• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FERN

The mummy OsirisBlack Returns!

:messenger_heart::messenger_grinning_sweat: OsirisBlack OsirisBlack
200.gif

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
He shouldn't had to, it's all good, we all friends here (i think).
We should all be friends.
Concerning R600, I think it's stretching it to assume he took a self-ban because of some overwhelming proof from the "opposing view", in the same manner that we shouldn't assume SonGoku abandoned thread for some similar case. Furthermore, as in my own experience with taking a self-ban months ago, I needed to focus on more important things than circular arguments about the vagaries of electronic toys. Instead of arguing, we could all be working together to create something new and amazing with our passion for games, but regretfully, it is highly addictive to argue as seen with "The Dress" viral phenomenom(blue and black vs white and gold). Looking at my post history, I focus almost exclusively on this thread, while other great threads are passed over. I'm trying to be better than that.
42f3c297041f68df59c1a3643da43f85.jpg

Last edited:

Jonsoncao

Banned
I feel like having much more fun watching the people in this thread (and some others) dancing, jumping, name calling in this thread after the AMD financial analyst stream than the whole PS5 vs XSX thing itself.

The PS5 vs XSX is not that interesting as the most logical speculation would be the two consoles will be on par in terms of raw power (as I stated way back).

Last edited:

SSfox

Why do you think it's more likely with RDNA2?

The hard part was the SPU tailored code, which, while being GPU-ey for a CPU, still won't translate perfectly to a GPU. PS3 emulation is still heavy on the CPU side. Sony being the manufacturer will no doubt have a more efficient time of it than emulators, but I don't think some more compute capacity on the GPU is going to make or break PS3 emu here.

Still think it's going to be PS4, and then the solution for the PS3 will be streaming. I'm just hoping we get upgrades to PS4 games, at least the Pro level patches, and then allow devs to patch for even beyond the Pro on the 5, this might be my earliest console purchase if that's the case, I've usually waited for a larger library but if it already takes all my PS4 games and upgrades them...

The more PS5 will be more powerful, the easiest it would be for Sony to put BC, i guess.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I feel like having much more fun watching the people in this thread (and some others) dancing, jumping, name calling in this thread after the AMD financial analyst stream than the whole PS5 vs XSX thing itself.

The PS5 vs XSX is not that interesting as the most logical speculation would be the two consoles will be on par in terms of raw power (as I stated way back).

That's a really long form way of just posting: popcorn.gif

The PS5 vs. XSX is VERY interesting because there are a group of individuals who are pushing a meme that the PS5 will be a gimped system with only 9.2 or less TF. This is obviously crazy. There is no way Sony would not launch a console with less than 12 TF (to have twice the TF of the XBox One X) and most likely 12.6TF so they can say the PS5 has three times the TFs of the PS4 Pro.

The simple truth is that the GPU in the PS5 was not in the Github leak.

Sinthor

Gold Member

Ummm... how about this lower drama alternative then... Instead of requesting a "ban" for whatever reason, simply don't visit the forum for a while? I've done it before. I know that may seem like crazy talk, but just not signing in and participating in a forum IS an option! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Edit- just to be clear, this was directed at another comment about people requesting 'self bans' NOT aimed at @CrustryBritches!

Last edited:
The PS5 vs. XSX is VERY interesting because there are a group of individuals who are pushing a meme that the PS5 will be a gimped system with only 9.2 or less TF. This is obviously crazy. There is no way Sony would not launch a console with less than 12 TF (to have twice the TF of the XBox One X) and most likely 12.6TF so they can say the PS5 has three times the TFs of the PS4 Pro.

The simple truth is that the GPU in the PS5 was not in the Github leak.
Especially True given the Mark Cerny demoed a "Low-Powered" devkit to wired.
What was that devkit running? 6TF?
Cmon. 9.2TF was the ancient low powered devkit Cerny referred to.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Ummm... how about this lower drama alternative then... Instead of requesting a "ban" for whatever reason, simply don't visit the forum for a while? I've done it before. I know that may seem like crazy talk, but just not signing in and participating in a forum IS an option! :messenger_winking_tongue:
2 paths to the same outcome. Anyway, I'll stand by what I said. It's addictive to go in circles here in this thread, and we could be something more. Looking both of our post history, it's almost all exclusively this thread, which proves my point. Anyway, if you'd like, we can have further discussion on this in Meta GAF if you'd like.

Bingoboyop

Neo Member
What I don't understand is that if ps5 is indeed a 9. Something tf machine, what would Sony gain by keeping it hidden for this long. Now I know that in terms of sheer audience playstation is far bigger than Xbox but for the more, let's say, invested fanbase that would simply be a stab in the back.

At this point considering how long they have taken to announce the damn thing, I find it difficult for it to be that much lesser than the xsx

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
I didn't own PS3 but I've read they are also quite loud, at least the original ones. I played on my friend's original Xbox 360 and I thought it was quite tame compared to my PS4.
I had PS3 60GB launch model and it was indeed very loud and still very hot.
R600 did a right thing. Github 9.2TF ship is sinking and capitan should always go down with the ship 😃👌.

5KRj1yq.jpg

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
#metoo

Because console faster than contemporary $800 card is batchit crazy.

In a sense that Sony did not plan for anywhere near 12TF, but could be doing acting to mitigate now.

It really isn’t. We’ve known and I’ve reiterated thousands of times before that the fact they have Ray-Tracing put them in a certain bracket.

It was said yesterday that they’re both running Navi2x which again is as expected since that is the only one that supports Ray-Tracing. I then get into endless arguments with people who think you can just tack Ray-Tracing to any card which was also proven wrong.

Long story short, look up Navi 21 (The confirmed Navi2x) to get an idea of what is possible with next-gen.

Here’s one graph.

images

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They could but that is up to the developers of the game. The only thing that I have heard is that TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima will get next generation treatment.
What kind of treatment? Just native 4k 60 fps? Or ray tracing / photorealistic graphics?

SSfox

PS5 using 380-440mm2 Rdna2, with a bom cost around $450 after nand prices jumped. Dont make sense.
It probably wont be more than 12tflops. Sony is still awfully quiet.

You can't be sure about price, who knows what kind of deals they're (AMD) making with Sony and MS, let's say they make a very long run deal to buy 10 millions of GPU/CPU from AMD for the next 2 years, i can see a huge cute in price that you'd never expect to reach such a low price.

Pretty sure that no matter the specs, both consoles won't go above 500$, both Sony and MS know it's risky to seel console above this price point.

Last edited:

Akuji

nand price increase will probably not affect sony in any way for ps5. contracts should have been signed by then. they seal contracs for millions of chips over severall years. the shortages are payed by us. when we wanna buy something stand alone not by the other major companies.

Mass Shift

This is just a tweet I made to address the people who are saying that "AMD didn't outright explicitly say PS5 is RDNA 2" even though not accepting it at this point would make you look delusional.

Anyways, here's the tweet.

That's fair. But I still hold Sony responsible for some of it. They could still clarify it and shut all of this nonsense DOWN.

Why let questions like this linger for so long? It's not AMD's actual role to confirm anything for the PS5 or the Series X officially. And they're just not going to do it with the same finality as Sony or MS.

icy121

PS5 using 380-440mm2 Rdna2, with a bom cost around $450 after nand prices jumped. Dont make sense.

The individual who wrote the "$450 BOM" article for Bloomberg stated that the Switch would receive a 'Pro' model last year. When the Switch Lite was announced, he said that the "Switch Pro" would come out in 2020.

Frankly, I don't think this person is that reliable.

Last edited:

kareemna

PS3 Blu-ray player cost $1000 at launch and that was just the drive, before Cell etc
If i remember correctly, the BOM was mostly going towards the Blu-ray drive. I mean compared to previous gen back then the drive was expensive.

There is definitely something wrong. But at the same time I dont think they planned it to be an early 2020 reveal. As you know and was previously revealed by Jack Tretton at the E3'13 that everything is planned out months ahead and they dont usually react (i guess unless necessary such as the current state of things) to how competitors approach the reveals.
Sony is taking it slow and have given us bits to chew upon because the brand recognition is high enough that they are confident and no need to rush. This though was the case when the PS3 launched and they even admitted that only Sony says when nextgen starts, and talked very early about the PS3. Let's hope they dont do the same now.

Last edited:

DJ12

R600 did a right thing. Github 9.2TF ship is sinking and capitan should always go down with the ship 😃👌.

5KRj1yq.jpg
Hes over at b3d pretending he always thought the git hub leak just didn't test oberon for rt that's why it's not listed and he always thought it did have. Lol

No mention of his uber sources saying oberon was navi 10 despite ps5 being confirm as navi 2x now though.....

What a clown.

MarkMe2525

I think ppl know all this shit thy just try to be ignorant and disgenous to try to paint a picture of an imaginary advantage Microsoft just doesn't have. Same shit during dx12 days ppl just don't get tired of the bs.
Did you read the post? It literally says Sony will probably not implement Vulcan as their current GMN is already good. The statement says nothing of MS advantage nor disadvantage as that was not the topic of discussion.

Last edited:

Thedtrain

Lol posting as absolute beginner?
Hes over at b3d pretending he always thought the git hub leak just didn't test oberon for rt that's why it's not listed and he always thought it did have. Lol

No mention of his uber sources saying oberon was navi 10 despite ps5 being confirm as navi 2x now though.....

What a clown.

MarkMe2525

You should understand that PS3 is considered a "big" failure in Sony's standards, and the lesser Xbox 360 is considered the peak of success for MS. Try reading that again if you didn't get the idea. :messenger_winking_tongue:(y)
First... This topic should not be discussed in this thread anymore as Mod of War asked us not to.
Second.. I wasn't trying to frame any narrative and agree with what you are saying. It was the worst gen for Sony and the best for MS which allowed them to catch up to the success of Sony for that gen.

Edit: I was mean

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

What a clown.
I'm regular member there... I don't know if I will go there to call his bull.
Nevermind.

I stopped to post there when I stopped to write articles about GPU Tech for a site in Brasil and at the same time stopped to study gaming development lol

I won't recover my password just to poke him :D
I don't even know who is he there.

Last edited:

demigod

What a clown.

Lol yeah that's funny. He was trusting his source rogame and komachii 100% and now they're wrong. Notice how none of them has mentioned about this as well?

JLB

Banned
given that seems both consoles will be powerful, the real question that remains unanswered is price.
This will be potentially a close to zero growth in US, lets see how market reacts to 550ish consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom