• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_zazen

I think out of all the insiders only 1-2 of them are anywhere close to being on the money in terms of what these systems (specifically PS5) will actually have. The others could be way off base, or have bad sources/plants giving them false data, outdated info/sources or even just making shit up.

That said it's fun to see what they have to say, it adds to the pot and the pot's in no danger of spilling out.

In the wild chance they're doing dual GPU (again, highly unlikely; they're maybe just seeing which of the two chips to roll with), isn't that going to jack up the price? Not to mention potentially increase the TDP budget noticeably unless the clocks come down quite a bit?

And IIRC, CrossFire/SLI on PCI never really netted a 2x increase, closer to 1.5x. Maybe that'll increase somewhat with Navi tech but a single die with 72CUs would've been preferable for an actual 2x increase over 36CUs.

If they use chiplet design with infinity fabric, it should act just like one big chip but with way better yields

TLZ

Banned
Moore's Law is Dead said that he thinks Sony's console might be less powerful teraflop wise while targeting lower price, and he thinks that PS5 will have custom audio and RT chips along with faster SSD. He also said Sony will go for more smarter design to the hardware while Microsoft will go for brute power. Interesting thoughts.
Lovely.

I like this.

bitbydeath

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away if you wanted to play a Square Soft game you had to own a Nintendo console. After Square decided to make FFVII for the PS their relationship soured. Imagine if you will another big name studio that is currently making a game that everyone expects to be multi platform suddenly only being for ONE platform and not even the PC market. At one point Nintendo told Square (ファックオフ) The relationship is better but it took a long time and their is still some bitterness.

Related to the buyout rumour or no?

ethomaz

Banned
ah ok thanks, so the ‘oberon’ leak was 36 CU at 2GHZ? do we have a leak of what CU Ariel was at and what it was clocked at?
I don’t know.
To be fair the table has a lot of changes, new steppings, and tests of old steppings of the same CPU.
That is why he is asked if so much (?)... he is confuse why that much of changes.

These CPU IDs only give us nothing too.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
They'd better be a studio that was struggling to develop the game, otherwise this smells like a moneyhat. The kind of moneyhat I hate.
I don’t want to derail the thread, but I can think of a reason that this might have happened which wasn’t necessarily about money hat. Specific to the Square/Nintendo/Sony relationship at the time. Just remember that that was around the time Sony/Nintendo were making a console together for which there was a prototype system with cartridge and disc which until recently was the stuff of legend.

Gudji

????

Anyone speak robot care to translate?

On the left (example: number 11 - ARL A0) is the chip codename. The number in front is some sort of identifier.
What's important there is that ARL A0 (rumored GPU part for PS5 chip) got another revision (ARL E0?), meaning it got changed and they are still testing.
I'm no expert but that's what I've got from reading other more technical guys.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
They'd better be a studio that was struggling to develop the game, otherwise this smells like a moneyhat. The kind of moneyhat I hate.
Its not a money hat if you own the studio.

Only game I can see that happening with and causing some stank is GTA VI.
They aren't selling and if they are I haven't heard about it.

Give us a hint, is the publisher Western or JP?

There is absolutely no hint I can give that wouldn't just tell the entire situation both companies (MS and Sony) are guilty. Its part of the reason I keep saying how good MS games library is about to be. They are literally KILLING it. One company is JP the other which would be a timed or content exclusive is Not Japanese or Western even though big daddy MS wants to buy them outright. That's the one that would break the internet.

Edited to add: I hope it doesn't happen and that's not hating on MS that's me as a gamer wanting to play this particular game on PC.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

I don’t know.
To be fair the table has a lot of changes, new steppings, and tests of old steppings of the same CPU.
That is why he is asked if so much (?)... he is confuse why that much of changes.

These CPU IDs only give us nothing too.
gotcha, thanks for taking the time to explain!

ManaByte

There is absolutely no hint I can give that wouldn't just tell the entire situation both companies (MS and Sony) are guilty. Its part of the reason I keep saying how good MS games library is about to be. They are literally KILLING it. One company is JP the other which would be a timed or content exclusive is Not Japanese or Western even though big daddy MS wants to buy them outright. That's the one that would break the internet.

Witcher IV.

Bryank75

Banned
FluffyUnnaturalBengaltiger-size_restricted.gif
I'm just gonna get one of those doors for my PS5!

I don’t want to derail the thread, but I can think of a reason that this might have happened which wasn’t necessarily about money hat. Specific to the Square/Nintendo/Sony relationship at the time. Just remember that that was around the time Sony/Nintendo were making a console together for which there was a prototype system with cartridge and disc which until recently was the stuff of legend.

But Square was always a one-system dev even at that time. They made their games for Nintendo systems, not SEGA/NEC/SNK etc. platforms. Switching to PS was just them staying in line with supporting a single platform holder for a given gen, and Nintendo pissed them off basically with sticking to cartridges. That was a bigger anchor for their 32-bit software ambitions than anything I can picture MS is doing in regards to Lockhart (assuming it's even releasing this year, when we know way less about it than XSX and even PS5).

It sounds to me OsirisBlack OsirisBlack is hinting about this being a traditionally multiplatform studio suddenly going exclusive with a given IP. I can't imagine it being a Western studio, because those games still do pretty well on non-PS platforms. I doubt it's someone like From Software, either, because even though they're Japanese their Dark Souls games do very well on non-PS platforms and I don't think PS exclusivity would make up for lost sales from skipping those other platforms.

Maybe it's a Japanese developer but then if so who? If I had to guess it's either Square Enix with FFVII Remake (maybe the PC port's delayed and Xbox port is cancelled, and it's getting a PS5 enhanced edition) or Capcom (maybe they're making an enhanced version of RE3 for PS5 and have a timed exclusive on PS platforms. Or maybe they're going to do a Code:Veronica remake for PS5 exclusively, at least for a small period of time). There's some precedent to support both of those being possible.

Edited to add: I hope it doesn't happen and that's not hating on MS that's me as a gamer wanting to play this particular game on PC.
[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't ms not release this particular game on pc, like all thier other games??

demigod

The JP one.....I'm guessing its Sega.

Dolodolo

Its part of the reason I keep saying how good MS games library is about to be. They are literally KILLING it
I don't really understand how this is possible, given that their studios were acquired relatively recently and you can't make very high quality games so quickly
And to be honest, I did not understand who is going to buy someone temporarily

ManaByte

I hope this is true as it's a game I certainly won't miss playing lol guess if they buy the studio this would mean it would be an ms studio game and then also day and date released on pc anyway.

Orisus said it wouldn't be on PC either.

Hmm...I'm gonna take some guesses here x3...

Cyberpunk 2077 Next-Gen Edition timed exclusive (MS)

Code:Veronica PS5 timed exclusive (Sony)

I'm probably wrong but there 'ya go.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't really understand how this is possible, given that their studios were acquired relatively recently and you can't make very high quality games so quickly

The studios very likely had things in development.

Bryank75

Banned

So, is there any truth to the rumor PlayStation are announcing an acquisition soon? Any hints or whispers about it?

Dolodolo

But if they buy the studio I cannot see how that's not going to happen it's one of their selling point of game pass all their games release on Xbox and pc at the same time.
To be honest I do not really understand which side can go to buy
From Sony or from Microsoft ?

Dolodolo

So, is there any truth to the rumor PlayStation are announcing an acquisition soon? Any hints or whispers about it?
Please. Explain to me the context of Osiris's message
I don't really understand English and may be confused
It seems to say that Microsoft wants to buy something, but it seems to say that it is not Microsoft

OsirisBlack

Banned

This game has been in development for a while and has already been shown.

But if they buy the studio I cannot see how that's not going to happen it's one of their selling point of game pass all their games release on Xbox and pc at the same time.

Expect to see this game as an XSeX exclusive at least timed for a while before dropping on PC.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

This isn't always the case. Gears tactics comes to mind.

Bryank75

Banned
Please. Explain to me the context of Osiris's message
I don't really understand English and may be confused
It seems to say that Microsoft wants to buy something, but it seems to say that it is not Microsoft
Seems like Osiris is saying MS want to buy a Japanese studio and have moneyhatted an exclusive from somewhere else (Something like Witcher 4 or Cyberpunk on next gen)

What if Sony doesn't have the custom SSD solution people have convinced themselfs they have, and both are running "off the shelf" PCIe4.0 nVMe controllers - possibly at exactly the same performance .. ?

(It's 2GB/s per lane, and they can use multiple lanes - nothing stopping either getting very high performance easily)
My guess is that like the last time around, even with similar tech Sony will have better bespoke APIs for the hardware in the machine, thus taking advantage of it better, while using less overhead... ending up with faster load/install times on similar specs.

Dolodolo

This game has been in development for a while and has already been shown.
If this game was already shown, then the platforms should have been named conditionally
Microsoft doesn't usually cut off a platform that's already listed, even if it's from a competitor
So I don't really understand what this is about
And again. Everyone remembers the story of Rise of the tomb raider and what it led to
In this regard, Sony has much more loyalty

Shin

Banned
So MS buying Platinum Games then?
Only studio that makes sense when all is said and done and all things considered.
Plus they've been releasing hits after hits recently, perhaps why GranBlue/Cygames cut ties as they'd be working on a PlayStation exclusive game?
The other studio they are trying to buy would probably be that Witcher studio, whatever the fuck it's called.

Dolodolo

If someone is worried about Cyberpunk, don't worry
It is almost impossible to buy this game without experiencing the consequences, as it began pre-orders from all platforms
Even if the money will be returned, it will still hit very hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom