• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newt Gingrich: "75 years ago the Japanese displayed professional brilliance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
CzG9guWVQAAhhBR.jpg

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/806620424796860418

0kX6Eaq.gif

Fun game. Imagine the GOP reaction if Obama said this on Pearl Harbor Day...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Brilliant but didn't wait for the carriers to return to Pearl Harbor before attacking? Pfft.

I literally cannot comprehend his motivations for saying this.

I'm not one to accept "I was hacked" as an excuse, but this seems pretty trollish.

EDIT:

Or is this a common thing for him?

Neptonic

Well he's not wrong, the attack on Pearl Harbor was impressive in it's scale and planning...

I've watched Tora Tora Tora too many times I think...

Hari Seldon

Brilliant but didn't wait for the carriers to return to Pearl Harbor before attacking? Pfft.

They got unlucky. Once they decided to launch the attack the carrier force couldn't exactly loiter in the pacific close to Hawaii before spies confirmed the carriers were there. They didn't have satellites and had limited fuel.

It was a very impressive attack by 1941 technological standards. The Japanese just didn't count on how fast the US could rebuild ships.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Can't wait for his 9/11 tweet next year. Should be a doozy.

They got unlucky. Once they decided to launch the attack the carrier force couldn't exactly loiter in the pacific close to Hawaii before spies confirmed the carriers were there. They didn't have satellites and had limited fuel.

It was a very impressive attack by 1941 technological standards. The Japanese just didn't count on how fast the US could rebuild ships.

Japanese subs knew the carriers weren't there, but the strict order for radio silence meant there was no way to tell the incoming assault force.

It was a massively impressive military undertaking that required a ridiculous amount of co-ordination and secretive planning.

It was impressive and brilliant.

But, if ANYBODY that disagreed with him politically had said this, Newt would drive them into the ground, because he's a hypocritical piece of shit.

Hexa

I'm guessing he's no longer in the running for any secretary positions. Probably for the best.

Had the carrier fleet not gone out on a run at the 11th hour, the war would have been much different because it would have crippled the US ability to force project for an additional year, and would allow the Imperial army to dig deeper and entrench themselves, as well as continue their own manufacturing.

A year later they showed enormous hubris and terrible short-sightedness when they engaged with the U.S. fleet at Midway.

Yep, and they may very well have still won that battle had Admiral Isoroku not gambled on trying to re-arm his planes with bombs instead of torpedoes ahead of the US fleet's advance.

His own hubris basically turned the entire course of the war in the pacific, as well as the US knowing that the attack was coming to Midway.

Tagyhag

Well how did it work out for them

This. While the attack itself was successful in what it set out to do, it lost them the war.

They didn't get any aircraft carriers, they became overconfident and didn't go back for any other critical objective

But that still doesn't explain why you'd praise the attack, on the anniversary of it, to the country that got hit. It was a war crime.

For a guy that claimed in the past year that feelings are more important than facts, he sure picked an odd time to turn back to facts.

I doubt Japanese leaders are praising our technological power on the atomic bomb anniversary.

FStop7

Banned
I can't even...

The Japanese declaration of war was delivered _after_ the attack due to Japan's professional incompetence and it served to even further enrage the American public.

The entire attack was ill advised from the start. Yamamoto warned Japan's leadership but they were so high on the smell of their own farts they wouldn't listen. It ultimately led to the fall of the empire.

Tojo was hung for war crimes. Not professional.

egruntz

shelaughz
I'm incredibly naive to historical events. Can someone please explain what's being said and why it's offensive?

I'm incredibly naive to historical events. Can someone please explain what's being said and why it's offensive?

I refuse to believe someone could be alive in an age with as much information at our fingertips as now and not at least have a faint passing knowledge of Pearl Harbor.

If you're American it's even worse that you wouldn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom