• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Phantom Hourglass Screens

Looking good, I'm really impressed by the cell-shading. But I'd like to take a moment to lament (once again) that cel-shaded Link has to look so ugly. It's such a shame that we'll probably never get:

Zelda_3_manual.jpg

Graphics look great. Dreading the game itself.

I would've settled for a traditional Zelda... with quick item swapping via the touch screen. But noooo, the touch screen needs to be used in all the wrong ways!

zigg

Chris Michael said:
But noooo, the touch screen needs to be used in all the wrong ways!

I feared it quite a bit myself until I laid pen on it at E3 last. It plays excellently. It's making me look forward to it considerably more than I would yet another same-old same-old entry.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Pretty good looking for a Wii game.
oh yeah, lets quote the whole OP and post an unneccesary comment to boot. seems like a good idea for a great post!

Error said:
oh yeah, lets quote the whole OP and post an unneccesary comment to boot. seems like a good idea for a great post!

I quoted it so you could look at the screenshots on page 3. And I apologize if my comment personally hurt you, I didn't know it was such a sensitive issue.

It's a joke my friend.

I'm surprised overall (and again) by how good Nintendo EAD can handle their systems in comparison to Third Parties. I mean, this is DS: a shitty ARM 9 + ARM7 CPU (but the graphics is handled only by the 67 Mhz CPU with 4 MB RAM).

The N64 was clocked at 97 Mhz. But the graphics of this game is far better then any N64 game. EAD knows how to make good games with very limited resources.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I'm surprised overall (and again) by how good Nintendo EAD can handle their systems in comparison to Third Parties. I mean, this is DS: a shitty ARM 9 + ARM7 CPU (but the graphics is handled only by the 67 Mhz CPU with 4 MB RAM).

The N64 was clocked at 97 Mhz. But the graphics of this game is far better then any N64 game. EAD knows how to make good games with very limited resources.

Do the games run at a lower resolution? That might be it.

This is a FANTASTIC looking title though. I can't wait to play it. I need my 2D Zelda fix. :D

Eteric Rice

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Yeah, S-E is good with it too. Dragon Quest IX looks amazing.

Neomoto

EAD never fails to bring the good stuff. Can't wait to play this on DS (and I have no doubt what so ever that EAD can make the touchscreen gameplay very solid if not great). Would like to see a new trailer though, and while they're at it announce ****ing Fire Emblem DS already.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
it is art more than it is technical mastery that make certain DS games stand out from the rest

Eteric Rice said:
Will we be able to play without the touch screen, or is that forced now?

Hopefully there are no other options. I wouldn't call it forced anyway, the touch screen in a primary input solution for the DS, so games using it primarily shouldn't be scoffed at, just as games using the traditional control scheme primarily shouldn't be scoffed at for lacking touch screen input, as long as it works well enough for what the game is and to the best of the DS hardware. I'm hoping this works well, and I'm glad they're taking such a risk.

Does anyone remember how much time passed before people got tired of making the same joke about the DS graphics over and over again ? It's obvious that retroactively, these screens, and those of numerous games since, would have made some excellent cases in point at this time...
But I wonder how much time will pass until people stop making the same Wii joke over and over again ?

Eteric Rice

Stormbringer said:
Does anyone remember how much time passed before people got tired of making the same joke about the DS graphics over and over again ? It's obvious that retroactively, these screens, and those of numerous games since, would have made some excellent cases in point at this time...
But I wonder how much time will pass until people stop making the same Wii joke over and over again ?

When devs start trying harder, I suppose.

Same situation, it seems. Lol

Stormbringer said:
But I wonder how much time will pass until people will stop making the same Wii joke over and over again ?

Until Wii games stop looking like shit? In other words, when Super Mario Galaxy and SSB: Brawl get released.

theBishop

Banned
Stormbringer said:

Don't get ahead of yourself. This game is still running on DS hardware, and it is NOT Windwaker. The game will probably be the best-looking DS game when it is released, which means its N64-caliber.

Wii is comparable to Xbox, DS is comparable to N64. Doesn't mean you can't get decent performance out of them, but no magic is suddenly going to make them more than they are.

ghibli99

Wow... this hasn't been on my radar for a while, since I thought it just looked meh/OK last year, but damn, it looks so much better in those shots! Can't wait for this.

Deku

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Hopefully there are no other options. I wouldn't call it forced anyway, the touch screen in a primary input solution for the DS, so games using it primarily shouldn't be scoffed at, just as games using the traditional control scheme primarily shouldn't be scoffed at for lacking touch screen input, as long as it works well enough for what the game is and to the best of the DS hardware. I'm hoping this works well, and I'm glad they're taking such a risk.

Touch control was perfectly suitable in the demos they've had of the game.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
my favorite zelda is MM for some reason I just liked how bizarre and how different it is from the the other zeldas. I like when Aunoma takes huge risk with the series and decides to try new stuff.

Im really looking foward to this game.

milanbaros

Member?
Stormbringer said:

If the wii follows a similar pattern to the PS2 we can expect a big leap from current Wii software in the coming years. But then the PS2 was battling it out with the xbox and gcn games for graphical supremecy. The wii games will only be battling with itself to people who seem to care very little about graphical power.

Deku

Banned
Error said:
my favorite zelda is MM for some reason I just liked how bizarre and how different it is from the the other zeldas. I like when Aunoma takes huge risk with the series and decides to try new stuff.

Im really looking foward to this game.

The single central dungeon concept is intriguing, if it works,I hope he brings it over to the next console Zelda to add some freshness to the franchise.

theBishop

Banned
milanbaros said:
If the wii follows a similar pattern to the PS2 we can expect a big leap from current Wii software in the coming years. But then the PS2 was battling it out with the xbox and gcn games for graphical supremecy. The wii games will only be battling with itself to people who seem to care very little about graphical power.

You will see an improvement mainly because 3rd parties are porting their unoptimized PS2 engines over, but its not going to be like the PS2.

There will be a nice bump when developers start working directly on Wii, after that don't expect much more. The system really is Gamecube with a faster processor and more ram. There are a few new instructions in the graphics unit that will add something, but the Wii hardware is not a mystery.

PS2 has growth mainly because the Emotion engine had a completely foreign architecture.

Eteric Rice said:
When devs start trying harder, I suppose.

Same situation, it seems. Lol

In the perfect world, this fad would die as soon as the rickroll fad (which is probaly very soon) , but I guess that we are going to have to get realistic and wait until the graphics in Wii games largely surpass the current graphic standards on the console, which will, indeed, happen one day. Hopefully, this doesn't take too long, because the interweb can only take so much of a joke before declaring it overused.

theBishop said:
Don't get ahead of yourself. This game is still running on DS hardware, and it is NOT Windwaker. The game will probably be the best-looking DS game when it is released, which means its N64-caliber.

I'd like to see the N64 pull of celshading of this calibur. In fact I'd love to see the N64 pull off celshading at all! (And at a solid 30FPS to boot. This looks way better than OOT and MM AND runs at 30FPS compared to the the 20FPS that OOT and MM ran at!)

Deku

Banned
theBishop said:
You will see an improvement mainly because 3rd parties are porting their unoptimized PS2 engines over, but its not going to be like the PS2.

There will be a nice bump when developers start working directly on Wii, after that don't expect much more. The system really is Gamecube with a faster processor and more ram. There are a few new instructions in the graphics unit that will add something, but the Wii hardware is not a mystery.

PS2 has growth mainly because the Emotion engine had a completely foreign architecture.

Not sure about that. GameCube was hardly tapped out either and it too was completely foreign as are all proprietary graphics chipsets.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I'd like to see the N64 pull of celshading of this calibur. In fact I'd love to see the N64 pull off celshading at all! (And at a solid 30FPS to boot. This looks way better than OOT and MM AND runs at 30FPS compared to the the 20FPS that OOT and MM ran at!)

DS can handle more polys on screen as evidenced by the Mario 64 launch title. The only thing it lacked was mip mapping and AA, but it still has texture filtering as the textures doesn't distort or warp.

ethelred

Magicpaint said:

Yup. Hopefully they won't tack on traditional controls at the last minute just to satisfy people who have their little conniption fits at the very idea of using one of the two principle things that the system was designed around.

I'm glad they're taking the risk, I'm glad they're shaking up a lot of things with the staid Zelda formula in this game (not just the controls, but also the layout and pacing, the central dungeon, the possibly more non-linear approach of exploring and getting sands) and I hope it turns out well. I know what I played of the demo was fun and I'm sure it's been improved beyond that.

TSA said:
I'm gonna be starting up the official PH (JP) thread next week.

Kinda early for that. The game still has almost a whole month before release.

I didn't see any rule on this and I did ask a week ago about it...but no response. I was going to start it when the Japanese Microsite went live.

It's not a month away, it's 3 weeks away now. Oh well, I'll wait till the week beforehand.

Amir0x

Banned
Cdammen said:
This would look so much better in 2D. The Minish Cap was an absolutely stunning piece of software and it had a The Wind Waker look to it... why use a fugly 3D engine Nintendo? :(

saddy.gif

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Peru said:
The WW-design is so much better than that generic lump of meat.

:lol

But anyway, the game does look much improved since before (maybe it's the resolution size). I'd still prefer a 2D Zelda, however. The lack of texture filtering is still a major problem with 3D DS games (well, for me at least).

Top Bottom