• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shio

On the subject of fakes, I just saw this floating about, and now my heart breaks it’s not real...
VKFD5Tr.jpg
Even as a grip, like those bluetooth ipega pads that stretch and attach to mobile phones this would be awesome.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Not necessarily, they could use the same hardware, but both have different OS and RT solution. On PC ground, Vulkan shits on DirectX and it's open-source/free. Still, it could be temporary, with Xbox maturing in the final stages. AMD is more into Vulkan anyway so probably needed to work closer with Microsoft to lesser the gap.

86100.png

Way to be picky. Just look at benchmarks and framerates here, where vulkan produces much lower minimum FPS than direct x12:

Evilms

Banned
G3YeVJhTHvbUvxXe9QUYKZ-1024-80.jpg
AMD-Radeon-RX-NAVI-2X-RDNA2-Specs.jpg

AMD-Radeon-RX-NAVI-2X-RDNA2-Roadmap-1600x884.jpg

Ray tracing possible only on RDNA2 and plus.

This proves that either ps5 or xsx, both will be in rdna2, since both are announced with the hardware ray tracing.

As you already know if you are a regular reader of our website, AMD will provide custom SoC (system on a chip) for both gaming systems based on their latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 microarchitectures.

Last edited:

Fake

It could only mean that the PS5's form factor will be small. Just my thoughts.

As far I know, could means a quiet/silent cooling system, with in the PC market they're quite expensive as well. This is by far the best guess taking into consideration how loud the PS4PRO have being this gen.

Even my base PS4 get loud sometimes playing God of War, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn...

DaGwaphics

On the subject of fakes, I just saw this floating about, and now my heart breaks it’s not real...
VKFD5Tr.jpg

I feel like they'd have to call it Series P, then strip the screen and battery and sell a console as Series S, and then have the X. PSX would be just too funny to pass on.

Amaranty

Imagine the amount of logic we can extract.
'RDNA 2.0 don't even need a fan'
'Sony is looking for a plane turbine'
'RDNA 2.0 don't make heat'
'Maybe is a custom GCN with RDNA 2.0 features'
Or it's in a small form factor or it's overclocked so it needs better cooling or both.

EDIT: 'RDNA2 don't make heat' - Everything that runs on electricity generates heat.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
There will be NO 7nm+, they'll jump straight to 5nm later in the CPU space. That seems the case with the GPU's as well, so there is no such thing as 1.9. I'm pointing at you Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens :lollipop_horns:

147734.jpg

ACHTULLY.

What I said was we don’t know if it’s rdna1 or rdna 2, because the process seems to be 7nm, but there was RT and the like, which contradicted each other. So what I was told was it’s essentially RDNA 1, with everything required bolted on, essentially meaning as close to rdna 2 as you can get without the smaller 7nm+.

What came out was that the consoles are using RDNA2 function on a 7nm process and not a 7nm+ one. So all the healthy vitamins and minerals of RDNA2 7nm+ but on a 7nm process.

Ergo, correct 🥰 I never said it was CALLED 1.9, that would be daft. Can be called AMD HotDogs for all I care.

Last edited:

DJ12

There will be NO 7nm+, they'll jump straight to 5nm later in the CPU space. That seems the case with the GPU's as well, so there is no such thing as 1.9. I'm pointing at you Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens :lollipop_horns:

147734.jpg
Didn't someone say they are using 7nm+, just they are not referring to it that way anymore?

They said they are using the latest 7nm technology I believe during the Q&A, pretty sure someone posted it here somewhere during the night.

Farrell55

Banned
So 12tflop rDNA 2 would draw a a peak of about 175watt? If 12tflop RDNA1 would be about 250w?

If this is the case it makes me wonder why the sxs is such a different and large design if the GPU draw the same power as the x1x's GPU.
Thats only the GPU Part, you forgot the CPU (30-40w) and Memory Setup 30w

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So if rDNA 2 is 50% better ppw then RDNA1 does that mean XSX is the equivalent of a 24tf gcn?

Wow if so.

No, it doesn't work that way. It's 50% more efficient per watt. That doesn't mean it's 50% more powerful overall. I'd expect an overall 20% increase (over RDNA1 GPUs) in power overall when you are comparing it game to game. Or about 50% more powerful game for game when compared to a GCN GPU.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
ACHTULLY.

What I said was we don’t know if it’s rdna1 or rdna 2, because the process seems to be 7nm, but there was RT and the like, which contradicted each other. So what I was told was it’s essentially RDNA 1, with everything required bolted on, essentially meaning as close to rdna 2 as you can get without the smaller 7nm+.

What came out was that the consoles are using RDNA2 function on a 7nm process and not a 7nm+ one. So all the healthy vitamins and minerals of RDNA2 7nm+ but on a 7nm process.

Ergo, correct 🥰 I never said it was CALLED 1.9, that would be daft. Can be called AMD HotDogs for all I care.

They could easily move from GCN > RDNA1 then to RDNA2 to keep the development process going and avoid having no launch games or good games within 1-2 years. So that doesn't mean your sources aren't correct. That might even mean we could expect some games were using that "blasphemous" 9.2TF since 2017 and should be ready at launch, or even the 14.2TF we heard back then as well with promises of those gains over previous architectures.

147734.jpg

To be fair to Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens , I think he was working off the assumption "full" RDNA2 was 7nm EUV (as many of us were thinking until yesterday) and that the consoles were going to use 7nm instead of EUV. So any RDNA2 features would've been pulled from the roadmap onto custom APUs of 7nm process node. Doing so could effectively consider them RDNA2 even if they weren't EUV.

Then AMD sideblinded a lot of us by showing RDNA2 was 7nm all along and they're skipping right to 5nm for RDNA3. 7nm EUV's been left in the dust. So I can't hold that against him for speculating RDNA 1.9, a lot of us were speculating similar since we didn't have a full picture of what RDNA2 actually entailed process node-wise.

EDIT: Never mind, he already answered this himself. Hate it when I jump the gun on replies xD.

Speaking of heat in consoles, next gen should benefit A LOT from this with high TF numbers that seemed impossible to some in a small form factor. This should put the large form factor necessity to rest.

147733.jpg

Just about. It does raise some questions about XSX's form factor, then. It's not massive honestly, but it is unusual compared to typical consoles. I think it fits the theory of them giving some headroom to upclock if they feel the need to against PS5.

So there's a chance PS5 will be more traditional in its size (I hope it's stylized like the V-shaped devkit, just a bit more muted in some areas and smaller sized would do).

pawel86ck pawel86ck So the 13.45TF listing is like its weakest form? Jeezuz. Welp never mind then, I guess the next-gen systems won't quite outdo a 2080TI when it gets serious.

BUT, it's still very impressive how much they blow past the normal 2080 and that alone should commended. They basically fall pretty evenly between 2080 Super and 2080TI (non OC'd), from the looks of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom