• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Wipeout Pure (PSP) screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
wipeout-pure-20050125072045299.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072045768.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072046205.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072046658.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072047111.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072047533.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072048049.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Holy fuck, look at all those jaggies! That shit looks horrible! This could probably be done on DS! Jesus, that's ugly! My eyes have been shattered!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I can't help but be disappointed whenever I see any of these "normal" tracks after screens like this:

wipeout-pure-20050105062242035.jpg

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What no flat-shaded shots! :(

Exactly what was the flat-shaded Virtua Racing looking screenshot from before anyway? Does the game have a 'Pure' mode where everything is flat-shaded, or is it just one of tracks or what?

I liked the look of that.

Danger Logical Post:

I am glad I saved the money for both a DS and PSP so I wont have to fight with random people on the internet about which is best.

Cant wait to play this!!!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the tron-looking shots are probably from zone mode. this will surely be awesome...but i have a hard time caring about a 30fps racing game. :/

Culex

Banned
Amir0x said:
Holy fuck, look at all those jaggies! That shit looks horrible! This could probably be done on DS! Jesus, that's ugly! My eyes have been shattered!

I'm not so sure you'll be able to even see 'teh jaggies' when the game is running, anyway :lol

vesuvious

Banned
It's games like this, along with Lumines, Twisted Metal and Ridge Racers that make me want a PSP real bad. Thanks for the pics Wario the game looks awesome.

drohne said:
the tron-looking shots are probably from zone mode. this will surely be awesome...but i have a hard time caring about a 30fps racing game. :/

They mentioned that the 4 remake tracks in the game will have a completely new visual look, so I think that might be for the Tron tracks. Gamespot mentioned that zone mode was on a bright and mostly white track.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
What did the original WipeOut and WipeOut XL run at? 60 fps? I usually don't care about fps in games, but when it comes to the WipeOut (and most racing games), I would expect the sense of speed to be enhanced if it were to run at 60 fps.

Of course, I could also just be talking out of my ass. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Culex said:
I'm not so sure you'll be able to even see 'teh jaggies' when the game is running, anyway :lol

Oh, you can't. I've watched many videos about Wipeout Pure because I'm actually interested in this one since it goes back to what made Wipeout so great in the first place.

My statement was just me being silly because the jaggies are the first thing someone might pick apart on screen captures like these.

Jonnyram

I like the look of this track... very nice 180 section. Should be a buzz seeing all the opponents pass you on the other side.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Out of curiosity, how many Wipeout games/versions where there in the USA? And for what systems?

vesuvious

Banned
Amir0x said:
Oh, you can't. I've watched many videos about Wipeout Pure because I'm actually interested in this one since it goes back to what made Wipeout so great in the first place.

My statement was just me being silly because the jaggies are the first thing someone might pick apart on screen captures like these.

Yeah, its just that when groaners or complainers see the IGN PSP shots blown up the first thing they mention is jaggies. If IGN would format all screens to the size of the actual PSP screen you would not notice the jaggies. The same thing happens when IGN blows up pictures of GBA and DS games. All portable games media look terrible if blown up too big.

aoi tsuki

Wipeout (PSOne)
Wipeout (Saturn - Tantalus-developed with two exclusive songs and one CoLD SToRAGE track left out of the PSOne version. May have also had an exclusive track.)
Wipeout XL (PSOne)
Wipeout 2097 (PC/Mac - European name of WOXL)
Wipeout 64 (N64 - Based on WOXL with all new tracks IIRC, lesser music)
Wipeout 3 (PSOne)
Wipeout Fusion (PS2)

Looks good so far. Hopefully it's not rushed for the US launch. And if you think the PSP version looks jagtastic, the DS version would look far worse considering the lack of filtering and the lower resolution).

vesuvious

Banned
Mejilan said:
Out of curiosity, how many Wipeout games/versions where there in the USA? And for what systems?

Here is a link of all the WipeOuts on gamerankings.com : http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/itemsearch.asp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wipeout (PSOne) No GameRankings score listing

Wipeout (Saturn) 78.1%

Wipeout XL (PSOne) 94.0%

Wipeout 3 (PSOne) 86.5%

Wipeout 2097 (PC/Mac) No GameRankings score listing

Wipeout 64 (N64) 87.1%

Wipeout Fusion (PS2) 84.3%

Despite a few misteps here and there WipeOut has remained a pretty solid franchise through the years.

Mejilan

aoi tsuki said:
Wipeout (PSOne)
Wipeout (Saturn - Tantalus-developed with two exclusive songs and one CoLD SToRAGE track left out of the PSOne version)
Wipeout XL (PSOne)
Wipeout 2097 (PC/Mac - European name of WOXL)
Wipeout 64 (N64 - Based on WOXL with all new tracks IIRC, lesser music)
Wipeout 3 (PSOne)
Wipeout Fusion (PS2)

Looks good so far. Hopefully it's not rushed for the US launch. And if you think the PSP version looks jagtastic, the DS version would look far worse considering the lack of filtering and the lower resolution).

Thanks. So, Wipeout XL (PSOne) and Wipeout 2097 are the same game?

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Tenacious-V said:
Looks like something the DS could do no prob. Similar to F-Zero X on N64.
Seriously, this is a joke, right? F-Zero has no textures. And like ten polygons per vehicle. And no environments. As for jaggies, remember that this is a 4" screen here--unlike your typical screenshots, what you see isn't going to be stretched 27/32/60 inches when you're playing it.

Anyway, the design in some of the screens looks pretty solid, but hideous in others.

Great visual design:

wipeout-pure-20050125072045768.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072047533.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072046205.jpg

Hideous visual design:

wipeout-pure-20050125072045299.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072048049.jpg

Mejilan said:
Yes they are.

aoi tsuki

Mejilan said:
AFAIK, they're largely identical. i only toyed with the PC and Mac versions, but i used to own the Saturn import, which had analog control via the NiGHTS pad, as well as a soundtrack done completely by CoLD SToRAGE. It was also faster than the PSOne version, though the graphics and sound were noticeably lesser. i need to rebuy it because the NiGHTS pad felt a lot better than the PSOne's analog. Heck, even the N64 pad's analog worked better for me.

This portion reminds me of the first track in Wipeout, only completely suspended. It's also reminiscent of that 3D0 racer i can't recall at the moment. i actually like this shot, despite the lack of detail. Looks like a good spot for blind jumps.

Mejilan

Cool, I've been toying with getting my hands on the Wipeout series on and off for months now. Seeing as how we're likely to get a new Wipeout in the US before a new F-Zero, I think the time is now. Fanks!

MarkRyan

teiresias said:
I fail to see what's so "hideous" about those last two shots at all.
Mostly the fact that they look nothing at all like the best Wipeout games, which Designer's Republic made beautiful.

Techinically, they look fine, but they look terrible compared to the great Wipeout 3.

aoi tsuki said:
AFAIK, they're largely identical. i only toyed with the PC and Mac versions, but i used to own the Saturn import, which had analog control via the NiGHTS pad, as well as a soundtrack done completely by CoLD SToRAGE.

So the soundtrack was different? Interesting...

DCharlie

Banned
"It's no F-Zero GX, but I like it."

Wipeout has never been like F-Zero IMO.
I just hope we are back to the 2097 feel and not the "Fusion" feel
also praying for a kick ass music line up. :)

MarkRyan

DCharlie said:
This is true. Aside from being racing games with a futuristic setting, F-Zero and Wipeout have zero in common. F-Zero is more twitch, Wipeout is finesse. Wipeout's more technical racing. And Wipeout's about amazing visual design.

Or at least it was, until Psygnosis Leeds and DR got the boot. This is the direction Wipeout should be heading again.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
MarkRyan said:
Seriously, this is a joke, right? F-Zero has no textures. And like ten polygons per vehicle. And no environments. As for jaggies, remember that this is a 4" screen here--unlike your typical screenshots, what you see isn't going to be stretched 27/32/60 inches when you're playing it.

Nope, not joking. I don't see the graphical jump from the F-Zero X to this. Take F-Zero X, output it to a screen the size of DS's and you'll get similar results to this. That and F-Zero X ran at 60fps, this at 30? You should be able to get better than this at 30fps on the PSP.

No way am I bashing the game, just it's not that impressive for PSP. If this was a DS game it would be a good representation of it's capabilities. But from these and the vids, the DS could do that no prob.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
aoi tsuki said:
This portion reminds me of the first track in Wipeout, only completely suspended. It's also reminiscent of that 3D0 racer i can't recall at the moment. i actually like this shot, despite the lack of detail. Looks like a good spot for blind jumps.

Crash N Burn?

BenT

It'll be good, I'm sure. I'm just sad it's 30 fps. Wtf? Dumb.

(To the person who asked, the first two WipeOuts were 30 fps, and I don't recall WO3. Probably was as well. However, Fusion was a fairly solid 60, and it was quite pleasant to see.)

teepo

i don't see a single fault with these screenshots.

maybe because i'm one of the few people here that actually play the games.

aoi tsuki

FortNinety said:
So the soundtrack was different? Interesting...
Wipeout (PSOne) had Transvaal by CoLD SToRAGE. Wipeout (Saturn) didn't, but had two tracks by artists Poison and Cloud Nine which the PSOne version didn't.

Wipeout XL had only three or four CoLD SToRAGE tracks, and more licensed music. Wipeout 2097 (Japanese Saturn) had a full CoLD SToRAGE soundtrack. From memory, Messij Received, Messij XTND, Canada, Surgeon, Plasticity, Kinkong, and Tenation. Even though i liked some of the licensed track in XL better, i liked the 2097 soundtrack overall. It had a more cohesive sound coming from one artist.

MarkRyan

Tenacious-V said:
Nope, not joking. I don't see the graphical jump from the F-Zero X to this. Take F-Zero X, output it to a screen the size of DS's and you'll get similar results to this.
With all due respect...

fz14.jpg
fz9.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
"It's no F-Zero GX, but I like it."

I just hope we are back to the 2097 feel and not the "Fusion" feel
also praying for a kick ass music line up. :)

We are...according to the developers...

IGN said:
Q: What new elements have you introduced to the game?

Berry: The first perhaps most crucial element is not new as such, but a return to the very early days. We have abandoned the dynamics system from Wipeout Fusion, the ships are no longer 'locked' to the track, they are free to bounce and leave the track when you move fast over the undulating surface it is a throw back to the feel of the earlier games, that was one of the earliest decisions made and the game feels like Wipeout because of it.....hence the name Wipeout Pure!

Source

Tenacious-V

MarkRyan said:
With all due respect...

fz14.jpg
fz9.jpg

Point being? That game was outputted to a full size TV screen @ 60FPS. Take that same tech (N64) and output to a screen like DS and guarantee it'll look similar. That and with the extra headroom of the screen output you could beef it up. Like I said, it's not straight up clones, I said "similar". PSP Wipeout isn't spectacular, that's all I'm saying. DS could do it.

Amir0x

Banned
MarkRyan said:
With all due respect...

fz14.jpg
fz9.jpg

Even better, look at Wipeout 64:

wipeout_64.jpg

Tenacious-V said:
Point being? That game was outputted to a full size TV screen @ 60FPS. Take that same tech (N64) and output to a screen like DS and guarantee it'll look similar. That and with the extra headroom of the screen output you could beef it up. Like I said, it's not straight up clones, I said "similar". PSP Wipeout isn't spectacular, that's all I'm saying. DS could do it.

Watch the video posted in this thread. DS couldn't do this even if God himself was the programmer.

Tenacious-V

Amir0x said:
Even better, look at Wipeout 64:

wipeout_64.jpg

Watch the video posted in this thread. DS couldn't do this even if God himself was the programmer.

I've seen it. I dunno, just doesn't look like much to me. Surely not the "God himself" couldn't do it kinda difference you guys are saying. No way am I implying that DS is any match for PSP, I'm just saying if you guys think this blows away DS capabilities you gotta be kidding me. Take F-Zero X, change it to 30FPS output it to DS and beef it up with the excess headroom. You'll be sore to find a drastic difference.

Mejilan

I'm not too impressed with Wipeout Pure. Is it still early? It looks decent enough, but I don't think it's pushing the PSP too hard. 1st gen software, it's all good.

Well, I've got a slew of older Wipeout games to keep me occupied until this hits! They's on they way!

Amir0x

Banned
Tenacious-V said:
I've seen it. I dunno, just doesn't look like much to me. Surely not the "God himself" couldn't do it kinda difference you guys are saying. No way am I implying that DS is any match for PSP, I'm just saying if you guys think this blows away DS capabilities you gotta be kidding me. Take F-Zero X, change it to 30FPS output it to DS and beef it up with the excess headroom. You'll be sore to find a drastic difference.

I'm honestly in awe of this logic then. I can't even begin to think what must be required to see the world through eyes like these, but I won't mock you no longer.

I'm sure if you input F-Zero X to the DS at 30fps we'd ALL have a hard time finding a drastic difference between it and this! :lol

Sho Nuff

Banned
Some of you dudes are high on the happy sauce, there is no way a DS could handle this.

I think the second screen should display cool DR animated graphics if they would even attempt it. Which they won't. Because Wipeout is Sony's beeotch now.

aoi tsuki

i agree that the DS could do a "comparable" version of Wipeout Pure, but the smaller screen and lower resolution would make me pass over it for the PSP version. i was thinking about this while playing Ridge Racer DS. The 3D the DS has displayed so far looks like upgraded GBA 3D. It's not bad, but the low resolution (only slightly higher than the GBA itself), became more apparent in the later stages of RRDS.

Tenacious-V

Amir0x said:
I'm honestly in awe of this logic then. I can't even begin to think what must be required to see the world through eyes like these, but I won't mock you no longer.

I'm sure if you input F-Zero X to the DS at 30fps we'd ALL have a hard time finding a drastic difference between it and this! :lol

I dunno why you resort to sarcasm. I was merely having a conversation. Maybe not all of us are graphics whores. I can't see a graphical leap from F-Zero X to this, from say N64 to DC (such as Mario 64 to say Soul Caliber). The difference to me isn't drastic and if DS had it's F-Zero X brought to the same framerate as wipeout, you'd be able to do so much more.

"I'm sure if you input F-Zero X to the DS at 30fps we'd ALL have a hard time finding a drastic difference between it and this! :lol"

Are you comparing my analogy of F-Zero X @ 60 on N64 vs F-Zero X @30 on DS? or F-Zero X @30 on DS vs Wipeout PSP?

Top Bottom