• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are you implying throwing in other designs within the chip architecture? Because that's not how it works. The chips are already designed and set in stone. Any tweaks could come from driver optimizations and/or debugging. That's about it.

What a clock tweaks and adjustments along with thermals?

Come on man, you throw your weight around in here, yet you could not parse what he was referring to?

TLZ

Banned
Are you implying throwing in other designs within the chip architecture? Because that's not how it works. The chips are already designed and set in stone. Any tweaks could come from driver optimizations and/or debugging. That's about it.

I meant what both users below said; increased clocks and better thermals, if possible. Also RAM, since Sony increased that closer to release. Of course they'll be constantly testing all this along the way til cutoff before release.

I think he meant increasing clocks.
What a clock tweaks and adjustments along with thermals?

Come on man, you throw your weight around in here, yet you could not parse what he was referring to?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
WTF does any of this mean
Remember "Sparkman" from the AquariusZi leaks? They said Oberon is PS5, Arden is Xbox, and they were questioning what Sparkman was. Just like Oberon leak had Gen 0 = 800MHz(PS4 Base), Gen 1 = 911MHz(Pro), and Gen 2 = 2GHz(PS5)...Sparkman has Gen 0 = 4 RBEs, which should be Xbox One base.

Ars Technica:
At the heart of Project Scorpio is an all-new AMD GPU, which features 40 "customised" Radeon compute units (compared to just 12 on the Xbox One and Xbox One S) clocked at an impressive 1172MHz. That's a substantial increase over Xbox One GPU's 853MHz clock speeds, and even the PS4 Pro's 911MHz. Microsoft has doubled the amount of shader engines and render back-ends

GPU Curiosity:
Xbox One X GPU’s Render Back Ends (RBE) has 256KB cache each and there’s 8 of them

Digital Foundry: PS4 has 8 RBEs on spec list off to the left of the article.
---
Thus, it is likely that Sparkman is Lockhart since it has BC with Xbox One, Raytracing, and VRS. Arden is already said to be Scarlett.

Last edited:

demigod

I agree with you about Gears 5 don't outselling Gears 4 because Game Pass, but somehow having doubt making that guy salty.
I mean, Uncle Phil never lie to us right?

Besides, 'don't sacrifice perfomance over price'... What this even mean?

He lied of course.

Mass Shift

Remember "Sparkman" from the AquariusZi leaks? They said Oberon is PS5, Arden is Xbox, and they were questioning what Sparkman was. Just like Oberon leak had Gen 0 = 800MHz(PS4 Base), Gen 1 = 911MHz(Pro), and Gen 2 = 2GHz(PS5)...Sparkman has Gen 0 = 4 RBEs, which should be Xbox One base.

Ars Technica:

GPU Curiosity:

Digital Foundry: PS4 has 8 RBEs on spec list off to the left of the article.
---
Thus, it is likely that Sparkman is Lockhart since it has BC with Xbox One, Raytracing, and VRS. Arden is already said to be Scarlett.

CrustyBritches CrustyBritches . You are on point!

I have to start saving these links so I don't have to always go looking for them again.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I have to start saving these links so I don't have to always go looking for them again.
At first I didn't give much credence to those Aquarius leaks, but after looking through his stuff I think it's highly probable it's all true. Of course it's possible that Sparkman isn't an Xbox product, but the fact it has BC at all, especially with something with 4 RBEs, makes Nintendo or Sony unlikely.

TLZ

Banned
At first I didn't give much credence to those Aquarius leaks, but after looking through his stuff I think it's highly probable it's all true. Of course it's possible that Sparkman isn't an Xbox product, but the fact it has BC at all, especially with something with 4 RBEs, makes Nintendo or Sony unlikely.
Can't be a new Switch BC with current Switch? Maybe left Nvidia behind? I don't know what these 4 RBE's are.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Can't be a new Switch BC with current Switch? Maybe left Nvidia behind? I don't know what these 4 RBE's are.
Don't know. The Aquarius thread made it seem like Nintendo. Even having a BC mode would make it odd for either the Switch or even something like the SuborZ+. I don't know enough about Tegra or even GPUs in general to explain whether BC could function between vendors and the licensing involved. Would Ninty make a AMD Switch 2 with RT and VRS?

Fake

Nintendo using AMD is out of question. Would require a huge amount of time for creating a game in two different machines. IDK if Nvidia would allow that too. They have a contract.

Last edited:

Butz

Banned
My guess is the difference in power will probably be at about 5%, so pretty negligible. What will matter is how the developers use that power and when it comes to that Sony definitely has the upper hand as the only MS studios who can keep up with Sony in that regard are Playground Games and Ninja Theory and most likely The Initiative based on their recent hires - though it remains to be seen if they will focus on 60FPS or 30FPS games.

im kind of amazed on the significant jumps we are having for ps5 and Scarlett (wow!):

CPU: Jaguar--->Zen2 or Zen2+
GPU: Polaris--->RDNA with raytracing
Memory: GDDR5--->GDDR6
Optical Drive: 50GB Blu-Ray--->128GB Blu-Ray
USB: MicroUSB---> Possibly Thunderbolt/USB4.0
Wifi: Wifi5--->Wifi6
Video Output: HDMI 2.0--->HDMI 2.1 with variable refresh rate & Freesync(2?)
Memory: 8-12GB GDDR5-->15-25GB GDRR6
Memory Bandwidth: 218GB/s to 326GB/s--->500GB/s to 800GB/s
Storage: HDD--->Fast SSD Drive
Bluetooth: 2.0--->5.1

I'm sure there will be improvements on audio as well. I wish Microsoft would get rid of their nickelodeon barf green color scheme of their xbox brand.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Back to PS5 / Xbox talk:

Anyone else got a sneaking suspicion that MS is going to go all out this gen? I reckon they're going to push more RAM, a faster CPU, and possibly even attempt to undercut the PS5 in price:

PS5 / Xbox Scarlett

RAM: 16+4 / 24+4
CPU: 2.8Ghz / 3.2Ghz
GPU: 10TF / 11TF
Price: £449 / £399

(and then Sony will be forced to lower their price before launch)

MS would aim to make up the difference by luring more gamers into their service offerings.

Nope I don't get tht at all. I think they'll both try to up one another like thy always do (Sony won tht battle last Gen). Sony are very aware and playing it smart after the PS3 pricing and of course Microsoft is aware of their blunders this gen. Thy are both watching each others move but I'd Def not sleep on Sony thy know what their doing and want to maintain tht momentum thy had all this gen. BTW I'm sure Cerny has some goodies for us we don't know about.

I cannot wait for these reveals 😊

Last edited:
can games be released in 128GB-512GB SDcard-MicroSDcards instead of Blu-ray disks, or would the read/write speed be too slow?

I think that would be prohibitively too expensive* this generation. The cost of (bulk) producing a Blu-Ray is likely just a few cents, while the cost of a flash drive would be a few dollars.

(* - is that the correct grammar? Doesn't seem to scan right)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Aaron Greenberg doing what he does best.

Not gonna click, what gems have been PR’ed?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So, it would indeed be a proprietary storage solution. The PS5 would be its trojan horse.
Could go either way for them.

The ReRam would be (which is ironically the same size as the UHD storage disc the game comes on), but it will still probably use standard storage (SSD), HDDs you currently have (externals, etc) remains to be seen to House your games.

The games load into ReRam when you want to play them, from the sounds of it.

If true, I can see it going one or both ways. The internal SSD will load games into the ReRam faster to be played instant with no load times, and any HDD you choose to use, will just load into that configuration slower.

This also will lower read/writes on the SSD since the ReRam will be doing it all when playing the games, and it does not suffer from endurance issues the SSD does from having to do it all.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
None, it was a totally respectful, truthful and poinent assessment of where Microsofts focus is.

Please dont read it so you can continue this narrative that everything he says is BS ...

Stop projecting. I can’t care less about giving the Kotaku the click more so than your head canon.

Last edited:

FrostyJ93

So i thought of this regarding simplifying the SKU lineup: what if MS and Sony discontinuebthe base consoles and made 7nm slim versions of one x and pro amd rebranded them as xbox one and PS4? Too confusing?

nowhat

So i thought of this regarding simplifying the SKU lineup: what if MS and Sony discontinuebthe base consoles and made 7nm slim versions of one x and pro amd rebranded them as xbox one and PS4? Too confusing?
Unlike Microsoft, Sony (at least according to them, so far) still firmly believes in console generations. We may be seeing a Pro slim of sorts, but I doubt they'll be pushing the previous gen much once PS5 is out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
.... because your 1 cent worth of clicking is still worth more than your integrity and reputation..

You here to discuss and speculate hardware, or have a persecution complex on behalf of MS/Kotaku and project that on me at a personal level?

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
You here to discuss and speculate hardware, or have a persecution complex on behalf of MS/Kotaku and project that on me at a personal level?

im just pointing out you refusing to even read an article your commenting on .. of which all your speculation was wrong about ...does nothing for your integrity or reputation. If you honestly cant be bothered reading the things you comment on .. are your comments worth reading?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
im just pointing out you refusing to even read an article your commenting on .. of which all your speculation was wrong about ...does nothing for your integrity or reputation. If you honestly cant be bothered reading the things you comment on .. are your comments worth reading?

All I asked was for the PR gems that stood out.

:messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

RaySoft

I just cant understand some of you guys that are on the 60 fps wagon. I understand that you want a solid framerate, but with every console generation it brings with it a fundamental change in game design.
With this new power you can use that to create a whole new game world that are not possible on current gen. consoles. Would you rather continue the same "stagnat" game design of todays with 60 fps, or would you prefere a richer game design/worlds/gameplay that you can't even imagine as of today?
I for one lean more towards the latter. If all developers were going to heed the calls of 60fps, we would always be a generation behind in terms of game design. Power thrusts new ideas forwards, but you would rather play last years GOW in 60 fps instead, wouldnt you?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom