• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat related next-gen question... I recently sold my PS4 slim as I’m thinking about getting PS5 on day one. I want to see Last of Us Part II and FFVII remake at their best.

My PS Plus sub lapsed in November. Anyone know how long they’ll keep my cloud saves in storage for? I’d like to bring those with me but I couldn’t find the exact timeframe on Sony’s sites.

R600

Banned
Not even 1080ti, guy is fos
You are purposely misquouting him.

He clearly said, back in May last year, that PS5 will be around 9TF - 1080 specs. While he did clarify that to 1080TI, I suppose that is because 5700XT actually is on that level.

DjNQa1E.png

Its funny how little you guys need to discredit anyone, even verified people here, but turn blind eye on neo members making up specs and refusing to get verified.

dotnotbot

Somewhat related next-gen question... I recently sold my PS4 slim as I’m thinking about getting PS5 on day one. I want to see Last of Us Part II and FFVII remake at their best.

My PS Plus sub lapsed in November. Anyone know how long they’ll keep my cloud saves in storage for? I’d like to bring those with me but I couldn’t find the exact timeframe on Sony’s sites.

I've read somewhere about six months, but once or twice mine was inactive for more than that and they didn't remove my saves.

THE:MILKMAN

Final dev kits will be given around June . Not now

It will be interesting to see if the core hardware (APU/RAM primarily) change in any meaningful way from Prospero in the final kit. Certainly with the PS4/PS4 Pro dev kits the core parts didn't change in the dev kits from months before final mass produced kits went out in the summer of release. The Pro dev docs say specifically that the casing/chassis of dev/test kits weren't final but the specs were. Those kits were sent out to third-parties from April 2016.

The difference this time round with PS5 is that there is quite solid info about PS5 originally targeting late 2019 for launch so it could be the current Prospero proto 1 kit (that went out from April 2019..) is based on the original spec with Prospero proto 2 getting final spec imminently?

Wasn’t there a rumor about increased functionality between PS5 and the PlayStation app? If this “leak” is real, it could be that they want devs testing that out.

Gudji

He clearly said, back in May last year, that PS5 will be around 9TF - 1080 specs. While he did clarify that to 1080TI, I suppose that is because 5700XT actually is on that level.

DjNQa1E.png

Its funny how little you guys need to discredit anyone, even verified people here, but turn blind eye on neo members making up specs and refusing to get verified.

Talk about having double standards... lmao

Armorian

Banned
A QR code on a boot screen seems really stupid to me.

If PS5 was 9.2 TF, that would mean the GPU is running at 2Ghz, right? That seems really silly, and hot. I won't be buying that shit.

If they stick with 36CUs they will need these high clocks to keep console in the same ballpark as XSX (wich will be ~30% faster). They should go with bigger GPU and lower clocks like MS but we really don't know the truth at this point.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No, you can't hit 12TF at 1.45GHz. That gets you 10.39TF. Also, supposing the die can fit 60-70CUs, 4 will be disabled and those others will probably be used towards ray-tracing cores exclusively. That would leave 56 "regular" CUs, so those at 1450MHz won't get anywhere near 12TF.

....we talking 'bout the XSX APU, right?
64 cu at 1.475 ghz would give you 12 tflops. 1.475 was the clockspeed in the Xbox devkit leak.

56 cores could easily fit in a 350-360 mm2 apu along with cores dedicated for ray tracing. 405mm2 confirms they are going wide and slow like they did with the Xbox one x when they had 8 more CUs than the 580. Sony did the same and had 4 more CUs than the 480. Sure they disabled them to get 36 active but like MS they had no problems adding extra CUs to amd GPUs. If the 5800xt is 60 CUs, i wouldn't be surprised if ms goes with even more CUs since they can't push the clocks like amd can in a desktop part.

Bibiche

Neo Member
Doesn't looks legit for me and it's a classic error page, you can go through this link to : https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps7-setup/66577986766178998g1/. Same error page, doesn't mean that a PS7 is on the road.
As a developper, I don't see Sony activate (or something like this) their prototype on the Playstation website and even if they do it, it's too early. I think if there are some control/check/connexion/test on devkit or prototype it's done on a private server. That's how I would do it.

geordiemp

A QR code on a boot screen seems really stupid to me.

If PS5 was 9.2 TF, that would mean the GPU is running at 2Ghz, right? That seems really silly, and hot. I won't be buying that shit.

I can imagine a dev kit using 2 Ghz if that is what they had to play with for devlopment and testing, but not in volume consumer I agree.

OrionNebula

258 days gone and we still don’t know jack shit 😆

At some point the topic will jump ahead like 400 pages, and that day I’ll know something relevant and concrete happened

See you tomorrow, space cowboy!

xool

PS5 godfall ingame gameplay, not impressed.

is this what 13tflops + rt gives?
No it's hot trash - looks like it was targeting PS4 and decided to jump to PS5 for hype points.

There's no raytracing in this at all, just a single perfectly flat reflection plane that you can do easily with rasterization. And the draw distance is 10m.

It would have been forgotten yesterday if it was this gen - after people had finished laughing and pointing and saying GoW/Destiny clone.

[edit] - actually the sort of game I will/would enjoy, but need to be honest about this.

Last edited:

nowhat

Putting a QR code into the start screen doesn’t make sense even for a devkit.

Nice fake though.
I'm not convinced it's real either. But if it would be, and the QR code/resulting URL would be legit, I could see it being a single-use activation code of sorts, or something like that. Like register your pre-production device. Now why one would do it via a phone instead of directly from the console, seems awfully convoluted - that wouldn't surprise me at all. Sony's software competence, or lack thereof, can be astounding at times.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

DjNQa1E.png

nope. Look at the dates. This is pre rdna. He was talking about 9 gcn tflops.

The quote we are using is from November of 2019, which was after the rdna gpus had been released. He was still peddling the 1080 prediction as fact. This is when we knew the 1080 was below the 5700 non xt model in performance.

He only changed his tune after ms revealed a 12 tflops gpu. All of a sudden it went from 1080-1080ti. A 3 tflops jump in one day. But then again he wasn't the only one. I remember you talking down to everyone who dared to predict 10+ tflops and then came around to accepting 12 tflops after seeing that console design.

You are putting your faith in a guy who said horizon 1 on pc will look better than horizon 2 on the ps5. The difference between a 2080 and 2080 ti is 6 tflops at peak clocks, tell me if you would respect a guy who changed his insider info to 2080ti after saying his naughty dog source told him 2080 performance for a year. You wouldn't.

Lampiao

I start to believe that ps5 will not be released this year but at the end of the fiscal year, around March 2021.
March will be the final frontier for the revelation as everything would leak through extra official channels at GDC and this could be both good and bad for sony marketing.
If the console was on track, it wouldn't make much difference to talk or show some details, even with the competition, everything would already be in its initial production order by now, taking into account a global launch in late 2020.

Why is he followed by Shinobi and Digital Foundry?
He is completely fake . He said that fake ps5 form design is being considered by Sony “based on his inside info” and we learned 2 days ago that design was created by someone to troll reditt as he made a video to show it . So again how did he have insider knowledge that Sony was considering that design ???

hemo memo

Gold Member
He is completely fake . He said that fake ps5 form design is being considered by Sony “based on his inside info” and we learned 2 days ago that design was created by someone to troll reditt as he made a video to show it . So again how did he have insider knowledge that Sony was considering that design ???

But again, why he is followed by Shinobi and Digital Foundry if he just bring news from GAF and Era?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Why is the QR code a big deal? Let’s say it’s real, well, wouldn’t it make sense that this was a ”first boot” type prompt? I’ve been saying for a while now they consoles need a much, much better first boot setup process to setup all your details, privacy and security. It would make sense for them to follow suit.

And yeah, I do like the console design. It may well be fake but it’s simple, while not being overly simply. The SX is simple, but a little too plain, even for me. This has just the right amount of anything to be nice looking, like a cross between the One X and a PS2 slim. I like it.

It may all be fake. But in a sea of fakes, it’s the best by far.

R600

Banned
nope. Look at the dates. This is pre rdna. He was talking about 9 gcn tflops.

The quote we are using is from November of 2019, which was after the rdna gpus had been released. He was still peddling the 1080 prediction as fact. This is when we knew the 1080 was below the 5700 non xt model in performance.

He only changed his tune after ms revealed a 12 tflops gpu. All of a sudden it went from 1080-1080ti. A 3 tflops jump in one day. But then again he wasn't the only one. I remember you talking down to everyone who dared to predict 10+ tflops and then came around to accepting 12 tflops after seeing that console design.

You are putting your faith in a guy who said horizon 1 on pc will look better than horizon 2 on the ps5. The difference between a 2080 and 2080 ti is 6 tflops at peak clocks, tell me if you would respect a guy who changed his insider info to 2080ti after saying his naughty dog source told him 2080 performance for a year. You wouldn't.
I dont know about GCN or RDNA TF, fact is his 9TF matches most credible leak we had. As for changing his tune to 1080TI, I dunno when that happened nor do I care. Havent listened to him or any other "insider" here. If the guy that is verified is full of shit, imagine guys who cant or wont get verified but make up stories 24/7 here about next gen. From specs, to launch games to price...

I just wished you guys were half as critical to guys that still receive utmost praise here even though they have been wrong numerous times. I guess its obvious, considering they tell you what you want to hear.

pawel86ck

Banned

DjNQa1E.png

If VFXVeteran would say earth is flat, you would believe him just because he is verified? Being verified doesn't mean insiders cant be wrong (for example their contacts can lie to them), and no sane person should blindly listen to anyone.

I'm not hating VFXVeteran, however what he has said in regards to Horizon 1 on PC (better graphics than Horizon 2 on PS5) is something really hard to believe. Yes, there's a REALLY SMALL CHANCE Horizon 1 on PC can look better than Horizon 2 on PS5. Rockstar already proved game can launch on current gen consoles (GTA5), but when higher quality assets are already there then PC version can look drastically better. However we know most of the time developers arnt going "full Rockstar" with their PC ports, but rather just add some simple tweaks. Based on probability there's a 99% chance Horizon 1 on PC will look like other PS4 ports on PC, yet for some strange reason VFXVeteran is certain Horizon 2 running on PS5 will look worse :D. So there are only two options here. VFXVeteran either saw Horizon 1 running on PC and Horizon 2 already running on PS5, and therefore he base his opinion on hard facts, or he made that up. Which one scenario is more probable to you?

When it comes to his PS5 specs prediction it's possible his friends told him correct information. According to leaks PS5 was planed to launch in 2019 with 8TF SoC, however sony build another and stronger SoC for 2020. So yes, his GTX 1080 comparsion makes sense considering 2019 SoC and it doesnt make him a liar. However he also said there's no way we will get 1080ti like performance in a console. I was the one who asked him about 1080ti, and he has said only delussional people will expect cheap console to offer 1080ti like performance. For me it was really strange, because after all it's not like 1080ti is much faster than 5700XT. Currently (after 12TF leaks in regards to XSX) VFXVeteran started to finally include 1080ti in his estimations, but people will always remember his previous posts and he clearly ridiculed 1080ti estimations before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom