• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Series S owner. Help me with some recommendations

Huggers

Hey guys. Long time PlayStation owner here. The last Xbox I had was a launch 360 which I enjoyed very much. I've been looking for a new console but the big two seemed impossible to find so I gave up and bought a Series S. Mainly because it was cheap and I've heard good things about Game Pass. It may end up being a stop gap until I upgrade to an X or a PS5.

Anyway. I'm looking for your must have titles. Ideally stuff that pushes this little system a bit. I've literally just got it and so far have downloaded Forza Horizon 4 and Grounded. Super keen to hear what are the must haves. Cheers for any recommendations

MS Flight Simulator is a nice showpiece title that runs better than anyone around here thought it would. Psychonauts 2 is getting rave reviews. as well. Game pass gives you tons of options and with MS's stance on back compatibility most of the last generation games run at higher framerates and better resolutions. Check out any Bethesda titles you may have missed most are on Game pass.

SkylineRKR

Gamepass has a ton of games that run great on S (and X).

Doom Eternal is amazeballs if you have 120hz, its one of the fastest and most responsive games I have played period. Ori is 4k/60, but also has 120hz mode. Gears 5 is absolutely rock solid on SS, it drops no single frame opposed to One X. It looks amazing as well and loads fast. Also 120hz MP. Then there are some classics, like Prey, Dishonored, Alien Isolation being 60fps on SS and load times greatly diminished. The entire Yakuza catalog on GP is so too.

Psychonauts 2 is exceptional too. I beat it this week and its 1680p/60 and also has 120hz mode. It beats the last gen versions to hell. And I played the RE Village demo. Its pretty impressive. It has RT, but at some weird 45fps. Without RT though I couldn't spot much of a difference with my PS5 version in terms of feel.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If it's still allowable (dont hold me to it).... get 3 years of Gold membership, then do the $1 Game Pass Ultimate upgrade after your membership shows you got 3 years.

You'll now have 3 years of GP Ultimate which has shit loads of games including first party MS games, Bethesda games and EA Play.

Most of the games people have mentioned are on GP.

Last edited:

elliot5

• Doom Eternal if you can handle that on a controller
  • Ori and the Blind Forest + Ori and the Will of the Wisps (wisps if you have to choose one to play imo)
  • Psychonauts 2 is a must play
  • Halo MCC if you wanna hit the campaigns before Infinite
  • Horizon 4 if you don't want to wait for 5
  • Dirt 5 if you want arcade but not a Horizon game
  • Gears 5 + Hivebusters (especially Hivebusters if you just want some graphics and good action without a long committment)
  • Tetris Effect
  • Various bethesda games
  • Various yakuza games (Primarily 0 and Like A Dragon imo)
  • Flight Sim if that is of any interest
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • A Plague Tale
  • Hades
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Descenders
  • State of Decay 2
  • Celeste
  • Hellblade
  • Hollow Knight
  • New Super Luckys Tale
All of these should run fine on Series S and are good on GP

If it's still allowable (dont hold me to it).... get 3 years of Gold membership, then do the $1 Game Pass Ultimate upgrade after your membership shows you got 3 years.

You'll now have 3 years of GP Ultimate which has shit loads of games including first party MS games, Bethesda games and EA Play.

Most of the games people have mentioned are on GP.
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

SquillieDee

Hey guys. Long time PlayStation owner here. The last Xbox I had was a launch 360 which I enjoyed very much. I've been looking for a new console but the big two seemed impossible to find so I gave up and bought a Series S. Mainly because it was cheap and I've heard good things about Game Pass. It may end up being a stop gap until I upgrade to an X or a PS5.

Anyway. I'm looking for your must have titles. Ideally stuff that pushes this little system a bit. I've literally just got it and so far have downloaded Forza Horizon 4 and Grounded. Super keen to hear what are the must haves. Cheers for any recommendations
Sunset Overdrive.
Master Chief Collection
Flight Sim
Quantum Break
Gears 4-5
Doom Eternal
Dishonored Series
Outriders
Prey
Sea of Thieves
Jedi Fallen Order
Killer Instinct
Ryse
Psychonauts 2
The Ascent
Halo 5
Yakuza Like a Dragon
Tetris Effect Connected
Gears Tactics
State of Decay 2
Control

Im pretty sure all of there are on Gamepass

Tazzu

If only this thing had a disc drive, I would run out and get one now even though I already have a PS5.

Gamepass will keep you busy for a long time but to answer your question, get Retroarch.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Thanks very much indeed for all the recommendations so far. I'll take all of them I to account. Looking through game pass I swear this thing is going to keep me busy for yonks. I'll definitely get Gears 5 next as the last Gears game I played must have been 2.
If Gears 2 is is the last one you played, I think all of them are on Game Pass so you can get caught up before you do Gears 5. G5 Hivebusters is absolutely gorgeous and super fun.

As many have already said Psychonauts 2 is a must play. Also try the Ascent, it's my favorite game for this year so far. I think only one other person mentioned Quantum Break, it was my favorite game last gen. Opinions pretty divisive on QB so you might not like it, but be sure to check it out because you might love it as much as I did.

elliot5

Did you already buy game pass? You should probably make it clear in Your OP if you did. If not, grab Xbox live for a year and then convert to game pass ultimate.
It would appear so as they downloaded FH4 and Grounded, both of which are on GP and GP was a reason to get it.

I also agree that you should let your GP sub expire, load up on Gold for up to 3 years ($180 total unless you go cheaper with Brazil codes via VPN ~$120) and then convert to Game Pass Ultimate for $1 or $15 if you used the $1 trial already

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The Ascent is one of the most gorgeous games I've ever seen. Get that off Gamepass.

Put any older Xbox titles you don't have on your wishlist so you can grab them when they go on sale. KOTOR I & II, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden I and II, Jade Empire, etc.

Some current exclusives are not on Gamepass and worth getting like Death's Door.

elliot5

I can also recommend Death's Door. Not expensive and a very solid experience. I enjoyed my time with it, but with so many options in front of you I would say you could wait for a small sale as you work through some other bangers like Psychonauts 2

Also check out the FPS boost feature, a lot of games are transformed by this and the likes of Assassins Creed Unity, Far Cry 4/5 and Mad Max are now superior to how they run on more expensive consoles.

This.

I enjoyed Fallout 4 with the increased framerate. But really OP, just plunder GamePass for any games that might interest you. Filter by your chosen genre and have a look see.
Problem is that hard drive will fill up quickly. I've only had like max 5 games installed and that was it but 5 should be more than enough at any one time.

Hope you enjoy the console as much as I did. She's a beauty that won't make your eardrums hurt.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If only this thing had a disc drive, I would run out and get one now even though I already have a PS5.

Gamepass will keep you busy for a long time but to answer your question, get Retroarch.

Why? Tons of games in the digital store on sale for $5-$15, or gamepass. You just have to wait and watch, just like physical game sales.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For something unique the TABS battle simulator game is free on GP. It's not a complete game as its still early access and can be buggy. The controls take getting used to too.

Google it for an idea what it's like.

I first tried it on One X years ago and it was sluggish, but they've done numerous patches over the years. On Series X, it runs much better now and they added content. I have no idea how well it runs on Series S, but here's a video I found (annoying kid video).

Robb

Gold Member
There's so much good stuff to play on GamePass if you've been away from Xbox for a while. I was in the same boat and it was kinda overwhelming.

Not sure if I have much to add outside of the recommendations you've already gotten. Though I recently finished Psychonauts 2, can't recommend that enough!

Huggers

But does it play PS2, GC and Wii?

Does this thing play PS2? That's mad. The Shield (which I love) starts chugging somewhere around GC, anything beyond that is too much. Tbh Dolphin needs a lot of messing with for GC and it's very inconsistent. It does play Batsugun on the Saturn though so it's not all bad!

Looking through this thread there's so much to be getting on with. I'd never even heard of Ascent or Death's Door and defintely didn't know Psychonauts was so highly regarded. And to the chap that asked, I did get Game Pass yes, seemed a ridiculous bargain.

Last edited:

twilo99

Get Game Pass; Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Hades, Psychonauts 2, A Plague Tale Innocence, MCC. That’s where I’d start, have fun.

Solid list, I would add The Ascent as well, its brilliant.

Forza if you like cars.

There is just wayyy to much entertainment on game pass, its almost overwhelming to be honest.

Why? Tons of games in the digital store on sale for $5-$15, or gamepass. You just have to wait and watch, just like physical game sales.
Lots of digital games can be bought outside of the MS store as well. Amazon, Target and even eBay has digital games for sale.

smbu2000

If you have Gamepass Ultimate (or xbox live gold), don’t forget to grab the free Games with Gold as well. Right now they are Yooka-laylee, Warhammer: Chaosbane and Zone of the Enders HD Collection.

(Xbox Live Gold is included with Gamepass Ultimate.)

SkylineRKR

I have over 20 games installed right now. I always deleted huge games I beat, like MCC (every time I beat a campaign I deleted it), Gears SP and FH4. I have Psychonauts 2, Ori, Tetris, Celeste, Hades, Doom Eternal, Killer Instinct, SamSho etc on it. As well as some 360 classics like NG2. Those games range from 1gb to 30gb (with Doom being the outlier), with those sizes there is enough space. Shit hits the fan if you want to have FH4, Halo 5 etc on it at the same time. You can however play legacy games from external, I don't do it but its possible. As long as the apps aren't S|X branded.

Generally I don't have much issues with it. I only play a few games at the same time and once I'm done they're gone. I hope more games will let you install parts like Gears 5. The MP doesn't require that much space, SP I don't return to anyway.

PS5 would have the same issue if it had GP. A CoD or NBA 2k fills up any stock HDD right now. But on there I do have external T7 for all PS4 content. X has most space, but X apps are generally bigger as well.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just a quick bit of advice coming from a Series S owner.

If you are looking for a cheap way of expanding your storage, consider buying a 250gb or 500gb SSD. I’d recommend either the Crucial MX500 or Samsung 870 Evo. The 250gb Evo is on sale at Amazon for £36, which makes it a no brainer. I use a uGreen enclosure for mine.

The benefits of this are that you can play enhanced Xbox and Xbox 360 games from the external SSD. They run at their One X profile, at a native resolution of 1440p instead of 4k.

You can also play Xbox One games from the external SSD, these will be locked to their One S profile however any that have FPS boost like Prey, Fallout 4, Dark Souls 3 and Titanfall 2 will all run at their boosted FPS.

Interestingly, some enhanced Series S|X games run from an external SSD in their enhanced form. Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Rocket League, Sea of Thieves, Halo: The Master Chief Collection and more.

Lastly, Digital Foundry tested various storage expansion speeds for the S|X and a SATA SSD is by far the best option. Due to the faster memory controller you get practically internal speeds (maybe out by 1 second here and there).

This is what I have on my 250gb SSD;

a3gadOe.jpg

Just my advice, as it will leave your remaining 360gb internal storage free for the games that need it (Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite etc.).

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Also, sign up to Microsoft Rewards and download the app on your Xbox.

You can get free money by playing games. If you actually go for it by changing your default phone browser to Bing and by spending 1 minute a day doing 3 activities on your phone, you can make bank.

I’ve saved up £55 worth of points since March of this year. You can spend this on games, hardware, Game Pass and more.

Last edited:
I've been looking at these because the X is not possible to find in the UK for some reason.

Is the performance on the S any better than the One X or would it just be a sidegrade rather than an upgrade.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I've been looking at these because the X is not possible to find in the UK for some reason.

Is the performance on the S any better than the One X or would it just be a sidegrade rather than an upgrade.
One X is designed to match the One S framerate (30fps 99% of the time) at 4k resolution.

Series S is designed to match the Series X framerate (60fps 99% of the time) at a lower resolution (mostly between 900p and 1080p).

The Series S blows the One X away in my experience and will be getting all next gen games, whilst the One X will only be getting Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite and then nothing else.

Riky

$MSFT

I've got both, Series S constantly outperforms One X, you don't want to go back to One X after a Series console. Plus there are already games like Flight Simulator, Medium and Judgement you can't play on One X.

Arcadialane

definitely an upgrade. Games will have the same quality from X to S, only difference is S won't have 4K and every game may not be 60. If you're fine with that than everything else is equal.

Even on the upcoming stalker 2 for examples, X and S both have ray tracing and everything else, only difference is X is 4k

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Put any older Xbox titles you don't have on your wishlist so you can grab them when they go on sale. Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Dragoon Orta
No need to wait sales, it's only 10 bucks ;)

Guardian Heroes is currently at 2 dollars FFS !

Top Bottom