• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopatrol

I mean, I literally just typed "Silicon Design Engineer 2" for Markham, Canada on LinkedIn and it's the first result that is not promoted. It's posted by AMD's actual LinkedIn profile.

I don't know why you can't find it. But it's an actual listing on the website as I linked above.

Another 'insider'. Sorry mate, I don't mean to be rude or negative but i'd rather get my insider info from vetted insiders.

I will do the necessary and add you to my ignore list for now. Hoping the reveal happens soon so that we can all chat about next gen with facts.

Evilms

Banned
I mean, I literally just typed "Silicon Design Engineer 2" for Markham, Canada on LinkedIn and it's the first result that is not promoted. It's posted by AMD's actual LinkedIn profile.

I don't know why you can't find it. But it's an actual listing on the website as I linked above.

on google yes, but it can't be found on amd or linkedin's website.

it's really strange.

The other offers can all be found on amd's website but not this one, it's suspicious.

Last edited:

splattered

is amd's offer true ?
Can anyone confirm this.

1582469392-erdxv1zx0acznzd.jpg

What is the significance of this?

44alltheway

Wait, so wouldn't OsirisBlack OsirisBlack have lost the bet he put forth with Timdog before he was banned? Osiris was betting that the PS5 would be more powerful, and Timdog saying the Xbox would be more powerful. Osiris is now saying Xbox is more powerful lol. I'm not misremembering am I?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Wait, so wouldn't OsirisBlack OsirisBlack have lost the bet he put forth with Timdog before he was banned? Osiris was betting that the PS5 would be more powerful, and Timdog saying the Xbox would be more powerful. Osiris is now saying Xbox is more powerful lol. I'm not misremembering am I?

How can he lose a bet tht isn't decided yet? They are both so close tht within revisions of the dev kits it has gone back and forth. He clearly stated tht the psv final dev kits he did not know about so psv can still end up being stronger or vice versa, no one knows.

Dargor

250,000 dead and 750,000 infected waiting for Soony.

Those numbers are wrong, are you trying to hide the truth!? Its been proved we have a 98% death toll from all the infected, so we actually have 198% more deaths than what you are publishing!

I'm joking in case the phony math didnt give it away!

Norse

So if this virus continues to effect factories,etc I could see even less info coming from Sony and Microsoft. They may not know if they will have enough stock to even launch this year. It's a possibility.

ph33rknot

Banned
This was the first gen in a while where the more powerful console won the sales war (Base consoles).

NES won over Master System
Game Boy won over Game Gear and Lynx
PS1 won over N64.
PS2 won over Xbox and GC
Wii won over PS3 and 360
DS won over PSP

It always points to the cheaper console being the biggest seller. So it's Price > Performance to average joe who just wants this year's Fifa.
Another thing to note is there was a one year advantage for all the winners except for the Wii

Gediminas

Banned
developers says, not he. he just pass the info.
his bet is still valid, because it was made by his personal guess, i guess :D

PaintTinJr

In the last week I’ve been thinking about the whole reveal stand-off and I’m now struggling to convince myself that there is a plausible scenario that the XsX is ahead of the PS5 in performance – other than maybe the obsolete rasterization workloads.

The big issue I have convincing myself that the XsX is more advanced than the PS5 simply comes down to the skills of the staff that each platform holder has doing electrical engineering at their respective companies – and the work they actually do – and the rational that both companies are viewing the next-gen hardware problem from the same perspective, and with the same financial, form factor, power usage constraints – so not expecting a Wii versus 360/PS3 situation – and both are getting identical technology roadmap options from AMD – as even Microsoft couldn’t feasible pay enough to AMD to restrict the options or advice Sony would get for an identical problem, could they?

In a scenario where all the supporting expertise and options are the same - just Sony have an entire business of world class electrical engineers to add - is there any way to argue that it won’t be a repeat of the 360 versus PS3 as a best case for Microsoft in performance terms? Or a repeat of Xbox One versus PS4 in most likely terms - given Sony’s radio silence? Microsoft being the wealthier company would naturally lead to thinking they would have the best staff to engineer the better custom solution by how much they could pay, but in reality Sony have so many more electrical engineering problems – across their company product offerings – for people with those skills, that the idea that such leading experts wouldn’t be working where they could apply themselves to their full potential just doesn’t seem realistic to me(IMHO).

Reindeer

I come back to this thread every 30 or so pages and it gets more and more depressing, now with coronavirus added to the mix. I even see some folk gave up their fanboy posts as it's not even worth posting those anymore lol. Funny how all the "insiders" gone all quite all of a sudden, bunch of frauds they are.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
“Dualshock 5, Sony Interactive Entertainment’s next-generation controller for PS5, will seemingly be using biofeedback to modify user-experience. According to a new Sony Patent, the controller will feature sensors to gather biofeedback from the user’s hands during normal use.”
“The sensor on one or both sides of Dualshock 5 grips are going to track electrodermal activity (sweat secretion) and heart-rate. The biofeedback will then be used by the PlayStation 5 to make adjustments to a user’s gaming experience. How exactly will this happen and what changes we can expect is unknown.”

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
“Dualshock 5, Sony Interactive Entertainment’s next-generation controller for PS5, will seemingly be using biofeedback to modify user-experience. According to a new Sony Patent, the controller will feature sensors to gather biofeedback from the user’s hands during normal use.”
“The sensor on one or both sides of Dualshock 5 grips are going to track electrodermal activity (sweat secretion) and heart-rate. The biofeedback will then be used by the PlayStation 5 to make adjustments to a user’s gaming experience. How exactly will this happen and what changes we can expect is unknown.”

So when I get destroyed 5 games in a row in Rocket League its going to know I am close to a rage induced temper tantrum and slide me into some easy lobbies for awhile?

I like it.

Banned
LOL nice reach fanboy.

oh shut the fuck up :pie_expressionless:
how about saying something about this that is in any way relevant and not just going around calling people fanboys that dare to suggest that a thing amd says could point to earlier leaks that are still of interest...

how about it?

you are clearly a sony fanboy that feels attacked by anything that points to even the possibility that the PS5 could be less powerful...

but ok, for fanboys like you I will add that maybe this doesn't mention the PS5 because Sony told AMD to not mention their system in any of their job offers...
or maybe the wording here is misleading...

but maybe... maaaaaybe the github leak was actually somewhat accurate?

sorry for clarifying the obvious to someone who asked...

it seems like you can't write anything seemingly positive or negative about Sony or Microsoft without also writing the same amount of positive or negative stuff about the other party, or else you're a fanboy... apparently that's how that works now.

Racer!

oh shut the fuck up :pie_expressionless:
how about saying something about this that is in any way relevant and not just going around calling people fanboys that dare to suggest that a thing amd says could point to earlier leaks that are still of interest...

how about it?

you are clearly a sony fanboy that feels attacked by anything that points to even the possibility that the PS5 could be less powerful...

but ok, for fanboys like you I will add that maybe this doesn't mention the PS5 because Sony told AMD to not mention their system in any of their job offers...
or maybe the wording here is misleading...

but maybe... maaaaaybe the github leak was actually somewhat accurate?

sorry for clarifying the obvious to someone who asked...

it seems like you can't write anything seemingly positive or negative about Sony or Microsoft without also writing the same amount of positive or negative stuff about the other party, or else you're a fanboy... apparently that's how that works now.

Yeah Im a Sony fanboy, I`ll admit it.

In the last week I’ve been thinking about the whole reveal stand-off and I’m now struggling to convince myself that there is a plausible scenario that the XsX is ahead of the PS5 in performance – other than maybe the obsolete rasterization workloads.

The big issue I have convincing myself that the XsX is more advanced than the PS5 simply comes down to the skills of the staff that each platform holder has doing electrical engineering at their respective companies – and the work they actually do – and the rational that both companies are viewing the next-gen hardware problem from the same perspective, and with the same financial, form factor, power usage constraints – so not expecting a Wii versus 360/PS3 situation – and both are getting identical technology roadmap options from AMD – as even Microsoft couldn’t feasible pay enough to AMD to restrict the options or advice Sony would get for an identical problem, could they?

In a scenario where all the supporting expertise and options are the same - just Sony have an entire business of world class electrical engineers to add - is there any way to argue that it won’t be a repeat of the 360 versus PS3 as a best case for Microsoft in performance terms? Or a repeat of Xbox One versus PS4 in most likely terms - given Sony’s radio silence? Microsoft being the wealthier company would naturally lead to thinking they would have the best staff to engineer the better custom solution by how much they could pay, but in reality Sony have so many more electrical engineering problems – across their company product offerings – for people with those skills, that the idea that such leading experts wouldn’t be working where they could apply themselves to their full potential just doesn’t seem realistic to me(IMHO).

I hope this wasn’t the start of MS can’t make a console because Sony does hardware. MS is making a ton of hardware today. I would say more than they ever have before. Surface combine with all the azure designs drives that up.

If PS5 is less powerful it’s because they chose a path with a lower AUSP. It’s really that simple.

both have Options and a target price they want to launch at and work back from there.

PaintTinJr

I hope this wasn’t the start of MS can’t make a console because Sony does hardware. MS is making a ton of hardware today. I would say more than they ever have before. Surface combine with all the azure designs drives that up.

If PS5 is less powerful it’s because they chose a path with a lower AUSP. It’s really that simple.

both have Options and a target price they want to launch at and work back from there.

No, I was meaning that in a world of names on products meaning very little (not sure if that applies to Surface tablets) – because global contract manufacturers will do everything from design to store delivery with another company’s name on the product – the main difference is that Sony don’t just have their own people to guide contract manufactures, they do world’s firsts on technology at the level only a handful of companies can in the electronics field, and incorporate their proprietary modules at the point of assembly.

Surely the reason AMD didn’t offer the PS4 design to Microsoft when the Xbox One was designed was because AMD didn’t have that design to offer – but obviously the One X was able to copy the revealed PS4 design some years later.

I’m not suggesting MS can’t make hardware, but in thinking about it, every console Sony has made (with the exception of the PS4) has moved way beyond what was obvious, like a revolutionary design for a console. Microsoft’s Xbox One was a revolutionary design in a way, but then was less powerful and severely bottleneck in comparison to the PS4’s evolutionary design. IMHO it will take MS to do a world's first design to have a better performance console (in RT terms) than PS5, but as you say it might be a lot simplier than that.

Disco_

this poins towards the github leaks that said that the PS5 uses Navi 10 (RDNA 1.0) and the Xbox uses Navi 21/23 (RDNA 2.0)
I think you're reaching a bit.
navi21/22/23 don't support APU modes. And if xsx was 7nm+, it probably wouldn't be ~400mm2. ~400mm2 on 7nm is already enough for ~60cu/rt/zen2/everything else that's coming.

not a fanboy so please try not to lose your shit again

Last edited:
And what have they revealed?
Depends on when you ask them. Sometimes PS5 is ahead, sometimes Series X is ahead. One day they are around 11 teraflops, the other they are around 9, lately they are in the proximity of 10.5tf.

They are great insiders, they share new specs everyday. Much better than those other insiders that are always saying the same thing: both are over 10.7 teraflops, very powerful and very close to each other. Consistent insiders are so boring!

Neofire

Suuuuch a pity you have no idea what your talking about.

Xbox 360 vs ps3 price

If the xbox 360 was more aggressive on price .. they would have won that generation unquestionably.

If the Lockhart is $150 cheaper .. and plays all same games at 1080p60 vs 4k 60 ... it will be the best value by far. It will outsell the Playstation in total sales ... but you can believe whatever you want.
Your optimism is admirable but history says otherwise. Microsoft has yet to win any generation even considering Sony's worse generation almost bankrupt them.

If Microsoft didn't have such deep pockets they would closed shop a long time ago on the Xbox division. Luckily for them the Microsoft brand overall is enough to keep pushing the Xbox.

bitbydeath

Depends on when you ask them. Sometimes PS5 is ahead, sometimes Series X is ahead. One day they are around 11 teraflops, the other they are around 9, lately they are in the proximity of 10.5tf.

They are great insiders, they share new specs everyday. Much better than those other insiders that are always saying the same thing: both are over 10.7 teraflops, very powerful and very close to each other. Consistent insiders are so boring!

C’mon now, why spread fud?
Insiders are consistent, it’s the constant github derailers who you are getting confused with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom