• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen consoles, no thanks

It all feels a bit rushed to me, I understand given the situation however it makes me think what had been going on pre pandemic particularly Microsoft and the lack of a big new release besides Halo in the launch window.

Think I’ll probably just buy some games for the current systems I own this winter/Christmas

Rygeist

Banned
Absolutely. That conference was awful. No real need to buy these new consoles. Hell I was set on a 3080, now I might drop the full $1500 on the 3090. Super disappointed with the PS5 reveal.

MagnesG

Banned
PS5 are gonna sold out for a couple of months. Not sure about XSX/XSS, but Gamepass is their big pitch and I think having next gen console would only facilitate their growth. Switch is the Switch.

I think the market is healthy as it can be, good times.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Absolutely. That conference was awful. No real need to buy these new consoles. Hell I was set on a 3080, now I might drop the full $1500 on the 3090. Super disappointed with the PS5 reveal.

Do it and increase my chances of nabbing a 3080 tomorrow by .00000001673%

Gam3rdude

Who the fuck green-lighted this cross-gen decision ? If it was Jim Ryan, he needs to go ! He just said earlier in the year that ps5 exclusives will be exclusive to ps5 & will not come to ps4, because "Sony believed in Generations !" And now this MASSIVE U-Turn ! 😠😠
It's almost like he got scared by the things MS & Phil Spencer were saying, like "anti-consumer practices" and shit! If this is true, he is a very soft cookie and needs to go !
I think the design of the PS5 was also his choice & honesty it looks like shit, as today we got to see it from the back as well, and man is it ugly!
What was he thinking ? Why would anyone believe in the 'Power of the SSD' narrative now, when you're also bringing PS5 games to the PS4 ! That nullifies the whole argument ! Major marketing blunder!

To add insult to injury, all PS5 launch First party games are 70 usd, and most likely it means all future first party games will be 70 dollars too ! 😠😠
What a load of crap !

Jim Ryan go, come back Shawn Layden/Jack Tretton.

WoJ

I'm mostly interested in a next gen system so I can move my base Xbox One upstairs and use it as a streaming device/blu ray player and move my PS3 back to my gaming room so I can work through that backlog. At this point I'll probably get a used PS3 or Xbone and wait for a year or two to figure out which library has the best exclusives.

Its not 1995 anymore. PC gaming, while still not as simple as console gaming, its not far off these days.

You can put lights in your PC. Consoles already lost before they released.

PC gamers after the new console announcements:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

It's especially true because he's crowning himself.

I will gladly welcome everyone to the PCMR.

BUT!!! AND it's a BIG ASS BUT!!!

What the consoles offer(both PS5 and XSX) is SERIOUSLY tremendous value for the price. There's isn't a person on the planet that could build a PS5/XSX from new parts for under $500. It's a lot of horsepower for the buck and that is no small feat. It's a good thing Gaming isn't a zero-sum game where we can have multiple players in the same field and everyone can have fun and be successful.

I just talked to my uncle at Nvidia and he said that the cards are all sold out, so don't even try to get one tomorrow.

.00000001674% for me!!!

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Any data or recent personal experience? No, "I built PC's in the early 90's, so I know what I'm talking about" statements.

I have three systems in my house that can play modern games. I've been building PCs for since before the days of Voodoo, Verite, Rage, etc. . I just have gotten tired of playing with Windows, drivers, carpal tunnel from M&K, etc. They are great for BC though, playing old games cheaply. I busted out Doom 3 DVD that I found in the garage. I even found my original Quake disc.

But go on and lecture me about how I have no experience.

Rygeist

Banned

I see you. I've been pulling the reverse psychology card in the NVIDIA subreddit for the past two days!

Honestly, I see the demand for the 3080, but I can almost guarantee anyone that F5's on the NVIDIA store at 6am tomorrow will be able to nab one.

Last edited:
I have three systems in my house that can play modern games. I've been building PCs for since before the days of Voodoo, Verite, Rage, etc. . I just have gotten tired of playing with Windows, drivers, carpal tunnel from M&K, etc. They are great for BC though, playing old games cheaply. I busted out Doom 3 DVD that I found in the garage. I even found my original Quake disc.

But go on and lecture me about how I have no experience.
So nothing recent it seems? I'm just used to people using old experience to say something negative about PC. Cause I don't know any PC gamer, with a DVD drive, in over 10 years or so.

I'll stick with PC for the time being. All Xbox titles, some good traditional PlayStation games, indies and a bunch of exclusives.

The entire PS5 showcase just solidified it for me, with multiple games having a big fat asterisk on them "ALSO ON PC", and some that were shown were full-blown third-party. There was almost zero talk about backwards compatibility, while I can launch older games no problem on Windows, which is something I do on the regular.

It's not even that this console generation is bad in any sense, but with so many of Microsoft's and Sony's traditional titles coming to PC, I see no reason to get a next-gen console. What do you guys think?

I actually see where you are coming from and can understand. I’m almost feeling the same mentality. I do miss the days when consoles and platforms had their own identity and games to really show off the architecture and give you an exclusive experience that you couldn’t get anywhere else.

I understand that more people get to enjoy the game and of course the companies can make more money, but it gives less reasons to try and own multiple platforms imo.

Top Bottom