• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart360

I can already see 'sales' with next gen is going to be the what 'exclusives' was this gen in the post OneX era. Unless you have stocks in Sony, sales mean nothing.

Farrell55

Banned
both use AMD tech, and to my knowledge Raytracing hardware in rdna2 is directly tied to the amount of CUs, meaning the SX will most likely be ahead there as well
Cerny stated that every Cu has a Raytracing Intersection unit

Ps5 36 cu's = 36 intersection Unit's @ 2.23ghz peak sometimes lower

Xbox sx 52 Cu's = 52 intersection units @ 1.82 ghz anytime

So of course Xbox sx will be better/stronger at Raytracing

Last edited:

dangopee

Neo Member
In summary:

- PS5 has less TFLOPS than XSX but I don't really give a shit about that. What I really care about is that the ray intersection units are a part of each CU, and the PS5 has significantly less CU than XSX. That means significantly less ray tracing capability, which will have a way bigger impact on visuals than the shader TFLOPS. That said, narrow-and-fast (high clock low CU) IS better than wide-and-slow (low clock high CU) in general and more efficient. In other words, workloads that can't scale all the way to 52 CU's will run the same or faster on 36 higher clocked CUs.

- CPUs are basically on-par, but I am skeptical of this variable clock rate shit. It seems like if you want to take full advantage of AVX 256 instructions on the CPU and also want to take full advantage of the GPU, the system is going to have to down-clock.

- 16GB GDDR6 but we don't know the bandwidth. The extremely fast SSD will make 16GB much more valuable than if say the PS4 had 16GB, because you don't need as much data just sitting in RAM doing nothing.

- The SSD/IO tech is actually a significant game changer IMO but all people will care about is TFLOPS.

- I really don't care about this audio processor thing. But apparently it's about the size of a single CU of the GPU, so it's not like they could have had significantly more CUs if they didn't include the audio processor.

There's no way this thing is more than $499 or they are insane. It should really be $399 IMO and if XSX and PS5 are same price that will be insane. I'm tempted to just wait a few years for a PS5 Pro unless an exclusive that I really want to play comes out. Overall not anywhere near as excited as I was for PS4 or even PS3. The hardware seems too trade-offy for me, but then again I'm someone happily willing to pay $599 for a top spec console.

Last edited:

ghausst

Neo Member
I think that if lockhart does exist, playstation 5 is dead, It's looked like a devolver video at E3 without being fun.
This is some Wii U level of poor communication to me.

will this thread be over or will it stay and wait for lockhart eventually ?

YodaBB

Captura-de-pantalla-2020-03-18-a-las-17-42-26.png
Some of the numbers in PS5 column need "Upto"s added

Marlenus

Btw, how come XSX doesn't seem to have problems with BC and PS5 does? I thought it would be easier due to the PS4 architecture?

APIs. I assume a few PS4 games are using really low level API calls that may not be 100% compatible with RDNA2 because they relied on specifics of the hardware implementation.

Shio

I think everyone is missing the part where Cerny was talking about the performance gain from higher clock speed instead of lower clock but more CU's ?

Realistically I reckon it's probably on par with the SeX in terms of max power considering this and the SSD speeds.

But Sony will have the cheaper price at $399 for sure but at the end of the day people play games at 4K 60FPS who is going to care ?

SeX will be $499 and as people do, they will buy whatever is cheapest.

PS5 Pro will be the 8K system and realistically most people only have 4K TV currently so no point in pushing the power to the limit. This isn't a PC so it's a different preformance scale so PS5 will not hold back anything.

Smart move by Sony but poor delivery
THey could have revealed whatever specs they wanted to be honest and if there had at least one game to show for it (Gran Turismo?, God of War? Horizon2?) then people would have still loved it

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I was thinking what if the XSX never was announced and this is what whe would have got for next gen and MS followed it with something similair. Would we still be dissapointed 🤔 , it is weaker compared to XSX but its still powerfull enough to produce some incredible looking games.

Banned
Btw, how come XSX doesn't seem to have problems with BC and PS5 does? I thought it would be easier due to the PS4 architecture?

Microsoft invested heavily in its BC team. they had that team working full time on it for at least a year.
their method already worked for Xbox and Xbox 360 games, so if you're able to run even tricky 360 games like Halo Reach on a potatoe like the base Xbox One, you can easily run Xbox One on this new beast of a system, especially with how similar they are compared to 360 and og Xbox.

icerock

In hindsight, the specs look disappointing but if someone told me the 36CU count was final, I wouldn't have guessed such clock speeds. These high clock speeds also bring a bigger question mark in form of noise and heat this thing would generate.

I'm honestly puzzled by their decision to deliver this kind of presentation 2 days after MS confirmed full spec for their machine with a proper breakdown. Sony should've taken more time and revealed this thing with games, because one thing which can offset talk about spec sheet is when people see kick-ass games. But then, they went out of their way to deliver a 50 min presentation which focused largely on how amazeballs their SSD is, while downplaying the things which are lacking.

Specs are all that's going to dominate the conversation on the internet until their next event and they're not in favor of them, bizzare decision-making by their marketing.

The amount of posts downplaying the difference in power between both machines have me shocked, 2TF of Difference is like going from nothing to Spiderman, GOD of War or Uncharted 4 lol.

Also it seems no ones remember the shitshow comparing trees, vegetation density etc on early games this gen, now nothing of that matters? Lol the bias is real.

Difference between a 9TF and 12TF GPU would be that one renders at 1800p, while the one at native 4K. You'll have to watch DF videos to see which one renders one extra pixel in that grass in the background.

Needless to say Sony tried a hail-mary with 10+TF approach, let's see how it translates but the difference is going to be marginal between multi-plat titles.

Nickolaidas Nickolaidas nah man, I was given info, and from a friend too, and I passed that on.

Whatever happens, happens. That’s fine. It was second hand info, and I made it a bit of fun. And because of that, we had a lot of pigeon laughs 🤣

Bur I’m a big boy, and will take my lashings.

It's all in good fun man, we are all bunch of nerds, posting on one of the nerdiest forums on the internet. Just because you passed on some wrong info you were fed doesn't mean you have take lashings lol.

Although, I'm very intrigued how all this talk of 11TF or higher generated because even looking at the specs. PS5 to me based on specs sounds like a 8-9TF machine when it was being designed from the ground up, all the ridiculous high clocks scream to me last year attempt to close the gap.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I expected the PS5 to be at 36CUs for the express reason of having comprehensive BC. Looks to be under 100 games at launch. MS runs their Xbox original/360 BC under a hypervisor that adjust frequencies and has a BC profile for each game. From what I've seen, they have BC with all Xbox One games. Why PS5 can't do all PS4 is curious. D dark10x any ideas?

Akuji

funny how much talk here is about which console is stronger. when all that sony did was saying "we bring those ASICs"
sadly that makes us not really know what the next playstation is capable of. Also we dont know if the new XBox has a few ASICs under it sleeve as well.

ridicouless machine that ps5 but will be a learning curve to get the horsepower on the screen. thats probably why game reveals will be very late.
would've liked 12 or 13tflops but thats probably the more mass market way to do things. I dont expect the PS5 to be cheaper ... hopefully its not more expensive then XSX.

Let the war begin. PS5 exclusives will probably be the top of gaming once again but we'll see.

Dory16

Banned
In summary:

- PS5 has less TFLOPS than XSX but I don't really give a shit about that. What I really care about is that the ray intersection units are a part of each CU, and the PS5 has significantly less CU than XSX. That means significantly less ray tracing capability, which will have a way bigger impact on visuals than the shader TFLOPS. That said, narrow-and-fast (high clock low CU) IS better than wide-and-slow (low clock high CU) in general and more efficient. In other words, workloads that can't scale all the way to 52 CU's will run the same or faster on 36 higher clocked CUs.

- CPUs are basically on-par., but I am skeptical of this variable clock rate shit. It seems like if you want to take full advantage of AVX 256 instructions on the CPU and also want to take full advantage of the GPU, the system is going to have to down-clock.

- 16GB GDDR6 but we don't know the bandwidth. The extremely fast SSD will make 16GB much more valuable than if say the PS4 had 16GB, because you don't need as much data just sitting in RAM doing nothing.

- The SSD/IO tech is actually a significant game changer IMO but all people will care about is TFLOPS.

- I really don't care about this audio processor thing. But apparently it's about the size of a single CU of the GPU, so it's not like they could have had significantly more CUs if they didn't include the audio processor.

There's no way this thing is more than $499 or they are insane. It should really be $399 IMO and if XSX and PS5 are same price that will be insane. I'm tempted to just wait a few years for a PS5 Pro unless an exclusive that I really want to play comes out. Overall not anywhere near as excited as I was for PS4 or even PS3. The hardware seems too trade-offy for me, but then again I'm someone happily willing to pay $599 for a top spec console.

But but Tom Fisher predicted the number of XSX teraflops accurately and he said that the PS5 had 13.3 :( :(

Fake

Aye, I'll be having crow for dinner. The github leak was early but mostly right.
1.8TF difference. 20%.
I was hoping for at least around 11.
Fuck.

It better be cheap, Sony, otherwise I'll flip you a birdie and go full on PC only.

I guess the eyes can be finally focus on design and price.

FranXico

I was thinking what if the XSX never was announced and this is what whe would have got for next gen and MS followed it with something similair. Would we still be dissapointed 🤔 , it is weaker compared to XSX but its still powerfull enough to produce some incredible looking games.
It's not as bad as in previous gens, but still disappointing

Pallas

Damn so the Github was mostly right, lot of posters were swearing it was incorrect or old(it was probably old considering the upclock on the PS5) and all we were hearing from creditable people on the industry was that PS5 would be stronger.

Still it looks like a great console, kind of bummed out about the SSD storage though. Looks like both companies went with a different strategy.

PS5 - Crazy fast and hits lighter

Series X - Slower but packs a mammoth punch

Last edited:

Shambala

Man I guess no insider won my $100 🤷‍♂️. GitHub loyalist I beg thy forgiveness 🙏. I was blinded by the flops but now I see the Tflops. Had fun in this thread. Hopefully we will be around next gen to do this again 😂😂😂

So the Github leak was actually right in terms of the CU count. Interesting that it can clock up to 2.23 Ghz which makes me more curious about desktop RDNA2.

Not afraid to admit that I was wrong about the power disparity, but even then, a 17% teraflop difference is nowhere near as large as the approximate 40% difference that we saw between the PS4 and XB1. And if the lower CU count means lower prices, then it's a matter of price vs. power as the deciding factor in the market.

doge_life02

Neo Member
I think that it now makes sense that there will be a lockhart and ps5 pro coming due to the difference of power of both systems one goes for speed and one goes for the premium. and I do think lockhart will steal the ps5's thunder due to it being cheaper.

It is like xbox one x vs ps4 since microsoft already shown their premium console

Venom Snake

2.23GHz gpu sounds as soothing as a nuclear reactor failure. I am not convinced of such extremes.

After launch, i will wait a few months (or more) before I decide to buy it. To be honest I'd rather pay extra $ 100 and get more CU's with a lower clock frequency. :lollipop_unamused:

Because most of my friends will choose ps5 anyway it will be my primary console regardless of its specs. However, the whole hype went down from 10 to 6. And not because of these 10TF (it's still a lot), but Sony's desperation to achieve this value in a device with a relatively small volume. 36 blazing-hot CU's? I'm a bit worried.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I love how everyone is a developer here and understands how a difference of less than 2 TFLOPS means the end of ps5
Lol right? I little history everyone. PS1 and PS2 were less powerful than the competition. PS3 was unable to take advantage of it's power for years AND was more expensive the whole gen. They all managed just fine. The power advantage this gen was always gravy. PS gamers have always simply loved the games. Plus so many people already have PS4 I doubt a little difference in one area of the architecture will make them switch. Price will be far more important here

Gamernyc78

Banned
Man some of you are pathetic and didn’t even pay attention what Cerny said. The PS5 is basically going to be running at 10TF a majority of the time and will only drop if it has to. Somehow you fucks took that to mean, “OMG 9.2 WAS RIGHT!!! GITHUB WAS RIIIIIIIIGHT!” False. GitHub only gave part of the answer. If the PS5’s cooling solution is as robust as we are hearing, it’s not going to be a problem.

For what it is, PS5 is a monster, just not to the degree of XSX, but we are going from 1.84TF to 10.2TF. Do you people not understand how much of a leap that? Stop being fucking idiots and just appreciate this next gen is about to be amazing instead of acting like spoiled ass little children.

Also from gcn to RDNA

Imtjnotu

I guess the eyes can be finally focus on design and price.
i want to see some third party games side by side.

cerny talked about all this harmonious coherency shit and not a single game to show for it.

if he really made the most balanced system i want to see some damn games lol

Aceofspades

Banned
TF differences are marginal compared to last gen, 16% vs 40% last gen

Lets not forget that now we are at 4k so visual differences will be largely unnoticeable.

Im looking forward SSD solution for PS5 and Im happy that they fixed PS4 patching issue.

Also lets see how PS5 and XsX audio chips compare, Im really looking for that Cell SPUs for audio on PS5.

Nov can't come soon enough 😁

Dane

Damn so the Github was mostly right, lot of posters were swearing it was incorrect or old(it was probably old considering the upclock on the PS5) and all we were hearing from creditable people on the industry was that PS5 would be stronger.

Still it looks like a great console, kind of bummed out about the SSD storage though. Looks like both companies went with a different strategy.

PS5 - Crazy fast and hits lighter

Series X - Slower but packs a mammoth punch

Let me tell something to everyone

If Timdog is known for having friends at Xbox division and even spoke with the heads several times, then he had a potential credibility.

Reindeer

TF differences are marginal compared to last gen, 16% vs 40% last gen

Lets not forget that now we are at 4k so visual differences will be largely unnoticeable.

Im looking forward SSD solution for PS5 and Im happy that they fixed PS4 patching issue.

Also lets see how PS5 and XsX audio chips compare, Im really looking for that Cell SPUs for audio on PS5.

Nov can't come soon enough 😁
16% at best, realistically you looking at 20-25 at most times.

vpance

However, he sounded pretty reassuring that despite OVERCLOCKING THE FUCK OUT OF THE PS5 … it will be VERY quiet. This has my attention. How, Cerny? How will you make the PS5 so quiet when it's so overclocked?

If what Cerny says can be believed, then it just means they spent a substantial amount more money on cooling to maintain silence and performance.

It could be a disaster, since we have an idea of what RDNA's thermals are like at high clocks. But since it's RDNA2 maybe it's not that absurd with the improved efficiency.

Last edited:

Stuart360

All we need now is 'you know who' to give us one of his essays explaining to us how PS5 is actually more powerful. Of course that wont be for a couple of days as he tends to go invisible for a day or two whenever anything positive for Xbox, or negative for Playstation happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom