• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So unofficial that Forbes reported it. And if you know more official than corporate earning calls, then I tip my hat:
It's not official because the CFO was mainly talking about the unpredictability of costs, of which the VGC article mentioned the price hikes due to component shortages in its Feb. 14 update. Just because he was not talking about specs, it does not mean the PS5 is less powerful or he's trying to hide the number of TF's. That is a Denying the Antecedent fallacy.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It was only recently that Sony pulled out of PAX East and GDC, which corroborates DeepEnigma's claim that most people had no idea that COVID-19 would be this bad. You would have a point if Sony pulled out at the beginning of February or last month.

Because people at leadership just wake up one day and say cancel everything? These things are planned before.

So Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher your trusted insider knew about the reveal but didn’t know about the cancellation.

LED Guy?

Banned
Oh man!!

Discussing with people who have pretty forceful agendas in these forums is beginning to be very tiring, looks like I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the official specs reveal and see how many crows I can serve, there might be a huge shortage in serving them.

So many information that is so obvious but yet get manipulated for fanboy reasons, alright, not gonna discuss insider wars after this, If anyone needs info to tell them about those insiders, I'll tell them, that's all from me, it's getting very VERY tiring...

Mr Moose

So unofficial that Forbes reported it. And if you know more official than corporate earning calls, then I tip my hat:

It's translated from Japanese, could even be talking about the BOM increase. It's not official, and a Forbes article doesn't make it any more official.
Could he be talking about the competition? Yes, but that isn't clear at all from what he said, if the translation is correct.

There have been some translated comments from Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki on a recent earnings call that are being interpreted as Sony waiting until Microsoft announces the Xbox Series X price in order for them to either match or undercut it. Here’s Totoki:

“What is not very clear or visible is because we are competing in the space, so it’s very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this point of time, and depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy and how much costs we are prepared to pay.”

Yeah I am…less than confident that’s precisely what he’s saying, based on that, but it does make at least logical sense that Sony might wait for Microsoft to go first.

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that these consoles will, as I've stated many times, be *so* negligible in power difference that it will not matter.

As such, people have a hard time believing that things could be so similar. Surely, MS has the money! Surely, Sony has the secret sauce!

I don't think it's going to matter. No big gap like X1 and PS4, no proprietary architecture like PS3/360. Just almost identical and that's a hard thing for people to accept, despite it being the best thing for everyone.

Dory16

Banned
It's not official because the CFO was mainly talking about the unpredictability of costs, of which the VGC article mentioned the price hikes due to component shortages in its Feb. 14 update. Just because he was not talking about specs, it does not mean the PS5 is less powerful or he's trying to hide the number of TF's. That is a Denying the Antecedent fallacy.
Excuse me, it's not official that Sony is waiting out Microsoft on the price although their CFO is explicitely quoted in a Forbes article (and plenty others) saying just that? And you use the word denial to describe the fact that he said what he said?
I don't even know which world I live in anymore.

I said that they are waiting out Microsoft on the price and not the specs. They know Microsoft's specs. Everybody knows them now so it's no longer relevant. What's relevant is they have not come out to say that those official specs won't be the most powerful specs around. They still could, but at this stage, absolutely nothing is keeping them and they haven't. If it was the price, they would have announced theirs immediately after. That's what their CFO Totoki said.
Smh @ reading comprehension skills these days.

demigod

The GitHub leaks are real, just accept that already. we know the chip in this leak is real and we know it was made specifically for Sony. what possible use could they have for a chip with that kind of performance other than the PS5?
and we also know that the chip is not old and thrown out since it got new revisions.

just, come on... I still don't know how this data could be swept under the rug by anyone who takes a critical look at the whole situation at the moment. There is still no logical explanation that explains this chip away... an RDNA chip that has modes that exactly match PS4 and PS4pro.
especially now that we have numbers by Microsoft that fit the very same leaks as well... how the hell can one just absolutely ignore this?

Hilarious how people like you keep trying to push the github leak as facts when a developer in this very thread has stated PS5 final specs are not 9TF.

Man who was it that said even if PS5 is revealed at 11-12TF there would be people like him that wouldn't believe it? I need that quote :messenger_tears_of_joy:

jon3sy9

Neo Member
If Series X is 599 then 90%+ will probably buy Lockhart (if it exists) and the whole power narrative will be meaningless for everyone except a small group who own next gen Xbox. All the while 90% of PS5 owners will play superior versions to 90% of Xbox gamers. Sad but true. But hey, at least Dealer and co will be happy.
series x will be $30.99 a month including game pass ultimate. they advertised in december that if u get an xbox one x before the end of december u can upgrade for free to the series x. thats what i bought, 2 years 0% $740 for console and game pass ultimate. every 1st party title at release and loads of 3rd party games. its such a bargain. i wouldnt buy 2 on all access though because u can game share and set 1 as home console and both consoles can use game pass with 1 subscription.

Covid-19 is much more serious than some seem to realize. It isn't a pandemic yet, but it very well could become one.

These things are not to be taken lightly. They are deadly. My old man was on the frontlines in the hospitals from the 50s on..through many other pandemics(H2N2, H3N1, H1N1). Many of the ones that evolved and struck humans.

Any effort to contain it is a welcome effort.

The GitHub leaks are real, just accept that already. we know the chip in this leak is real and we know it was made specifically for Sony. what possible use could they have for a chip with that kind of performance other than the PS5?
and we also know that the chip is not old and thrown out since it got new revisions.

just, come on... I still don't know how this data could be swept under the rug by anyone who takes a critical look at the whole situation at the moment. There is still no logical explanation that explains this chip away... an RDNA chip that has modes that exactly match PS4 and PS4pro.
especially now that we have numbers by Microsoft that fit the very same leaks as well... how the hell can one just absolutely ignore this?

because forum posters with 3rd hand knowledge is better evidence than hard data

Mr Moose

Excuse me, it's not official that Sony is waiting out Microsoft on the price although their CFO is explicitely quoted in a Forbes article (and plenty others) saying just that? And you use the word denial to describe the fact that he said what he said?

I said that they are waiting out Microsoft on the price and not the specs. They know Microsoft's specs. Everybody knows them now so it's no longer relevant. What's relevant is they have not come out to say that those official specs won't be the most powerful specs around. They still could, but at this stage, absolutely nothing is keeping them and they haven't. If it was the price, they would have announced theirs immediately after. That's what their CFO Totoki said.
Did you not read the Forbes article?

I'll bold parts for you.

There have been some translated comments from Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki on a recent earnings call that are being interpreted as Sony waiting until Microsoft announces the Xbox Series X price in order for them to either match or undercut it.

Yeah I am…less than confident that’s precisely what he’s saying

Last edited:

Audiophile

One thing that amazes me with consoles and similar devices is the poor quality of thermal paste and thermal paste application. Why on earth do they not mandate that it is done to a higher quality. It'll probably negate loads of thermal issues that occur; and is such a simple link in the chain to correct?!

Both my PS4 Pro and my £2K Dell laptop looked like a 3yr old just bunged some playdough in there when I opened them up.

FERN

Hilarious how people like you keep trying to push the github leak as facts when a developer in this very thread has stated PS5 final specs are not 9TF.

Man who was it that said even if PS5 is revealed at 11-12TF there would be people like him that wouldn't believe it? I need that quote :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Reminds me of flat earthers. You could take some of those people to space to see the earth with their own eyes and they would still believe the earth is flat.

As someone who currently has no intention to invest in MS hardware again (due to games coming to PC) I'd just like to say I am happy the system is so powerful. Good on them.

However, I'm concerned about the two potential elephants in the room. The PS5 matching these specs and Lockhart.

I'm hoping that Sony pulls a fast one for the good of a common high baseline and that Lockhart either goes away or gets a spec boost that allows it to not kneecap what the Series X and potential high spec PS5 could accomplish.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nice strawman fallacy. Can't make a rebuttal? Intentionally over-exaggerate and misconstrue the point that was put forth.

Oh okay so he’s right until.... he’s right? He would know about the reveal but not the cancelation. So either I’m right or they changed

Did you miss the tweet where the dude from EA said he had to cancel his GDC meetings because EA told him not to go at the last minute? Corona Virus is real.

GDC meeting vs planned product reveal

I don't fucking care. You don't believe him, then that's perfectly fine, but the strawman you are constructing is hardly a "gotcha".

You do care apparently. I don’t know who is this Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher dude and why some of you defend him. At least OsirisBlack OsirisBlack showed Mod of War Mod of War that he’s worth the trust.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Series X is 599 then 90%+ will probably buy Lockhart (if it exists) and the whole power narrative will be meaningless for everyone except a small group who own next gen Xbox. All the while 90% of PS5 owners will play superior versions to 90% of Xbox gamers. Sad but true. But hey, at least Dealer and co will be happy.
Probably true.

I don’t have data as Sony and MS never broke out sales but pretty sure the OG systems sold more than Pro and X. Not in total but even just during the last few years when they came out.

Unless it’s something gamers find really odd (like gamers seeming to shun those 360 and PS3 systems with no HDD/tiny HDD I favour of paying more for systems with good HDD sizes), most gamers will probably get the cheap system as long as it’s good enough

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A change to an event like that would be widely known to the people in the know. Why wouldn’t he hear about a change?

Really? Because there is this...

Did you miss the tweet where the dude from EA said he had to cancel his GDC meetings because EA told him not to go at the last minute? Corona Virus is real.

EA employee should have been in the know.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Oh okay so he’s right until.... he’s right? He would know about the reveal but not the cancelation. So either I’m right or they changed

GDC meeting vs planned product reveal

You do care apparently. I don’t know who is this Tommy Fisher Tommy Fisher dude and why some of you defend him. At least OsirisBlack OsirisBlack showed Mod of War Mod of War that he’s worth the trust.

Wtf do you mean? He's said few things before certain ppl and it's playing out right. Even put up a graph I'm interested in seeing if it's real tht had <>of both consoles with psv being ahead on most fronts.

Secondly idk if you were around but mod of War clarified things. Tommy did contact mod showed him some info that seemed reliable but didn't want to out his sources hence him not going through with complete verification but mod of War explaining thts why he wasn't banned bcus his info might be on point.

Last edited:
Step 1: Read headline
Step 2: Read article (optional)

Actual quote:
“First, we must absolutely control the labour cost, the personnel cost, it must be controlled,” Totoki said. “And the initial ramp up, how much can we prepare initially, we will work on the production and the sales and we will have to prepare the right volume as we launch this.

“What is not very clear or visible is because we are competing in the space, so it’s very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this point of time, and depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy and how much costs we are prepared to pay.

“So it’s a question of balance,” Totoki continued, “and because it’s a balancing act it’s very difficult to say anything concrete at this point of time, but when I said smooth transition, we mean that we will definitely choose the optimal approach and that we will try to have the best balance so that we will be profitable in the life, during the life of this product.”
The main concern expressed from the CFO is balancing costs and profits. Sony doesn't want to, for instance, announce the price of an equally powerful console only for Microsoft to undercut that. That will make Sony look bad because consumers will see that as a company who just wants to milk money from its customers.

Nothing is keeping them from staying quiet either. Just because Sony hasn't said anything about the PS5's specs, it does not mean they are hiding them or that the PS5 is less powerful. Assuming intentions over silence and subjective interpretations over a translation is a fallacious argument.

Smh @ you failing at logic.

No, it's that it may be plausible that Sony had plans to reveal more info earlier this month, but COVID-19 threw a wrench into those plans, making Tommy's info outdated.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm hoping Lockhart is as affordable as possible since I need to buy 2 for my boys to upgrade from their X1S units. The type of stuff kids like to play right now doesn't exactly take a super computer to run. They do Minecraft, Fortnite, Roblox, Apex, etc. The most intensive game they're into right now is probably Ark. I just think they'd like to brag about have new systems and enjoy seeing the inevitable RT implementation in Minecraft, and likely Fortnite. So yeah, $249-299 would be great. I'll probably just upgrade my PC and buy a PS5 after a year or 2 when there's enough exclusives.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

because devs in the industry have told multiple different reporters The complete opposite.

You can either trust real people who trusted other real people or some out of context numbers that may or may not be up to date.
Up to you.
Just don't go around expecting everyone else to have zero faith in half a dozen different journalists and insiders.

penello is a fucking joke, he believed Colbert and others that are clearly there with an xbox agenda was right (without reason)PS5 is 8TFlops and he ran with it.

Penello mentioned 8TF because Sony themselves mentioned 8TF as a requirement for native 4K around the time PS4Pro was coming out and they were giving more info on Pro's checkerboard rendering technique.

So would that mean Sony has an agenda against themselves? It doesn't make a lot of sense. But I agree Penello was low-balling and it's likely Sony threw out the 8TF claim based on then-current architecture and features. Would give them benefit of the doubt however and just say they were being overly conservative and (maybe) also was going off original 2019 launch plans for PS5 if those rumors are accurate (there's enough circumstantial evidence around to lend that idea some credibility).

because devs in the industry have told multiple different reporters The complete opposite.

You can either trust real people who trusted other real people or some out of context numbers that may or may not be up to date.
Up to you.
Just don't go around expecting everyone else to have zero faith in half a dozen different journalists and insiders.

Since when are insiders reporters? You could arguably say Jason is a reporter, but an editor and writer aren't quite the same thing as a reporter. Additionally, there isn't a lot of context to the position of the devs that have spoken with insiders, or when they spoke with them, etc. Tho some like Osiris have provided some further details on that front that are appreciated.

I don't think anyone should be clinging to the Github stuff 100%, but there are other sources in addition to insiders that are at least seemingly as credible. And some of those, also have actual data out there that can be analyzed (in fact several products have confirmed the validity of that very data that's been found).

Honestly at this point anyone putting all their faith into only one source are probably going to have a rude awakening in a few months from now, if not sooner. But that's just how things go with next-gen console discussion seems like xD.

Last edited:

Up to you.
It's not just that, but the context of the GitHub leak also matters. The CU count is exactly the same as the PS4 Pro and its incredibly doubtful that a retail SKU will clock a GPU at 2 Ghz, suggesting that it is a BC stress test.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Penello mentioned 8TF because Sony themselves mentioned 8TF as a requirement for native 4K around the time PS4Pro was coming out and they were giving more info on Pro's checkerboard rendering technique.

So would that mean Sony has an agenda against themselves? It doesn't make a lot of sense. But I agree Penello was low-balling and it's likely Sony threw out the 8TF claim based on then-current architecture and features. Would give them benefit of the doubt however and just say they were being overly conservative and (maybe) also was going off original 2019 launch plans for PS5 if those rumors are accurate (there's enough circumstantial evidence around to lend that idea some credibility).

Since when are insiders reporters? You could arguably say Jason is a reporter, but an editor and writer aren't quite the same thing as a reporter. Additionally, there isn't a lot of context to the position of the devs that have spoken with insiders, or when they spoke with them, etc. Tho some like Osiris have provided some further details on that front that are appreciated.

I don't think anyone should be clinging to the Github stuff 100%, but there are other sources in addition to insiders that are at least seemingly as credible. And some of those, also have actual data out there that can be analyzed (in fact several products have confirmed the validity of that very data that's been found).

Honestly at this point anyone putting all their faith into only one source are probably going to have a rude awakening in a few months from now, if not sooner. But that's just how things go with next-gen console discussion seems like xD.
Jason, reiner, colin are all reporters. Klee an ex reporter.

And i did make the distinction by saying reporters AND insiders.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I shouldn’t even have to explain how the situations are totally different, but even if it was last minute, Klee would know in the same way he found out about it in the first place.
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom