• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Gaming Resolutions

Moogle11

Banned
Anyone else though through any resolutions (or plans or whatever you want to call them) for next gen gaming, purchasing habits etc.? I've been bit more mindful about my hobbies and how I spend my money and time as I've gotten older and have enjoyed my hobbies more as a result. But definitely still wasted money and time last gen, so have came up with a few resolutions/plans heading into next gen.

In no particular order:

1. Continue only buying games to play immediately.

2. Don't have more than 2 or 3 games going at one time. Generally only one single-player, story driven thing along with maybe a co-op thing like Borderlands with friends and something more casual for portable gaming on Switch.

3. No expensive peripherals. I tried to branch out in gaming this gen and at various times had a racing wheel/pedals/stand set up, PSVR and fight stick (twice). They were all underused and got sold off at a loss. I just like vegging out in my reclining love seat and gaming with regular controller.

4. Stick with consoles. I got a gaming PC in 2016 as I needed a new computer for working at home and Play Anywhere had started and I didn't have an Xbox One so I opted for the PC. rather than buying an Xbox. However, I just didn't end up using it as much for gaming as I thought I would as I couldn't get into keyboard and mouse controls, didn't really like any PC exclusive games/genres etc. Thus I just ended up using it like a console with an Xbox Elite controller. It's just enough added hassle to get PC games going on my TV vs. my consoles that I didn't use it nearly as much as I'd like. Add in current GPU and CPU prices, along with needing a full rebuild with my old motherboard not supporting current good CPUs, and I'll just get a Series X for MS exclusives and Gamepass.

5. Avoid roguelikes. Even the ones I somewhat enjoy that have progression like Dead Cells or Hades I end up either never finishing or beating the final boss once and not touching again. It's a genre I have fun with initially, but the combo of replaying the earlier easy levels gets boring and the randomness frustrating after a while.

6. Stop being lazy and buy more games physical so I can sell on eBay when I'm done to keep costs down/be frugal. I don't collect things and almost never replay games. Yet I got lazy the past couple of years and bought too many games at $50-60 digitally that I beat once (or never finished). While I'm not at all hurting for money, it's still dumb as someone that doesn't' collect or replay to not be recouping $30-50 after seller fees.

7. Sticking with the money theme, be patient on things that aren't absolute must play at/near launch as many eventually end up on Gamepass or PS+ and if not will be dirt cheap during some future personal drought between must play at launch games.

Last edited:
I vibe with #1, otherwise you end up feeling obliged to play when that may not really be what you want to do at the moment.

More than anything, my resolution is to only play games I have interest in and be able to avoid playing the latest and greatest for the sake of it. Too often I find myself stuck wanting to be “part of the conversation” and I honestly don’t care enough to keep up any longer.

Bankai

I though it said "next gen resolutions" as in rendering resolution :messenger_grinning_sweat: All about them dynamic 4K's and the fact THAT WE'RE BEING LIED TO!!!!! Argh!

But thank God, it's a positive thread.

My next-gen resolution is: less focusing on resolutions.

Moogle11

Banned
I vibe with #1, otherwise you end up feeling obliged to play when that may not really be what you want to do at the moment.

More than anything, my resolution is to only play games I have interest in and be able to avoid playing the latest and greatest for the sake of it. Too often I find myself stuck wanting to be “part of the conversation” and I honestly don’t care enough to keep up any longer.

Yeah I had a huge problem with that from around the N64/PS1 era through the first half of last gen (360/Wii/PS3). I was too wrapped up in forums, playing the latest and greatest to be there for the OTs, playing enough hyped games to feel I had an informed game of the year vote etc.

Ended up just being mostly burnt out on the hobby, wasting too much time and money on things I didn't love. I got out of that later on last gen and have mostly stuck with it sense and have enjoyed gaming a ton more since, all while spending less money while gaming more as I spend more time on the games I enjoy, play more longer games as I like getting immersed in long stories etc.

I was ready to bring my dynamic resolution takes. No gaming resolutions for me. "Just have fun". You don't need a creed or others telling you what to like. Enjoy yourselves.

regawdless

Banned
4k.

Joke aside:
- no GaaS. I don't like the "pressure" that they are generating with constant content, rewards and updates.

- support sp games if they're goody, paying full price.

Tranquil

No resolutions, I just keep playing the same way I've always been.

Play 1 game at a time. Whenever I see a game I want to play on sale I buy it. Never play the same genre of game back to back or you'll get burnt out. That's about it.

Play whatever you enjoy. Whether it be PS5. Xbox Series X, PC or Switch. Do not judge other people based on their purchases or enjoyment of a certain product or brand and do not twists truths just too feel better about your own purchase/choice. It makes you look like a silly child and it just ruins a positive vibe around communities.

I always been a proud owner of all 3 brands including Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo and a high end rig. I can't wait for my 2 PS5s to arrive next week. In talks with Microsoft atm to possibly getting a late Xbox Series X review unit, but not gonna count my eggs before they hatch. Once I also get some money a 3080 RTX will be joining alongside my Ryzen 12 Core 3900x CPU.

I love gaming and I love the industry I work in. Enjoy your time gaming while it lasts, because we all have a limited time on this planet.

Don't hate others for what they may or may not like. We are all in this together and we are on a verge of a new beginning.

P.S. 2nd PS5 is going to be used for a giveaway.

Last edited:
Trying to buy games that I really play, or complete some before getting new ones. I already have bought mainly used games / cheap from sales, but I still have like 50 physical and most of ps+ games waiting to be completed.

So maybe I have hoarded way too many games on this gen :messenger_grimmacing_

My plan is to get

demons souls
stray
little devils

and max 3 new games in 2021, and every 5 games I complete from ps4 library I can get new one.

=

I will probably hoard more games that I dont finish:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I keep my hardware as capable as possible, upgrading when I need to (I'm actually past-due for a CPU/mobo, waiting for the crazy shit surrounding the new hardware releases to die down a bit), and making sure they are able to run as fast as they can.

I also started waiting to buy games until they are a year old, sometimes older. The outliers are games I know won't launch with a ton of bugs, games I'm really excited for and Gamepass games.

A year-old game is usually fully patched and if it hasn't been, there is often a community patch available to make the game run better.

A year-old game is often sold with all DLC included at a lower price than the launch version with no DLC.

If my hardware upgrades are up to date, I can run any year-old game well and avoid annoying bugs at launch.

Ev1L AuRoN

I usually don't finish most of my games, when the next thing is released I just abandon what I'm playing. The truth is that most games are too long for me anyway ... I really love denser games where I can enjoy the whole experience in a campaign of about 14 to 20 hours in duration. Games I really like I play from start to finish right away, but most games I lose interest at some point ... Some I like to try from time to time. I finished Witcher 3 in almost 2 years playing ... I always come back and play intensely for 2 or 3 days, then I will play other things, a month or two later I feel like playing it and I come back to continue my campaign.

FrankWza

I like to watch movies or shows that are in the same genre as what I’m about to play, so I’ll continue doing that.
westerns before RDR, samurai films before GoT and so on.

I used to buy games because they were on sale and I figured I may play them one day... Well, not anymore... I have close to 150 games on Steam, never installed most of them, bought some used PS4 games, didn't get around to play much of them... I have around 150 to 200 games I got for free on epic games store, played 2 or 3...

So now I buy the few games I re really want to play day 1 and forget about the rest.

This is why I say gamepass is a waste, there is so much free or cheap content out there,not need for a recurring fee service that gives you access to shovelware day and date.

Moogle11

Banned
I used to buy games because they were on sale and I figured I may play them one day... Well, not anymore... I have close to 150 games on Steam, never installed most of them, bought some used PS4 games, didn't get around to play much of them... I have around 150 to 200 games I got for free on epic games store, played 2 or 3...

So now I buy the few games I re really want to play day 1 and forget about the rest.

This is why I say gamepass is a waste, there is so much free or cheap content out there,not need for a recurring fee service that gives you access to shovelware day and date.

For me, Gamepass is great for just buying a month or three around an Xbox exclusive I want to play. I don’t do online multiplayer, so things like Gears aren’t really worth buying for me to just play the campaign once. But it is worth it to me to buy a month or here if Gamepass to play that and check out other games while the sub is active.

Otherwise, I don’t have a bought game backlog anymore (haven’t since last gen). I claim all the free fames on Epic, Twitch Ptime etc, but it’s rare any of them are things I want to play since I’m mostly into AAA games and the occasional JRPG. I don’t plan to upgrade my PC anyway, so it will eventually be moot.

Thirty7ven

Banned
My thing is, buy the hardware you like and then if you can afford to support developers by buying full priced games then do it, if not, wait for games to drop down in price or if you're tight on scratch, sub to a service.

MiguelItUp

I vibe with 1 hard. Of course I never bashed people for buying every single new game when it comes out. But on days where there are multiple releases, it's ROUGH for me to juggle. It's inevitable for one to be put in the backlog and then never gets picked back up. I just take them one at a time, it's better on the wallet, and time! :)

Top Bottom