• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ12

Flat earthers right now:

giphy.gif

Cannot say we didn't say github lacked context, now we have a bit of context in that it wasn't the final PS5 chip. Such a shame R600 decided to ban himself, would've been funny him telling everyone AMD is wrong too.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Does someone have a link for me that says RDNA2 is 50% perf/watt increase over RDNA ?
In the spoiler tags in the OP

Gamernyc78

Banned
actually I think Microsoft sold a lot of consoles for what they offered. So if they go all out with AAA single-player games next-generation they can catch up again.

Catch up again? Ps3 outsold Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month during its lifetime with less reputable online, online going down, inferior multiplats and being hundreds more. Nothing Xbox does will bring them close to catching up as long as Sony doesn't have a monumental fuck up.

Last edited:

Ellery

In the spoiler tags in the OP

Thanks. That would indeed be impressive and make a lot of sense for consoles, because I always doubted that Sony and Microsoft would do a 350W+ console, but rather stick with a 200W or lower console and if it is true what AMD is saying then RDNA2 would definitely be the way to achieve that for series X and PS5.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So there were also rumors the PS5 RT is better than XSX RT. I guess we can eliminate that as well since both are RDNA2.
Honestly wasn't super logical in the first place; would be weird of Sony to develop something outside of what AMD was doing for RT>

HawarMiran

Banned
Catch up again? Ps3 outsold Xbox 360 world wide almost every single month during its lifetime with less reputable online, online going down, inferior multiplats and being hundreds more. Nothing Xbox does will bring them close ir catching up as long as Sony doesn't have a monumental fuck up.
I mean 50 mio consoles is too much for the shit they offered this gen. Forza? meh. Recore? meh. Sea of thieves? meh. Almost everything they offered was trash (in my humble opinion). They have good games too but I played those on PC like Ori or Scalebound (goootemmm :p). Seriousy tho I loved Ori.

With all this said they still managed to sell 50 mio? Sony should have sold 150-200 mio then. You get me now?

Last edited:

DaMonsta

Just ignore them.

H5sBkMn.jpg

"I'd give SONY 12h."LMFAO Who dose he think he is?
I mean I wish I could. But people in this thread seem obsessed with their every word so they have to post them here. I wish we could ban that kinda stuff. Ads nothing to the thread, just leads to pages long circle jerks about nothing.

geordiemp

So there were also rumors the PS5 RT is better than XSX RT. I guess we can eliminate that as well since both are RDNA2.

Hardware wise they are the same (If they have the same CU numbers). Software wise is it not MS API vs Sony API ?

Maybe it could be something else (Memory / bandwidth / other). Who knows.

Could be all crap.

Last edited:
Nope, been on the internet a long time and those comments were made specifically for you guys to quote and share them.

Oh yeah, you surely have seen it all.

Just look at the kinda of shit these people post on the web, it's right there at their profiles. Seeing them as rabid fanboys is not a far stretch.

But than again, maybe you don't like it because they are not Sony fans?

I mean I wish I could. But people in this thread seem obsessed with their every word so they have to post them here. I wish we could ban that kinda stuff. Ads nothing to the thread, just leads to pages long circle jerks about nothing.

You know what adds a lot to the thread? You just jumping on this. If you don't like it, just ignore.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
I’m gonna hazard a guess to say that this is what my friend was taking about, however I’m still hoping for something else, something more. Early days yet. 👍🏻

But nice to know something came from this as I said.

Also with it being on 7nm only that also confirms what I said about it being a sort of almost 1.9 rather than a full 2.0 RDNA, so there’s that too.

I would call this a win for me tonight :)

Let’s keep going and see what else tonight brings 👍🏻
It's a win for me too! What did you do to get your win?

PaintTinJr

Most problems with cooling aren't because of air flow. You can't cheat basic physics so if you use air to cool something down, you need certain volume and flow rates. Does your console still work? So it's properly cooled. Is it a whiny bitch like my PS4Pro? The fan is operating at higher speed so it doesn't overheat (because then it shuts down to protect it from frying).

Most problems with cooling happen on the contact between the chip and the radiator. If it doesn't stick very, very tightly, you'll get air between them. Air is a good insulator (so it's bad in this case). To prevent that situation, thermal paste is used. But it may be badly applied (imagine some poor Chinese guy assembling his 50th console that day),, or it may wear over time. Another thing is dust and other particles inside the box and fan wear. I'm not sure if PS fans (I don't mean ponies here ;) are stock pieces you can buy easily.
Anyway, I need to open my PS4 soon before hot days come, clean it, change the paste, maybe polish the radiator surface, check if the fan can be replaced... I don't recommend doing that on your own if you have no experience.

I agree with your point about air insulating, and the need for “contact between the chip and the radiator”, however, in my experience CPUs have a huge thermal window to operate in; a mobile Core i5 in a laptop being passively cooled because of broken fan can handle 70c for an hour before shutting off to protect the chip from my experience. IMHO I don’t think a whiny Pro is the result of an overheating APU – unless getting the PS4 OS official overheating message that probably indicates a fan fault.

I’m pretty sure the console memory temperature is the main culprit for whiny fans. The memory industry sees performance increases linearly, and processor industry sees performance increases at a quadratically rate. So I suspect console engineers have less latitude to improve memory bandwidth significantly without pushing too close to the limit. As an example, in the original PS3 repairs failing to return one thermal pad to a memory chip (or even a tear in one) would result in a failed repair. But in the first instance I’m not suggesting you open your Pro at all to replace thermal pads, clean fans or use new thermal grease, primarily because of a situation with my friend’s whiny Pro I fixed.

So my friend’s Pro had been running quite loud for awhile, but he assumed it was fine other than he had annoyingly lost use of ATMOS in his 4k hdr setup and could only get Dolby surround, and his 500GB was always full requiring him to delete a game before getting a new one. After getting him to replace the 10m hdmi lead with a better rigid cable – as I assumed the loss of ATMOS was hdmi handshaking errors - his ATMOS sound returned, but the console was then running so load it sounded like it was going to take off and every hour or so gaming he would lose picture for a few seconds. I was going to service his Pro for him with new thermal pads, dust with compressed air and thermal grease the APU when I got the stuff, but in the meantime he got another friend to crack it open and dust it out the fan, and it made zero difference and the console was as loud as ever. So when I saw him next, we took the fan access panel off, had a look and I vacuum-ed the side vents too using a paper straw as a vacuum mini funnel, which again made no difference...remembering his HDD was always full, I suggested the drive could be on its way out – something that would massively stress the console’s memory, so as a first check, backuped up his saves to the cloud with PSN, removed the PS4 hdd, formatted on a PC with a full format – had to cancel after 120GB it was going to take a day and a half – then did a quick format. Downloaded the full sized PS4 firmware from Playstation, and then inserted the hdd in the ps4, and restored the PS4 firmware and his saves from PSN, and his consoles is now quieter than before, but with ATMOS working, so well worth a try before breaking Pro security seals IMHO..

Obviously, not much of this is relevant to the thread, other than how it applies to issues that both XsX and PS5 will face with noise levels and thermals, along with choices about memory. And the benefits off going twin GPU if it allows for running two memory pools lower, while effectively adding their bandwidths without the same heat and stress of a single pool at twice the bandwidth.

If the DDR4 memory rumour for PS5 is correct then I would expect the DDR4 to be situated between the GDDR6 and Sony using heatsinks to let GDDR6 dissipate excess heat through the DDR4 modules.

Tsaki

If PS5 is indeed RDNA2 (99% sure now that it is) then the RT would be on par I guess. Keep in mind though that the rumours could be true if Sony has more mature software tools than MS has at this point, an advantage that I expect to pretty much be 0 by the time the consoles release (again if indeed the RT at the silicon level is the same for both).

Banned
9.2TF is based on Navi 10.
RDNA 2 is Navi 2X.

I want to hear from Sony directly, but signs are pointing in the direction of the PS5 not being 9.2TF.

what signs? all we have are rumours, and a chip that was rdna1 can later in development be replaced with a similarity performing chip using rdna2

nothing today gives any indication on how the PS5's final performance will be.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
It might be because XSX is using DXR and that might not be efficient as whatever PS5 is using. Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens what did you hear about RT for both?

RT for PS5 is standard amd based RT implementation, as you would expect. SX I was told used a different approach and it’s since come out as being DXR, however performance wise, I was actually told they had slight gains over the other implementation, and that was the reason for the switch.

But the thing is with this sort of info, it can change, and can be improved over time. Plus, not only the hardware but the software can utilise it much better. Older info was the SX was slower but from what I gather that was on old DK1 style kits. I would peg the RT versus competition as a draw personally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom