• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatSu

we need to improve IA ..., quite. That's more important than teraflops

giphy.gif

Last edited:

alex_m

Neo Member
Here is some food for thought.

GitHub has been bought by Microsoft.

Microsoft is known for it's Fear, uncertainty, and doubt tactics in the past.

Two performance models on console is not something developers of exclusive titles want. It would require twice as much effort to optimize and test games if you want your game to make as much use of available performance as possible.

Multiplayer matches would need to run with draw distances and detail levels of the inferior system, otherwise players on a stronger system would have a competitive advantage spoiling it for players on the weaker system. Basically rendering the performance advantage useless or splitting up the player base.

Last edited:
Here is some food for thought.

GitHub has been bought by Microsoft.

Microsoft is known for it's Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt tactics in the past.

Two performance models on console is not something developers of exclusive titles want. It would require twice as much effort to optimize and test games if you want your game to make as much use of available performance as possible.

Multiplayer matches would need to run with draw distances and detail levels of the inferior system, otherwise players on a stronger system would have a competitive advantage spoiling it for players on the weaker system. Basically rendering the performance advantage useless or splitting up the player base.

Is it? Way I understand is game engines are scalable and it doesn't take a ton of effort to build it on the most powerful machine then scale it down to the weaker one.

People can mock the Github all they want but it was correct related to the Xbox Series X, and is the closest we have until Sony come out and reveal the console themselves... The Japanese SIE still doesn't state what RDNA is used.

We also know the cost of the BOM of the PS5 is less than that of the Xbox Series X, and has an elaborate cooling solution which pushed up the cost, also the SSD is faster than the Xbox Series X and obviously will cost more to implement over the Xbox Series X.

Sony would have had to make a cut somewhere, and since the both consoles are using same CPU it's either the RAM or GPU that is were the cut lies.... Why would Sony clock a GPU to 2ghz if not to close the gap on Xbox Series X if the number of Cu's in the PS5 were the Same as the Xbox Series X..... Makes no sense unless of course the CU's in the PS5 are in fact less than the Xbox Series X.

That's why I'm sticking with the PS5 at 9tfs....

If I'm wrong so be it, I'll face it.
I won't run away, and hide like some have already. 🤔 😡

By the way I own a PS4 only! 😉
Well atleast you explained your speculation without bashing people's heads into a brick in the shape of a 9.

alex_m

Neo Member
Is it? Way I understand is game engines are scalable and it doesn't take a ton of effort to build it on the most powerful machine then scale it down to the weaker one.

Ray tracing is the magic word here. You would need to pre-bake lighting effects into the version that does not support ray tracing or go without ray tracing. Then there's also textures and character models.

A console is not a PC! And Sony exlusive devs put a lot of love into their work. That's why Uncharted 4 as an example is on PS4 Pro not just a upscaled version of the base model version.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Ray tracing is the magic word here. You would need to pre-bake lighting effects into the version that does not support ray tracing or go without ray tracing. Then there's also textures and character models.

A console is not a PC! And Sony exlusive devs put a lot of love into their work. That's why Uncharted 4 as an example is on PS4 Pro not just a upscaled version of the base model version.
I thought it was running around 1440p from memory. What other extras does Pro have over base model ?

alex_m

Neo Member
I thought it was running around 1440p from memory. What other extras does Pro have over base model ?

About PS5:

People are stating there's going to be a 9.2 TF model without ray tracing and a higher tier model with ray tracing. You can't have ray traced lighting effects and reflections on the model that does not support ray tracing except you do it in software which will result in a huge performance hit.

About PS4:

A PS4 Pro is just a beefed up version of the PS4 base model. Microsoft might not care about exclusive titles, but Sony does. That's why e.g. Uncharted 4 and God Of War look so much better on the Pro model. It's not just an upscaled version like on XBox.

JLMC469

Banned
About PS5:

People are stating there's going to be a 9.2 TF model without ray tracing and a higher tier model with ray tracing. You can't have ray traced lighting effects and reflections on the model that does not support ray tracing except you do it in software which will result in a huge performance hit.

About PS4:

A PS4 Pro is just a beefed up version of the PS4 base model. Microsoft might not care about exclusive titles, but Sony does. That's why e.g. Uncharted 4 and God Of War look so much better on the Pro model. It's not just an upscaled version like on XBox.

Huh?

Go play Halo 5, Sea Of Thieves, Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 on the X and then come back.

Those games are not just upscaled versions.

As far as I’m concerned, UC4 and GOW run at a higher res on the PRO. There aren’t any “extras”.

pasterpl

I don't care if PS5 gonna be 10,5 or 11 or 11,5 or 12,4 tf, i am just glad it's power won't be hold back by a 4 tf ass-weak system, that's all.

as far as official announcements go, there will be no 4tf system next gen (except maybe next Nintendo console)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
“Although there is quite a lot we don’t know about the launch of next-generation consoles, my expectation is that both PS5 and Xbox Series X will launch strongly if there are no supply constraints and pricing is within an acceptable range, that being $499 or below.
By strongly I mean that both the PS5 and Xbox Series X will beat the launch figures of PS4 and Xbox One. I hold this view because the PS4 has a significantly bigger active userbase compared to the PS3 back in 2013, which should put Sony in a stronger starting position at launch. I also expect Microsoft to have a much more effective launch this gen compared to Xbox One and to be better positioned to drive early adoption.”

LED Guy?

Banned
Hes over at b3d pretending he always thought the git hub leak just didn't test oberon for rt that's why it's not listed and he always thought it did have. Lol

No mention of his uber sources saying oberon was navi 10 despite ps5 being confirm as navi 2x now though.....

What a clown.
Well, not surprised he said that, as the “Colbert” guy said “I knew it was Navi 2X RDNA 2 before the GitHub leak stated it, so it has it”.........I’m like “hold up! It has Navi 10 Lite on it, HOW are you still denying it?!”

😵😵😵

Oh my God these Xbox fanboys just won’t give up, I just can’t wait for Mark Cerny to announce the PlayStation 5’s specs and it being as powerful as XSX or above it by a bit, I wanna see their reactions, lord have mercy! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

hardseppo

I don't care if PS5 gonna be 10,5 or 11 or 11,5 or 12,4 tf, i am just glad it's power won't be hold back by a 4 tf ass-weak system, that's all.
I am not so sure. I personally think we should not expect that many true PS5 exclusives at the start, Sony surely won't alienate a 100+ million user fanbase (from a business/shareholder standpoint I mean).

So by your logic those Sony cross-gen games will be held back by a 1.81 TF system - the Vanilla PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
I am not so sure. I personally think we should not expect that many true PS5 exclusives at the start, Sony surely won't alienate a 100+ million user fanbase (from a business/shareholder standpoint I mean).

So by your logic those Sony cross-gen games will be held back by a 1.81 TF system - the Vanilla PS4.
Which Sony cross-gen title?
The only one this gen was The Show in the first year.
Everything else was PS4 exclusive without PS3 version.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I stopped posting in the other thread due to the sheer stupidity and ignorance on display. I mean a complete fundamental misunderstanding of things just to spit an agenda. Crazy.

I’ve sorta stopped posting in this one too for a lot of the same reasons, but at least here it’s 50/50. But you may have noticed anybody of actual relevance to this conversation has stopped as well, funny that? HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , BGs BGs , OsirisBlack OsirisBlack , Tommy F... Oh right.

It’s like common sense and technical knowledge took a back seat recently to complete shitcocking. Ehhh...

Which is a shame...

👀👀👀

5rXQWU8.gif

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
I stopped posting in the other thread due to the sheer stupidity and ignorance on display.

I’ve sorta stopped posting in this one too for a lot of the same reasons, but at least here it’s 50/50. But you may have noticed anybody of actual relevance to this conversation has stopped as well, funny that?

It’s like common sense and technical knowledge took a back seat recently to complete shitcocking. Ehhh...

Which is a shame...

👀👀👀
Are you like...someone in the industry or something? Because I saw your account on ResetEra & it has the “verified” tag on it, if so, then do you know anything about the PS5 that we don’t know?

😵😵😵😵😵

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
PS5 is more powerful than XSX, higher clocks, more CU's, more RAM and will be cheaper by $50 at launch.

Listen up, today is my birthday (for real) and I have a lot of family around, presents and a meal... so I’ll be here more than usual 🤣

pqcb9uW.jpg

As a birthday treat can you guys just start being a bit more nice to each other? Cheer up a a bit, eh? This should be a fun thread about technical chat and stuff, a few wish lists and whatever. Instead it’s full of idiots moaning about 9 floppy gits hubs beating off 14 floppy idiots. Just...

XLiXWWV.jpg

EnergyStar

Neo Member
Listen up, today is my birthday (for real) and I have a lot of family around, presents and a meal... so I’ll be here more than usual 🤣

pqcb9uW.jpg

As a birthday treat can you guys just start being a bit more nice to each other? Cheer up a a bit, eh? This should be a fun thread about technical chat and stuff, a few wish lists and whatever. Instead it’s full of idiots moaning about 9 floppy gits hubs beating off 14 floppy idiots. Just...

XLiXWWV.jpg

Be nice to each other... you floppy idiots! 🙃

FranXico

pqcb9uW.jpg

XLiXWWV.jpg
Happy birthday. Enjoy!

Hey, this guy is the same guy whose name is “CameFromNearFuture” he told me that he made this account to make fun of Xbox fanboys 🤣🤣

I’m gonna tag Mod of War Mod of War to let him know all about this. And I did PM him as well as you guys can see in these shots I took, he’s a very funny guy. 😂😂

gUTmBqL.jpg

2IjS8tr.jpg

Those are so bad and sub Nintentrolls. At least we had N5 and the Nintendo ON. Shame on those people, even on trolling they can't manage to be as creative as the Nintentrolls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom