• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Still at page 1359 and tried to see what I'm missing at 1369 to see more github BS. I guess I'm going back.

giphy.gif

Dabaus

Banned
In regards to brad sams claims that Xbox series x is planned for September and lockheart near Christmas, we were told devs didn’t have Xbox devkits until early this year, not even final ones at that, and they plan on launching in September??? That sounds crazy of true.

Nadojay

Neo Member
Well well, almost sounds the didn't let the base XBO hold back the game on the X. It's almost as if this could serve as a parallel example for XBO and another system (maybe) launching this year:pie_thinking: xD...

I kid; people are gonna find a way to argue XSX being held back by XBO anyway. The power of delusion demands it

That said, ouch to anyone playing it on XBO and they shouldn't be having those issues on the X. So it sounds like at the very least they need to optimize the X version and release the fix as a free patch.

I finished the game last night, it is absolutely fantastic and I didn't feel like there were any sections with cheap deaths unlike the first game but there were a few sections that stuttered during gameplay which is death in a platformer, the real noticeable performance issue were cut scenes especially in the latter half of the game, where sound would be going but the video was frozen, much like buffering when streaming video and fast travel where it would reload the scene from where you were leaving 2 or 3 times before the arrival point. I was playing on the one x, again fantastic game though even if I took a few years of the life of me a button on my v2 elite

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem Well I mean, he's British so 🤷‍♂️ (j/k. It is a one of the more thick British accents tho but nothing wrong with that).

They were recovering from a cold or such a week ago so that might also explain it. But doesn't really seem odd to me.

Nah, I prefer British accent, it's the most elegant between English accents, the best might be Foxy Games guy accent. But it's not an accent problem, he just sounds odd. Been watching his videos since a while, so It's not related to cold or illness but he might be having a problem in his nose or lungs if it's something serious.

Last edited:

saintjules

In regards to brad sams claims that Xbox series x is planned for September and lockheart near Christmas, we were told devs didn’t have Xbox devkits until early this year, not even final ones at that, and they plan on launching in September??? That sounds crazy of true.
Did he mention September in a recent video?

HawarMiran

Banned
Nah, I prefer British accent, it's the most elegant between English accents, the best might be Foxy Games guy accent. But it's not an accent problem, he just sounds odd. Been watching his videos since a while, so It's not related to cold or illness but he might be having a problem in his nose or lungs if it's something serious.
it is called speach impediment

512 Bit Memory Bus wouldn’t be enough to keep the GPU fed. So wouldn’t be no point of having 15TF.
Yes it would. A 512-bit GDDR6 bus would provide ~900+GB/s bandwidth (depending on the chip speed). If that's not enough to feed a paltry 3584 shaders (hint, it is), then you've got some real problems with architecture. Its just a ridiculously inefficient way of achieving that much bandwidth

bitbydeath

Gold Member
everyone on here who dismisses github is literally in absolute denial mode.
you can think it might be only part of the picture, but it is accurate data.

also going with less CUs and super high clocks can actually be beneficial in some areas. meaning even tho the PS5 would have less TFLOPS it could still have advantages over the SX because of the high clock rate

Is anyone else getting sick of this trolling?
Github was debunked by AMD.

MARTYWOLF

Best accent is strayan i tells ye

Neofire

C'mon he's good people and they make some fun content. I don't think he deserves that level of dismissal (or a coy coronavirus jab either. Probably a little too fresh to do that given how easy it seems to catch and the deaths that've happened so far).

Because it's about more than just the narrow-minded obsession with teraflops. CPU, cache levels/speeds, the SSD , possible persistent memory, GB per TF ratio, OS optimization/utilities, OS resource footprint, dev team talent/size/time/budget resources, etc.

It all adds up, there's so much more to consoles than raw TF count.
In your opinion do you think the ps5 will be a 36-40 CU GPU?

ethomaz

Banned
According to Komachi, FCLK is Infinity Fabric Clock. So assuming Oberon is the PS5, its not monolithic? Why would you need infinity fabric for a monolithic chip? Its entire function is to act as a high bandwidth interconnect between multiple dies.
I don’t know for what FCLK is but from your description maybe it is a thing in APUs because you CPU and GPU linked.
If I’m not wrong the I/O controller is even in different process in AMD CPUs.

Monolithic is a big vague imo because AMD chips can be only one but using different dies even with different process.

MARTYWOLF

4 DAYS TILL MS GAMESTACK EVENT SO PUMPED! On first day there is talk off getting gears 5 running on consoles and pc it appears to me this is perfect time to talk about SMART DELIVERY as we know gears 5 was shown to phil with enhancements be awesome if they talk about smart delivery

And then day 2 its Series X talkkkkkkkkk

RasAlGhoul

4 DAYS TILL MS GAMESTACK EVENT SO PUMPED! On first day there is talk off getting gears 5 running on consoles and pc it appears to me this is perfect time to talk about SMART DELIVERY as we know gears 5 was shown to phil with enhancements be awesome if they talk about smart delivery

And then day 2 its Series X talkkkkkkkkk

That sounds beyond boring. Have fun!

THE:MILKMAN

He's been right and wrong hopefully his source isnt risking too much if accurate not worth releasing info over a job

I'm always perplexed with how an unknown source could possibly be at risk? If it is ~9.2-10.24TF or 36/40CUs then so be it.

On another subject I really am wondering why we have so many insiders with varying/inconsistent specs for PS5 when XSX/XSS has been so consistent (4+/12+TF) over a very long (over a year) period of time and coming from just a core group of Xbox sites/fans.

Just what is really going on here?

MARTYWOLF

I'm always perplexed with how an unknown source could possibly be at risk? If it is ~9.2-10.24TF or 36/40CUs then so be it.

On another subject I really am wondering why we have so many insiders with varying/inconsistent specs for PS5 when XSX/XSS has been so consistent (4+/12+TF) over a very long (over a year) period of time and coming from just a core group of Xbox sites/fans.

Yeah I mean surely its not the same guy that leaked all the other AMD stuff for him that was accurate if thats the case id assume AMD would know who it is by now aha

semicool

Banned

Bingo

ethomaz

Banned
I'm behind on what people know.

There's no 7nm EUV this year from AMD. And this includes next gen consoles.

It's all about minor enhancements on current 7nm ("7nm+").
Actually AMD is calling everting 7nm only.
So it can be 7N+ (EUV) or just 7N or 7NP.

From the 50% perf. per watt gain with RDNA2 I will be surprised if it is not 7nm+ EUV.

Last edited:
Actually AMD is calling everting 7nm only.
So it can be 7N+ (EUV) or just 7N or 7NP.

From the 50% perf. per watt gain with RDNA2 I will be surprised if it is not 7nm+ EUV.

AMD's Zen 3 and RDNA 2 products for this year are already confirmed not to be EUV.

Applies to Zen 3, RDNA2, and therefore most likely both next gen consoles. Architectures being tied to manufacturing nodes etc.

Edit: removed knobbish comment. :/

Last edited:
I don’t know for what FCLK is but from your description maybe it is a thing in APUs because you CPU and GPU linked.
If I’m not wrong the I/O controller is even in different process in AMD CPUs.
AMD's Ryzen 3000 CPU's use infinity fabric to connect the I/O Die to the Core Complex Die(s). Because there are multiple dies, its normally referred to as an MCM (multi-chip module), because it uses multiple chips.
Conversely Intel CPU's, AMD and Nvidia's GPU's and AMD's Ryzen 1000/2000 chips were all monolithic, because they only use one chip or die for the whole processor. The core logic and the I/O logic are on the same chip.

Monolithic is a big vague imo because AMD chips can be only one but using different dies even with different process.
As I explained above, monolithic just means a single chip. In the case of console APU's both the graphics logic, and compute logic are on the same die alongside the I/O logic. AMD's chips don't have to be MCM. As evidenced by the console APU's in the PS4/XB1, the Series X, the Ryzen 4000 mobile chips etc.

D

Deleted member 779727

Unconfirmed Member
I know much more about next gen since I came back to GAF and this thread in particular. If you cannot read between lines, it's your problem.

Also, you reek of entitlement like a little princess.

Mk5fUfc.png

Official news from AMD, Sony, and Microsoft has given us more than any leak or insider has, but the thread has been funny that's for sure. But entitled? If give me leaks is what you concluded from reading my post, then you've misunderstood the point I was making.

Anyway, both consoles having their full reveal in early/mid June is something I'm hoping for, possibly even July.

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Banned
AMD's Zen 3 and RDNA 2 products for this year are already confirmed not to be EUV.

Applies to Zen 3, RDNA2, and therefore most likely both next gen consoles. Architectures being tied to manufacturing nodes etc.

It's just how it is. Feel free to do the whole "internetizen denying how things are" thing though!
Makes no sense for RDNA2.
And I recall AMD saying it can be EUV but it will be called 7nm.

“In order to avoid confusion, AMD is dropping the ‘+’ from its roadmaps. In speaking with AMD, the company confirmed that its next generations of 7nm products are likely to use process enhancements and the best high-performance libraries for the target market, however it is not explicity stating whether this would be N7P or N7+, just that it will be ‘better’ than the base N7 used in its first 7nm line.”

Last edited:
A bit of research on FCLK.
It is part of any Ryzen Core so the APUs will have it... it link basically everything memory, I/O, etc etc etc.

Tried to copy some parts but my phone fucked it so read the link kkkkkk

Infinity Fabric is an interconnect. Its not a part of the Zen core at all. It is a high bandwidth data fabric used to connect multiple dies or chiplets together. It wouldn't be used in an APU because all of the logic is on the same die, you don't need a data fabric interconnect to link them. Infinity fabric also has a really high energy cost associated with it.

Think of Infinity fabric as an intercity highway, used to connect multiple cities together. You wouldn't need an intercity highway inside a city to connect to neighborhoods - regular roads would do just fine.

In your opinion do you think the ps5 will be a 36-40 CU GPU?

See, that's part of the problem: you're only focused on TFs. It's like you guys have been duped into another bit wars or resolutiongate, but now you've just replaced it with teraflops.

All I've observed from the Github info and other datamined testing data is a reference to a 36/40 CU Oberon chip that has a strong tie to the PS5. And I've observed what may be a mix of Ariel iGPU data on that chip and native data on that chip. All I've heard from most insiders are numbers higher than 9.2TF.

I've seen some parts of the Github info and other testing data that isn't exactly congruent (and other testing data that is certainly outdated now such as 14Gbps GDDR6 chips for Oberon), and I've seen some insiders be proven outright wrong, skirt vetting, have outdated sources or have questionable quirks to the way they talk about things.

So I feel like you're not asking me a question, but to make an ultimatum, and that doesn't seem fair given what we're trying to talk about here. What I can say is that I personally value actual data/information (even if it's just partial) a bit more than going off hearsay. While I'm therefore more inclined to believe the testing data, that doesn't mean I don't also believe some of the other things many insiders speculate/rumor, either. It doesn't have to be either/or and I've been trying for a long time to work with both types of info.

Is there a scenario where I think a 36/40CU PS5 is real? Yes there is. It is because that's the one scenario we have any actual data on. But for me it's not the only scenario, either. It's a most probable scenario, but that doesn't guarantee it'll come to pass (just that it has the highest likelihood of coming to fruition). What it does, though, is help me easily filter out completely unlikely scenarios, like that super-recent 15.1TF rumor (I mean look into it carefully, you can't miss the holes), and I even consider the 7TF Flute thing people were passing around the other day as being very unlikely, too (partly because that was for a much older test).

And, just like how I don't really think any of the more trustworthy insiders are making things up for an agenda, I don't think the Github stuff or the testing data is being fabricated, either. Not by MS, anyway, because something like that would pretty much ruin the progress they made with Sony on a mutual agreement for Azure cloud server sharing between the two going forward. And I highly doubt AMD would be doing something like that simply to spin a narrative against one of their big clients, either. Unless the other assumption is Komachi, Rogame etc. are actually Sony plants intentionally spreading FUD to hurt Sony and PS5 when....the only reason to do that would be to trick Microsoft...who don't need data miners to access information they very likely already know about themselves (and likewise Sony with regards to Microsoft).

I have other ideas on what PS5 could be besides a 36/40CU chip but the window on those is closing the further into Spring we get and no actual testing data pops up to match with it. Regardless, I think people should be really happy with what we get anyway. At the very least we're getting a PS5 that's very likely gonna be at least 7x as powerful (once you account for RDNA efficiency and even a modest (15%) RDNA2 efficiency over RDNA1) as the base PS4, and that's saying a lot! If PS5 hits near my hopeful low-end of a better-case scenario (10.44TF), then that's effectively an 8x increase over base PS4.

You combine that with a really cool (and super-fast) SSD, 16GB GDDR6 memory, high memory bandwidth, 3D audio and more for possibly $450 or even $399 and I'm like, how can anyone other than a Sony diehard who looks as PS vs Xbox like a Vietnam vet, be disappointed with that level of performance? In that context who cares if MS managed 12, because look at the costs they'd have to eat to manage that, and that's even at a higher MSRP (most likely)!

So if you want to know what I think, that's what I think about all this stuff. You're gonna get a very capable PS5 regardless where it lands, and I have my own reasons (through weighed analyzing) to think it's going to land in a particular performance range. That doesn't make it any lesser of a next-gen console than the XSX, however, because I know TFs are hardly the only thing that define a console's worth.

D

Deleted member 779727

Unconfirmed Member
Last Gen before the Launch of PS4 and Xbox One. Sony originally was going to use 4 Gigs of GDDR5 in the PS4. So Microsoft even with a weaker GPU thought they still had an advantage. The Xbox One Would have a Dram advantage. So even with a weaker GPU they would have been the better overall System.

Well Sony was able to negotiate and get more GDDR5 Memory at a great Price and caught Microsoft with their pants down. Because the 8GB of Memory in the PS4 made it the better system at a cheaper price. It was a great move and decision by Sony in upping the memory.

The other Rumor was the Sony and Microsoft was looking at doing heavy DRM on game content last gen. Because of pressure from Game Devs and Publishers. Because of all the bootleg games and hacked games on PS3 and Xbox 360. Sony saw the Blow back Microsoft got and dropped and refused to do the DRM.

What lead many to believe this rumor was how many patents Sony had for DRM. Including DRM Chip patents on Blu-ray Disc.

Oh, I thought O'dium was talking about the leak which said Sony cancelled plans to launch the PS5 in 2019 due to being underpowered. Maybe I misunderstood?

Last edited by a moderator:
See, that's part of the problem: you're only focused on TFs. It's like you guys have been duped into another bit wars or resolutiongate, but now you've just replaced it with teraflops.

All I've observed from the Github info and other datamined testing data is a reference to a 36/40 CU Oberon chip that has a strong tie to the PS5. And I've observed what may be a mix of Ariel iGPU data on that chip and native data on that chip. All I've heard from most insiders are numbers higher than 9.2TF.

I've seen some parts of the Github info and other testing data that isn't exactly congruent (and other testing data that is certainly outdated now such as 14Gbps GDDR6 chips for Oberon), and I've seen some insiders be proven outright wrong, skirt vetting, have outdated sources or have questionable quirks to the way they talk about things.

So I feel like you're not asking me a question, but to make an ultimatum, and that doesn't seem fair given what we're trying to talk about here. What I can say is that I personally value actual data/information (even if it's just partial) a bit more than going off hearsay. While I'm therefore more inclined to believe the testing data, that doesn't mean I don't also believe some of the other things many insiders speculate/rumor, either. It doesn't have to be either/or and I've been trying for a long time to work with both types of info.

Is there a scenario where I think a 36/40CU PS5 is real? Yes there is. It is because that's the one scenario we have any actual data on. But for me it's not the only scenario, either. It's a most probable scenario, but that doesn't guarantee it'll come to pass (just that it has the highest likelihood of coming to fruition). What it does, though, is help me easily filter out completely unlikely scenarios, like that super-recent 15.1TF rumor (I mean look into it carefully, you can't miss the holes), and I even consider the 7TF Flute thing people were passing around the other day as being very unlikely, too (partly because that was for a much older test).

And, just like how I don't really think any of the more trustworthy insiders are making things up for an agenda, I don't think the Github stuff or the testing data is being fabricated, either. Not by MS, anyway, because something like that would pretty much ruin the progress they made with Sony on a mutual agreement for Azure cloud server sharing between the two going forward. And I highly doubt AMD would be doing something like that simply to spin a narrative against one of their big clients, either. Unless the other assumption is Komachi, Rogame etc. are actually Sony plants intentionally spreading FUD to hurt Sony and PS5 when....the only reason to do that would be to trick Microsoft...who don't need data miners to access information they very likely already know about themselves (and likewise Sony with regards to Microsoft).

I have other ideas on what PS5 could be besides a 36/40CU chip but the window on those is closing the further into Spring we get and no actual testing data pops up to match with it. Regardless, I think people should be really happy with what we get anyway. At the very least we're getting a PS5 that's very likely gonna be at least 7x as powerful (once you account for RDNA efficiency and even a modest (15%) RDNA2 efficiency over RDNA1) as the base PS4, and that's saying a lot! If PS5 hits near my hopeful low-end of a better-case scenario (10.44TF), then that's effectively an 8x increase over base PS4.

You combine that with a really cool (and super-fast) SSD, 16GB GDDR6 memory, high memory bandwidth, 3D audio and more for possibly $450 or even $399 and I'm like, how can anyone other than a Sony diehard who looks as PS vs Xbox like a Vietnam vet, be disappointed with that level of performance? In that context who cares if MS managed 12, because look at the costs they'd have to eat to manage that, and that's even at a higher MSRP (most likely)!

So if you want to know what I think, that's what I think about all this stuff. You're gonna get a very capable PS5 regardless where it lands, and I have my own reasons (through weighed analyzing) to think it's going to land in a particular performance range. That doesn't make it any lesser of a next-gen console than the XSX, however, because I know TFs are hardly the only thing that define a console's worth.
What did you see in the Github leak that makes you think the most probable scenario is 36 active CU’s, with 4 disabled? I’m not being a smartass either. I really wanna know what you see, because all I see is 36 CU’s active for BC testing and nothing more to glean from it. Maybe I’m missing something.

B_Boss

Might jump back to Division 2, seems like it's feeling good. I liked it first but then I'm not a grindy gamer, can't take it for too long.

Well Haz, if you're not into grindy games bro, don't play it lol. While its highly improved (the grind and knowing what you have, quality of loot, etc) its definitely still a grind.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member

It's just how it is. Feel free to do the whole "internetizen denying how things are" thing though!
I haven't seen any confirmation of any of what you claim here, please post sources.

TLZ

Banned
The best Brit accent is the Manc accent you. And the worst, well, it should be obvious ;)

Not to be debated ;)

What did you see in the Github leak that makes you think the most probable scenario is 36 active CU’s, with 4 disabled? I’m not being a smartass either. I really wanna know what you see, because all I see is 36 CU’s active for BC testing and nothing more to glean from it. Maybe I’m missing something.

It's not even so much what I saw in there (btw I personally still at least feel the actual chip is a bit bigger than that), versus a lot of surrounding circumstantial information. Basically what I'm referring to (in no particular order):

1. -Rumors of PS5 releasing in 2019
  2. -Supposed delay of PS5 launch in 2019 thanks to stronger-than-expected sales performance
  3. -Earlier quotes of Sony saying something to the effect of targeting affordability (TBF could be interpreted in different ways, i.e
  4. subsidization through software sales and subscriptions)
  5. -Somewhat recent-ish comments from Jim Ryan once again interpreted as aiming for a solid price
  6. -Recent Bloomberg article giving a price estimate on the BOM
  7. -Zhuge EX (reliable sales insider) giving their own BOM estimates mostly matching up with the Bloomberg article
  8. -Relative history of Sony console pricing in the past (i.e they've always targeted being at most only as expensive as the competition, never exceeding them in price. I.e PS1 was about in-between N64 and Saturn in pricing (actually when you consider you had to get an extra game and memory card with the PS1 to match the launch Saturn package it was only about $25 cheaper but that's still cheaper), PS2 did not exceed OG Xbox in price and was a bit cheaper than OG Xbox because you needed to get the $30 DVD remote to use OG Xbox as DVD player, etc.)
  9. -PS4 doing very well selling at $399 even if just for a slight loss for a few months (the speculated $450 BOM estimate is probably not that much higher than PS4's BOM at its launch)
  10. -Base PS4/PS4 Pro sales ratio very strongly favoring base PS4, even just looking at holiday 2016-onward (might've convinced Sony to take a more conservative yet balanced approach in system design knowing they'd have leeway to go cheaper than MS, who likely will have to price themselves north of Sony since they've had little choice but to chase the power narrative this time)
  11. -Quietness from Sony recently mirroring their quietness around PS4 Pro shortly after MS revealed the X (yes the PS team has completely changed but the pattern is still the same).
  12. -Sony opening focus on PS5 news on speed, particularly the SSD speed
  13. -MS and Sony likely knowing a good bit more of each other's specs than any dataminers or insiders, yet MS still chose to openly state their 12TF figure among other things somewhat brazenly (I would also say they know a good bit on each other's specs because of future necessities such as Sony's utilization of the Azure servers for PS cloud backend)
  14. -Sudden PS departures such as Shawn Layden which has still gone unexplained (idea seems to be he had disagreements with Jim Ryan)
  15. -Jim Ryan's nature as a "business-first" guy who likes to maximize revenue and profit; it doesn't matter what crazy stuff Mark Cerny can technically do, if he doesn't get approval from the top to do them, then he can't do them.
  16. -Unquestionable PS4 success (selling even faster than PS1 and even PS2 for a good long while) accomplished with a relatively conservative performance target hitting $399 MSRP at its launch (likely solidifying the desire to pursue similar results with PS5. Even if XSX doesn't screw up with Kinect or "TV TV TV", Sony would have effectively pushed them into a power narrative that by necessity puts them out of a sweetspot $399 range)
  17. -Jim Ryan's comments about wanting PS4 owners to transition to PS5 as fast as possible
  18. -Persistent Oberon testing data spanning from June 2019 to January 2020 (that's this year btw)
  19. -All Oberon testing data being relatively consistent (that we know of) in terms of CU counts from revision to revision (that CU count could be referencing Ariel iGPU data but it'd seem some of the dataminers have provided more context on some of the more recent test data being ran on Oberon outside of Ariel iGPU? Still trying to get a definitive answer on that one)/
  20. -A 36/40 (perhaps even somewhat larger) GPU being very well-fed by a 256-bit memory bus
  21. -Sony seemingly wanting big volumes in stores, best way to hit that is to disable 4CUs on the chip for better yields (granted maybe the cooling talk is because they're going with a full 40CU chip but just slightly lower clocked? Dunno)

With all of that said, again it's not the only scenario I can see playing out for the system. I wouldn't even say the delta between it and a scenario with a somewhat larger chip is that big TBQH. But all of those reasons above are why I think 36/40 is the most probable (and I hope folks can see that all of it is literally just based on me looking at those mentioned points as neutral as possible i.e not pro-MS/anti-Sony or any BS like that. But all of that stuff does begin to stack on top of one another and leads down an inevitable conclusion IMHO).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The best Brit accent is the Manc accent you. And the worst, well, it should be obvious ;)

Not to be debated ;)

The Manc kinda funny but I like it, Scouser is pretty hard to understand. London/official accent is the best. MARTYWOLF MARTYWOLF Strayan is hard overall but plenty of comedians out there plus I know plenty through Nissan Patrol related forums and groups :messenger_winking_tongue:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well Haz, if you're not into grindy games bro, don't play it lol. While its highly improved (the grind and knowing what you have, quality of loot, etc) its definitely still a grind.

I have it already and I love it, not a bad idea to jump for some hours of joy with the lack of great games now.

It's not even so much what I saw in there (btw I personally still at least feel the actual chip is a bit bigger than that), versus a lot of surrounding circumstantial information. Basically what I'm referring to (in no particular order):

1. -Rumors of PS5 releasing in 2019
  2. -Supposed delay of PS5 launch in 2019 thanks to stronger-than-expected sales performance
  3. -Earlier quotes of Sony saying something to the effect of targeting affordability (TBF could be interpreted in different ways, i.e
  4. subsidization through software sales and subscriptions)
  5. -Somewhat recent-ish comments from Jim Ryan once again interpreted as aiming for a solid price
  6. -Recent Bloomberg article giving a price estimate on the BOM
  7. -Zhuge EX (reliable sales insider) giving their own BOM estimates mostly matching up with the Bloomberg article
  8. -Relative history of Sony console pricing in the past (i.e they've always targeted being at most only as expensive as the competition, never exceeding them in price. I.e PS1 was about in-between N64 and Saturn in pricing (actually when you consider you had to get an extra game and memory card with the PS1 to match the launch Saturn package it was only about $25 cheaper but that's still cheaper), PS2 did not exceed OG Xbox in price and was a bit cheaper than OG Xbox because you needed to get the $30 DVD remote to use OG Xbox as DVD player, etc.)
  9. -PS4 doing very well selling at $399 even if just for a slight loss for a few months (the speculated $450 BOM estimate is probably not that much higher than PS4's BOM at its launch)
  10. -Base PS4/PS4 Pro sales ratio very strongly favoring base PS4, even just looking at holiday 2016-onward (might've convinced Sony to take a more conservative yet balanced approach in system design knowing they'd have leeway to go cheaper than MS, who likely will have to price themselves north of Sony since they've had little choice but to chase the power narrative this time)
  11. -Quietness from Sony recently mirroring their quietness around PS4 Pro shortly after MS revealed the X (yes the PS team has completely changed but the pattern is still the same).
  12. -Sony opening focus on PS5 news on speed, particularly the SSD speed
  13. -MS and Sony likely knowing a good bit more of each other's specs than any dataminers or insiders, yet MS still chose to openly state their 12TF figure among other things somewhat brazenly (I would also say they know a good bit on each other's specs because of future necessities such as Sony's utilization of the Azure servers for PS cloud backend)
  14. -Sudden PS departures such as Shawn Layden which has still gone unexplained (idea seems to be he had disagreements with Jim Ryan)
  15. -Jim Ryan's nature as a "business-first" guy who likes to maximize revenue and profit; it doesn't matter what crazy stuff Mark Cerny can technically do, if he doesn't get approval from the top to do them, then he can't do them.
  16. -Unquestionable PS4 success (selling even faster than PS1 and even PS2 for a good long while) accomplished with a relatively conservative performance target hitting $399 MSRP at its launch (likely solidifying the desire to pursue similar results with PS5. Even if XSX doesn't screw up with Kinect or "TV TV TV", Sony would have effectively pushed them into a power narrative that by necessity puts them out of a sweetspot $399 range)
  17. -Jim Ryan's comments about wanting PS4 owners to transition to PS5 as fast as possible
  18. -Persistent Oberon testing data spanning from June 2019 to January 2020 (that's this year btw)
  19. -All Oberon testing data being relatively consistent (that we know of) in terms of CU counts from revision to revision (that CU count could be referencing Ariel iGPU data but it'd seem some of the dataminers have provided more context on some of the more recent test data being ran on Oberon outside of Ariel iGPU? Still trying to get a definitive answer on that one)/
  20. -A 36/40 (perhaps even somewhat larger) GPU being very well-fed by a 256-bit memory bus
  21. -Sony seemingly wanting big volumes in stores, best way to hit that is to disable 4CUs on the chip for better yields (granted maybe the cooling talk is because they're going with a full 40CU chip but just slightly lower clocked? Dunno)

With all of that said, again it's not the only scenario I can see playing out for the system. I wouldn't even say the delta between it and a scenario with a somewhat larger chip is that big TBQH. But all of those reasons above are why I think 36/40 is the most probable (and I hope folks can see that all of it is literally just based on me looking at those mentioned points as neutral as possible i.e not pro-MS/anti-Sony or any BS like that. But all of that stuff does begin to stack on top of one another and leads down an inevitable conclusion IMHO).

Except that’s not what devs are telling me. The system is not 9.2TF. I would say it’s between 11.5-13TF...

In Fact had a Dev tell me in a message off site that a recent leak was 100% right with PS5. Just waiting on him to tell me which one.

For the record I can back what I’m saying up if Mod of War Mod of War wants to verify it. That I’m waiting on a response to which leak by a Dev.

Last edited:
Except that’s not what devs are telling me. The system is not 9.2TF. I would say it’s between 11.5-13TF...

In Fact had a Dev tell me in a message off site that a recent leak was 100% right with PS5. Just waiting on him to tell me which one.

For the record I can back what I’m saying up if Mod of War Mod of War wants to verify it. That I’m waiting on a response to which leak by a Dev.
Please do verify. Im sick an fucking tired of that Github trash.

Pn7HBaQ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom