• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Phantom Hourglass Screens

FoneBone

This looks great (for DS), but I'm still saddened that we're never going to see another console game with the Wind Waker style, in all likelihood.

Luna104

FoneBone said:
This looks great (for DS), but I'm still saddened that we're never going to see another console game with the Wind Waker style, in all likelihood.

If this game is successful, I don't see why not. Nintendo will keep trying new things seeing as Miyamoto said they're unhappy with TP sales, although I don't understand that as the game had an amazing attach rate and will keep selling. what more do they want? they must be getting cocky.

hoqhuuep

screenshot_179661.jpg

Can anyone translate the text and tell us what island it is?

Maybe my kanji's off, but that's not Fire Island. It looks like "hi no tori" or firebird/phoenix to me. Which might be the name of the new ship.

I have no idea.

Diablos54

Luna104 said:
If this game is successful, I don't see why not. Nintendo will keep trying new things seeing as Miyamoto said they're unhappy with TP sales, although I don't understand that as the game had an amazing attach rate and will keep selling. what more do they want? they must be getting cocky.
Miyamoto was talking about Japan, TP didn't even crack 500k did it?

Deku

Banned
Luna104 said:

The concept of a single central dungeon that is unlocked through the course of the game will make a major shift from the traditional zelda formula, and hopefully mark as a final break away from the formula popularized in the 3rd installment of the series.

M3d10n

Squeak said:
The DS also has hardwired transform hardware and rather good texture compression (some kind of vector quantization (not CLUT) I'm told).
If the choice is between bilinear and N64 texture res OR pointfiltering and much higher resolution, I'm all for the latter.

It's all due to the DS GPU architecture itself. It's fixed-point-only (no FPU), so bilinear filtering would look bad for magnified texels (color banding and other artifacts).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Diablos54 said:
Miyamoto was talking about Japan, TP didn't even crack 500k did it?

It should be just under 500k now. It was 477k as of May 13th, and we haven't gotten any numbers for it since but it's been at least 4-5k each week since.

Akai

hoqhuuep said:
Maybe my kanji's off, but that's not Fire Island. It looks like "hi no tori" or firebird/phoenix to me. Which might be the name of the new ship.

I have no idea.
It's "Hi no Shima," which is literally translated as...Fire Island... =)

Lee N

Membre
hoqhuuep said:

I have no idea.
Dude.. it's 火の島 (Island of Fire)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
milanbaros said:
I think including GCN sales, TP will eventually overtake WW.

It already has. Dunno what the hell Miyamoto's problem is. It took WW a whole year just to reach 3 million. TP's at 5 million almost now, and just in like 6 months.

[Nintex]

Oblivion said:
It already has. Dunno what the hell Miyamoto's problem is. It took WW a whole year just to reach 3 million. TP's at 5 million almost now, and just in like 6 months.
I think he's looking at the investment and the sales. I'm sure TP had a much bigger budget.

mugwhump

FoneBone said:
C'mon, never? I'm sure they'll still be making Zeldas 20 years in the future, we'll get one eventually. :D

Believe.

Deku

Banned
M3d10n said:
It's all due to the DS GPU architecture itself. It's fixed-point-only (no FPU), so bilinear filtering would look bad for magnified texels (color banding and other artifacts).

Can you explain that for the laypersons.

M3d10n

Deku said:
Can you explain that for the laypersons.

Fixed-point uses a fixed amount of bits for the integer and fractional parts of a number. This means the difference between two numbers cannot be smaller than a set value (as example: 8-bit fractional parts cannot be smaller than 1/256, or 0.0039).

Bilinear filtering uses the interpolation (aka: the transitioning) of texture coordinates across the polygon to determine how much "in between" the pixel being drawn is to the texture pixels (texels).

On the DS GPU everything is fixed point, so there's a limit to how much you could "stretch" a texture on the screen before the coordinates starts "banding". It already happens even with point filtering (on very large polygons with too much tiling very close to the camera), and bilinear filtering would expose the problem on nearly every surface.

Visually, the affected areas look like they have that pixelated TV censor filter applied to them.

agent069

Banned
Deku said:
The concept of a single central dungeon that is unlocked through the course of the game will make a major shift from the traditional zelda formula, and hopefully mark as a final break away from the formula popularized in the 3rd installment of the series.

I don't think so, I actually think that, like in Majora's Mask, most people will bitch about that system and will want a more classical structure in the next game. There's too much Zelda fanboy that don't want their game to change for such a different structure to work.

It's very sad cause I liked the 3 days system a lot :(

So, I remember reading a rumor awhile back that was claiming that this game only had one big dungeon that Link could explore deeper with each new item he finds out in the rest of the world. Has this been confirmed? I'm kind of hoping this isn't true.

Deku

Banned
agent069 said:
I don't think so, I actually think that, like in Majora's Mask, most people will bitch about that system and will want a more classical structure in the next game. There's too much Zelda fanboy that don't want their game to change for such a different structure to work.

It's very sad cause I liked the 3 days system a lot :(

Majora's Mask was too far a departure especially with the 3 day time cycle.

This is different. Having one central dungeon changes the thematic pacing of the game which has some positive possibilities if this works, especially is segments of the central dungeon can be accessed in a non linear fashion.

The current dungeons structure usually involved collecting a key equipment in said dungeon and using it to access an inaccessible part of the structure and it becomes obvious that the solution to most puzzles will involve the recently acquired item. Having one central dungeon will make things a little bit more interesting insofar as moving away from the monotony of collect gear > user gear to solve puzzle > get to boss > use same gear to beat boss. Until we play it though it's all speculation. I'm very excited about this change.

[Nintex] said:
I think he's looking at the investment and the sales. I'm sure TP had a much bigger budget.
Well if it wasn't for Zelda I probably wouldn't have picked up a Wii on launch and I guess it was that way for quite a number of people who have bought TP. It definetly drove sales for "core gamers".

Apart from that I think with sales of over 3 million the game should already make some profit.

Polari

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this. Could be the shot in the arm the series needs. Stylus only control sounds like it will be great if they nail the implementation.

Polari said:
Stylus only control sounds like it will be great if they nail the implementation.

In reality it will be a horrible, horrible abomination that will scare children, kick dogs, commit homicide, initiate natural disasters, and bruise fruit.

Pureauthor said:
In reality it will be a horrible, horrible abomination that will scare children, kick dogs, commit homicide, initiate natural disasters, and bruise fruit.

I actually played it briefly at the Last E3. It worked remarkably well, but still... I just didn't think it felt like "Zelda". I mean, if Link is across the screen from an enemy all you have to do is tap the enemy with the stylus. Then Link moves over and slashes it. It's kind of like... playing Zelda with an autofire button or something. But Link moves around and performs basic actions with remarkable precision. It's... odd.

Branduil

Deku said:
Majora's Mask was too far a departure especially with the 3 day time cycle.

This is different. Having one central dungeon changes the thematic pacing of the game which has some positive possibilities if this works, especially is segments of the central dungeon can be accessed in a non linear fashion.

The current dungeons structure usually involved collecting a key equipment in said dungeon and using it to access an inaccessible part of the structure and it becomes obvious that the solution to most puzzles will involve the recently acquired item. Having one central dungeon will make things a little bit more interesting insofar as moving away from the monotony of collect gear > user gear to solve puzzle > get to boss > use same gear to beat boss. Until we play it though it's all speculation. I'm very excited about this change.

Yes, I hope they change things up in the next Zelda for the Wii as well... I'd like to see more non-linearity.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Oblivion said:
Source?

SCReuter said:
screenshot_179667.jpg

Such an improvement. The dungeon walls are no longer 2 feet tall.

zeldads.jpg

Dungeons seem definitely better now. EAD almost never disappoint.

FoneBone said:

I don't think that Zelda Wii will have realistic graphics, because Twilight Princess's sales in Japan are really a disappointment.

Personally I think that it is time for a turn-around for the Zelda series: EAD should do something totally different. Neither a toon-shading or realistic style. Something different and never seen before. What ? Do you ask me what could this be ? I don't know fo course !

GaimeGuy

I wonder if we'll see a blending of the TP style with the WW style and get something akin to Majora's Mask in Cel-Shaded form for the next zelda...

I wouldn't be surprised.

Jaagen

I think I'll actually import the Japanese version of it, when there's a translation guide on the web. With this game looking so awesome, waiting for november/december seems like an eternity(Europe march 2008?)

Jackano

Oblivion said:

The Miyamoto's problem is that TP don't outsell TWW in Japan.

And TP is (this is only my guestimations) over 4M worldwide (including both GCN and Wii versions). But we need more numbers about that :/

Some screens I think "holy **** that's nice for DS" and the sometimes I'm like "hmmm the DS is limiting the WW artstyle".

Some things like Link's model, and up-close walls, are pretty bad, but other shots are fantastic.

GaimeGuy

Jackano said:
The Miyamoto's problem is that TP don't outsell TWW in Japan.

And TP is (this is only my guestimations) over 4M worldwide (including both GCN and Wii versions). But we need more numbers about that :/
Tt probably is around 5 million, actually.

TP is what, around 2-2.5 million on the Wii alone in North America? Combine the GC version's NA sales with the Wii version's japanese sales and you have another 1-1.2 million.

So, across Japan and North America, we have somewhere between 3 and 3.7 million units of TP sold, I'd guess.

Factor in European sales, and you most likely are sitting at somewhere around 5 million.

Square2005 said:
How much do yall think this'll sell in Japan? 300k? more/less?
Less than 300k that it's a complete failure on the magical LanceStern scale, or more than 1 million which would make it a non-game! Either way, non-people win.

Alkaliine said:
Some screens I think "holy **** that's nice for DS" and the sometimes I'm like "hmmm the DS is limiting the WW artstyle".

Some things like Link's model, and up-close walls, are pretty bad, but other shots are fantastic.

The screens don't always look great, but I have a feeling the game will look fantastic in motion.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
GaimeGuy said:

You asked for a source and then explained it later on, dummy. :p

But yeah, it was announced during Nintendo's last briefing like a month ago or something. They said it was at 4.6 million during that time.

Nintendo updated it's franchise #s this past week. Zelda series went from 47m to 52m in 1 year. That's the last official statement of anykind regarding Zelda sales.

TP had sold 4.59 million copies worldwide as of April 1, 2007 on both GCN/Wii. I kind of stopped keeping tabs on it because there will be an end-of-year NPD report, along with the other guys, and I'll just wait for that to update the figure on TP.

PH moved up to #6 on Famitsu's Most Wanted list...I have a feeling it will sell more in Japan than TP, but probably not more than TP here in the US or Europe.

ant1532

Banned
TSA said:
Nintendo updated it's franchise #s this past week. Zelda series went from 47m to 52m in 1 year. That's the last official statement of anykind regarding Zelda sales.

TP had sold 4.59 million copies worldwide as of April 1, 2007 on both GCN/Wii.
Do you know how much OoT and WW sold in this time range comparing to TP?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Man, this game is looking PHENOMENAL, but most especially for a DS title.

I generally have a different level of anticipating for a handheld Zelda than a console one. I can't really explain why, but the console releases just seem rarer and more special, somehow. Not that I don't dig the handheld games as well, ports and originals. But the more I see of PH, the more it seems to tie into WW in ways beyond sailing and art-style, and the more excited I become for it! I'm also eager to experience the new take on dungeon-ing!

Top Bottom