• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

O onQ123 is Cerny confirmed.

1305715_0.jpg

"Developed Guerrilla games 2nd team" (sic)

Their secondary team? Really?

What on earth could their primary team be working on? A new Killzone? I can't think of any other games that Guerrilla might also be doing.

/s

pawel86ck

Banned
I prefer 60fps because it's just easy on my eyes, and doesn't give me a headache.
That's 30fps judder, you have to use framerate upscaling, but then the problem is increased input lag. There are however certain samsung HDTV's with low input lag (21ms) even with framerate upsacling turned on.

I hope this pastebin leak will end up true. 11.8TF Navi would translate into 14.7TF Vega (navi has 25% performance improvement in games over vega).

Last edited:

SgtCaffran

I hope this pastebin leak will end up true. 11.8TF Navi would translate into 14.7TF Vega (navi has 25% performance improvement in games over vega).
I think what is mentioned in that pastebin at least sounds credible and matches quite well with what is already rumored. We'll never know if it's a good summary of leaks and rumors so far or if it's actually new but I would be happy with these specs!

Opinion on that (PS5) pastebin (https://pastebin.com/puDJ1TnA), with % belief scores:

The ssd is indeed rather special but it's the same as scarlett both use ssd chips directly onto the main board.

95%

GPU is 11.8tflop, Sony are using a dual heatsink design because the clockspeed is very high for a console (1921mhz)

65%

24gb gddr6 with 4gb reserved for the OS and 1 cpu core is reserved for the OS

33%

Sony is aiming for $449

75%

Horizon zero dawn 2 should be a launch title my source tells me the vegetation is like something they have never seen before.

15% - it'll be pushed back 6 months :)

Reactions: Isa

nowhat

15% - it'll be pushed back 6 months :)
*insert "I want to believe" jpg here*

The development of HZD took a long time for sure, but much of it was spent on engine/tools and concepting. By now Decima is much more mature - case in point, Death Stranding had quite a short development time considering the size of the game/team. And Guerrilla has expanded their staff quite a bit.

So I'm not as sceptical. But sure, it may take some time after launch too.

VFXVeteran

Banned
can games be released in 128GB-512GB SDcard-MicroSDcards instead of Blu-ray disks, or would the read/write speed be too slow?

I think that would be way too slow. I'm envisioning those 1T or 2TB cartridges that use their new tech and having a virtual memory system that can access all the data on those + the common RAM structure combined. It would be equivalent to having a 128GB RAM on a PC and installing said game into a virtual RAMdisk. That would be faster than anything. In fact, I have 64G of RAM now, but I'll try adding another 64G and creating a virtual RAM disc at some point in the near future.

molly14

Jim

Too much fiddling around in the settings than actually playing the game.

That's what my friend does on his PC all the time ,trying to get the perfect frame rate, graphics combination,then actually playing the game.

Anyway once the new consoles arrive their won't be much difference graphically to bother with the pc ,for most normal people the visuals will be good enough

Even this gen I'm perfectly fine with the visuals on my Pro,GTS and HZD look amazing to me.

Hope they use the extra power for better AI, and more realistic immersion in the game world.

Like imagine GT sport with a proper looking human crowd,lol,interacting with the cars and drivers as they race past,like running up to the barriers,etc.

And less dumb Ai drivers would be cool too.

Last edited:

Although this doesn't have to do with video games, I think its cool they used AMD 3rd gen threadripper to make CG rendered scenes in terminator salvation. I wonder what GPU they used.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So what they did with PS4. MS probanly just gonna wait till E3 altogether I think.
I doubt it they always have some sort of event before E3 console revile I think it had always been in May. They can get some of the minor things out of the way before the big event also builds up anticipation.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Jim

Too much fiddling around in the settings than actually playing the game.

That's what my friend does on his PC all the time ,trying to get the perfect frame rate, graphics combination,then actually playing the game.

Anyway once the new consoles arrive their won't be much difference graphically to bother with the pc ,for most normal people the visuals will be good enough

Even this gen I'm perfectly fine with the visuals on my Pro,GTS and HZD look amazing to me.

Hope they use the extra power for better AI, and more realistic immersion in the game world.

Like imagine GT sport with a proper looking human crowd,lol,interacting with the cars and drivers as they race past,like running up to the barriers,etc.

And less dumb Ai drivers would be cool too.

Don't count on it. Running this game on a PC with a 1080 GPU, SSD, and 16G of RAM is about what SP5/Scarlet will give you. Basically 1080p@ 60FPS or 1440p@ 30fps. Some settings my be lower as well.

bitbydeath

nowhat

That’s a shame.

That's been the messaging since (or before even) the release of the mid-gen refreshes for both companies. Microsoft considers Xbox a platform. Sony still believes in console generations (Pro was a current-gen upgrade, but will have no special treatment next gen, it will be as obsolete as the base model). I think both approaches have their merits.

vpance

That’s a shame.

I guess almost all 3rd parties will do cross gen releases in the first year or 2 regardless. It's the 'foreseeable future' part which gives me pause.

Sony exclusives could really stand far above the rest if 3rd parties will continue to have cross gen roots.

Aceofspades

Banned

llien

So maybe a small reveal @ PlayStation Meeting/Event in February followed by a full blown unveil @ E3 2020?

So a poker game.
Do not want to be beaten by MS, so only reveal cards at the point of no return (3 months of logistics for XMas, too little time to change anything)

This obvious spec race is the only reason I don't laugh at "faster than 5700XT" expectations. Unlikely, but possible.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Don't count on it. Running this game on a PC with a 1080 GPU, SSD, and 16G of RAM is about what SP5/Scarlet will give you. Basically 1080p@ 60FPS or 1440p@ 30fps. Some settings my be lower as well.
Right before PS4 launch I have bought GTX 680, and back then I have considered 2GB VRAM plenty. However when more and more PS4 games were ported to PC, then I have soon realized 2GB was no longer enough and my GPU was VRAM limited in many games.

According to leaks next gen consoles will use somewhere around 24 GB, so I can really see a problem right there. GTX 1080 only has 8GB, and although it's more than enough to run PS4 ports, it will be not enough if PS5 ports will use lets say 10+ GB VRAM. We can also expect RT implementation in many next gen games, so PC ports will require HW RT too in order to get comparable results.

If I would want to build PC today with expectation to run PS5 games with similar results, I would only consider Titan RTX. It has 24 GB VRAM, and of course HW RT. Ampere leaks suggest next gen GPU's from Nv will feature more VRAM across all models, and I believe that's because Nv already know what will happen when PS5 will launch.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

So basically Microsoft is treating Xbox as a gimped down PC. They removed one of the greatest consoles advantages over PC and you will never see a game utilizing Scarlett hardware to the metal.

Thank god we still have Sony

Just another sign of MS moving away from the AAA space to support gamepass.

Halo Infinite and Forza are both being revamped to support this new model, Gears will be next.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Right before PS4 launch I have bought GTX 680, and back then I have considered 2GB VRAM plenty. However when more and more PS4 games were ported to PC, then I have soon realized 2GB was no longer enough and my GPU was VRAM limited in many games.

According to leaks next gen consoles will use somewhere around 24 GB, so I can really see a problem right there. GTX 1080 only has 8GB, and although it's more than enough to run PS4 ports, it will be not enough if PS5 ports will use lets say 10+ GB VRAM. We can also expect RT implementation in many next gen games, so PC ports will require HW RT too in order to get comparable results.

If I would want to build PC today with expectation to run PS5 games with similar results, I would only consider Titan RTX. It has 24 GB VRAM, and of course HW RT. Ampere leaks suggest next gen GPU's from Nv will feature more VRAM across all models, and I believe that's because Nv already know what will happen when PS5 will launch.

That's not how it works.

First of all the PS5/Scarlet will have 16G RAM. Their SSD configuration will allow a virtual RAM system. Part of that 16G is going towards storing the entire OS in memory. A game will not even use more than 8G of VRAM for storing textures, etc.. I can almost guarantee you on that. The highest consuming VRAM game today is probably around 6-7G max. So I wouldn't worry about that. For example, I have a 2080Ti with 12G VRAM and my PC has 64G DDR4. This makes my total configuration 76G of usable RAM -- way more than both next-gen consoles combined.

You also have it backwards. The PC will be the leader of graphics features from here on out. It will be the consoles trying to match the PC hardware, not the other way around.

Lastly, while unified hardware memory is a good thing, I'd much prefer having the RAM split as it is now on the PC. There may be some overhead storing data onto the card, but the memory is secure and isolated from the OS's kernel. I'd rather know that the VRAM is off limits for anything other than storing textures/shaders than having to configure that memory mapping myself as a programmer.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

That's not how it works.

First of all the PS5/Scarlet will have 16G RAM. Their SSD configuration will allow a virtual RAM system. Part of that 16G is going towards storing the entire OS in memory. A game will not even use more than 8G of VRAM for storing textures, etc.. I can almost guarantee you on that. The highest consuming VRAM game today is probably around 6-7G max. So I wouldn't worry about that. For example, I have a 2080Ti with 12G VRAM and my PC has 64G DDR4. This makes my total configuration 76G of usable RAM -- way more than both next-gen consoles combined.

You also have it backwards. The PC will be the leader of graphics features from here on out. It will be the consoles trying to match the PC hardware, not the other way around.

Lastly, while unified hardware memory is a good thing, I'd much prefer having the RAM split as it is now on the PC. There may be some overhead storing data onto the card, but the memory is secure and isolated from the OS's kernel. I'd rather know that the VRAM is off limits for anything other than storing textures/shaders than having to configure that memory mapping myself as a programmer.

That post is 100% wrong
PC’s don’t set the baseline in a new generation, consoles do and history shows this very clearly.

PC games also leap graphically each generation because they get a new baseline to work off. PC games use 8GB memory now but next-gen it will be raised higher, this should be common knowledge.

VFXVeteran

Banned
That post is 100% wrong
PC’s don’t set the baseline in a new generation, consoles do and history shows this very clearly.

Where is history showing you this? Do you have a quote from any 3rd party gaming company that their base machine is a console instead of a PC -- especially using an agnostic graphics engine like UE4?

PC games also leap graphically each generation because they get a new baseline to work off. PC games use 8GB memory now but next-gen it will be raised higher, this should be common knowledge.

That's not true. Case in point -- Shadow of the Tomb Raider for example. They already created higher res textures that the consoles couldn't run. All the graphics options they put into the engine were also based on the PC and since the graphics engine (DX or GL) is a state machine, it's quite easy to turn on/off these options. Every single 3rd party game this gen had improvements where the artists had to be involved. You don't go back and recreate the same textures at a higher resolution just to port to the PC. That's an incredible waste of time. And show me a game using 8G of VRAM on ANY PC @ 4k res. I'm waiting...

Last edited:
I don't like gaming on PC.
Said no one ever.

So basically Microsoft is treating Xbox as a gimped down PC. They removed one of the greatest consoles advantages over PC and you will never see a game utilizing Scarlett hardware to the metal.

Thank god we still have Sony

I’m fairly certain they will build the game for standard hardware first, then work backwards.

Last edited:
Where is history showing you this? Do you have a quote from any 3rd party gaming company that their base machine is a console instead of a PC -- especially using an agnostic graphics engine like UE4?
Not sure why you keep pushing a pro-PC rhetoric in a console-related thread.

Anyway... I suggest to revisit Assassin's Creed Black Flag (2013) vs Assassin's Creed Unity (2014). Maybe then you'll understand why the console dev baseline is a thing. :)

Yes, you can run Assassin's Creed Black Flag at 4k 60 fps with 16x Anisotropic Filtering (because that's all that matters, right?) and it still won't look nearly as good as Assassin's Creed Unity.

It wasn't always like that though. Games like Far Cry 1 and Crysis 1 weren't tied by console restrictions. I guess you have Star Citizen these days, but that's it. Everything else is a spruced up console port.

Barakov

Gold Member
So a poker game.
Do not want to be beaten by MS, so only reveal cards at the point of no return (3 months of logistics for XMas, too little time to change anything)

This obvious spec race is the only reason I don't laugh at "faster than 5700XT" expectations. Unlikely, but possible.
I suspect on some level Sony was kinda burned by the X being more powerful than the Pro. So they'll wait to the last possible moment to reveal their hand. Smart move their part. This is obvious given how the beginning of this gen played out that the more powerful system is going to have a major edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom