• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The PR will change and they will talk about some other thing like SSD.🤣
You mean over used RT at sub 30fps. Still pissed at nvidia for pushing it rather not had it and have simple push to higher frames as the selling point and load times since these devices will be very underpowered again. Nothing 499.99 mid generation refresh cant fix I guess.

CyberPanda

Banned
You mean over used RT at sub 30fps. Still pissed at nvidia for pushing it rather not had it and have simple push to higher frames as the selling point and load times since these devices will be very underpowered again. Nothing 499.99 mid generation refresh cant fix I guess.
RT is where graphics tech is headed. Yea, Nvidia pushed it, but AMD is doing it too. Just the way the cookie crumbles, and if you care about power just build a nice rig. Digitalstorm has some nice builds available on their website. And, MS hinted that they won’t do any mid gen refreshes this time. If they aren’t doing it, then don’t expect Sony to either.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Maybe it's just me, but the Gonzalo Fire Strike benchmark leaked by Apisak is encouraging. That's like Vega 56(OC)/Vega 64 + Ryzen 1700/2700 results. Most console gamers are playing on the equivalent of Radeon 7770(XO) or 7850(PS4).

Bonus: Final Performance = 20,000+...
SexyGengif.gif

8TF OG consoles means we're gonna see PS5 Pro/XB2X by 2023 at the latest. And good luck trying to explain Teraflop semantics to the Average Joe.

Ideally we could have had next-gen starting later this year if EUV hadn't taken so long to develop (apparently the R&D started back in 1985!). It's the only way to keep Moore's Law alive and kicking in sub-10nm nodes.

7nm+ RDNA2 (aka the real deal) must be 7nm 2nd gen EUV:

ammd-rdna2-2020.jpg

CyberPanda

Banned
8TF OG consoles means we're gonna see PS5 Pro/XB2X by 2023 at the latest. And good luck trying to explain Teraflop semantics to the Average Joe.

Ideally we could have had next-gen starting later this year if EUV hadn't taken so long to develop (apparently the R&D started back in 1985!). It's the only way to keep Moore's Law alive and kicking in sub-10nm nodes.

7nm+ RDNA2 (aka the real deal) must be 7nm 2nd gen EUV:

ammd-rdna2-2020.jpg

"I'll say what we're planning for," Spencer told Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann at E3 (the interview in full, above, is well worth a watch). "We're not planning for Scarlett to be our last console."

That's not a confirmation there will be a console after Project Scarlett comes out in time for Christmas 2020, of course. But it seems Microsoft is confident there will be. The question, then, becomes what kind of console - a more powerful version, what the Xbox One X was to the Xbox One, perhaps? Or a next next-gen?

Spencer said whatever comes after Scarlett would have to be "meaningful", as X was, in his opinion.

"The thing for us past Scarlett is what is that next inflection point of experience that would actually be meaningful?" he said.

"We thought 4K would be meaningful. And if you don't think so, go buy an S or a PlayStation or whatever. But if you thought 4K and six teraflops and all the stuff we talked about was the thing you wanted, we wanted to make sure we had the memory bandwidth and a GPU to deliver 4K.

"I think we have something meaningful at the next point - frankly both of us [Sony and Microsoft] are just about at, from what I know.

"Beyond that I don't know what that is. But we're not planning for not doing another console."

One interesting thing to note is, if Scarlett APU size is 385nm2 then at regular 7nm that only leaves enough room for a sub 8TF GPU. That can't be seriously considered right? That must mean they went EUV.

Edit: OQA leak of 315mm2 doesn't make sense either then, that is way too small even for 7nm EUV.
I'm pretty sure both Cerny and John Sell understand the importance of EUV etching more than all of us, so I wouldn't worry that much. It's more than necessary to offer a sizeable next-gen leap.

SonGoku

One interesting thing to note is, if Scarlett APU size is 385nm2 then at regular 7nm that only leaves enough room for a sub 8TF GPU. That can't be seriously considered right? That must mean they went EUV.
56CUs total come up at 388.75 mm2 keep in mind this is with 2SEs only not sure if that will be a bottleneck 26CUs per SE compared to 20 per SE on 5700XT
Since its a 2SE design we can disable 2DCUs (4CUs) and are left with 52CUs
52CUs @1500Mhz = 9.98TF
52CUs @1550Mhz = 10.3TF (equal to 12.9TF Vega)
52CUs @1600Mhz = 10.65TF (pushing it - absolute max best case if all the stars align)
52CUs @1800Mhz = 11.98TF (just for the fucks)

On the other hand...
4SEs, 384bit bus, 64CUs APU would be 377mm2 on 7nm EUV
363mm2 with a 320bit bus
Edit: OQA leak of 315mm2 doesn't make sense either then, that is way too small even for 7nm EUV.
needs to be 333mm2 minimum for 40CUs with RT

Last edited:

vpance

Given this huge size of Navi, if Sony were to go HBM2 that would save a ton of die space for more CUs. See this comparison of Fiji and Tonga silicon:

05065715663l.jpg

One 64-bit bus for GDDR5 is only a bit smaller than a 1024-bit HBM bus. Keep in mind Scarlett could have 4-6 of these. The estimate has a 320-bit bus at 81.6mm2. Theoretically you cut that in half or to 1/3 if they go HBM2/E.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I expected this and am not disappointed. 8tf for Navi is stil comparable to 12TF Vega and that ain’t bad.
Yeah if it ends up like a Vega 56/64+RT of some sort, that's enough grunt for DOOM(2016) at 4K/60fps with a ton of overhead(additional 20-30%). I'm excited to see DOOM Eternal's RT implementation. Maybe we can have both 60fps and RT for those who want it?

CyberPanda

Banned
Yeah if it ends up like a Vega 56/64+RT of some sort, that's enough grunt for DOOM(2016) at 4K/60fps with a ton of overhead(additional 20-30%). I'm excited to see DOOM Eternal's RT implementation. Maybe we can have both 60fps and RT for those who want it?
I’m sure they will release a RTX video showing it off eventually. The developers did say it’s in the works, but I don’t know the release date of the game.

SonGoku

8tf for Navi is stil comparable to 12TF Vega and that ain’t bad.
Not really lol
But if Gonzolo is indeed PS5, 20k score points towards mid 10TF high 9TFs so that's something 🤷‍♂️
If goznzolo leak its true did we both lose the bet lol? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I’m sure they will release a RTX video showing it off eventually. The developers did say it’s in the works, but I don’t know the release date of the game.
Yeah, they were bragging on it pretty hard, so hopefully they'll show it off and describe it's performance impact soon.
If Gonzalo leak its true did we both lose the bet lol? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's looking like Vega 56 OC performance from the Fire Strike leak. That'll fit nicely under my "GTX 1080/Vega 64/2060 will beat PS5 claim", not to mention the addendum where I was allowed Navi 10. Let's wait and see. Have you really given up on 56CUs?

SonGoku

Yeah, they were bragging on it pretty hard, so hopefully they'll show it off and describe it's performance impact soon.

It's looking like Vega 56 OC performance from the Fire Strike leak. That'll fit nicely under my "GTX 1080/Vega 64/2060 will beat PS5 claim", not to mention the addendum where I was allowed Navi 10. Let's wait and see. Have you really given up on 56CUs?
damn didnt 20k beat rtx2070?
edit:
fatal-enigma-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
Doom already runs at 4k60 on XB1X and it's a current-gen game. Next-gen games will need something a lot more powerful than that (4x according to MS, good luck delivering that with an 8TF Navi and "eating monsters for breakfast", lol).

Teraflops aren't just for rasterization (not even DF gets this, they're still stuck in the 3D accelerator era, like we're still in the 90s), they also need compute for AI and other algos (hopefully not for SW RT, since it would be too taxing without dedicated HW RT).

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
damn didnt 20k beat rtx2070?
Fire Strike is just a canned benchmark, albeit a good one. But it's not good to compare across manufacturers, since in reality the 2070 is ~13% faster than the Vega 64. Why not just go straight to 3DMark website for results with CPU of choice?
fscomp2.jpg

Navi 5700 XT should score around 26K in this benchmark.

SonGoku

Fire Strike is just a canned benchmark, albeit a good one. But it's not good to compare across manufacturers, since in reality the 2070 is ~13% faster than the Vega 64. Why not just go straight to 3DMark website for results with CPU of choice?
fscomp2.jpg

Then i hope gonzolo is fake lool and sony/ms planned for 7nm euv all along as unlikely as it might sound.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Since I think it's a logic given that Microsoft and Sony are looking at a native 4k 60fps for their consoles baseline performance output , 1080 or Vega 64 is way underpowered for this goal and to make things worst I'm giving my remark based off 2017-2018 games benchmarks.

Expect more than that Gonzalo leak guys , these consoles will be for games of 2021 and beyond . They will be even more demanding than the past ones.

4d900c.png
[/SPOILER]
New die size estimates:
75mm for CPU
81.6mm2 for 320 bit bus
93.32mm2 for 4 SEs (ROPs, cache, etc.)
IO 37.72mm2
10.85mm2 GPU CC (CP, ACEs etc.)
156.48mm2 32DCUs with RT (64CUs)
144.96mm2 without RT
Total:
454.97mm2 With RT - 363.9mm2 on 7nm EUV
443.45mm2 Without RT

wanted to also do that for some days now. but you have clearly more time than me :messenger_tears_of_joy:
good work mate!

one thing you please clarify for me: is there any other sorce that confirms that navi 10 is just using 2 shader engines beside the caption in the AMD navi die slide (the caption could be misleading because simplification). what you call a shader engine in your pic above could and should still be two because every frontend component is present two times and simply mirrored.

fucking amd. the more i think about the more i realize how bad this upcoming gen will end up. 8tflops seems good for current gen but with every gen, games keep getting more demanding. GPU also accounts for framerate and other stuff. How will it keep up while keeping a smooth framerate.

How the fuck are they gonna output native 4k with next gen graphics lmao.

fscomp2.jpg

MAN YOU RE ONCE AGAIN POSTING HIGHLY OVERCLOCKED RESULTS HERE WHICH HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH STOCK PERFORMANCE.

please read my last post concering that:

guys to get a firestrike (combined) score of 20.000+ with a vega56 you have to overclock it to above gtx1080 levels and have a beafy CPU. the scores you're quoting are heavy overclocks.

i thinks many here are also confusing graphics and overall score.

i put my vega56 on water and put 400W through it (with the liquid bios) to get to 20K combined. i had a graphics score of over 24.000 while doing it.

still have the results:

firestirckgscoree3kgr.png

stock combined scores for a factory vega56 must be around 16-17K depending on CPU

apisak is stating combined scores.

5700XT will never never never have more than 21K combined score stock.

SonGoku

Update: We might not be fucked boys
@boipucci

Your post on Era and Gaf used too much for the front end. You don't need 128 ROPS. Half that.
You can remove ~17mm2 from the IO as the console one won't have some stuff.

You're down to 391mm2. Which is within the realm of possibility.

7nm+ is not your savior. It's only a 10-15% die size reduction.

128 ROPs might not be unreasonable if Sony pulls off a butterfly setup once again. PS4 Pro has 64 ROPs vs 32 ROPs on XB1X, even though it clearly doesn't need that many.

But then again, we might see even more convergence for Sony & MS in their next-gen designs.

Last edited:
im saying to get to 20K combined in firestrike with a CPU capped at 3.2GHz you probably need somewhat gtx2080-like GPU performance

that said, firestrike is not necessarily the best indicator for modern game environments. timespy is better for that (i think at least vega doesn't fair quite as good here compared to turing).

nevertheless that's still impressive considering that this thing must be running in some weird compatibily mode.

TLZ

Banned
Thanks for the rollercoaster ride :messenger_unamused:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
im saying to get to 20K combined in firestrike with a CPU capped at 3.2GHz you probably need somewhat gtx2080-like GPU performance
There's plenty of combined scores of over 20K from Ryzen 7 1700 ~3.9GHz + GTX 1080 ~2GHz. That's stock hs/f type oc on the Ryzen 7 1700, and consoles with Zen 2 at 3.2GHz should about match that. Going above 2GHz on Pascal is not black magic either, my 1060 hits 2135MHz in Fire Strike.

What you're saying has nothing to do with the fuckin' bet, my friend. It was to be "1080/Vega64/2060 card beats PS5" on my own hardware at my own discretion how to do it. Later, we added the original bet "Navi 10 5700 Pro or XT will beat PS5". Why would I use stock speeds for any of that?

Last edited:
I was always going to use mod Vega 56 or GTX 1080 pushed to the max. Are you trying to talk down to me, or what?

not trying to talk down to anybody. i just wanted to point out that it doesn't make sense to compare console kind of TDP results with 20-25% overclocks which put the said cards in or above the next upper card bracket while doubling the power fed into it (like 400W into vega56 like i did)

for reference to combined scores just use stock benchmarks like guru 3Ds here and be beware of that the are using beafy CPUs which better the combined score compare to a capped console GPU:

index.php

vpance

@boipucci

Your post on Era and Gaf used too much for the front end. You don't need 128 ROPS. Half that.
You can remove ~17mm2 from the IO as the console one won't have some stuff.

You're down to 391mm2. Which is within the realm of possibility.

7nm+ is not your savior. It's only a 10-15% die size reduction.

7nm+ is a 17% reduction (from Anandtech article).

Last edited:
Interesting comments:

"While this timeline is impacted by the launch of AMD’s desktop CPU and GPUs that are planned on the 7nm it is primarily affected by the fact that Apple is gobbling up all of TSMC’s 7nm capacity right now. Since Apple is the no.1 customer of TSMC’s leading-edge nodes, and consoles require chips in volume to truly achieve economies of scale, this is one of the reasons why we will see the consoles arrive in 2020 and not earlier. TSMC started volume production on the 7nm node earlier this month."

"So Sony is waiting for 7nm+ (i.e. total EUV wafer processing). That just cements the notion that the first gen 7nm (multipatterned to death) is going to be about as impressive as Radeon VII (i.e. NOT). My guess is that by the time TSMC has 7nm+ running we will also see 7nm from Intel (and that will be a denser 7nm). All you have to do is look at EUV shipments from ASML (or rather the lack thereof) to figure out that the real switch to 7nm isn't for a while yet."

Apple is currently gobbling up most of TSMC's 7nm 1st gen wafers. It's a fine process if you want to manufacture sub-100mm2 mobile chips with high density, but obviously not so good for 300mm2+ console chips.

Sony (and possibly MS) is playing it smart by waiting until Q3 2020 (July 1, 2020 to September 30, 2020) for 7nm+ from either TSMC or Samsung.

Nvidia is likely waiting for the same reason (it wouldn't make much sense to release overpriced weak sauce Ampere GPUs).

On the other hand, Apple will quickly jump into 5nm next year, so 7nm production lines will be free for everyone else:

There's plenty of combined scores of over 20K from Ryzen 7 1700 ~3.9GHz + GTX 1080 ~2GHz. That's stock hs/f type oc on the Ryzen 7 1700, and consoles with Zen 2 at 3.2GHz should about match that. Going above 2GHz on Pascal is not black magic either, my 1060 hits 2135MHz in Fire Strike.

not saying that would be black magic. but it certainly overclocked. (and let me tell you after testing dozend and dozend of hours firestrike reported GPU clock isn't a good indicator whats going on, especially with vega you used as a reference) what definintly would be black magic is a 5700XT with 26000 combined without puting it on liquid nitrogen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

but don't sweat. im gonna do the testing on navi10 soon enough.

What you're saying has nothing to do with the fuckin' bet, my friend. It was to be "1080/Vega64/2060 card beats PS5" on my own hardware at my own discretion how to do it. Later, we added the original bet "Navi 10 5700 Pro or XT will beat PS5". Why would I use stock speeds for any of that?

i did a bet with you?

Interesting comments:

"While this timeline is impacted by the launch of AMD’s desktop CPU and GPUs that are planned on the 7nm it is primarily affected by the fact that Apple is gobbling up all of TSMC’s 7nm capacity right now. Since Apple is the no.1 customer of TSMC’s leading-edge nodes, and consoles require chips in volume to truly achieve economies of scale, this is one of the reasons why we will see the consoles arrive in 2020 and not earlier. TSMC started volume production on the 7nm node earlier this month."

"So Sony is waiting for 7nm+ (i.e. total EUV wafer processing). That just cements the notion that the first gen 7nm (multipatterned to death) is going to be about as impressive as Radeon VII (i.e. NOT). My guess is that by the time TSMC has 7nm+ running we will also see 7nm from Intel (and that will be a denser 7nm). All you have to do is look at EUV shipments from ASML (or rather the lack thereof) to figure out that the real switch to 7nm isn't for a while yet."

Apple is currently gobbling up most of TSMC's 7nm 1st gen wafers. It's a fine process if you want to manufacture sub-100mm2 mobile chips with high density, but obviously not so good for 300mm2+ console chips.

Sony (and possibly MS) is playing it smart by waiting until Q3 2020 (July 1, 2020 to September 30, 2020) for 7nm+ from either TSMC or Samsung.

Nvidia is likely waiting for the same reason (it wouldn't make much sense to release overpriced weak sauce Ampere GPUs).

On the other hand, Apple will quickly jump into 5nm next year, so 7nm production lines will be free for everyone else:

Holy shit dude coming in witht them sources

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
MAN YOU RE ONCE AGAIN POSTING HIGHLY OVERCLOCKED RESULTS HERE WHICH HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH STOCK PERFORMANCE.

please read my last post concering that:

but don't sweat. im gonna do the testing on navi10 soon enough.

i did a bet with you?

Read what you're jumping into the middle of. I've had a running bet with SonGoku that the 5700 XT will beat PS5 performance.

I understand what's going on now with your all caps yelling and confusion. I've had you on ignore for months because you wouldn't fix your gray formatting. I haven't seen anything you've been posting. Makes sense now.🤭

Aceofspades

Banned
fucking amd. the more i think about the more i realize how bad this upcoming gen will end up. 8tflops seems good for current gen but with every gen, games keep getting more demanding. GPU also accounts for framerate and other stuff. How will it keep up while keeping a smooth framerate.

How the fuck are they gonna output native 4k with next gen graphics lmao.

Dude, you are overreacting a lot. Chasing TF is like chasing bits during PS2 era. Of course more TF is better but its just one piece of the puzzle.

Next gen we will get huge CPU upgrade, massive transition to SSD and a moderate leap in GPU with added RT. Next gen is huge leap forward imo.

Holy shit dude coming in witht them sources
Moar sources to support my 7nm+ thesis:

It all adds up now, doesn't it? ;)

SonGoku

is there any other source that confirms that navi 10 is just using 2 shader engines beside the caption in the AMD navi die slide
Yep that and educated guess
wanted to also do that for some days now. but you have clearly more time than me
Not my image
Is Liabe Brave still on this forum? I thought he had left for "greener pastures", so I find his NeoGAF contribution "weird" (?)
I just slapped
logo-gold.png
on it to cover the ugly :messenger_squinting_tongue:
It was to be "1080/Vega64/2060 card beats PS5" on my own hardware at my own discretion how to do it. Later, we added the original bet "Navi 10 5700 Pro or XT will beat PS5". Why would I use stock speeds for any of that? [/SPOILER]
wft? I thought the bet was a stock 5700XT (1950MHz)/RTX2070

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom