• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
display-683x1024.jpg
Higher resolution:

ESWKbR5UwAQam6I

I just wanna say that I've noticed lately that both PS and Xbox fans here are now closing the gap and having a more mutual ground, which is great for the forum, but probably not that good for memers.

3rlull.jpg
I mean, Xbox fans are slowly realising that PS5 will do everything SeX does, but better and with games also. Even the most arrogant and stubborn of the enemies can't deny an evident defeat.

Dunnas

While I think there is very little doubt PS5 will be RDNA2, miscomprehension issues like this are what causes a lot of problems around here.

The only slide you posted that specifically mentions RDNA2 is the last one. While it does use the word “consoles” there, that would still be the correct English to use for that sentence, given what it is actually saying, even if only one of the next gen consoles was RDNA2. It would actually still be accurate even if none of the consoles coming this year used it.

llien

Two important things to mention here is that consoles run at lower clocks/voltages than Graphic Cards and you are also comparing the TDP of a graphic cards (which is not something you should do) to a possible 13TF RDNA2 Unit. The TDP doesn't mean power usage during certain tasks but is the thermal design power, which is slightly different.
I took actual power usage of 5700XT.

13TF RDNA2 should be much lower than 201 watt. If you factor in lower clocks aswell (which is a given for consoles because they don't have gigantic cooling solutions like graphic cards) to hit the sweetspot then you will end up at lower than 201 W.
Well, it depends on the number of CUs, at the end of the day, but yes, surely.

sorry but 9.2 is still the most likely scenario so ill take your post as sad cope
Sorry but I would take it as sarcasm.
I won't partecipate much in this theoric discussions if not for brief opinions and jokes, both consoles will probably be good as I don't see plausible a second "One debacle" for MS nor a "we are da boss debacle" for Sony after PS3, this is what I care for, the rest is hardcore blabbering in my eyes. I don't give a damn what's more likely, all of this will be dust in few months at best. Not trying to bash the purpose of the thread, but FOR ME and my idea of using my time, staying days discussing how many pretzels will be in a console when I literally have a company who wants and will tell me exactly that after a while it's useless.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
While I think there is very little doubt PS5 will be RDNA2, miscomprehension issues like this are what causes a lot of problems around here.

The only slide you posted that specifically mentions RDNA2 is the last one. While it does use the word “consoles” there, that would still be the correct English to use for that sentence, given what it is actually saying, even if only one of the next gen consoles was RDNA2. It would actually still be accurate even if none of the consoles coming this year used it.
I know you’re helping, but your not helping.

MarkMe2525

Ps has always been the strongest console at the time they launch .
Sega has always had the strongest console at the time they launched. I wouldn't call this a strong argument to make a point though when they never launched alongside another console. Only once has Sony's launch aligned with another consoles launch.

Edit: My statement is only true for US launches. So depended on what qualifiers one is using, my point may not be that strong either.

Last edited:

Ellery

No, that is not how the math works. A 50% increase in performance per what does actually mean 100 to 150fps at 100 watts. The 33% figure is the reduction in wattage for the same performance. For example.

RDNA - 100w = 100 fps

RDN2 - 100w = 150 Ffps
RDNA2 - 66.66w = 100 FPS - a 33% reduction in watts for the same fps as RDNA2

We will have to wait on the third party benchmarks for RDNA2 graphic cards to make 100% sure.

The reality is AMD (and also Nvidia and Intel) use the biggest numbers in their best case scenarios to show off.

I am not quite ready to believe it translates that amazingly well into real world performance. As we have seen with the Radeon VII (GCN) and 5700 XT (RDNA) where AMD also claimed 50%, but in reviews the 5700 XT had 23% lower power consumption for the same performance during gaming.

Sadly we will have to wait a long time for confirmation. I would love to have clarity aswell.

I don't have any problems with your maths. I basically did the same thing some pages back, but the more I think about it the less likely it seems that the jump works that well as we have seen with the Radeon VII and 5700 XT.
We would probably need to isolate the memory controller and RAM power draw aswell from it (which is basically impossible).

People should be hyped, but people should not go full bonkers and expect RDNA2 to be so good that a theoretical 9.7 TF 210W RDNA2 GPU would be 50% faster than an 5700 XT.

I took actual power usage of 5700XT.

Hmm weird 225 is exactly the TDP of the reference card. I was looking at actual benchmark tests and the power draw during gaming was 200-210W ~

Where do you get your numbers from?

Last edited:

llien

Where do you get your numbers from?
(average gaming)
AIBs go higher:
Some go way higher:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So there were also rumors the PS5 RT is better than XSX RT. I guess we can eliminate that as well since both are RDNA2.

Not necessarily, they could use the same hardware, but both have different OS and RT solution. On PC ground, Vulkan shits on DirectX and it's open-source/free. Still, it could be temporary, with Xbox maturing in the final stages. AMD is more into Vulkan anyway so probably needed to work closer with Microsoft to lesser the gap.

86100.png

RookX22

Not necessarily, they could use the same hardware, but both have different OS and RT solution. On PC ground, Vulkan shits on DirectX and it's open-source/free. Still, it could be temporary, with Xbox maturing in the final stages. AMD is more into Vulkan anyway so probably needed to work closer with Microsoft to lesser the gap.

86100.png

This is what I was thinking as soon as they said they were working with microsoft for their api, I knew vulkan would be a good choice lets hope they use it or atleast a modified version.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is what I was thinking as soon as they said they were working with microsoft for their api, I knew vulkan would be a good choice lets hope they use it or atleast a modified version.

It doesn't mean that PS5 is using Vulkan anyway, but we are 100% sure Sony won't use DirectX12 or DXR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom