• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newt Gingrich: "75 years ago the Japanese displayed professional brilliance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

egruntz

shelaughz
Today (12/7) is the anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack from WW2. He's not wrong but the timing is horrendous.

Thanks. So what does Newt mean by "professional brilliance?" He's saying the Pearl Harbor attack was professionally brilliant?

I'm just still not following lol.

Not

Banned
Thanks. So what does Newt mean by "professional brilliance?" He's saying the Pearl Harbor attack was professionally brilliant?

Essentially for the first Dec. 7th in 75 years an American politician is publicly sympathizing, even in a small way, with an Axis power.

Kind of a big deal.

jfkgoblue

It may have been impressive on a technical and strategic level for the attack, but getting the US involved in WWII has to be one of the dumbest decisions ever.

Alucrid

Banned
well if the trump administration sends you to war know that newt is a-okay with you not having a way back to the US

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

It's goes with trumps "whatever happened to the elements of surprise"?

Maybe that's the point?

legend166

I'm incredibly naive to historical events. Can someone please explain what's being said and why it's offensive?

On December 7th 1941 Japan launched a surprise attack by bombing the US Pacific Fleet (minus the carriers) at Pearl Harbour. This brought the US into the war and eventually lead to the demise of the Japanese Imperial Empire.

You don't know about Pearl Harbour?

It's a dumb tweet but in context around the other tweets not as bad as it looks in isolation.

TheXbox

What argument is there that the surprise attacks were "brilliant"? Setting aside moral outrage, the U.S. still had a badass Navy after Pearl Harbor. If their objective was to cripple the U.S. fleet, they failed. And they lost.

What argument is there that the surprise attacks were "brilliant"? Setting aside moral outrage, the U.S. still had a badass Navy after Pearl Harbor. If their objective was to cripple the U.S. fleet, they failed. And they lost.

The US fleet was crippled, but not broken, it's ability to project was made limited but recovered after only a year, not several years like many in the empire had planned.

I'm incredibly naive to historical events. Can someone please explain what's being said and why it's offensive?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

He's praising the Japanese attack on the anniversary of the attack. A surprise attack that left 2,403 Americans dead and 1,178 wounded. It's be like a Japanese politician praising the US use of atomic bombs on the day we dropped them. Not a politically savvy move.

Dmax3901

Technological power, sure, but professional brilliance? What does that even mean in this context. The attack wasn't a great success for them and ultimately led to Japan getting nuked. Twice.

More importantly though, why does he feel the need to tweet something like this. Just trolling?

jfkgoblue

That was actually 100% luck on the US's part. The crux of the pacific fleet was out doing training exercises, so they just happened to not be in port at the time. If they had been in port, it would have destroyed our entire pacific fleet and who knows what would have happened.

CD'S BAR

What a very distasteful thing to say, regardless of whether or not it could be argued true.

Reminds me of when Karlheinz Stockhausen (one of the great composers of the last 100 years) said of 9/11: "Well, what happened there is, of course—now all of you must adjust your brains—the biggest work of art there has ever been."

Use some discretion for fuck's sake.

Lkr

That was actually 100% luck on the US's part. The crux of the pacific fleet was out doing training exercises, so they just happened to not be in port at the time. If they had been in port, it would have destroyed our entire pacific fleet and who knows what would have happened.
Was it luck or did they know to move them?

KraytarJ

This is even worse than that Smashmouth thing, and they didn't even say theirs. Like why praise that of all things???

RawNuts

And yet it's been only 36 years since Newt launched a surprise affair on his first wife Jackie, then displayed professional brilliance by springing a divorce on her while she battled cancer, and technological power by still being millions of dollars in debt from his 2012 campaign run.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If you treat everything Newt says like it's coming from a high functioning aspy / high IQ-low social understanding type it makes a lot more sense. Amazing he got elected in the first place.

newt-gingrich-auschwitz.jpg

I know he really went there but it look like he was copy pasted into the shot lol.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Who are we about to surprise attack?
He's suggesting the opposite. While being tone-deaf and praising Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor, he's also fear-mongering over the United States being susceptible to a similar surprise attack today.

Victory is delayed 6 months. Maybe 9 if they capture Hawaii instead of just striking. With a fraction of the war resources of the US they outmuscled the IJN and beat them back to the home islands. Japan couldnt compete with the shipbuilding capabilities of America in the long term, even if the pacific fleet was devastated more completely. They have no way of invading America.

Was it luck or did they know to move them?

Luck. Nobody at that time realized that the Carrier would dominate the conflict to come, and they would have saved the bigger battleships if it was a conspiracy. The sinking of two or three ships would have sent America to war, so realistically they gained nothing by having so many ships sunk and being on no alert.

Since the Smash Mouth thread just got locked, I'll ask here:

Is knowing the anniversary of Pearl Harbor really a thing normal people know offhand?

Lorcain

What an idiotic thing to tweet today. I know there aren't that many surviving WW2 vets left on the planet, but come on man, have a little empathy and situational awareness.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Since the Smash Mouth thread just got locked, I'll ask here:

Is knowing the anniversary of Pearl Harbor really a thing normal people know offhand?
Yes?

FDR begins his address to Congress, which we have the video and audio recording of, with:
Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.​

It's a pretty notable date for the country and it's specifically stated in a famous speech.

Newt is a weebo confirmed. Also explains the GOP-Anime avatars connection. In all seriousness what terrible fucking timing. It's like 75 tears from now someone saying the same thing about the 9/11 hijackers on 9/11.

Demoskinos

I mean if your looking at that from a pure military perspective sure the Japanese caught us off guard in a big way that really was a huge blow to us. However when your a public figure you know maybe don't tweet that out?

jfkgoblue

Victory is delayed 6 months. Maybe 9 if they capture Hawaii instead of just striking. With a fraction of the war resources of the US they outmuscled the IJN and beat them back to the home islands. Japan couldnt compete with the shipbuilding capabilities of America in the long term, even if the pacific fleet was devastated more completely. They have no way of invading America.

I do agree with this for the most part, but I do wonder if we would have been able to keep up the fight as well in the European theatre while being forced to focus on rebuild our 3rd fleet.

The reminders in domestic media are pretty persistent from morning till night. If you don't remember it, someone will remind you today.

I've never heard anyone mention its date. Not even my grandfather who fought in the Pacific.

It's a pretty notable date for the country and it's specifically stated in a famous speech.

I didn't ask if it was notable. I asked if it's a thing people know off hand. A lot of things are notable but if you poll the average person for a date they'll shrug. It's not like 9/11 where we literally call it by the date.

Trey

Luck. Nobody at that time realized that the Carrier would dominate the conflict to cone, and they would have saved the bigger battleships if it was a conspiracy. The sinking of two or three ships would have sent America to war, so realistically they gained nothing by having so many ships sunk and being on no alert.

That's just what they want you to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom