• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Controller That Can Store Loadouts Could Be in the Works

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A recent patent from Microsoft depicts a new Xbox controller outfitted with a built-in touchscreen that can be used to track and display a player’s performance in a particular video game. As shown in the diagrams included in the patent, this in-development gamepad can also save custom controller loadouts and connect to social media. All of these features are displayed using the touchscreen, and the patent mentions compatibility with external devices like mobile phones through an app of some kind.

This new controller design is far from the only patent Microsoft has filed for Xbox over the past few months. Back in December, Microsoft filed a patent for a new Xbox controller with an LCD screen not unlike the touchscreen featured in this most recent document. This would be placed in a similar spot as the touchscreen from the PlayStation 5’s DualSense controller and be used to indicate whether or not the controller has been properly paired with an Xbox Series console. Other recent Microsoft patents would reportedly help players verify physical games for use on the Xbox Series S and enhance older titles through a new cloud-based streaming service.

xbox-controller-patent-store-loadouts.jpg

reksveks

Getting devs to support anything more than the norm is a pain so will be interesting to see how they would be able to do it if they do produce hw like this.

Warablo

The elite controllers already store two presets, no need for anymore. I guess maybe one for default, then two seperate presets would be better.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Could be interesting for ingame displays, but i guess the 5h 40 at 68% could become reality. The DS shows that gimmicks lead to bad battery life.
As does shitty battery capacity and overall poor design. But hey anything that gets users to blow 70 bucks on an extra controller so they can support long sessions on big games is a good design to some asshole piece of shit leader at Sony.

Yeah. In January they released Hi-Fi Rush, next month they are releasing Minecraft Legends, in May Redfall, in September Starfield. And also Forza Motorsport. And I'm rather not counting Xbox consoles version of Age II, GhostWire and Age 4.

LbUt WhErE aRe 1St PaRtY gAmEs?"

Oh.....yeah.....I'm so impressed, call me back when they have something that'll rival Sony and Nintendo's resume. Out of everything you mentioned, Hi-Fi Rush
(Excellent game btw) and Starfield are the only original IPs

Forza is Forza and Redfall looks mid and was originally on Playstation and Minecraft Legends is also on Playstation.....cry harder

The point I'm making is Xbox produces hardware more that High polish games. Stop being a fanboy, when is the last time Xbox actually had a title not named Halo or Forza that has sold 5+ million and won several awards????? I'm waiting

They were the first to campaign spending billions on studios and we yet to have one high quality title! Hi-Fi Rush is amazing but it's not a big budget system seller

Last edited:

Exentryk

Elite controller already allows loadouts. I'd rather no touchscreen because it would mean less battery life.

But I'm happy with the current Elite v2 controller.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
anyways idgaf about the new controller. Literally just add gyro and a rechargeable battery (that you can replace with AA) and it'd be the best controller ever made. all that touchscreen junk just consumes battery for something that isn't gonna be universal (will only work on Windows and Xbox anyways)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
anyways idgaf about the new controller. Literally just add gyro and a rechargeable battery (that you can replace with AA) and it'd be the best controller ever made. all that touchscreen junk just consumes battery for something that isn't gonna be universal (will only work on Windows and Xbox anyways)
Better bumpers and hall effect sticks too please

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Now if the patent would let them kick Cronus cheaters out legally by closing that loophole I'd be all for it.
I have brought this up many times here but will say it again.

Mike Ybarra and I had that talk a few times while he was still with Xbox that at Xbox they could see when people were using those cheats but left it up to each game dev to decide what to do about them.

I would always say if Xbox KNEW they were cheating online why would Xbox allow it and he just kept saying it was up to the Devs to stop it

Seems would be easy for Xbox to shut it down if they could see people were using them.

Nautilus

Banned
No it's not. That would drive me nuts. It bugs me when I only get 20+ hours of batt life
Then its a you problem. PS4 had a 6 hour battery and that never stopped it from selling or from people from complaining, here or anywhere(in a significant ammount anyway)

PS5 is the same deal

Why not have these options in the Xbox dashboard ?

Why have it physically tied to the controller with the LCD screen that's surely going to impact battery life.
I'd rather have a quick toggle switch on the controller to cycle through the different modes.

Cool idea but I'd forgo the controller screen for a simple switch.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Yeah that isn't a convincing argument
It's not meant to convince you. I'm just stating facts, which is that(as far as I can see) people are not complaining much about this.Not that I see anyway, meaning most people, myself included, is fine.

TheGrat1

Oh, uh. Interesting I guess.
I had an idea for putting a small amount of memory 1-2 GB in the controllers and the console being able to read and write saves to it. The new memory card that you can take over to someone else's house!

Top Bottom