• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Ace Attorney Title in Development; Also new Takumi title announcing next year

Hope now that they have the engine and models, we can churn a new trilogy out.

Plus, always room for Gumshoe to come back now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I still want that physical release, too. AA5 (and any successor) deserves to have a physical release.

I hope they haven't taken their sales data and said, "Welp, looks like digital only releases are viable! Let's cut those corners, people!"

Seriously, Capcom. A limited release with extras. I would pay stupid amounts of money for it, and I know I'm not the only one.

PK Gaming

Capcom needs to implement boob physics i think. Gif would of being much better.
HELL NO

7cXbdo5.png

Heeeellllllllll nooooooooooooooo

PK Gaming

Eh, I'm pretty sure Aura had a little of that going on. No biggie.

Is there an angry Athena gif anywhere? I love her animations so much.
Did she? I don't recall, though I honestly don't mind.

But on a character like Athena?

Nicht!

---

I found a near full gifset of her on Tumblr, but I lost it. I can search for it though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did she? I don't recall, though I honestly don't mind.

But on a character like Athena?

Nicht!

---

I found a near full gifset of her on Tumblr, but I lost it. I can search for it though.

Maybe not. Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. There needs to be a full gifset of all the characters.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hopefully we get something a little more in line with the Shu games. AA5 was great, but not quite there.

I've gotta agree with you there. As much as I love AA5, it was missing a certain quality of pacing that Shu directed games tend to have.

Drago

Fantastic news! Hope we get more on it soon, hopefully a release by the end of 2015.

Reminds me I still need to get the DLC case, heh.

FluxWaveZ

I've gotta agree with you there. As much as I love AA5, it was missing a certain quality of pacing that Shu directed games tend to have.

But wasn't Shu Takumi responsible for AA2 as its director, which is often regarded as one of the worst AA games?

I suppose if it would benefit the game, I'd want his return to the main series as well, but I'm not sure just how necessary that is.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
But wasn't Shu Takumi responsible for AA2 as its director, which is often regarded as one of the worst AA games?

He sure was. And yes, AA2 has its flaws, and the cast/scenarios were hit or miss, but I didn't feel game itself suffered from pacing issues. Same with Apollo Justice, really.

AA5 felt a little plodding at times, and I feel some reveals/climaxes suffered as a result. The timing just didn't feel as tight.

Awesome news. I just started playing the first Ace Attorney last week for the first time and i ordered all the sequels after the first case. Awesome journey ahead for me and i´m glad they´re making more.

PK Gaming

I suppose if it would benefit the game, I'd want his return to the main series as well, but I'm not sure just how necessary that is.
I think Ace Attorney can function just fine without him. He was partly responsible for Apollo Justice, and Layton VS Ace Attorney wasn't that great (from what i've heard). I loved the previous Ace Attorney games, but I wasn't really fond of the way he characterized certain characters (Phoenix being the main offender).

DaBoss

He sure was. And yes, AA2 has its flaws, and the cast/scenarios were hit or miss, but I didn't feel game itself suffered from pacing issues. Same with Apollo Justice, really.

AA5 felt a little plodding at times, and I feel some reveals/climaxes suffered as a result.
?

If anything, AA5 is the fastest-paced one due to the streamlining. Only case that truly felt slow was case 2. They also shortened the investigation portions which were the slowest parts in previous AA games, and got rid of the fat in trials (in AA4) with the whole view evidence's 3D model and watch the videos (rewind/fastforward) crap.

Awesome news. I just started playing the first Ace Attorney last week for the first time and i ordered all the sequels after the first case. Awesome journey ahead for me and i´m glad they´re making more.
Ah, you're so lucky. You have so much awesomeness ahead of you.

Make sure to pace yourself though.

Valnen

Guess we shouldn't expect physical release...

Damn shame. I can't buy full price eshop games until I can be assured I'll be able to use them on any future 3DS hardware I might own without needing something stupid like a police report.

Madao

?

If anything, AA5 is the fastest-paced one due to the streamlining. Only case that truly felt slow was case 2. They also shortened the investigation portions which were the slowest parts in previous AA games, and got rid of the fat in trials (in AA4) with the whole view evidence's 3D model and watch the videos (rewind/fastforward) crap.

i actually missed those AA4 elements in AA5. i felt the game was somewhat incomplete without them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
?

Not during the investigation phases. They were definitely cleaned up and streamlined, no question.

I do love AA5. And the AAI team seriously impressed me with how much better they've gotten since AAI. There's just something about the Courtroom itself that seemed to move in a less structured way... maybe it was a lack of Shu's involvement, maybe it wasn't. Things just never seemed all that dramatic or tense until Case 4. And characters would go on long diatribes, lectures, or wrap-up morals (aside from big bad reveals) that just hurt the overall package.

Ah, you're so lucky. You have so much awesomeness ahead of you.

Make sure to pace yourself though.

Yeah, i´m excited. One Case left in AA1. But have to wait 2-3 weeks for the rest of the games, since i ordered them from the US and Canada, since i wanted to play them in englisch and not german. "Objection" just sound so satisfying lol.

The pressure he got to move the series as a mobile title must be overwhelming.

I honestly don't understand why they don't do both. You can even charge the same price for it by doing a free app + IAP case purchases. Doing the next AA as a multiplatform 3DS/iOS title would probably help Western sales and generally make the series a safer investment.

Are the AA games really that expensive to localize in the first place?

Especially from how stuff eventually went with AA5 (and from Sven's truth-bending spin on the matter), I have the strong feeling that the issue with AAI2 wasn't actually localization costs, but rather late-stage DS piracy plus the costs (and risks) of physical cart manufacture.

Hopefully we get something a little more in line with the Shu games. AA5 was great, but not quite there.

I honestly found 5 to be a far superior game to 4.

Bardiche

I'll get hyped when localization is announced. Hopefully we'll see more Gumshoe, Maya, and
channeled Mia

Maya will definitely be in
as the victim of the final case
Don't do this to me.

Hope now that they have the engine and models, we can churn a new trilogy out.

Plus, always room for Gumshoe to come back now.
Seriously, pal. I like Fulbright a lot, but I kind of miss our old underpaid detective. That said, Fulbright's character arc really did pull together in case 5...
even if it wasn't at all the direction I had been expecting, and basically requires he be replaced in the next game. Y'know, given the whole "being a faceless international spy posing as a guy who's been deceased for around a year, now in custody for two murders and a multitude of bombings" thing. Guess Gumshoe's chances are pretty good!

Ema'd be fine too, I guess.

I'll get hyped when localization is announced. Hopefully we'll see more Gumshoe, Maya, and
channeled Mia
Y'know, we are overdue for a good spirit channeling. I don't expect it to be Mia, though; that "goodbye and good luck" at the end of Trials and Tribulations seemed pretty final, and really, Phoenix is the experienced boss character around town these days as it is.

Zalman

Should we start spamming Capcom already? We need to get this game localized.

Also, do we have any idea how AA5 did over here?

Griss

Things that need to stay the same:
-The animations and art style from AA5
-The music quality
-The wacky characters and some paranormal influences
-Solid, tight standalone cases like AA5's 3rd case or AA4's 2nd case
-The emotion system from AA5 or some other similar system showing testimony with art next to it
-More great opposition prosecutors like Edgeworth, Von Karma, Godot and Blackquill
-Creepy 'magic panties' jokes

Things that desperately need to change
-Showing who did the crime before the case opens
-Twists that weren't properly foreshadowed
-Terrible overarching plots like in AA4 and 5
-Terrible 'villains' like in AA4 and 5
-Apollo's perception system
-Only ever having one 'right' piece of evidence when two pieces obviously make the same point
-Putting the lawyers at the scene of the crime when it happens so that they become as much victims or witnesses as what they should be - lawyers who are forced to do some detective work
-No more anime. Seriously, that was an abomination

I'll be there day 1, and AA5 was a great first effort in 3d, but the general plot planning needs to step up hugely. Last time it was good was the original trilogy

Zalman

-No more anime. Seriously, that was an abomination
I loved the anime parts. I actually thought there wasn't enough of that. The voice acting could use some work though, but it wasn't too bad I thought, apart from Klavier Gavin of course.

I'd have to agree that the anime parts were complete trash. The voice acting, the animation itself, the jarring difference between ingame and anime cutscene...just so much horribleness. It was so typical and unpolished, where as the ingame stuff was the exact opposite.

Griss

I loved the anime parts. I actually thought there wasn't enough of that. The voice acting could use some work though, but it wasn't too bad I thought, apart from Klavier Gavin of course.

I genuinely couldn't see how the voice acting could have been worse. Any more would have ruined the game. Especially case 3. There were some scenes there that were just so cringeworthy...

I suppose it's not the voice acting so much as it is the overly-earnest anime style of dialogue, with the weirdly placed pauses and vocal tics. You know the kind. 'We'll try our best, and with friendship, nothing can defeat us!' Then after a pause a character nods and smiles, and grunts 'huh!' in agreement. That sort of thing. I find it completely unwatchable.

It's also way out of place in Phoenix Wright, a game about reading. If reading is good enough for the main game, why use anime? If anime is necessary to flesh out the characters or to portray important scenes, why is it okay that the rest of the game including all of the most important scenes are delivered by text without voice acting?

It's contradictory, and it needs to go. Text and basic animations are fine, even if the main characters need about 3 more animations to get rid of a bit of repetition.

EDIT:
I'd have to agree that the anime parts were complete trash. The voice acting, the animation itself, the jarring difference between ingame and anime cutscene...just so much horribleness. It was so typical and unpolished, where as the ingame stuff was the exact opposite.

Exactly.

This is anecdotal, but I asked a buddy of mine at Capcom how Dual Destinies has done in the US and he said "surprisingly well" and that they're "happy" with the numbers.

Of course he isn't a decision-maker, but if that's true I'd say AA 6 stands a good chance of being localized.

Just thought it'd be a nice thing for people to know.

I hope one of the other things brewing at Capcom is a new Mega Man title. It's been long enough. :(

ZeroX03

Banned
I like AA5, and wish for more sequels, but speak for yourselves re: Athena. Was not a fan. As a sidekick girl she's alright, but as a main playable character she wasn't very good. Felt like a generic cutesy teenage girl (
with a horrible backstory, oh no!
), versus Mia who felt like an adult and competent attorney (
look at young Mia in AA3 for comparison
).

If AA6 or any future titles get an English release, I'll buy it on whatever system. Takumi games too. Was satisfied with AA5, and unsurprisingly being a digital-only title didn't hamper my enjoyment of it.

Especially from how stuff eventually went with AA5 (and from Sven's truth-bending spin on the matter), I have the strong feeling that the issue with AAI2 wasn't actually localization costs, but rather late-stage DS piracy plus the costs (and risks) of physical cart manufacture.

Pretty sure he specifically mentioned that the DS's lifecycle was a serious factor in AAI2 not coming over. Something about it not being financially viable on the DS platform. And if cost outweighs profit, the price of localization is an issue isn't it? Truth bending seems harsh.

Zalman

This is anecdotal, but I asked a buddy of mine at Capcom how Dual Destinies has done in the US and he said "surprisingly well" and that they're "happy" with the numbers.

Of course he isn't a decision-maker, but if that's true I'd say AA 6 stands a good chance of being localized.

Just thought it'd be a nice thing for people to know.
That is indeed nice to know. What is your friend's position at Capcom?

Pretty sure he specifically mentioned that the DS's lifecycle was a serious factor in AAI2 not coming over. Something about it not being financially viable on the DS platform. And if cost outweighs profit, the price of localization is an issue isn't it? Truth bending seems harsh.
Wouldn't they just have released it on the 3DS then?

Top Bottom