• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wolfenstein: The New Order previews, screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eurogamer Video preview (new footage)

Polygon
The new Wolfenstein managed to unsettle me for a different reason. I don't get sick playing first-person shooters, but its display of graphic violence and Nazi-inflicted atrocity got to me. One sequence in particular from the game's first chapter disturbed me, enough to be convinced that developer MachineGames is making the new Wolfenstein a solid, old-school shooter wrapped around a chilling horror game.

Game Informer
I sat down for my demo recently in New York with a clear set of expectations. I knew that there would be Nazis (and a plentiful supply of armaments to dispose of them). I was aware of the giant robotic dogs and heavily armored stormtroopers. I came prepared for a world dominated by evil.

I was not prepared to care about the characters. I won’t kid you; Wolfenstein is very much a shooter dyed in the blood of its predecessors. You pick up discarded helmets and robotic armor pieces (manually, and not by walking over them), which somehow translate into protection for protagonist William “BJ” Blazkowicz. You find food and scattered health packs that immediately restore and “overcharge” your health.

Joystiq
There's little in the opening hours to suggest MachineGames' shooter is as revolutionary as its tyrannical fuhrer, not that the game is professing to change the world, really. I'd like to see more games employ its retro-coated take on rechargeable health, displaying the health in numbers and having it recharge in segments of 20. Meanwhile, a perks system rewards feats like killing two enemies with one grenade or making ten dual-wield kills, and it offers bonuses like vampiric health absorption and greater dual-wield dismemberment. There's a decent balance of feats I achieve naturally and ones I undertake more artificially.

Venturebeat
But this new Wolfenstein isn’t leading you by the nose the entire time. Every level in the demo branched out multiple times into wider gunfight arenas with several methods of approach. These paths are usually split between a stealthy and guns-blazing method of confrontation. Blazkowicz can traverse buildings making up a Nazi checkpoint by traveling across patios or rooftops, by kicking down doors, or by speeding down a zip line. Health packs scattered throughout the levels provide the only way for you to regain energy — one of a few callbacks to Wolfenstein’s roots.

VG247
As a largely linear, single-player-only experience, Wolfenstein: The New Order is relying on the strength of its narrative and the entertainment factor of its gunplay to impress prospective players and early impressions suggest MachineGames is both willing and able to provide references to the past while grounding its mechanics in the present. However, while instances of dark humour and allusions to gruesome events have no problem sitting side-by-side, the peculiar earnestness of Blazkowicz’s po-faced delivery often makes him stand out in this extraordinary world of deliberately unhinged Nazi commanders and giant robot dogs.

Push Square
Standard controls apply, with the PlayStation 4’s triggers helping to bring the weighty, well-balanced gunplay to its brilliant best. Speaking of which, the guns feel incredibly powerful, and the game doesn’t shy away from the destructive power such weaponry would yield. Noggins pop like watermelons when you snap off a satisfying headshot, and the outstanding audio design makes each kill feel even more visceral.

CVG
The shooting itself feels good: we used a trusty ol' assault rifle during most of our session, which can be dual-wielded, like any other weapon, for maximum death. The New Order mixes common duck-and-cover and circle strafing manoeuvres with a leaning system, which proves more essential as the game progresses - especially for stealthy approaches.

Running around like a tank is not viable, though standing still is equally dangerous: enemies flank from all directions and manageable tiffs can turn nasty very quickly. This, combined with immediate use collectibles and the constant need to scavenge for health and ammunition, makes The New Order a pleasingly old-school and often thrillingly challenging FPS. A Call of Duty shooting gallery this ain't.

Sexy GIF courtesy of Messofanego

wolfenstein_the_new_order_big_by_digi_matrix-d77fzoq.gif

RoW_Baywatch.jpg

RoW_Guard-Attack.jpg

RoW_MorePlanning.jpg

RoW_Stealth.jpg

RoW_Trenches.jpg

RoW_Uboat.jpg

rezuth

I actually didn't know
about the 14 years in a hospital
but that sounds pretty interesting, so this is a what if the nazis won WW2? Looks good though, hype rising.

Jharp

Wolf 2009 was such a fantastic campaign. Too bad about that multiplayer.

I'm really hoping this one is good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My colleagues who played it last E3 didn't like it at all. I maintain it will be good. I believe.

Sounds great... and bad, because here in Germany i will not be able to get the not-gimped version on steam. Might have to go with PS4 and import the game.

Mondy

Banned
Sounds great... and bad, because here in Germany i will not be able to get the not-gimped version on steam. Might have to go with PS4 and import the game.

I never understood Germany's attitude towards Nazi symbolism in media. Denying history isn't exactly the best way to learn from it.

Xater

My colleagues who played it last E3 didn't like it at all. I maintain it will be good. I believe.

I wasn't impressed at Gamescom which I assume might have been the same demo they played. It was basically alright, but old school it definitely wasn't. For that it liked it's storytelling and taking control away from me too much.

I never understood Germany's attitude towards Nazi symbolism in media. Denying history isn't exactly the best way to learn from it.

If you think it's about denying history (or that history is being denied) you have a fundamental misunderstanding how things work around here.

jonno394

I have faith that this will be great. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was on of my favourite pc games when I was younger so this is on my to buy list even before reading all these glowing previews!

Akira83

Banned

Because nazis and Hitler do not equal Germany?

We also don't go around proudly acknowledging Vietnam ourselves you know

Looks like Call of Wolfenstein: Hallway Edition. Might gamefly it depending on when it comes out, but good luck getting people to buy a Wolfenstein game with no multiplayer. Wondering if this will flop harder than TES:O for Bethesda. Probably

This looks like good arcade shooting. The trailer are hyping over dramatic heroic CoD/BF bullshit but the gameplay show dual giant machine guns/shotguns blasting through corridors shooting giant enemies so I can get behind that

I played it at the Taipei Game Show last month and I really enjoyed my time with it. The gun play is very satisfying and navigating the labyrinthine castle corridors with only a paper map (that you have to consult manually) to guide you was really quite awesome.

To me, it felt like a return to old school shooter mechanics without sacrificing what makes modern FPS games so engaging.

It had a really gritty, intense feeling to it...and that's something I feel is missing from most FPS that I play (Killzone 2 and Resistance 3 are shining examples of the type of FPS I really dig; Halo and CoD being on the opposite end of that spectrum).

These previews have me thinking it's a day one purchase for me.

Reynx

Every time Wolfenstein is mentioned I start to miss Enemy Territory.
This game sounds great though, hard not to be excited for it

I was musing to myself the other day if the new wolfenstein would have the strange vampiric/blood drinking stuff from the first game. And bam... there it is.

RonanN1

Banned
Looks amazing! Can't wait! :)

The New Order mixes common duck-and-cover and circle strafing manoeuvres with a leaning system, which proves more essential as the game progresses

Damn right! :)

I'm not German so I may have a fundamental misunderstanding, but isn't it more about not wanting to glorify the Nazi days, even accidentally?

Back on topic, I'm usually the last one in the room to drop this term, but the preview I read screams "narrative dissonance". I mean it's a little hard, even though you're shooting nazis, to reconcile "let's shoot ALL THE THINGS" moments right next to "helpless victim" moments. I mean I'd love to be wrong, but it feels a little like the project lead played through Spec Ops: The Line and got a little "me too" about it.

I'm not German so I may have a fundamental misunderstanding, but isn't it more about not wanting to glorify the Nazi days, even accidentally?

That is what it is about, but the knee jerk reactions caused by the taboo can be beyond ridiculous. To the point where certain phraseology is confusingly frowned upon ("Too each his own" for example).

antitrop

Back on topic, I'm usually the last one in the room to drop this term, but the preview I read screams "narrative dissonance". I mean it's a little hard, even though you're shooting nazis, to reconcile "let's shoot ALL THE THINGS" moments right next to "helpless victim" moments. I mean I'd love to be wrong, but it feels a little like the project lead played through Spec Ops: The Line and got a little "me too" about it.
More games need to take things away from Spec Ops: The Line, as long as they are the "right" things. Hopefully devs understand that Spec Ops was more than just shock value for the sake of shock value, which is an easy trap to fall into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom