• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gudji

He did say i was most likely fake a few hours later, but this is the rumor that said RDNA 2 is most likely exclusive to the Xbox Series X.

Klobrille doesn't know shit. He hears a lot of shit from other people or gets rumors from the web just like everyone else, the amount of times he was wrong is like 10 times higher than the times he got something right. Don't even know why some people think this guy is an insider.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I also have a 23.368 cm penis, just FYI 🤣

giphy.gif

THE:MILKMAN

Plot twist. Odium is the GitHub leaker.

How the GitHub leak came about is pretty suspicious to me as, IIRC, Komachi found the repo and was so concerned they said they were reporting it to the author and AMD as it had personal info etc.

We then didn't hear anything else about it for months until Ro_game shows up and Tweets basically the same info with a little more detail. Then suddenly others clearly 'find' the repo and it spreads quickly from there. AMD suddenly take notice and get the thing removed.

I wonder why it wasn't removed in those months between assuming Komachi did report it?

TLZ

Banned
I haven't said the PS5 is RDNA or RDNA 2 I can see what it says above but microsoft have said the XSX is RDNA2 Sony haven't. If Sony have a 13tf RDNA 2 faster SSD better Ray tracing console that out performs the XSX why aren't they saying so. And i don't believe this they don't want to affect PS4 sales and games like last of us 2, Ghost of Tsushima which will play on PS5 anyway.Either the PS5 is much weaker than the XSX or they do have a stronger console but it could be delayed.

giphy.gif

BC is a huge selling point for me personally. I want an all-in-one console. It's not wasted resources for me personally. I'd love to see full 100% BC or at least like 95% BC with enhancements. Consoles should've pushed this as a selling point since day 1. PC has technically done it forever with the slight problem with changing OS but usually you can get around that in BC compatibility mode or some clever tweaks.

Strong BC instantly pushes a day 1 console's library to thousands for me rather than just a few games. If they give us half-assed BC I'm probably not buying PS5 day 1. They patented some AI upscale technology that could be used on stuff like PS2 games going to 4K so I'm curious to see what they do.

Nostalgia >>> modern games

I find older games actually do things better than a lot of modern games even if they're still dated in other areas.

Batiman

Banned
People love touting it like its some groundbreaking feature but lets be honest..... nobody really gives that much of a fuck about it lol.

This gen xbox fanboys have loved flaunting it but lets be honest, they barely use it. Maybe a little more than normal tho since ms first party lineup has been weak this gen.
Nah I didn’t think I’d care but I ended up using BC a lot. I do find it pretty important now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
People love touting it like its some groundbreaking feature but lets be honest..... nobody really gives that much of a fuck about it lol.

This gen xbox fanboys have loved flaunting it but lets be honest, they barely use it. Maybe a little more than normal tho since ms first party lineup has been weak this gen.

I really can't play old games, so for me if they're not remastered or remakes or a game that's too good to miss and I didn't play it (which I doubt as I own already nearly 180 games on PS4).

Give me new games, new experiences. Nostalgia is nice, but I bought Crash remake/remastered and only played like for 30 minutes and never touched it again.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
giphy.gif

I will say that playing the remaster made me realize how unforgiving those games had been. Timing betta be perfect on them jumps.

I've collected and squeezed nearly everything from those crash games back in the day. What I want is a new crash game that's matured and on the level of Ratchet and Clank. Problem is the IP is held by the shitty company Activision! Sony was too dumb to let that IP slide away between like 2 companies before it landed to this infamous one.

How the GitHub leak came about is pretty suspicious to me as, IIRC, Komachi found the repo and was so concerned they said they were reporting it to the author and AMD as it had personal info etc.

It was just a misfortune of a very fresh and clueless AMD internt. The guy simply went on and posted everything on his personal repository, even mixing up a bunch of personal files with what supposedly was his work: there was some sort of shopping list there for office furniture and even his resumee. He was probably supposed to push the data to a AMD repo but mixed things up and pushed it to his own - and publicly.

I can't talk about others, but I downloaded the thing and as soon as I saw that it had personal data on it, I contacted the author by e-mail. He never, ever, replied.
We then didn't hear anything else about it for months until Ro_game shows up and Tweets basically the same info with a little more detail. Then suddenly others clearly 'find' the repo and it spreads quickly from there. AMD suddenly take notice and get the thing removed.

You could reach that repo more than a week after it hit the fan, so to speak. AMD could have reacted fast, but the thing got removed far after the "damage" was done.

About finding, well, that's what those guys do. They sniff codenames for products and just go to the web searching for the stuff on forums, those semiconductor databases, drivers, mentions on Linux kernel, and, off course, GitHub. You could just type "oberon" on GitHub's search bar and it was the very first hit.
I wonder why it wasn't removed in those months between assuming Komachi did report it?

Well, maybe it got reported on some back channel and never got to people capable of judge the magnitute of the problem, so nothing was done about it. And, I don't know, maybe the Komachi guy never reported?

Last edited:
I've collected and squeezed nearly everything from those crash games back in the day. What I want is a new crash game that's matured and on the level of Ratchet and Clank. Problem is the IP is held by the shitty company Activision! Sony was too dumb to let that IP slide away between like 2 companies before it landed to this infamous one.
On a side note, R&C isn't that mature either. I mean, it's more alive than Crash, but nothing more. To me the peak of the series was A Crank in Time and it was ELEVEN YEARS AGO, and even that title didn't actually do all the things that I hope to find in a R&C (music and humor in primis). 2016 R&C was just a movie game with no particular praise to me, fans were just happy that something decent about R&C was available this gen, that's it. If that game is a 8 or 9/10, ACIT is stright up 11/10 no question, there is something wrong here.
I hope the movie thing was just a one time shit, I want a new game with no narrative and time constraint, and definetly NOT a reboot of the second one which has one of the worst stories of the saga and in general I would like to see something free of any constrain, as I already said.

Luquinhadesu

Neo Member
Hey folks, I have a question

So, Navi 21 is up to 4096-5120 SU. I don't even know what this is. Shader Unit?
Anyway, there's a recent interview by a dev and she stated that "...PS5 will allow us to use an incredible Texel density, up to 4096px/m..."

Are those things related? Can someone explain what SU and Texel density are?

Interview:

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
latest gow took 5 years to make and they are hiring people just now?
I think they took their time with the previous one, there was a lot of redevelopment and recreation to the God of War universe and drastic shift in his character and story telling. It also took a lot of encouraging from Cory Barlog to get the project going. Another reason is they moved into a newly built studio. What I'm trying to say is there was a lot of shuffling and changes going which might explain the long development time. Hopefully for the sequel, it will take 2-3 years from now to release because the ball is already rolling. Now that I think about it 2018 to 2022/23 is 5 years lol

Zero707

If I carry on trolling, report me.
Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Anyway, there's a recent interview by a dev and she stated that "...PS5 will allow us to use an incredible Texel density, up to 4096px/m..."

Interview:
Not related.

4096px/m is the number of pixels per meter... think like how many pixels you fill per meter in your 3D world.

4096-5120 SUs are the processing units of the GPU... each CU has 64 SUs.
4096 means 64CUs.
5120 means 80CUs.

Last edited:
My initial thoughts were that the revision to stepping E0 could be the update to RDNA2 too as well. I asked about it here if revisions are merely tweaks or possible major upgrade. Chip designs and such are not my forte.

I can see it being possible as per your scenario being true. Only issue here is we don't have that crucial data on latest steeping E0 (outside of bandwidth tweaks) with ps5 test case profiles. Frustrating indeed.

Then again all these data that we have, could be irrelevant. Maybe it is for one of the Dev kit revisions. Can't rule that out either:messenger_smiling_with_eyes::messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Actually it's interesting you bring up steppings, because another user here corrected me about that yesterday. I forgot their name unfortunately, but they linked me to AMD's key nomenclature for their chips. With something like, say, E0, the letter actually represents a revision, while the number represents a stepping.

So Oberon's gone through at least four revisions, and at least as many (likely more) steppings, with revisions being the more pronounced of the two. I used to think revisions called for the actual codename to be changed, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all with AMD.

But yeah, going by that revisions fall more in line with major upgrades. E0 was a revision that made changes to the memory controller by fixing some bugs in the silicon, hence why that revision now has larger bandwidth versus the other revisions. I'm willing to entertain with the data we have now it could ultimately be irrelevant, or for a dev kit revision. I remember some insiders saying a new devkit was sent out this year? If so those devkits probably have Oberon E0. If yet another devkit comes out soon, it could have another Oberon revision, F0, and I'd probably take that to be the final revision before they really have to finalize everything for optimizations and production heading into summer for a fall release.

In case anyone is interested;

From what I understand, I think the "RDNA2 exclusive to MS" thing was a misread about the Direct X RT implementation, which MS and AMD have collaborated very closely on and is exclusive to MS. However, as it's an API, Sony will have their own version of it, calling it something different, but essentially it'll be much the same thing.

They could've caught wind of this before any clarification on RDNA (or the conference itself happening) and assumed from earlier (old) rumors that RDNA2 was exclusive to MS like the even earlier rumors Navi was exclusive to Sony. And I guess they read too much into lack of clarification from Sony (even rumors saying their RT would be proprietary, including some speculating PowerVR RT) and assumed what they did about RDNA2.

They were obviously wrong and could've just waited a couple of days to see the conference itself, but some folks can't help it I guess 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
You're probably mostly right but I have to pull you up on the above quote as (in my case) I tried extensive searches on GitHub and didn't find it, never mind it being the first hit for 'Oberon'!

That's strange. Do you got an account there? As soon as the word got out, I just went there, logged in and searched. It was the first hit for me.
Could've been made up.

Nah, the profile was real. Nobody would fake that and mix a bunch of AMD people e-mails, IP adresses and whatnot in there.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

• Digital Foundry Stated in the article that many BC test are being done. If that's true, this could be a BC test right? Well, what would that look like. Presumably, they would want to test a Native PS4 mode, a PS4 Pro mode, and like the PS4 Pro had.... A PS4 Pro Boost mode. What would the Boost mode test look like?
  • A PS4 Pro Boost mode compatibility test would look like this: Exactly the same CUs as the PS4 Pro, An unlocked "full" clock, no RT or VRS hardware activated. What do we have in the leak? 36CUs (exactly the same as the PS4 Pro), 2Ghz, the rumoured full clock of the PS5, No RT and no VRS indicated.
The leaks makes little sense as the Full PS5 hardware, indicating you shouldn't take it as a certainty of the PS5s total performance, and a lot of sense that it's a boost mode PS4 Pro compatibility test so that possibility

I want @OsirisBlack input on my comment on all this.

That's what some of us were claiming here and it makes the most sense. A 9.2 TF unit was used to test BC since about 8 TF was needed to "emulate" PS4 games in 4k.

THE:MILKMAN

That's strange. Do you got an account there? As soon as the word got out, I just went there, logged in and searched. It was the first hit for me.

I don't, but would that make such a difference for a public repo? Also many others couldn't find it either.

So no more insider gossip?

Yeah it seems to have gone pretty quiet suddenly. Maybe they're all having a rest? Or the floodgates are about to open?

Last edited:

Interview:

Your 4096 - 5120 SU are GPU shader units/processors/elements, which in reality represent the ALU width of each SIMD unit (Single Input Multi Data) in the GPU shader cores (which in AMD GPUs would be the CUs).

In RDNA each WGP (Work Group Processor) in the shader array comprises 2 CUs, which comprise 2x SIMD units each with a width of 32 elements (ALUs). So 64 shader units in total per CU, and 128 per WGP.

A texel is a pixel within a 2D pixel grid of texture. In graphics rendering, since texture resolution is independent of screen resolution, the term texel is used to distinguish texture pixels. So texel density speak directly to the texture resolution per unit distance/area of gameworld. It’s essentially a measure of texture quality.

So to answer your final question, nope the two aren’t related in GPU hardware terms. Since SUs are a measure of the GPU’s raw shading (and GPU compute) performance, whereas texel density speaks to the work done by the fixed-function texture units within the GPU, I.e. TMUs.

Lacix

Not related.

4096px/m is the number of pixels per meter... think like how many pixels you fill per meter in your 3D world.

4096-5120 SUs are the processing units of the GPU... each CU has 64 SUs.
4096 means 64CUs.
5120 means 80CUs.
64 CU ?

so PS5 could be:
64 * 2 * 64 * 1700MHz = 13, 926 TFlops

XBOX Series X could be:
56 * 2 * 64 * 1700MHz = 12,185 TFlops

I am starting to think that maybe the Xbox Series X could deliver more than 12TF RDNA2 after all and that Sony & Microsoft are just playing a big hawk–dove game in our faces :)

I can see Sony revealing a 13tf console and, a few days later, MS stating that they have improved the specs to 14TF. We know now that this is theoretically possible with the new RDNA2 tech.

I will be happy with a PS5 13TF/XSX 14TF by the way, but this is just pure speculation.
I dont know if 14 but 13 or little more is possible but also that depends of the cooler and how good is the quality of each silice (I mean how many voltage needs to reach a high clock).

I am starting to think that maybe the Xbox Series X could deliver more than 12TF RDNA2 after all and that Sony & Microsoft are just playing a big hawk–dove game in our faces :)

I can see Sony revealing a 13tf console and, a few days later, MS stating that they have improved the specs to 14TF. We know now that this is theoretically possible with the new RDNA2 tech.

I will be happy with a PS5 13TF/XSX 14TF by the way, but this is just pure speculation.

SEX will be 12 TF as announced... these companies are not playing fanboys wet dreams.. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

3liteDragon

People still believe Ps5 is stronger than Series X or even close?
Why do you guys think no insider said anything since a year. They all went radio silent. No news about Ps5. Still no one said the actual Ps5 TFLOP number or how much more powerful the console is compared to Ps4 or Ps4 Pro.

The 12TF (that turned out to be true) for Xbox Series X came up half a year ago.
Ps5 will be around 8.5TF and that is fine.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Kazza

Even during World War 1 there was a truce one Christmas when both sides played a football match together. Console wars also need occasional days of peace:

M2YxFLw.png

FUCK YOU PS2, YOU KILLED THE DREAMCAST!!! Never forgive, never forget...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom