• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

What does this mean in laymens terms?

The previous rumor was cut down cache vs desktop Ryzen 3000, as 32MB is a lot of expensive cache.

The benefit is a larger buffer from main memory latency, as CPUs care more about latency than GPUs do, and higher speed memory tends to come with a converse increase in latency

c3-figure1-chart-v3.png

I also got this:

So it sounds like they're doing all they can to squeeze as much Zen 2 performance in here as possible and not cut back too much

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Could match some leaks or even surpass maybe?
The previous rumor was cut down cache vs desktop Ryzen 3000, as 32MB is a lot of expensive cache.

The benefit is a larger buffer from main memory latency, as CPUs care more about latency than GPUs do, and higher speed memory tends to come with a converse increase in latency

c3-figure1-chart-v3.png

I also got this:

So it sounds like they're doing all they can to squeeze as much Zen 2 performance in here as possible and not cut back too much

My bad, I mistook the 32 number to be the amount of RAM.

I'm intrigued and excited. But i won't sell my dual ps2 scart + framemeister/ossc + Mcable setup until i get to test out that native bc in person.

If they really do it and it's as nice as my real hardware setup they can take my fucking money.jpg day 1.

Fake

Ugh. 1.6Ghz base clock SUCKS BALLS. I understand why they're doing this for a console but still. This thing better run at the boost clock 99.9% of the time :messenger_angry:
My guess is PS5 games will operate at the boost/max clock while the PS4 due to the BC nature will run at 1.6 GHz. The max clock is still impressive for a console.

MadAnon

Via Reee-, via Planet3dNow(German 3d site with user Bomby who interacts with Komachi's Twitter circle):

---

Flute(Gonzalo, Oberon, Ariel) has 32MB L3 cache in this updated listing.
I'm still trying to figure out what is Navi 10 Lite. Is it the 36cu version of 5700 series? It's certainly something 5700 based.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Imagine a game like GTA (no i don't work for R*, nor do I know what they're working on) with a virtually endless pool of memory instantly accessible and what that'd mean for how lifelike the city would feel in every sense of the word.

It's not only the fact that every console will have solid state storage, it's the fact that they'll have the same storage. Meaning, the read- and writetimes will always be the same. That allows you to basically model the real world in a game since you know every machine will run it the exact same way. THAT is the true revolution here and an advantage console exclusives will hold over PC games for quite some time.
It's great to see another person as incredibly intelligent and handsome as me around here!

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
I'm still trying to figure out what is Navi 10 Lite. Is it the 36cu version of 5700 series? It's certainly something 5700 based.
surely based on 5700 but remember the leak is way back when 5700 was being baked so that's what they had at the time to test, next gen is either (minimum) 5700 perf or a 5800 variant.

THE:MILKMAN

Is that gpu clock?

Apparently. We know PS4 is 800MHz and Pro is 911MHz so it stands to reason 2GHz would be for PS5.

How true it turns out to be will be interesting to see.

ETA: Sorry brain fade. The same does apply to the CPU in the sense we know with the Pro it was 1.6GHz 'base' and 2.093GHz 'boost' so I assume the same will apply to Oberon if it is PS5?

Last edited:

Fake

Apparently. We know PS4 is 800MHz and Pro is 911MHz so it stands to reason 2GHz would be for PS5.

In that quote I was talking about CPU clock, but I really remember right that tweet. Even Rich from DF talked about that and what the devkit design could say about those high clocks from both cpu and gpu.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Basically what LordOfChaos LordOfChaos said. Additionally, AMD refers to it as "Game Cache". Here's a decent article about it.
16703_amd-zen2-caches-perf.jpg

Effect of increasing memory speed vs doubling L3 Cache on Ryzen 3000-series CPUs.
Baseline = Ryzen 3000-series CPU with 50% L3 cache disabled & memory at DDR4-2667.

---
Additional context. If the 32MB game cache is left intact, then many of our users here will have to rework their miraculous multiplication for available die size for additional CUs.
My guess is the devkit is the full 40CU and retail will be 36CU with Oberon's 2GHz clock speed. Completely pulled from my ass based on their BC patents/approach, Benji's 13TF dev kit leak, and Apisak's 20K+ overall Fire Strike score. RX 5700 BIOS flashed to 5700 XT and OC'd is basically a stock 5700 XT. RX 5700+Ryzen 5 2600/3600 is easy 20K+ overall score. Vega 64+Ryzen 5 2600 = 20K+. 13TF Navi with 3600 CPU would be upwards of 24K.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Ugh. 1.6Ghz base clock SUCKS BALLS. I understand why they're doing this for a console but still. This thing better run at the boost clock 99.9% of the time :messenger_angry:

1.6GHz would be the base clock for the CPU in PS4 Base mode, it should be a lot higher for PS5 software.

CPU:
1.6GHz = PS4 Base BC
2.1GhHz = PS4 Pro BC
3.0-3.2GHz = PS5 (Approx.)

GPU:
800MHz = PS4 Base BC
911MHz = PS4 Pro BC
1500-2000MHz = PS5 (Approx.)

having a GPU that is close to 2Ghz with a CPU that is 1.8Ghz doesn't make sense. Having a 3.2Ghz CPU would be decent,, but that's the same clock speed as the xbox 360 cpu and PS3 Cell cpu. I hope the ps5 and scarlett Cpu reach close to 4Ghz.

Also as far as scarlett being slightly less powerful than ps5 being all doom and gloom,......uh nothing is stopping ps4 pro sales from xbox one x sales despite one x being more powerful. Its always about good quality games-particularly exclusives with great creative content.

LordOfChaos

I'm still not sure how I feel about the low base clock in a lot of these rumors. Boost has changed a lot of things since most generations of consoles, but I still think of them as excelling at deterministic performance, you know what you're getting second by second. Ideally "base clock" is a PS4 mode as mentioned (but then, no Pro level patches?), but nothing really confirms or indicates that.

They could make this work by maybe forcing dev targets to only guarantee the base clock, so any boost over it is just a bonus that smooths out performance, but then this leaves overhead that may have been used for hitting higher frame rate targets or more simulation. Like, rather than 2.2GHz base with 3.3GHz boost, I would think steady state performance of 3GHz would be preferable as then a developer can exploit it all. They don't have to disable boost for that extra bonus, but closing as much of the gap as possible between base and boost seems preferable.

whats with all this "boost mode" talk? How will average non-tech savy gamer enable 'boost mode' by actually increasing the frequency of the cpu and the gpu?

enabling boost mode in pc's requires careful monitoring of the temperature and a whole host of other things. In video games, 'performance mode' is usually increase in framerate (60fps) at the cost of resolution. Your meaning to tell me that ps5 along with scarlett can do boost mode of 8k at 30fps? or 4k at 120hz?

LordOfChaos

whats with all this "boost mode" talk? How will average non-tech savy gamer enable 'boost mode' by actually increasing the frequency of the cpu and the gpu?

enabling boost mode in pc's requires careful monitoring of the temperature and a whole host of other things. In video games, 'performance mode' is usually increase in framerate (60fps) at the cost of resolution. Your meaning to tell me that ps5 along with scarlett can do boost mode of 8k at 30fps? or 4k at 120hz?

The Pro already has one.

It's nothing but a toggle, if a game doesn't like it, turn it off, you of course don't have to monitor temperatures or anything. All it means is enabling some of the Pros extra clocks on unpatched PS4 games, not driving the system past its thermal limits obviously.
ps4-pro-boost.jpg

To the last two questions...No? Who said that?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I'm still not sure how I feel about the low base clock in a lot of these rumors. Boost has changed a lot of things since most generations of consoles, but I still think of them as excelling at deterministic performance, you know what you're getting second by second. Ideally "base clock" is a PS4 mode as mentioned (but then, no Pro level patches?), but nothing really confirms or indicates that.

They could make this work by maybe forcing dev targets to only guarantee the base clock, so any boost over it is just a bonus that smooths out performance, but then this leaves overhead that may have been used for hitting higher frame rate targets or more simulation. Like, rather than 2.2GHz base with 3.3GHz boost, I would think steady state performance of 3GHz would be preferable as then a developer can exploit it all. They don't have to disable boost for that extra bonus, but closing as much of the gap as possible between base and boost seems preferable.

Everyone is also only mentioning PS4 when the patent suggests it will go all the way down to PS1.

FranXico

The patent does not suggest it going all the way down to PS1, it merely mentions "older CPU". What is implied, however, is that the older CPU and current CPU should have some sort of instruction set compatibility, since there are steps that involve downclocking the current CPU, but no mention of instruction set translation AFAICS.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The patent does not suggest it going all the way down to PS1, it merely mentions "older CPU". What is implied, however, is that the older CPU and current CPU should have some sort of instruction set compatibility, since there are steps that involve downclocking the current CPU, but no mention of instruction set translation AFAICS.

Not by name but it specifically mentions legacy devices.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I very much doubt that either the CPU or GPU will have a variable clock (base and boost) when running PS5 software, the different, lower clocks will be purely for BC states.

This is mainly due to ps games being coded at a lower level and different clocks can break compatibility.

Correct, the PS5 will not have a boost mode for PS5 games. That would be reserved if they had another mid gen refresh if they go that route again.

It may have a boost mode however for PS4/Pro games, like the Pro goes now for PS4.

Suspicious account to say the least:

There's also this: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/ps5-codename-erebus-unreal-engine-4-1908918

Sony undercover employee tweeting controlled leaks? ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to be right (comprehensive PS1/2/3/4/PSP/Vita BC). :)

Sony has a massive ecosystem to monetize, so why not? More (digital) game sales, more royalties, more $$$, more funding for PS5 exclusives! Win-win.

MPs and cooperatives is what built the Xbox platform. Even at a time when gamers were convinced that FPS' couldn't be played on consoles. And as far as leaving MPs just to 3rd party focus, that's just short sighted and a lack of business acumen.

MP brings longevity and replayablity long after expansions and campaign support has been retired. There's absolutely no good reason to drop MP focus from gaming.
I wholeheartedly agree:

Never understood this "leave MP to 3rd parties" logic, especially coming from SP-only gamers. What if someone enjoys playing unique, exclusive, 1st party MP games (like the above)?

No offense, but it's like a vegan telling me where to buy meat from. I respect your (food/gaming) habits, but please don't patronize people who have different habits. We can all co-exist peacefully under the same, vast, rich PS ecosystem. :)

It means 32MB L3 is necessary to counteract DRAM latency.

ETA: Sorry brain fade. The same does apply to the CPU in the sense we know with the Pro it was 1.6GHz 'base' and 2.093GHz 'boost' so I assume the same will apply to Oberon if it is PS5?
What about idle mode (sitting in the OS menu, no game running)?

Even OG PS4 should be able to have multiple clock profiles (i.e. 0.8 GHz for OS, 1.6 GHz for games). Could be something similar.

having a GPU that is close to 2Ghz with a CPU that is 1.8Ghz doesn't make sense. Having a 3.2Ghz CPU would be decent,, but that's the same clock speed as the xbox 360 cpu and PS3 Cell cpu. I hope the ps5 and scarlett Cpu reach close to 4Ghz.
Forget it:

D_c33PfU8AIg8GA.png:large

Besides, Cell/Xenon PPE is a dual-issue, in-order uarch (translation: horrible IPC), Jaguar is dual-issue OoO uarch (translation: 5x IPC vs PS360 CPUs), Zen 2 is a six-issue OoO uarch with a 256-bit vector unit on all 8 cores (Cell SPUs have 128-bit SIMD).

If RPCS3 is anything to come by, Zen 2 @ 3.2 GHz might be able to emulate PS3's Cell 6 SPUs (GameOS) in real time:

Sony (and MS) engineers have way more resources than hobbyists.

Last edited:
Saw this posted on Reddit in the past hour (has it already been posted on here?):

S6lZDYB.jpg

This sounds like an absolute mess of contradictions if I'm reading it right. So, pure BS.

+ "24GB RAM" - Yeah, okay.
+ "8GB in 2 * 4 stacks" - I'm not understanding this. I don't understand how you get 2 * 4 in 24 when you're using 8s.
+ "Additional 16GB in the form of DDR4" - Wait, so we've got 24GB and another 16GB? 40GB total? Huh?
+ "4GB reserved for OS, the remaining 12GB usable by games": 4 + 12 = 16, not 24.
+ "Appears as 20GB to the developers": contradicts the 12GB claim above.

I'm going to stick with my 16+4 (20GB) guess.

Racer!

Saw this posted on Reddit in the past hour (has it already been posted on here?):

S6lZDYB.jpg

This sounds like an absolute mess of contradictions if I'm reading it right. So, pure BS.

+ "8GB in 2 * 4 stacks" - I'm not understanding this. I don't understand how you get 2 * 4 in 24 when you're using 8s.
+ "Additional 16GB in the form of DDR4" - Wait, so we've got 24GB and another 16GB? 40GB total? Huh?
+ "4GB reserved for OS, the remaining 12GB usable by games": 4 + 12 = 16, not 24.

2GB * 4 Stacks = 8GB for GPU

16GB DDR4 - 4GB reserved for OS = 12GB for use

16GB system + 8GB GPU = 24GB total

24GB total - 4GB for OS = 20GB total useable

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

S6lZDYB.jpg

This is a very old rumor. One of the first ones we've read. Why's it popping up again?

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Suspicious account to say the least:

There's also this: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/ps5-codename-erebus-unreal-engine-4-1908918

Sony undercover employee tweeting controlled leaks? ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to be right (comprehensive PS1/2/3/4/PSP/Vita BC). :)

Sony has a massive ecosystem to monetize, so why not? More (digital) game sales, more royalties, more $$$, more funding for PS5 exclusives! Win-win.

I wholeheartedly agree:

Never understood this "leave MP to 3rd parties" logic, especially coming from SP-only gamers. What if someone enjoys playing unique, exclusive, 1st party MP games (like the above)?

No offense, but it's like a vegan telling me where to buy meat from. I respect your (food/gaming) habits, but please don't patronize people who have different habits. We can all co-exist peacefully under the same, vast, rich PS ecosystem. :)

It means 32MB L3 is necessary to counteract DRAM latency.

What about idle mode (sitting in the OS menu, no game running)?

Even OG PS4 should be able to have multiple clock profiles (i.e. 0.8 GHz for OS, 1.6 GHz for games). Could be something similar.

Forget it:

D_c33PfU8AIg8GA.png:large

Besides, Cell/Xenon PPE is a dual-issue, in-order uarch (translation: horrible IPC), Jaguar is dual-issue OoO uarch (translation: 5x IPC vs PS360 CPUs), Zen 2 is a six-issue OoO uarch with a 256-bit vector unit on all 8 cores (Cell SPUs have 128-bit SIMD).

If RPCS3 is anything to come by, Zen 2 @ 3.2 GHz might be able to emulate PS3's Cell 6 SPUs (GameOS) in real time:

Sony (and MS) engineers have way more resources than hobbyists.

Back on June 28th this guy announced the release date a whole 3 months before the official announcement. I'd give him some credibility

LordOfChaos

S6lZDYB.jpg

I don't believe it. You can buy worse binned chips from the manufacturer, but you don't go around collecting "bad" chips from other clients who already had them.

Even if that's just a turn of phrase and they do mean from the manufacturer, that's the inverse of a yield rate to rely on.

R600

Banned
Via Reee-, via Planet3dNow(German 3d site with user Bomby who interacts with Komachi's Twitter circle):

---

Flute(Gonzalo, Oberon, Ariel) has 32MB L3 cache in this updated listing.
He is wrong about L3 cache for sure. Flute bench does not have 32MB of L3, its there black on white (plus score is far to low for 32 megs).

R600

Banned
Basically what LordOfChaos LordOfChaos said. Additionally, AMD refers to it as "Game Cache". Here's a decent article about it.
16703_amd-zen2-caches-perf.jpg

Effect of increasing memory speed vs doubling L3 Cache on Ryzen 3000-series CPUs.
Baseline = Ryzen 3000-series CPU with 50% L3 cache disabled & memory at DDR4-2667.

---
Additional context. If the 32MB game cache is left intact, then many of our users here will have to rework their miraculous multiplication for available die size for additional CUs.

My guess is the devkit is the full 40CU and retail will be 36CU with Oberon's 2GHz clock speed. Completely pulled from my ass based on their BC patents/approach, Benji's 13TF dev kit leak, and Apisak's 20K+ overall Fire Strike score. RX 5700 BIOS flashed to 5700 XT and OC'd is basically a stock 5700 XT. RX 5700+Ryzen 5 2600/3600 is easy 20K+ overall score. Vega 64+Ryzen 5 2600 = 20K+. 13TF Navi with 3600 CPU would be upwards of 24K.
My opinion is that new dev kits are 2.0Ghz, so they get ~10% devkit overheas (tbtw 2.0Ghz shown in bench can mean 1901Mhz as well as 2000Mhz and any number inbetween).

So consoles could end up safely in 1.6-1.8Ghz ballpark.

I also think Benji 13TF dev kits where GCN based, as we know Navi kits went out in June (PCB with Navi where rumored in May remember).

VAL0R

Banned
Can someone summarize the current state of the best Scarlett rumors for me and how that stacks against the PS5 rumors?

pawel86ck

Banned
Guys, we have just learned Word Of Tanks will use RT for shadows rendering thanks to groundbreaking software made by intel, and the thing is I remember next gen pastebin leak posted here, where RT technology possible thanks to intel was also mentioned. So maybe this leak was true after all, but there's one problem with it. To my understanding RT technology in World Of Tanks can be used only for shadows rendering, but what about reflections, or GI? Limited RT would be not good 😠

R600

Banned
We know if that V form devkit leak was already using NAVI?
PCB leak indicated actual dev kit SOC for PS5 dev kits in May.

V shaped dev kit was confirmed to be in 3rd party hands in July (Codemasters) so I think its probably Navi. There would not be SOC in actual dev kits that are not PC based.

Uh...why would Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) go back to a split memory pool? Didn't they already see how horrible that was for devs with PS3 and how unified memory gave 360 and PS4 the advantage?

That Reddit stuff looks like someone who wants to throw together an exotic architecture but doesn't know how system architectures work.

Uh...why would Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) go back to a split memory pool? Didn't they already see how horrible that was for devs with PS3 and how unified memory gave 360 and PS4 the advantage?

That Reddit stuff looks like someone who wants to throw together an exotic architecture but doesn't know how system architectures work.
Agreed.

I'm sticking to #TeamGDDR6.

Besides, DDR4 tech will be dead in a few years due to DDR5. Why invest on it? MS did the same mistake with DDR3 (because it was cheaper back in 2012-2013, but not anymore), while Sony put a bet on GDDR5 and it paid out handsomely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom