• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the WIld Weapons Gameplay video

tumblr_oadajwNe691siygpno1_r3_500.gif

Yep, hopefully he's as expressive in cutscenes too instead of another TP style stare at everything Link.

He really look like a Disney character now.

Dr.Hadji

its 2016 and silly people still think that demo AI from the starting area of a game is a good representation of overall difficulty

Plus it's melee combat. The games with the most celerated melee combat in years (Dark Souls, DMC, and Bayonetta) don't have "smart" enemies either.

jmizzal

Good to have more weapon variety but combat looks boring, most enemies are super dumb AI.

This isnt Dark Souls, these are just regular villains thats out when your running around on the first area, no reason for them to be super hard

The game is looking soooo good

tumblr_oadajwNe691siygpno1_r3_500.gif

Yep, hopefully he's as expressive in cutscenes too instead of another TP style stare at everything Link.

This is without a doubt my favorite art style Nintendo has produced for a zelda game. They have constantly been jumping around with the console games trying to figure out if they want a realistic feel or cartoonish feel. With SS you could tell they tried to be somewhere in the middle, but it looked off to me. BotW hits the sweet spot. It just looks good.

Dr.Hadji

They have relentless enemies though.

True, I'm only talking about the "dumb" AI point. Zelda needs to find its own balance seeing as it's not a character action game or an action RPG. As far as difficulty goes, the rock boss hits hard, and the Guardian lasers almost one shots Link.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
NX and Zelda next March... Day 1 for me.

Forgot how good it looks.

m00h

Banned
And I will be playing this game on a portable device, somewhere in a park or in the forest, maybe at night. Damn, I love Nintendo for this.

Ansatz

Good to have more weapon variety but combat looks boring, most enemies are super dumb AI.

The groups of bokoblins are just there as fodder so you can experiment dispatching them in creative ways using your tools/weapons (think Bill's "project" with the explosive barrels)

It feels like every other enemy encounter seen in BotW footage is GIF material for one reason or another, that's what's so amazing about it. Like stealing the arm from a skeleton bokoblin and using it as a weapon to kill his friends is a hilarious scenario, it's just a fun thing to discover even it lacks challenge and you could've just as easily killed them with the sword.

KiN0

While the footage looks great, it has me worrying about enemy diversity. Fighting bokoblins and their variations got boring very quickly in SS; I hope that won't be an issue here.

Acrylic7

was the pausing in between Links attacks always so long? I know they were there in WindWaker but they seem extra long for some reason. I hope its just my imagination or something.

Shaanyboi

Banned
While the footage looks great, it has me worrying about enemy diversity. Fighting bokoblins and their variations got boring very quickly in SS; I hope that won't be an issue here.

They've shown one area, with half-second clips teasing other areas.

DpadD

Banned
This is without a doubt my favorite art style Nintendo has produced for a zelda game. They have constantly been jumping around with the console games trying to figure out if they want a realistic feel or cartoonish feel. With SS you could tell they tried to be somewhere in the middle, but it looked off to me. BotW hits the sweet spot. It just looks good.

I agree. They finally nailed the perfect Zelda art style.

KiN0

They've shown one area, with half-second clips teasing other areas.

Across all the media we've seen for this game, enemy variety has been restricted to the usual series staple: keese, bokoblins, chus, etc. I'm not saying these are the only enemy types in the game, and I realize it's too early to judge; but I'd love to see some monster designs unique to this game.

Across all the media we've seen for this game, enemy variety has been restricted to the usual series staple: keese, bokoblins, chus, etc. I'm not saying these are the only enemy types in the game, and I realize it's too early to judge; but I'd love to see some monster designs unique to this game.

Well, there was the Huge Club holding beast from the trailer and the mini-guardians.

The implication that high level enemies can one shot you quite easily or two shot you quite easily. Let alone higher level foes. A bit offtopic, best Link design since Wind Waker
Link%2Bface.gif

This is somehow exactly what i've always wanted Link to look like.

Damn right. I love what they've done with him.
I wonder what Zelda is going to look like,

AdanVC

The implication that high level enemies can one shot you quite easily or two shot you quite easily. Let alone higher level foes. A bit offtopic, best Link design since Wind Waker
Link%2Bface.gif

This. WAY better than the Link from Skyward Sword with those weird looking lips.

ReyVGM

I hope this doesn't end up like MGSV where the world is really big but it's all sort of same-y and empty. I know they said they removed towns for the demo but seeing the same environment in this trailer made me a little bit suspicious.

I can't believe people are still saying that.

Nintendo never ever said they removed towns and NPCs from the E3 demo, they said they deliberately were not showing areas that contained towns and NPCs.
The Great Plateau is meant to be barren since its the destroyed location of old Hyrule town/castle/temple.

If people are expecting the Great Plateau to have a bustling town in the final game, then they'll be disappointed and blame Nintendo for lying about something they never said.

Link%2Bface.gif

This really is the best looking 3D Link they've ever done. The LttP sideburns make me automatically associate him with the classic 2D Links and Saturday morning cartoons, which is the era that Zelda games were at their best. TP Link was hideous and SS Link was plain annoying to look at.

Yeah, the character model looks really nice. Link with a ponytail looks pretty cool and he doesn't have SS's weird lips. His eyes could be less round (pointier, like the pic below) and the close up of him shivering doesn't look 100% right, but it's the best Link model so far.

Astral Dog

There was also Thardus from Metroid Prime somewhere

Hastati

Looks fantastic. I hope I can lightning enchant my Zweihander.

Also wonder how many future pyromaniacs this game will inspire. The fire system looks like so much fun to mess around with.

Astral Dog

Yeah, the character model looks really nice. Link with a ponytail looks pretty cool and he doesn't have SS's weird lips. His eyes could be less round (pointier, like the pic below) and the close up of him shivering doesn't look 100% right, but it's the best Link model so far.

i think the best is still Hyrule Warriors Link, but thats the "realistic" type, more cartoony this Link is the perfect mix i just wish he had a smaller head :/

Most enemies? We only know about maybe two enemies so far? lol
There are keese, Bokoblins/captains, slimes, guardians/mini guardians, the rock golem, stalfos, and whatever this is
i think the best is still Hyrule Warriors Link, but thats the "realistic" type, more cartoony this Link is the perfect mix i just wish he had a smaller head :/
Hyrule Warrior's Link's shoulders are too broad, but it's pretty good yeah.

Speely

Banned
The weapons look SO fun and satisfying to use. And GODDAMN Link and the graphical style in general look so good in a "I always wanted this my whole life" kind of way.

I am an open world believer even if many games don't pull it off. I have faith this game will. I always wanted a more open LoZ game.

If I can play this on the bus via NX, I will never again stop smiling.

Toparaman

Banned
Link%2Bface.gif

Best Link model to date for sure. SS and TP Link looked good in concept art, bad in game.

Top Bottom