• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
I get the hate boner for Era, but Zhuge is legit and has gotten many things right before.
Nope he is not.
He get wrong his “info” all the time.

You guys are being fooled since he started to try to be a “insider” lol

I corrected him in his sales “leaks” a lot of time in VGC, Vizioneak and GAF.

Last edited:
People want to only believe so called leakers who's info fits in favor of their platform of choice,while dismissing any so called leaker's info that does not favor their platform of choice.

I think all so called leakers should be taken with a grain of salt. These so called insiders will get away with being wrong either way by saying "things changed at the last minute"

Legit leaked documents dug up by legit data miners on the other hand should be taken more seriously imo. Even if they are 6 months old,given specs usual can not be changed much other than clock speeds and RAM. The big question people should be asking is,what price point are MS/Sony aiming for,as that is the best indicator in determining the power gap between XSX and PS5

Last edited:

nowhat

PSA: The hype train is leaving soon, anybody who wishes to get aboard better assign an avatar. Users without an avatar will be left behind. Thanks.
I'd like to be seated next to a single mom with two cranky and constantly yelling toddlers. Preferably also watching some kid's show off a tablet at full volume.

xool

So let's just say this
56CU GPU 351nm²
8C/16T CPU 75nm²
Hardware RT 25nm²
That's 451nm²

[..]

Again just theorizing and armchair math.

56CU AMD GPU ~350nm²
8C/16T Zen 2 CCX CPU ~75nm²
Subtract duplicated resources like memory controller etc -25nm²
Hardware RT ~0nm² (I'm expecting special Ops that use existing resources, and maybe some extra binary sort instructions - [think microcode, but not] - no new functional units)
That's 400nm²

Last edited:

splattered

I dunno... leaking specs of a system or details of a game or three is one thing, but to have this level of detail for every single thing that's posted I kinda just assume this is complete bs. Why do people post crap like this?

There cant be too many people within Sony that have this level of knowledge of every single little detail that would risk leaking online and getting fired.

Last edited:

xool

I dunno... leaking specs of a system or details of a game or three is one thing, but to have this level of detail for every single thing that's posted I kinda just assume this is complete bs. Why do people post crap like this?
I dunno - they always read like expectation bias fantasy (or whatever it's called) .. that said ..
  • Assasin's Creed: Kingdom
  • Killzone: Breach
  • TLOU: Factions
The leaker is pretty good at making up title names, like the first 2 a lot ..

PaNaMa

Banned
I dunno - they always read like expectation bias fantasy (or whatever it's called) .. that said ..
  • Assasin's Creed: Kingdom
  • Killzone: Breach
  • TLOU: Factions
The leaker is pretty good at making up title names, like the first 2 a lot ..

Lots of fan fiction in the "leak" and he was wise to keep so much of it semi to actually plausible... But as soon as I read "Big Navi" it's already false. Big Navi is still in development, and it's a desktop GPU going up against 2080ti. It will be a $1000 card, minimum.
Dude shouldn't have pushed his luck!

Ellery

yeah, im 50-50 on this whole github leak. its possible if sony is going with $399 but i just dont see it.

• Schrier back in march said that both consoles were aiming to beat stadia's 10.7 tflops number. at that point, no one knew about navi not being gcn.
  • then colin and reiner came out at e3 and said the devs at e3 told them ps5 was more powerful. at this point, the 12 tflops rumors for the anaconda were already out.
  • then klee said both consoles were more powerful than the 5700xt and were aiming for double digit tflops. and ps5 was slightly more powerful.
  • then finally jason said both consoles were more powerful than the rtx 2080 which an 8 or even 9 tflops console simply cannot be. 12 definitely more powerful than the rtx 2080.
so you have the github leaks and penello pointing to 8-9 tflops, and on the other hands multiple devs in the industry saying something completely different to four different journalists.

One thing about the whole subjective "is more powerful" topic is that not necessarily everyone is talking about the same thing. We talk a lot about TFLOPS, but we never talk about RayTracing. We basically just take "XBX/PS5 has hardware RayTracing as a yes or no fact", but just like TFLOPs for the normal GPU cores there needs to be dedicated hardware that handles the RayTracing calculations.
Maybe when one person says "next gen consoles are more powerful than an RTX 2080" they mean that with RayTracing enabled.
Perhaps they were shown a demo of multiplat game that supports RayTracing and they had it running on a PC with an RTX 2080 and a Devkit of a next gen console which had less TFLOPs than the 2080 but more RayTracing cores or a much better implementation of RayTracing which led it to perform better.

I don't believe that many people out there know the final specifications Playstation and Microsoft have in mind for the retail product. Maybe the Devkits, but they might be different from what could work in the final product.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PSA: The hype train is leaving soon, anybody who wishes to get aboard better assign an avatar. Users without an avatar will be left behind. Thanks.
It's ready but has no destination
6A1c6c7.gif

Last edited:

R600

Banned
56CU AMD GPU ~350nm²
8C/16T Zen 2 CCX CPU ~75nm²
Subtract duplicated resources like memory controller etc -25nm²
Hardware RT ~0nm² (I'm expecting special Ops that use existing resources, and maybe some extra binary sort instructions - [think microcode, but not] - no new functional units)
That's 400nm²
Why would Zen2 with 8MB of L3 be 75mm²? FYI, full Zen2 desktop version is ~75mm², 50% of that is L3. 1/4th of that would effectively mean ~50mm² tops.

Also, 40CU Navi with 256bit bus is 251mm².

Additional 64bits for 320bit bus is ~16mm², while full 20CUs is ~45mm².

That takes us to 312mm². Github leak specified 64ROPs for Arden, so it will not get full frontend (23mm²). 56CU with 320bit bus + RT is probably less then 340mm2 (RTX RT cores bring ~8% of additional CU size).

For 40CU chip similar math would bring its size only about 8mm² extra (2*45mm²*8%). For 60CU chip that would be ~12mm².

ANIMAL1975

Xbox is a stronger overall but PS5 will have a faster SSD.

I think anyhow :)
Do you have any 'guessing' you can share about PS5 RAM Heise ty

Glad I no longer work their then if that's the only prerequisite for not knowing something.

Also about the GS posted games sheet I can actually make a call and find out if that's legit but all of the games having the same release date is a company wide thing. They always have a placeholder date and tentative Price for all upcoming merchandise. The colors kind of throw me off but I will ask. Won't get a definitive answer until tomorrow.
Side note, if you think the price isn't concrete at this point with the reveal coming up soon and Pre-orders immediately to follow .... yea.

Edited to add:

I really don't care which is more powerful, in a very short while it won't matter what either of us have said. A very big part of me is rooting for the Xbox team as I am very impressed by what they are doing and putting together. I also like Phil's messaging and the fact that he is actually at least attempting to do what he said that he would. I appreciate that they put together a competent box and their games library actually looks diverse and has me excited for the first time in a long while about Xbox. When I get information it just is what it is. If it said XseX > PS5 that's what I would have shared. Just like I am happy that Heisenberg (Much Respect) has stuck to his guns with saying the exact opposite of what I have as far as the systems are concerned. The info you get is what you get and you cant change it even if you would like to.
Tx Osiris, non related _ i noticed you gave a thongs up to my 'red eyed soldiers sci-fi game' post yesterday... was it like a 'guessing' or just 'liking the quote' kind of thing?

who said they want high end?

only people focusing on who is most powerful are here. Sony cares more about about hitting their ideal price range for moving consoles $399 than a TF mecontest.

$399 has been their magic number. Why would they not target that when they can have a really powerful console at that level?

These consoles are planned out a long time ago. Only reason MS is swinging for it withXSX is because Lockhart is in the cards to have an attractive price.

Sony has one console. They aren’t going to go crazy.
Sorry but don't agree. $399 was ps4 magic number and if we think about it, it was a mistake! Because it's conservative approach, was obviously decided with the planning of the mid-gen Pro version already in mind (to give better hardware to Psvr and support 4k TVs). And what conclusions can we make after all this time of the Pro in the market? Maybe someone with more knowledge and insight could answer the question better than me, but the way i see it, all the money spent in the RD of a mid-gen hardware jump (and all its problems like obligatory back compat, etc), most certainly were not compensated by its low sales.
So just to give my 2 cents on the matter:
_PS4 was planned with the constraints of the ps3 losses and low plus subscription adoption.
_ PS5 was planned within a generation that was profitable in both hardware (and with sales records) and subscriptions (plus mandatory for multiplayer).
_ PS4 had to be prepared, on the hardware level, to the Psvr demanding
_ PS5 will have to deal with a 'almost confirmed' more demanding psvr2, hardware accelerated RT, hardware 3D sound chip (or CUs on the gpu, not clear yet) and already confirmed 8k support... and you think Sony is still going for the 'conservative approach for the $399 magic number!???
Well, in the end this is just my two cents.

ha. Didn’t know if anyone still remembered me.

Saw that @SlimySnake got banned at the other place for two weeks and was posting here...so I returned
Welcome back Sawyer!
I was just lurking when you were around, but i remember. How could i forget, 'Lost' is probably my most loved series of all time ❤️ now put that avatar pic back asap, you not the same without it 😅
Don't know about you guys, but seeing people like Sawyer and C crazy buttocks on a train coming back, bring back good memories of the old days... and after all the shit this place went through, and everyone was betting it was going to dye... it's the proof we are here to stay, Gaf is back on is feet and only going big and better baby!

I like that theory.

source.gif
Can i ask you if you are basing your comparison with ps5 on the github leak? Or do you have another source for the 5 specs? Seriously asking, Ty.

Since everyone is a inside source or knows a friend that phones a friend. I had a dream of the ps5 specs. Take it with a grin of salt. Or sea salt if thats your fancy.

12.5-12.9tfs
3.2ghz
22gb of hbm2

As said my inside source dream could be wrong. But if i see this on any youtube channel ima need credit 🤣🤣
I don't understand the meaning of this post. We are here in the Next Gen hardware speculation/rumors OT, and you come here salty or something, to snark on the people who are speculating and sharing rumors about the next gen hardware!!!???... because the 'self claimed' insiders by the hundreds you talk about, are only 4 or 5 people among all the posters dude wtf

Proelite did some calculations and 350mm2 can get you 60 total with 56 active with a cut down zen 2. its possible that ms went wide and slow and thats why they have a much bigger apu.

i wouldnt be surprised if they have three shader engines and 72 cus, 64 active. they went with 44 cus, 8 more cus than the 580's 36 cus. its possible they once again went with an even bigger gpu than the 5800xt. it doesnt line up with the github leak but it is pretty much the only explanation for the unusually large apu unless they went with a full fat zen 2 which they likely didnt.

this will also help them push the clocks further in case sony came out ahead.
I usually don't get into stuff on here but a dude just told you post ago he was kidding and wasn't and insider and that senjetsu or whatever wasn't - then you start talking about "I thought senjetsu". Then you mention Timdog who has been a very big agitator, and then prolite who has also been in drama. I know you want your favorite console to come out on top but it's really looking like both consoles may be very close spec wise. Forget the github leaks and forget the 5700 variant. It may be that both systems are using Big Navi variants - kind of like your 5800xt speculation. No smoke at you - just saying.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
People want to only believe so called leakers who's info fits in favor of their platform of choice,while dismissing any so called leaker's info that does not favor their platform of choice.

I'm probably not alone here in wanting both machines to be very powerful at launch. The base ps4 & One were too weak back in 2013 & no amount of circlejerking over the ps4's power advantage changed the fact games started to run like crap 3 years into the console cycle & the Pro was released to get players back from PC. Imagine paying $400 in 2013 & $400 in 2016 for the Pro? That's what happened his gen. Imagine what a $800 console could have had in terms of power? Add the ps+ subscription cost & PS gamers have been overpaying IMO.

giphy.gif

source.gif

source.gif

blackfriday.jpg

Hey people! This thread generates by far the most amount of reports on the entire site. We've removed several people from the thread already who were clearly trouble makers or just wanted to fan the flames of fiery debates. Of course this number is very small, and the thread is pretty informative and - for the most part - held in good spirits. This is a time of great excitement for us all. New consoles coming this year, new games and hopefully new IP's. There will always be arm punching and ear flicking about which console is more powerful, has the best games and best features and so forth. It's part of the culture, and though at times everyone is prone to snapping when a particulary barbed comment catches you on a bad day, we expect most people just move past it after having their reaction.

We aren't really in the habit of 'rebooting' threads or closing them, nor do we take people out of them lightly. At the end of the day, it's a really big decision as it effectvely stops participation and that's something we definitely do not want to stifle or control unless absolutely necessary. Especially now when all the juicy information and announcements enter the home straight. So just a few guiding principles going forward

• Expect to be lightly ribbed and have a more carefree attitude to the 'power debate'
  • If you're doing the 'ribbing', use a little self awareness of when someone has had enough or when persistence becomes a bit much. There's a fine line between good natured fun poking, and vindictive dressing downs to gather onlookers and inflate ego's
  • By far the biggest issue we have is people coming in and speaking from a position of authority, by being really vague. It's straight from the 'games journalism by twitter' playbook. Please do not do this. We're happy for you to share your opinions that might be based on facts. But we don't need the elaborate backstories. We will always welcome people from the industry with genuine insight, but it's no longer 2003 and some people prefer their privacy and anonymity. Statements like 'I know the (x) is more powerful than the (y) because my uncle working at Reflections has both devkits' has no real credibility unless it is vetted. People are thirsty for information, and trying to titillate them without any real commitment to payoff is just frustrating. There's not even a ruined orgasm to finish on.
I love you

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
big navi is rdna2 so why would it have just "some features" from rdna2?
They're both likely rdna1 with rdna2 features. XSX is.
I don't know, I just taking the piss with the flops business lol

So been lurking for a while just watching the meltdowns, decided to make an account. So was wondering about 400nm²~(we dont know the exact size) die size, a 5700XT has a die size 251nm² with 40CU. Doing some quick armchair math would put 56CU at 351nm². The leak/rumour suggests a 56CU unit cut down from 64CU for better yields. Now if we do what digital foundry did and say the CPU is a slower 3700X as that's the only? 8C/16T zen2 part currently that chiplet is 75nm². Now if there is on chip hardware RT let's take the Nvidia RTX cards as reference the RT cores take up a total of around 9% of the die size on a RTX2080ti the die is 775nm² but that's on the less efficient 12nmFFN process. So play devils advocate and say AMD come up with a similar solution to nvidia that's CPU,GPU and RT hardware that's going to be within that 400nm²~. While yes you cant directly add all individual components together and get an accurate size because manufacturing it as a APU they probably are able refine it abit more. Now I'm not totally tech savvie on all this and just interpreting things etc so if I'm going about this totally wrong do correct me.

As for the ray tracing it's not going to be near 2080ti levels I would place it between 2070(47nm²RT) and 2060(35nm²RT). They have less RT cores so they take up less space on the die. So let's put it between those 2 something like 40nm² then shrink that down abit for the 7nm process so 25nm²(random number havent done any calculating for that).

So let's just say this
56CU GPU 351nm²
8C/16T CPU 75nm²
Hardware RT 25nm²
That's 451nm²
Again we dont know the exact dimensions of the die all we got is some ghetto measurements through a picture giving us 400nm²~. Could be 10nm² more or less.

What I think is more likely will be is a 48CU unit cut down from 54. You would have a die size of around 301nm² for the GPU, with a 8C/16T chiplet that's 376nm² add in what's left for RT you've got a die that in the realm of 400nm²~.

Again just theorizing and armchair math.

CPU will have cut down cache so it won't be 75mm2. Also you're doing simple extrapolation in the GPU and not scaling with actual WGP size. It can easily fit 400mm2. Also you keep saying nm, not mm so you're really getting your hopes up.

Ellery

Regarding the PS MEETING "leak/rumor".

Four easy things to tell it is a fake :

1) Many things sounds way too good to be true. It is a thirsty fanboys dream.
2) The next Gran Turismo is not going to be called 7. I think they already confirmed that GT Sports is GT 7.
3) PS5 is not going to have full BC for all Playstation consoles
4) Too much detailed information for a single leak.

Also you can see that this was created by a person who is eagerly reading all the news and rumors and tries to expand on them with their own "sauce".
Nice try. I like those rumors, but because I like them that also means it is more likely to be a fake.

xool

Why would Zen2 with 8MB of L3 be 75mm²? FYI, full Zen2 desktop version is ~75mm², 50% of that is L3. 1/4th of that would effectively mean ~50mm² tops.

Also, 40CU Navi with 256bit bus is 251mm².

Additional 64bits for 320bit bus is ~16mm², while full 20CUs is ~45mm².

That takes us to 312mm². Github leak specified 64ROPs for Arden, so it will not get full frontend (23mm²). 56CU with 320bit bus + RT is probably less then 340mm2 (RTX RT cores bring ~8% of additional CU size).

For 40CU chip similar math would bring its size only about 8mm² extra (2*45mm²*8%). For 60CU chip that would be ~12mm².
I was kinda talking about Scarlet .. but .. while I'm here

I (maybe) expect the APU to also include video decode/encode (like PS4 did), as well as circuitry that also drives HDMI etc - these, especially the video parts are not small at all - it shifts the estimates from a linear scale with CUs etc downwards, because (and again I assume) that the video parts stay the same .. ie double the CUs (and bus) doesn't duble the size because only part of the "GPU" part of the APU is actually about "3d". [sort of garbled explain- sorry]

Also :
  • Actually video parts might get bigger - HEVC (ultraHD) vs H.264/MPEG4 (HD)
  • Audio module might grow a bit (don't expect this)
  • Video HDMI part might grow due to Freesync support (not sure) [edit - the HDMI is off chip]
All the above aren't things I really know about, so I'm just putting options on..

..but in generally my estimates weren't intended to be that detailed, though I did sort of consider various unmentioned factors balancing out ..

So I'm not disagreeing at all .. here's an image of a Zen APU [Raven Ridge] (from wikichip ) - and, again, idk how accurate this is - but you can see those extra bits (display and multimedia engines) that further complicate the maths :

W3ZsBP5.png

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
giphy.gif

source.gif

source.gif

blackfriday.jpg

Hey people! This thread generates by far the most amount of reports on the entire site. We've removed several people from the thread already who were clearly trouble makers or just wanted to fan the flames of fiery debates. Of course this number is very small, and the thread is pretty informative and - for the most part - held in good spirits. This is a time of great excitement for us all. New consoles coming this year, new games and hopefully new IP's. There will always be arm punching and ear flicking about which console is more powerful, has the best games and best features and so forth. It's part of the culture, and though at times everyone is prone to snapping when a particulary barbed comment catches you on a bad day, we expect most people just move past it after having their reaction.

We aren't really in the habit of 'rebooting' threads or closing them, nor do we take people out of them lightly. At the end of the day, it's a really big decision as it effectvely stops participation and that's something we definitely do not want to stifle or control unless absolutely necessary. Especially now when all the juicy information and announcements enter the home straight. So just a few guiding principles going forward

• Expect to be lightly ribbed and have a more carefree attitude to the 'power debate'
  • If you're doing the 'ribbing', use a little self awareness of when someone has had enough or when persistence becomes a bit much. There's a fine line between good natured fun poking, and vindictive dressing downs to gather onlookers and inflate ego's
  • By far the biggest issue we have is people coming in and speaking from a position of authority, by being really vague. It's straight from the 'games journalism by twitter' playbook. Please do not do this. We're happy for you to share your opinions that might be based on facts. But we don't need the elaborate backstories. We will always welcome people from the industry with genuine insight, but it's no longer 2003 and some people prefer their privacy and anonymity. Statements like 'I know the (x) is more powerful than the (y) because my uncle working at Reflections has both devkits' has no real credibility unless it is vetted. People are thirsty for information, and trying to titillate them without any real commitment to payoff is just frustrating. There's not even a ruined orgasm to finish on.

You all had to go and get uncle Bill involved while I was chasing dreams.

I am disappoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom