• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen is Coming, But you All Need to be Patient

Hello everyone,

As we all know next gen is coming in the next 5 to 6 months. I know everyone is excited, I know everyone is concerned and I know everyone wants too see the big guns. And that's totally fine, you have the complete right to be as a true fan.

However, what some of you you need to realize (some of you already do, but I won't mention names here) is that you guys and gals really need to stay calm.

These things do not happen overnight, and these things are also a business and when it comes to $$$ everything is planned specifically for the biggest and most impactful financial gain as possible.

We're also dealing with a world pandemic so things that were either originally planned are now either postponed or not happening for different reasons and reasons that we won't know.

I keep seeing people being upset or disappointed that they didn't get their AAA announcement on a specific day or at a specific show or whatever. I guess people forgot that usually that stuff ALWAYS happens in June every year at E3?

With E3 canceled that doesn't mean that you'll be getting them later or sooner (with exception of Microsoft 1st party, but I think that's more to do with the pandemic more than anything and is just only 1 month off the regular schedule).

I've worked/still work in this industry and I've been around for the last 7 years and been to every E3 2013 (Yes, the amazing Sony PS4 physical reveal with FF 15 and KH3 announcements and all the way to the $499 Microsoft Xbox one price announcement days/conference) met a lot of amazing passionate people, seen lots of interesting stuff both on the good side and bad and had some of the coolest experiences, but anyway, this is not really about me but rather about the community here at NeoGaf.

I want too see Halo Infinite just as much as any fan, I want too see Fable and whatever else they have cooking. I want too see the new games Sony are making, and as the biggest Miyazaki fanboy I can't wait too see and play Elden Ring.

But I know that these things need to be shown when they are ready and not be rushed just so the fans can see it and then criticize it and make the next whiny thread that the game looks shit or unfinished.

Let me give you a funny analogy. If you are say a professional bodybuilder nobody really sees how hard you work on your body and how much you struggle to est and train. You only get 1 chance to show yourself off and show what all that hard work into. No one sees you working and sweating hard , you only get 1 single chance to show everyone what you have done. When it's time to step on that Mr Olympia stage or any other professional BB competition that's the ONLY time you'll have the ever impress people.

This is the same thing, hard working developers, coders, animators, artists are working their ass off day and night to get a product out in time and showcase it to the world and make sure it's perfect as it can be.

You really think these people want to make you wait longer to show of their stuff? I'd argue you that they are more excited to show case it than you are to see it.

Take it with someone from experience. Constantly crying about silly stuff like cross-gen this, cross-gen that, console wars, fps this and fps that won't really help anyone. Whether you prefer a specific brand or a piece of hardware, that's fine and it's your choice and everyone is different, but coming in shitting on others is not making this wait any more fun or easier for other people. We are all just gamers, we may enjoy same games and may not, we are human.

Believe me, stuff is coming, we are almost there, you just need to sit down and hold on a little longer and tighter to your gaming chairs.

Last edited:
you just need to sit down and hold on a little longer and tighter to your gaming chairs

giphy.gif

However, what some of you you need to realize (some of you already do, but I won't mention names here) is that you guys and gals really need to stay calm.

Name 'em. Let's get epic.

These things do not happen overnight, and these things are also a business and when it comes to $$$ everything is planned specifically for the biggest and most impactful financial gain as possible.

I definitely agree with you, but I honestly don't know exactly who you are talking to? I don't see much talk about having to wait longer than usual, I think most of us know when E3 usually is and that the upcoming reveal events coincide with that. There is a lot of talk about disappointing reveals so far, not that reveals are taking longer than usual, right?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

i don't care about the leaks, never cared about stories and characters in ND games to begin with, i'm here for the gameplay.

In that case I think you'll love it, because the gameplay looks excellent. Its kinda like Just Cause 3 and 4 for me, I'm not playing for the story lol.

GHG

We have tlou2, tsushima, cyberpunk and probably other great games before nextgen, i can perfectly wait until they are ready.

Cyberpunk will run like absolute trash on the baseline current gen consoles.

But yeh there are still a few games to look forward to and I'm sure everyone has a sizable backlog.

leo-j

Mhm the thing is we already had legit gameplay and all that by February in 2013. It’s almost June and not a single thing has been shown for ps5. (The Xbox showcase wasn’t impressive, most of those games looked like ps4 pro/one x games).

GHG

Mhm the thing is we already had legit gameplay and all that by February in 2013. It’s almost June and not a single thing has been shown for ps5. (The Xbox showcase wasn’t impressive, most of those games looked like ps4 pro/one x games).

The mid gen refreshes have diluted the impact somewhat.

There's been a gradual progression as the generation has gone on so the jump won't appear to be as significant as it would if we were going from the base PS4 and Xbox One to next gen.

Mr Hyde

I'm not concerned. I've been through 5 console generations and they all play out the same. Cross-gen first 2 years before developers can take advantage of the system. Mediocre launch lineup that acts like tech demos. Crying on the internet which games have best resolution and which console is the best. Rinse and repeat.

They should delay next gen imo.

With this pandemic tragedy, people have other priorities. They will lost sales imo.

Stick with your consoles, i bet you have a lot of games to play and discover new ones.

GenericUser

I'm patient, I don't expect proper next gen games to arrive before 3 yrs from now on. Making games is pretty time consuming.

teezzy

Banned
We're in the middle of a pandemic and people need something they can actually look forward to. No harm, no foul.

I have plenty of games I already own to play in the meantime, but I'm as excited as an adult could be to get my hands on a Series X.

GreenAlien

They should delay next gen imo.

With this pandemic tragedy, people have other priorities. They will lost sales imo.
That would be worse for the economy than some "lost sales".
And the developers kind of need the money too. What are they supposed to do when their next-gen games are ready and there is no next-gen console?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like we're being told off here and that we should sit down and think about what we've done :messenger_neutral:

dottme

I can wait. But if you‘re going to tease me something big is coming, this year, I’m expecting nextgen news.
The current gen is already on its way out.

That would be worse for the economy than some "lost sales".
And the developers kind of need the money too. What are they supposed to do when their next-gen games are ready and there is no next-gen console?

You have a point about the economy, but i was talking about priority...
Next year is not too far. They should do that! Not now, THIS year...

Last edited:

GymWolf

...that's even worse.
meh, i love slow and brutal tps and this time they add some flavour to the stealth with the dogs and prone position (not much i know).

also they always promise great enemy IA with every game and even if i don't fully believe them, i'm a sucker for games with good IA.

also graphics, animations and digital acting are gonna be best of the gen most probably.

let's say that it is not a game with only the plot as an attractive point for gamers.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Cyberpunk will run like absolute trash on the baseline current gen consoles.

But yeh there are still a few games to look forward to and I'm sure everyone has a sizable backlog.
that's why i have a pc, i was not talking about gamers in general, just about my personal situation.

Reactions: GHG

Moogle11

Banned
We have tlou2, tsushima, cyberpunk and probably other great games before nextgen, i can perfectly wait until they are ready.

Same. And I'm still on a 1080p TV and receiver. I'm really not in a hurry for next gen. Too much financial uncertainty with COVID-19 to think about upgrading all that stuff and buying a next gen console right now, and plenty to play on current gen stuff with remaining releases and I figure a lot of games will be cross gen for the first year or two of next gen.

I'm in no hurry unless there are some absolutely killer next gen exclusives.

Top Bottom