not everyone has the same ISP or connection stability.

so... post update, my wii u won't load software.

It crashes during the load screen (and the system itself just shuts off). Anyone else with this problem?

CLEEK

I love the automatic background downloads of updates. It is an obvious feature, but so few platforms do this.

Last night after a session on NSMBU, I quit back to the Wii U menu and was prompted there was an update to apply. Which was the first I knew about a new firmware version. The update took 5+ minutes to install, but there was zero wait in downloading as the system had already done this.

Both the Vita and the Wii U show that there are ways to mitigate the intrusive nature of updates.

I don't think Nintendo has any idea what they're doing.

I don't think you have any idea what your talking about. Its a new console generation and this is most likely a MAJOR patch of the OS code seeing as they improved load times, hard locks, and other freezes.

Not to mention that 100mb on your 20GB max sized hard drive or 256MB memory card back in 2006 was ridiculous so compression techniques were most assuredly used. Now that were in 2012 and the device has memory expandable via usb or SD and internet speed has increased greatly, they are much less worried about your precious GB's.

Cider X

I don't think you have any idea what your talking about. Its a new console generation and this is most likely a MAJOR patch of the OS code seeing as they improved load times, hard locks, and other freezes.

Not to mention that 100mb on your 20GB max sized hard drive or 256MB memory card back in 2006 was ridiculous so compression techniques were most assuredly used. Now that were in 2012 and the device has memory expandable via usb or SD and internet speed has increased greatly, they are much less worried about your precious GB's.

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Read my earlier post, there is nothing wrong with my connection. I made sure to do stress tests before starting the download. Everything worked flawlessly, it all fell to shit when attempting to download the bloody update.

I repeat, absolutely no problems on my end. I can post speed test results to back this up. The fault lies entirely with Nintendo and their non existent online infrastructure.

Disgraceful for a company to subject their customers to this poor level of service, especially in this day and age.

Maldoror

I experienced several hardlocks tonight, even after the update. Most of them happened when I pressed the Home button after watching some youtube videos on the browser... had to unplug the Wii U from the wall.

My download stoped also but thats because the phone company was working on the pole outside and it started right up after the internet was reconnected. I am not sure why your having a problem.

Jeez man, sounds horrible :/

You'd think after all the dollars Nintendo has made from the Wii they could have spent a bit more on preventing a user experience like this in 2012.

They obviously spend all that money to make sure my experience was fine. Thanks Nintendo. Sucks for everyone else though it seems.

so... post update, my wii u won't load software.

It crashes during the load screen (and the system itself just shuts off). Anyone else with this problem?

fortunately not, the update improved my system usability a lot.

Yep, same. And it all occured without me even knowing during a quick game of Zombi U.

Must be his internet connection. And if he's bricked it...well, that's just tough luck I guess.

Shouldn't be happening anyway. Should be my experience for everyone and Nintendo should ensure that...but not everyone has the same ISP or connection stability.

What ISP? I'm on bt, I live less than 500 metres away from the exchange. My connection is flawless, always has been.

I experienced several hardlocks tonight, even after the update. Most of them happened when I pressed the Home button after watching some youtube videos on the browser... had to unplug the Wii U from the wall.

Check your fan exhaust vent (back right side of the console) and make sure it isn't obstructed. I'd call Nintendo up about it if both vents aren't blocked. Seems like stuffing up the back one causes the unit to overheat super fast. I've had 3 locks and all of them were the first day with nothing afterwards. When I switched the unit to a vertical orientation to give the exhaust more room to breathe they promptly went away.

Rich!

What ISP? I'm on bt, I live less than 500 metres away from the exchange. My connection is flawless, always has been.

SKY ADSL, 2mb/s at the most.

Its bizarre. By all means, mine should have taken hours. But it didn't, it took 15 minutes.

Maybe its the Wii U disliking your router? Shouldn't be the case, but there's obviously issues with the WiFi on the consoles.

Phazon

I've got tons of devices which I can connect without any problem to my router. Smartphone gives downloadrates of 32 mbps (4MB/sec), yet updating and downloading games on my Wii U takes a long time.

I find it strange that the forum jumps onto the user as if its their fault and it couldn't possibly be Nintendo/Wii U/Server issues.

I am on Virgin Media in the UK. I have a 60mb line which I connect to it (not all at the same time)

Apple MacBook Pro
PS3
PS3 Dev kit
PS3 Test kit
Xbox 360
Wii
3DS
PSP
iPad
iPhone
Kindle

All of the above connect without issue to the Virgin Superhub.

Now, here is a list of devices that do not connect without issue, and require fucking about

Nintendo Wii U

Regarding speed, wireless I get full speed on my Mac and damned quick on Xbox 360, and due to the chip in the iPhone 4 and iPad, less (but around 20mb ish, still acceptable). PS3 isn't well known for its great wifi, but with the Slim at 100% strength I still get very fast downloads. The 2.5GB White Witch demo came down in no time last night. Wired, it's full 60mb. Switch to Wii U, the 1GB patch took FIVE hours, and the one tonight is 2 hours counting with 1/4 to go.

My connection is fine, my settings are fine, every other device I use is fine (oh, I forgot my wifi TV, that's great too), Wii U and/or its servers are fucking dog shit. End of.

tenchir

A little bit of misinformation here... Nintendo could EASILY patch the Wii mode inside the wii U from within the Wii U menu. They could easily remove the homebrew channel once/if it's installed, they did it with Wii updates in the past... if they actually put forth the effort to whack-a-mole all the exploits down they could at least put up a token resistance (like Sony did with the PSP for ages).

They couldn't keep people from running homebrew via Smash Bros, but proper updates to the Wii mode could prevent modifying any of the "kernel" or installing channels (and thus any form of pirating) but it would be a lot of work and I agree, I don't think Nintendo is up for fighting that battle anymore.

Wouldn't they be able to stop the Smash exploit by running a seperate patched smash executable instead of the one on the disc when it detects a SSBB game disc?

CLEEK

Read my earlier post, there is nothing wrong with my connection. I made sure to do stress tests before starting the download. Everything worked flawlessly, it all fell to shit when attempting to download the bloody update.

I repeat, absolutely no problems on my end. I can post speed test results to back this up. The fault lies entirely with Nintendo and their non existent online infrastructure.

Disgraceful for a company to subject their customers to this poor level of service, especially in this day and age.

Nintendo (along with hundreds of other companies) outsource their content delivery to Akamai.

http://www.akamai.com/html/customers/customer_list.html

My experience has been that either there is throttling on the server side (which ties up with the pretty standard ~1 hour download for the big 2.0 firmware, regardless of peoples internet connection speeds), or that one or more of the Akamai servers are under heavy load and struggling for bandwidth.

Akamai have servers everywhere in the world. But that doesn't mean that Nintendo have gone with that option. I have seen that I connect to Akamai servers in Japan when downloading updates or from the eShop, rather than servers in my country (Australia).

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe it is a routing issue, or that some servers are slower than others. Seems to be the same thing with PSN for some people at least. Someone gets very fast speed, while others get slower speed.

Koren

Wouldn't they be able to stop the Smash exploit by running a seperate patched smash executable instead of the one on the disc when it detects a SSBB game disc?
Remember you probably have to do this by patching Wii mode... So they could have done it on Wii if it was easy to do.

It's far from a given that they can run something like disc identification when in Wii emulation mode. Maybe the "Starbuck" chip can do something, but even that remains to be seen.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Possibly routing issues - people living nearby/using same ISP might corroborate this theory. Or perhaps software bugs leading to incompatibilities with certain wifi routers.

People smarter than me can probably figure out which servers the WiiU is trying to connect to, and maybe a tracert might reveal some interesting info.

Luckily I haven't had any connection issues at all.

- Linksys WAG120N
- Netherlands near Leiden using Internl.net ISP.

Top Bottom